• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 852 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 852

Less Correct

.

The creeping sense of wrongness welling up from within the very stone of Canterlot seems to forebode some form of assault, not just upon the senses but causing the very air itself to take on some disconcerting demeanor. It lent to the air a feeling that perhaps even breathing was a risk on its own. What was this madness now consuming the once familiar castle? This was no haunted place. Though it stood through several assaults over the course of its existence, only once was it the scene of a truly brutal battle that was ended rapidly. There should be no ghosts of the past here. Certainly none given reason enough to trouble the living. What then? What manner of monstrosity casts it's shadow across those dwelling inside?

Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle, longtime friends and servants of the just are cautiously seeking answers in this maelstrom of terrible sensation. Answers that are not readily forthcoming. The stone walls hewn and carved exquisitely to form the grand hallways of the castle feel incorrect, out of place in their familiarity. Each as if spilling their own darkness across the floor. Every formerly familiar hoofstep echoing in a manner most chilling, as if their very strength sapped away by some unseen adversary. Both know how wrong this is. Heading towards Luna's chambers both realize the dark feeling from below is worse than ever. How does nopony else in the castle notice? They take no heed as if nothing out of place.

"Could it be because we were the Element wielders that we have some kind of immunity to whatever it is?" Twilight was puzzled. The way this was playing out did not match anything she ever experienced or read of before. Lacking a frame of reference was bad enough, having no clue at all was much worse. There was exactly no useful information at their disposal about this situation. The sheer absurdity of their predicament was not lost on either. Were it not for the pervasive feelings of everything being off kilter this would be funny, perhaps even hilarious. They were expected to attend dinner with that..thing. There were some hours before then, hopefully something useful could be determined in that time.

"That doesn't sound quite right does it? Luna and Celestia both wielded the Elements once themselves, but it was a very long time ago." Twilight glanced over as they prepared to enter the room. Would they find Luna within or some other horror?

"I may not know much about magic, but I know what I feel and it feels horrible. Ready?" She went to enter. As her forehoof went to touch the door it simply slipped open. Very odd. It felt, cold inside. Far colder than it should.

"Princess Luna? Hello?" Rainbow Dash walked in ahead of Twilight defensively. This was probably silly of her to do, but a natural response. A gentle music box tune was playing from within the chamber. A sad, reflective tune. No one was there.

"Where could she be at? I hope we don't have to wait until dinner to speak with her. She could be anywhere. I don't really want to get near that thing again if we can help it." Dash said, but noted her bed was unusually messy. That didn't seem like something she or the castle staff would normally leave as such. Both grimaced. Luna might be in need of help as well.

"I agree, but we might have to. We can't just leave or it would look strange and we have to find the real princesses. Plus, I still haven't been able to figure out why everyone else seems to see that..puppet as the real Celestia. It knows court protocols, even how she acts and thinks. I.." Some tears fell from her face. That was rare.

"What's wrong? I mean besides that.." Dash asked sincerely, worried about her well-being.

"It's just..what if one or both of them are....she.." Twilight was stumbling over words. That was a change.

"Wait wait. We don't know what's happened to them yet. I know you're worried about them, but there might be a bigger problem than just that." Rainbow could be surprisingly insightful sometimes.

"A bigger problem than both of them being replaced with something terrifying!?" Twilight snapped. Dash backed up.

"I'm sorry..please go on." Seeing the look on her longtime friends face made her realize just how tense she truly was.

"You know how much damage she..it could do? Not just here, but to the entire country? Just being on the throne gives it massive power. Maybe even more than you realize, Twilight. We couldn't act openly to fight them or anything, we'd be branded traitors, even you. Do you see what I'm saying?" This was definitely one of her more insightful moments. She had a terrifying point. Given their apparent knowledge of how things worked, this problem could go much further. It might even lend itself to crossing the great reaches of all Equestria and cause untold havoc across the land. As they pondered the implications of this the sense of rising darkness fell in all the more. The music box wound down and stopped warblingly.

"We have to keep looking. Just act casual, like we're out roaming the castle for a stroll. Let's head to the lower levels. I know you can tell as well, that feeling gets worse the farther down we go." Twilight looked out across the hallway both ways before they stepped back into it. They'd carefully worded questions to what few castle staff were encountered over the course of the day. None provided any real information. Definitely nothing concrete. Not one noticed anything unusual lately. This was after all, Canterlot. Something would have to be very strange indeed to garner real notice. Not finding Luna in her quarters was disturbing in its own right. During the day, the night princess would usually be right there.

The lack of her presence did not bode well. Was she also replaced by some abomination? What if they were both in some undiscovered prison somewhere? Dying? Dead? They must at least still be on the castle grounds. Removing them from the castle itself would surely have proven difficult, if not impossible. Unfortunately, this might not be true either. Everyone within was now suspect in some way. Did anyone present have anything to do with this? Whatever investigating they were doing had best be concluded in a hurry. The castle felt cold. Although grand and ancient, it never felt this cool before. The floor was fine as ever, but beneath their hooves felt warped in some untellable manner. Dinner hour was fast approaching.

---

Down the well..