• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 856 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 856

Ringing Bell

.

Some sinister mood has befallen Canterlot castle. As they approach the grand dining hall these two steadfast friends hear the crackling and see the flickering firelight cast forth, entreating them in some welcome way, but it is not welcoming. Even this gives no comfort, as if it throws no heat. Can a fires strength be sapped as ones spirit? The very warmth dulled as if the glowing fire somehow a shattered reflection of itself. What malignancy, what caricature of sight unseen now stalks these vaunted halls in lieu of that which is considered reason? The servants have prepared a fine meal for their guests, as they always do, for them nothing is amiss. A veritable banquet upon the lengthy table, but what of their hosts? Yes, they are there.

Much to their disheartenment there are four places set upon the table. Some abyssal thing sits in Luna's chair as well, and just as concerning to behold. Once more those thick ethereal cables dangle from the ceiling, controlling their actions. Their movements jerky, but precise enough to make those seeing the truth behind them shiver. The meaning behind these constructions clouded. The crafting of their lines unparalleled, were the situation normal they would be deserving of high praise for such unerring accuracy. Instead they present a venomous fallacy of life. Living things they can but pretend to be, yet everypony treats them as if their honored counterparts. Their eyes somehow clouded to the truth.

A melancholy descends on these two would-be heroes of the day. So far they have failed to save their beloved princesses. Many hours remain at the very least before any semblance of useful help may arrive. All the while that nagging feeling it may already be too late.

"Oh no.." Before they entered the room proper Twilight surreptitiously whispered to Dash who looked quite pale for someone who is so colorful.

"Remember, act natural. I don't think they know we can see through it." Twilight stepped in and Dash followed.

The dread that accompanies potential danger follows along into the grand dining hall. Such a well appointed and ancient room as this has its own history as if containing the memories of all those behooved that trod within it before. Such loving memories of the past would surely find themselves aghast at the nature of these aberrant pretenders to the throne. Every nook and cranny offers forth the same withering feeling of condemnation and spite that almost drips from the words and actions of these two disturbances. Every sense tinged with the feeling they should withdraw, but they cannot. Unable to go on the offensive without giving themselves away leaves little recourse, but sit down to dinner.

Luna, that which has taken her place at least, feigns interest in a salad upon the table. The twisted creation that plays at being Celestia looks up to welcome their dinner guests. Once more that higher pitch voice that heralds some impending doom speaks colloquially, as though all were well. Some castle servants bustle to and fro, oblivious to this danger in their midst. They do give an occasional furtive look, perhaps sensing something to be misplaced but brush it off as one of those passing feelings of normality. Hope is at this moment, only a fleeting memory. Telling are the painted eyes.

"Good evening, Twilight." The puppet is superb, crafted almost too well. The hanging cloth mane gives away a little.

The sound of that voice imparts something slithering across ones grave. Acting normal is made all the more difficult.

"Dinner looks lovely." Twilight and company now find themselves locked in that deadliest of games where the simplest slip of the tongue might reveal the truth on either side. The art of such deflection is subtle and rarely practiced in Equestria. Both must learn the rules quickly or be given away. That which is playing Celestia acts impeccably. Were this not so deadly it would warrant accolades of acting perfection. Twilight nor Rainbow lack for strength of spirit, but some hitherto untold menace may hold their friends captive, somewhere in the dark below the castle.

Luna seems to take a more active interest in the conversation. It is surprisingly mundane. Her voice is much the same, almost even higher in pitch. Who or what could be behind the curtain, giving rise to this danse macabre?

"This is a most fine concoction of the castle chefs, they shall be commended for such fine cookery." Luna said. The most unexpected thing of all to see in action was the puppet then plunging it's muzzle into the salad bowl before it to make sounds as though it were truly eating. Both Dash and Twilight could barely contain giggling and snrking at this most unexpected move. Something they struggled with all their might to contain. Laughing at this simple thing could mean their own undoing.

By some miracle both managed not to let something so simple as laughter give them away. To all others it would merely appear Luna was eating dinner. Though neither felt any real appetite for this particular meal, they ate. When the puppet removed it's face from the bowl it was smeared with salad dressing and whatever else was within. They were prepared this time when Celestia did the same thing. Whatever was putting on this show left little to chance. Going so far as to ensure they were seen doing something so ordinary as eating dinner showed an astonishing level of attention to detail which rivaled or surpassed all of them. The conversation drifted from one subject to another as conversations do. Nothing stood out.

After finishing dinner they bid their good evenings and stepped out, once far out of earshot both breathed heavy sighs of relief. They'd really learned nothing of import. All the two puppets really spoke of were court matters. Certainly nothing was gleaned towards the location they sought.

"Well I'm glad that's over. Felt like we were in there forever!" Rainbow Dash was looking about, for once looking a little unhinged by the whole experience.

"Calm down, we're fine but now what?" Twilight ruffled her wings a little, bristling at this impasse.

"That felt so bad just being near them and hearing them speak, and what they did with the food.. we almost gave ourselves away!" Dash was not easily moved to such hysterics.

"Look, it will still be hours at least before any of the others get here and..we have to split up now. Right now. I must go down there. This dinner appointment has delayed us too long already. We now know both of them are in serious trouble." She trembled a little. Dash rarely ever saw her like that.

"Twilight.. alright. I can come and go to the castle without suspicion now. I will meet our friends and tell them everything. We will figure something out and come after you, I promise." Unusually, Dash initiated a warm hug then trotted off.

---

Hot coals or melting glass?..