• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 855 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 855

Whispers

'

"Everyone knows what you did." A slight feeling of a whisper went through her ears. Spitfire looked around at her squad.

"What was that?" She asked as one finished taking out yet another puppet.

"What was what?" Another responded.

"Nothing. I suppose we are all strung out and running on empty. These things never end." She said loudly enough to be heard over the din of ongoing combat. This area was one of the roughest, but that was exactly where they needed to be right now.

"All going to abandon you." She looked around nervously and held a hoof to her head. What was that?

"You alright, boss?" A junior grade lieutenant passing asked her. She shook her head a little.

"I'm fine. No worries. Have somepony go give the commander a sitrep, and get someone to take my place for a bit! I've been fighting for eighteen hours straight." She ordered. He gave her a look that did not seem to indicate good news.

"I don't know if there IS anyone that can take over, captain. I'll try." He said forlernly. This was not good.

"You see? No one cares about you." Huh? What was going on? She groaned.

"Just, get to it. Find someone, anyone. As long as they can give orders without getting anypony killed I don't care who it is." She told him.

"Yes, ma'am." He saluted. She groaned again, her head hurting a bit from such a long period of activity and battle. How long were they expected to keep going? These mockeries on the battlefield never tired. Did those controlling them never need to rest either?

"They've already given up on you." She whirled about, looking around in frustration.

"If there's someone there, come out and face me!" She watched the area intently, nothing. She held a hoof over her face.

"Ohh. My everything hurts. Especially my head. This is nonsense. Don't lose it now, Spitfire." She chided herself. It must just be the constant ring of battle and pain getting to her. Otherwise, her own personal squad was doing well. Barely a casualty in days, and they were only injured just enough to take them off the field. They'd be back. As expected of their division.

"Well, we are the best after all." She muttered. A voice startled her from the side.

"We sure are." She jumped, then looked to find Fleetfoot standing right beside her.

"Darn it all, Fleetfoot. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to sneak up on ponies? Ya almost got a buck to the muzzle!" She reprimanded.

"Hey, I know it's in my name but I wasn't that quiet. You really need a break." Fleetfoot stated flatly.

"Yeah yeah, whatever. How is the left flank holding up anyway?" Spitfire asked, curious about that section of the line.

"Not well. Did you hear about what happened with command?" Was asked in return. She knew it was bad.

"I did. At least they survived the assault. I don't know who would replace our field commander, and I really like this one. He is really good." Spitfire was very impressed with how well he'd handled things so far.

"He doesn't care about you. No one does." Spitfire thought she heard something again.

"This is gonna sound really strange, Fleetfoot. Did you..hear anything lately? Like someone whispering or something?" She had to ask. Fleetfoot looked a bit taken aback.

"You sure you're feeling okay, captain?" Fleetfoot's battle gear was seriously damaged. So she hadn't.

"How many times am I gonna be asked that today? I'm fine. Shouldn't you be going and rekitting or something?" Spitfire was getting a bit unnerved and she did not like that at all.

"Yeah, I'm off. Took a pretty hard knock back there, and I think..one of my leg joints might be injured. I can't tell." She did look pretty beat up. That could be bad for them.

"Get over to the docs and have that checked out, but get back here double-quick! I dont care if you have to take a cartload of painkillers! I can't be without some of my best flyers." She ordered. Spitfire really was confident, but worried.

"Again." Fleetfoot said.

"What?" Spitfire thought she heard her say something.

"Nothing. I just haven't been this beat up since the academy trials! I'm off." Fleetfoot could still fly right at least.

"Ohh. My head." Spitfire held both forehooves up to her temples.

"Captain." Somepony called.

"Oh, what now? And where is that replacement!?" She'd never been this jittery before in her life, and huffed heavily.

"What is it? No one better have got killed on my watch!" She called back to the crystal paladin approaching her.

"No, we're okay..for the moment. Shining Armor thought it would be best to update you on the situation." Oh, goody.

"Alright, out with it already." Spitfire felt herself getting rather perturbed as she tried to calm herself down.

"All crystal paladins were deployed along the front line. Some ground squads were nearly and in one case completely wiped out by the time we arrived I'm afraid. I'm sorry." He explained. She couldn't help but think this was one hefty pony before her. He was one of the few crystal paladins wearing a somewhat lighter set of armor. Probably didn't have time to get fitted properly.

"They did what they had to do, soldier. Like we all have to." She said as he nodded in agreement.

"Our situation is grim, and we are fighting an enemy that has no feelings. They can't be injured, only slowed and stopped. Unless the princesses come up with something, this is a losing battle. I can see it." Spitfire stated factually. He looked upset.

"Honestly, I agree but could you be a little more upbeat? We need optimism here." He said authoritatively. She was impressed.

"Soldier, I apologize. I've been run ragged for almost a full day now. You're right. We can't give up. Get back to it." They saluted each other and he took off at as fast a pace as his armor would allow.

"They don't care." Gah! She bopped herself in the head. Stop it. Stop it! The lieutenant was finally coming back with another in tow.

"Found somebody fresh!" He called. She instantly felt better. Huh?

"Oh, thank goodness." She gave the new captain a quick rundown on how things were going and the situation, leaving the field feeling better already.

---

What shadows tell be truth or lie,

What lay behind to make do or die?