• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 862 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 862

Switchflip

'

"Something isn't right about this." Luna was saying to Shining Armor, surveying the chaotic scene of both ground and pegasi forces attempting to surround and destroy the gigantic draconic figure before them.

"Nothing has been right since this started." Shining retorted, to which Luna replied coldly;

"Don't you see it?" She stated like something should be immediately obvious. What it was eluded him, but the wording made him feel cold inside as he looked over to her for an explanation.

"It's eyes." She motioned a hoof for him to watch the actions of the draconic skeleton for a moment. His expression darkened.

"No. You're telling me that thing is not just being controlled but can act of its own volition!? How? Oh no, this plan won't work. We have to pull our troops back!" He started yelling out commands to be relayed.

"We realized too late." Luna spoke calmly as she tried to shield as many she could handle while one of the immense skeletal wings suddenly swept to the side in an arc and smashed into numerous flyers sending many crashing hard to the ground as well as multiple engaging unicorns flinging off in every direction. A great deal of them did not move again. At least one quarter of a full squad was killed in that single movement. This thing was even more devastating than expected.

"Lieutenant, launch retreat and regroup flares now!" Shining ordered. It was immediately obeyed. Squads in every direction were in disarray except for those surrounding to keep other puppeted dead from supporting the massive creature. Their battle plans were rendered useless instantly by the revelation this was not a mere puppet but something more. Somehow, this one held a dire intelligence. What did this mean? Luna could see his confusion.

"Pity this poor thing, prince." She intimated. What? Pity this killing machine? Had Luna gone totally mad?

"What are you talking about? It is murder incarnate!" He was so very angry. She shook her head solemnly.

"It is a prisoner bound to the will of another for who knows how long before it was unleashed upon us. This soul must be tormented beyond our comprehension. This former lover of our dear sister has made some grave pact and forced the true dead to his bidding here. It is no mere puppet, but the undead which stands in front of us." Luna could be heard to be far more angry than him about this fact. A revelation that made his mind reel. This dragon was an actual lich, but imprisoned? How much more insanity was going to be set loose here? He gritted his teeth as it slowly strode ever closer. Now what?

"Princess, what..can we do against such power?" Shining Armor nearly cried as he spoke of this prisoner.

"The only thing we can do, summon every unicorn in the ranks with any kind of healing spell no matter how insignificant. All of them, they will be needed to finish this." Luna bid him.

"How is that going to help us?" The prince of the crystal empire was extremely uncertain about this course of action.

"We shall set things aright with this one and free the soul trapped within that unworldly abomination. I suspect the fact it is a lich was not of their own doing either. Few to none would make such a decision knowing what awaited them." The expression she wore on her muzzle was a mix of anger and deep sadness difficult to copy or fathom.

"Have two squads break off and continue harassing the cables while we prepare." Luna commanded and he listened. She was certainly no slouch to have noticed so soon and not one to ever take lightly if her intent was serious.

"That blow to our forces should have been much more powerful. It is resisting. We may have occasion for turning this to our further advantage and we must not squander it. Messenger!" She called over to a personal night guard.

"We are still likely to take heavy losses by this action. Relay the situation to the field commander with all haste. They may have to make do with less of us." It was said in a simple matter-of-fact way, but the guard hesitated momentarily.

"My princess, should you fall my place is beside you." It was understandable she did not want to abandon Luna to her fate. Luna placed a hoof on her shoulder, she could tell it was needed.

"Princess, you honor me." The guard stammered out.

"Listen well. Legends are predicated on the actions of all, not one. Your service to me is already writ upon the sands of time. Fear nothing, and carry this legend aloft on swift wings. Whatever happens, we shall meet again. Now, show me the true resolve of my night guard." Luna removed her hoof from the guard as she turned and bolted at speed to leap into the air.

Luna watched a moment as the mare flew out of sight at great pace, hopefully to return and find all well.

"Impressive, as it should be." She returned her attention to the battle. The skirting units were holding off other puppets quite expertly. The bulk of the crystal paladins were elites, relying on the rest for support. Keeping the other puppets away from the enormous hulking figure was a priority. They could not afford to be swarmed while at the same time dealing with such a powerful opponent. The power on display was impressive. The mass of ethereal cables holding this one were in huge array. Clearly meant to keep it under control. There may even be more than one other controlling something this strong.

"It has cast no spells. It may prove it cannot be made to do so. A slight bit of fortune to us. Captain, to me." She looked to her night guard captain and he stood forth.

"Ready for orders, princess." He saluted.

"In a random pattern, focus all efforts on destroying the cables attached to the head. I feel the bulk of it's power resides in the body. If we can diminish their control over the entombed soul.." Luna trailed off a little.

"I understand. We fly." He saluted once more. The entire group followed Lunas lead and took off.

---

An aberrant soul strides forth upon the soil, placed there to tarnish and spoil