• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 856 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 856

Knight Fallen

'

"Prince Armor, All available unicorns with healing spells of any level have arrived making for eight highly skilled and ten support." The lieutenant Informed Shining who scowled in return and swished his tail a bit indignantly while examining the ponies in a row. They all looked nervous. Not too far away a large number of pegasi were strafing and avoiding the gigantic dracolich now plowing ahead on the field of battle while a myriad of spells were flying every which way in an effort to slow and damage the huge bulk of the things cables. There were so many that cutting three was the equal of one on the rest.

"Please lieutenant, save the formalities until later. Now for it." He took a deep breath.

"We are about to ask a lot of you all. Hear me. I have no doubts you can pull this off, so listen well. Luna here is going to tell you exactly what to do." He moved aside. She'd broken off from the desperately fighting night guard to come explain the plan as they continued to mostly assault the cables along the neck and head area of the lich.

"That thing you see ahead of us is no monster. Understand this, it is a prisoner we must succeed in freeing. A tormented soul forced to do the bidding of others given no free will or agency. Forced to kill and maim. Once my night guards have rent those miserable ethereal cables from it, heal the head with all you've got. Understand?" She looked over the ponies present.

At least twenty of the fighters in the fray had been killed or injured since the first swipe making for a full forty-three casualties so far in a mere half hour since. It took time to round up what healers were present. Five mares, three stallions in the front. The ten supporting unicorns consisted of weaker healers. Four mares and six stallions all now fitted with magic-enhancing armor given over from the crystal paladins who opted to very bravely ditch their protection in favor of helping this plan succeed. At last the night guard succeeded in severing the second of three very thick cables to the head of the poor thing. There was little time for sympathy right now. It must be stopped here or the battle would grind on until it killed them all.

"Once we are close enough I will cast a city level shield spell over us, I estimate it could take maybe eight direct hits given what we are facing. I will be powerless for some time afterwards so Luna will take full command here for the duration. Trust me as I trust all of you to succeed. Prepare to move out, looks like they've almost got it at last." Shining armor spoke, intending to instill confidence in their chances of success. They all saluted in readiness. In truth this was a gamble hinging on Luna being entirely correct about this course of action. Something she was not absolutely certain of herself. This was going to be incredibly dangerous to attempt.

"At a trot, forward!" He commanded and lead the way ahead. They were required to get close as they could so they would not be wasting effort needlessly. All followed in formation. An otherwise impressive display if this wasn't such a desperate action. As more pegasus and batponies were taken down they finally fully cut the cable and the things head hung loose from the rest, This in no way immobilized the creature. It was dangerous as ever. Shining Armor began casting his spell as the rest began to cast their healing spells, their supports adding what power they could to the better healers. The head was enveloped in an intense healing aura eliciting an unexpected great screeching horrifying scream of pain from within.

Whether ordered to, or by an action of its own just as he was about to finish emplacing the shield the immense dragon puppet surprisingly quickly swung a wicked steel spiked paw directly towards him striking a glancing blow across his barding sending him flying out from under the shield just before it was fully completed. The shield was complete as the aura from his horn faded, but he lay still and silent. Luna yelled in horror.

"No!" She sprang into action like a lightning bolt despite her injured leg to hoist him onto her back and fly him to a safer location.

"Medic!" Luna shouted as a weary looking earth pony galloped over with a medical pack.

"Help him! I cannot stay." She took off once more to pass into the shield he barely managed to erect.

The great bulk of the lich shuddered and crackled violently as the healers continued their bid to remove it from the fight. Immediately Luna added her own power to the healing being directed at the grand beast struggling in agony. It spoke in a strange raspy voice that floated across the field.

"Stop. It hurts. I cannot bear it!" It growled and strained wildly in such pain, writhing every which way against the strings holding it.

Luna teared up a little.

"Forgive us. It shall not hurt much longer, I promise thee. More. More!" Her horn practically lit afire with the amount of power she was pouring into the numerous healing spells surrounding the screaming creatures head. All manner of arcane symbols, runes and otherwise jittering in and out of reality as the magics which gave to this thing a false life were stripped from it at last. Likely by some action not its own it reared back and actually slammed it's entire body into the shield, causing it to almost collapse. It barely held up. All other ponies in the area scattered before it fell forward.

"We must finish this now or we are lost. I am sorry to ask this of you all, give it everything you have now!" She commanded, and they obeyed to the point several of the healers fell unconscious from the supreme effort. At last, by some miracle the massive creature lay still atop the crumbling shield. Just in time.

"Thank you." A wispy but powerful and regal draconic voice echoed out from within as the now completely uncontrolled power within set it alight, incinerating to ashes within seconds while sending out a shockwave of such force it blew over several ponies and puppets alike at a great distance. Giving some a chance to finish off more of the things before they could recover balance.

"To the prince, with all haste!" Luna ordered the conscious healers and had some night guards lift the rest to safety as she assumed direct command in the area.

---

On and together we shall fight, I am your shield, your knight all dressed in gilded white.