• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 856 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 856

Paint By Numbers

'

The simple announcement went out across blaring enhanced loudspeakers as Dash looked up upon hearing the alarm being given.

"Prepare for battle." It was succinct enough. All pegasi were geared up in a type of light barding suitable for maneuverability. Close-quarters ground battle training was highly unique among pegasus ponies. Rarely and almost never necessary. A type of movement and fighting system intended for quick striking individual enemies and rapid retreats designed to tire opponents quickly. For the unique enemies they were facing, however, some modification was required.

These abominations had no apparent stamina to wear down, necessitating the changes. Normally a pegasus would strike through a group of opposing troops utilizing their fast movement to traverse the battlefield in quick succession and leave mopping up to others. Not during this fight. All members of the Wonderbolt division were considered elite among elite flyers, true masters of wind and sky. Very soon it would be time to see if they could match that on the ground and uphold their warrior tribe heritage. Rainbow Dash, a pegasus of no small ego trained for years to wear this badge of honor. She had no intention of failing to live up to their reputation even in light of the horrors facing them. She adjusted her goggles.

These were not the usual eye coverings, but battle goggles of extreme durability that enhanced vision slightly, especially in dim light. While not unbreakable they were very tough. It would take some time for enemy forces to enter the town proper in numbers. In the meantime, it was possible to pick off any of them that wound up ahead of the rest. This would not significantly thin their numbers, but any removed from the fray was one less to worry about. Most of them including the unicorns only possessed an average amount of strength, making the fight surprisingly even for both sides. Their three alicorn protectors were facing off with something much worse. A construct envisioning death itself.

If they should fall there would be little hope of victory. Escape all the way to the Crystal Empire was an option, but a very poor one. All guards present had looked upwards in increasing dismay as the impressive barrier was destroyed with apparent ease. So very quickly. The savagery that must be behind such a display was disheartening.

"Ready for a real challenge?" A voice behind Rainbow made her jolt slightly. She'd been very caught up in thought.

"Captain, yes ma'am." She saluted and looked out at the approaching horde of still workable constructs, remembering what she'd seen of the fighting from above. No matter how skilled, this was going to hurt.

"There sure are a lot of them." She said as Spitfire stepped up beside her.

"Yep." The captain looked around at the assembled group, turning to address them. These were basically all their fully trained members and skilled reservists that signed on active call lists. Few had seen real combat before all this started. That could prove a serious handicap in the thick of it. Dash had seen a little bit over time automatically making her the first choice for a frontline soldier out of many. She would be heading the first squad behind Spitfire herself. A slightly paranoid feeling fell over her that this was going to get very rough.

"Alright, listen up! I expect to see every last one of you back here with your wings intact when this is over or I will personally haunt YOU as a ghost, got it? Are we gonna do this!?" Spitfire could be quite loud when she wanted to. She sounded decidedly determined at this moment. A cheer went up in response.

"altius volans!" A very old battle cry for those that roamed the clouds above.

"You know what to do. Get to it." She raised a hoof and squads took up initial positions. They were to provide backup and support only due to their high maneuverability, only to engage directly if necessary.

"What is this feeling? I can't shake it. Something about this makes me very nervous. Calm down. We are all the best of the best, that's why I'm here. Get it together. We have to protect Ponyville, our home." Rainbow Dash scolded herself for feeling that way. Being surrounded by other elites of various sorts did make her feel somewhat better. Everypony else was ready and so was she, or so she thought. This would be the ultimate test of their abilities. Some of the others had opted to use unique weapons rarely seen. A few were adorned with very light metal bars that extended with their wings into razor sharp blades. Dash decided to rely on her best attribute, speed and rapid movement. That kind of weapon would slow her down too much.

Somewhere out there waiting for her.

"Huh? What was that?" Dash looked around confused.

"I must be imagining things." Her heart was starting to race just a little bit in anticipation.

Coming for you. Sadness.

"Not again. This is not the time for wild fantasies." She shook her head hard and adjusted her barding just right. Those things were getting closer to the town in that weird shambling march of theirs. So many of them remained. More than she expected.

"Guess they had some reserves too. I shouldn't be surprised. They're actually really good at this." She took a deep breath to calm down.

Suffering. Sorrow.

"What the? Ugh. Cut that out. There is nothing there. Nothing. Just in your head." Dash turned to her assigned squad.

"Here they come. Remember your training and your orders. There are no heroes here. Well, except maybe me!" The joke got them pumped for the upcoming action right as Spitfire's squad moved out.

"Alright, don't get yourselves killed by these walking piles of kindling. We are in it to win it! Move out!" Her squad quickly positioned themselves as per their action plan.

Hurt.

"Ugh. Ignore it, Dash. Just stressed." She said to herself and took off.

---

Sadness flies away on the wings of time.