• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 856 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 856

Battle Cry

'

The retreat was signaled and units withdrew within the relative safety of the town barrier. Vestiges of hope fleeting and for some, lost completely. Remaining night guards gathered around Luna and prepared. Wounded were taken to safety.

"Night guard, hear me. You have fought to the utmost limits of your capability and none could be prouder than I. You honor your forebears legacy. A harsh battle yet remains ahead, but know this and understand the meaning. Soldiers of night and shadow, there are none finer than thou. The light of both day and night flickers ahead of us as a candle in need of care and you shall answer the call, for you are now legend." Luna held a hoof aloft to a rallying shout of the guard.

"Hidden in darkness, you are my chosen. My night guard!" She stomped and they all followed suit.

"Grab what rest you can, the greater fight lies ahead." Luna bid them and turned to find Celestia walking up behind her and smirking.

"Just what is so amusing, sister of mine?" Luna was puzzled. Celestia laughed.

"That was a rousing and invigorating speech. Been practicing?" Celestia smiled. Luna returned it.

"We have lost forces, and friends. Hope is needed until the end, right?" Her words rang true.

"And what of your troops?" She enquired.

"As well can be. Several units took heavy losses and needed reorganizing. Our foes are as implacable as expected." Celestia sighed forlornly.

"I must ask, why does he only send these puppet things at us? By all accounts, he was no coward and no stranger to battle and has many more options." Luna was extremely concerned about this.

"I could not say. He was studied, experienced and highly intelligent. There is some plan behind it all." Celestia knew no more herself was all that she could convey.

"That it should come to this. I had thought this land a safe and happy place. I see now that anything can change. Can we defeat him?" Luna asked with all gravity. Celestia nodded slowly.

"We can. It will not be easy. As you have witnessed and fought, he was never a slouch. He just..chose the wrong path." The slightest hint of being upset was worn on her muzzle. Luna reached in and hugged her. It was most appreciated. At that moment a fourth immense energy blast spread across the flickering barrier surface before dissipating.

"Sister, if he is no real alicorn how does he and his command such tremendous power?" Luna was perplexed.

"That I know not. Dark magic is something you know better than I. If you have no idea then he has truly stepped up his game. There is just something wrong here beyond that we can see and face. I know you feel that as well. Neither of us have wielded this much magic in direct combat in ages. I almost feel winded." Celestia said to her as she looked around the far different town in appearance. Twilight approached them.

"Wow, that was quite a speech you gave. I didn't know you were such an eloquent public speaker. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Luna." Twilight was rather impressed by the night princess on multiple occasions before.

"Thank you. Pleasantries are most appreciated at a time like this." Luna indicated she would be off and walked away.

"Celestia, what are we facing? I already knew they had power but this scale is so rapid and immense. To crack away at the shielding that way would be crazy for all four of us combined.." Twilight had rarely seen such displays of outright might and shockwaves of power as those now being thrown against the townwide shield. One of her own design incorporating many special enhancements, and yet it was still failing. All too soon it would collapse under the onslaught. Some hours at best if that kept up. It did not appear to be stopping nor lowering in power.

"Something dark and terrible walks alongside this one. What he has done or committed himself to I do not know, but it is of legendary proportions. This is not a show of force or intimidation, this is an intent mind set on success in whatever foul deed is the true aim. What is certain, they have the power and that is an incredible act alone. Do not underestimate the depth of where such darkness can lead." Celestia was generally insightful, intelligent, powerful and confident. She did not sound like that right now. Tired even. It was not something one was accustomed to seeing cross her features. Speaking this way clearly asserted this was a truly dire circumstance they were close to facing.

"Are you well-rested? They will break through that clever defense much too soon." Celestia said dully.

"I am. Remaining troops should be up to par by then as well. I must admit I feel frightened by this. In a way I have never felt before. I feel sickly to the pit of my stomach. Oh, Starlight has done a great job preparing these." Twilight told Celestia as they walked about the town.

"I do not wish to fight. I had thought my share of it over and done. Can we never truly rest?" Celestia sounded so off.

"Celestia, this is none of your fault. He is the one who has done this. Perhaps we should look at it this way, whatever happens you will get your rest." Twilight said, hoping it would not hurt too much.

To her surprise her mentor burst out laughing as she went wide-eyed.

"You are right. We must not fear anything. Times come and go. Maybe ours has, and maybe it hasn't. All that can be done is our best. No one can ask more than that from any of us. You were a fine student and star pupil. You have done Equestria proud in your turn. We shall face whatever peril lies ahead together." As Celestia spoke her confidence in Twilight instilled in her an earnest desire to continue making her proud in deed and action.

---

The world turns, regardless.