• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 851 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 851

Specter

'

The looming draconic puppet silhouetted on the dark horizon almost inches closer. The enormous bulk of this skeletal abomination makes the very ground tremble as though in fear of it with each lurching step forward. A motion most disturbing. Such adornment, a mass of ethereal cables holding it aloft. The remains of wings spread wide adding to the considerable size of the monster before them. Royal guards look on in terror as it nears. Fear is wielded as if a weapon itself by their as yet unseen adversaries. There must be more than the strange king puppet alone. There is far too much in action and vastly more power employed than any single creature could ever possibly control. Luna approaches from afar.

"Princess Luna, we weren't expecting you to be joining us for the attack. Can't say I'm not glad you're here. Look at the size of that thing. Do we stand a chance?" One of the squad captains welcomed her with a bow.

"There is no need for formalities right now, loyal subject. In this we are all equals. Pray tell, what is thy plan of action?" She inquired of him. He took her to a hastily scrawled planning map being studied by numerous squads.

"Are you certain about this, is there no other way?" Her night guard captain questioned. This looked suicidal.

"There isn't. As expected, it is not a normal puppet. A few test spells cast at it confirm this." Was the response.

"It proves more resistant than the others. We will just have to hit it harder. Captain, we shall all be risking our lives. I assume you are up to the task." Luna made it sound simple. The night guards captain merely saluted confidently.

"Very well. All of you, I am honored to head into battle alongside such brave souls. I see Shining Armor has apportioned his forces expertly. Remember what you are fighting for, and most of all who. As well, the legacy of your ancestors who have stood before you. The world is entrusted to us and we will defend it to our last breaths if need be. If pain is visited upon you then turn it back upon the enemy with all your might. I bid you not hold anything back." Luna exuded power and confidence.

Her presence lent much needed steeling to willpower worn thin from this brutality and endless din of echoing combat. The amount of puppets seeming nearly unlimited. Did they truly never end?

"Estimations given by Twilight suggest we must hold out a whole two more days. That is, if we can destroy that thing out there without losing too many. This seems impossible. Even if we were at full strength I'm not sure we can last that long. We just don't have that many guards." Shining Armor came up behind Luna and said this calmly.

"Ah, there you are. They will have to suffice, but there is something wrong. I sense something else is here." She said darkly.

"Something else? We could really do with no more surprises right now." Shining looked tired, but not exhausted. He must have gotten at least some rest.

"Odd reports have been filtering in off and on from a lot of squads about whispering voices trying to convince them to either turn on each other, that they are bad ponies, or far worse." One of Lunas tactical advisers explained. Shining Armor looked very concerned by this new.

"We have mixed forces of all sorts here. Having them turn on themselves would doom us." The worry in his voice was evident.

"Fear not. We must not give into that for any reason. I am certain each and everyone here knows we are just barely standing up to this withering siege. Keep your wits and bravery about you for we are supported by good friends all round. Make it be enough." Luna was very good at being motivational and uplifting when she wanted to be. Her standing there in that restored regalia glinting and gleaming even in the dull light was most impressive. Somewhere out amongst the battle a massive flash of light split the darkness for a half-moment. Almost lost in the chaotic scene unfolding everywhere. Luna stumbled slightly. Something that he barely registered.

"Are you going to be okay, Luna?" Shining Armor only knew something just happened. Luna turned her head to look off into the distance a moment before replying.

"We are quite well. Legs are not required for flying. You best take up your position. That behemoth will soon be upon us." She bid him go. He headed off with several squads trailing.

"Sister.." She whispered to herself. Several of the night guard were lining up behind her, expectantly awaiting the order.

"Your majesty, all night guard not otherwise engaged have arrived. They make for two full squads." A lieutenant informed her.

Very good. Surprisingly more than expected still survived. Something to be quite proud of. She turned to address them.

"You have done well. Now, a true challenge lay right in front of us. As you all can see our enemies believe merely being much larger than us will prove our undoing. That great bulk of a former dragon is no consequence for us. Let us prove the direct opposite of what they believe. Your princess stands with you, and calls on you to stand with her." She finished her little speech as an attack signal flare was launched. The fight with the dragon was about to begin. All night guard present raised their wings as she raised a hoof and motioned forward. A truly impressive sight as they took off in waves.

All heading straight for that massive skeleton in concert with supporting ground forces. This would surely be a turning point in the battle. No less than two major engagements were happening at once. The thought bothered Luna that perhaps there was actually a third occurring, somewhere. She could not afford to be distracted by such thoughts at the moment and set it aside as she flew into the air.

---

Flicker and whicker, hither and yon, all to be left wondering what is going on