• Published 4th Aug 2019
  • 6,010 Views, 765 Comments

Sunspots - RadBunny



When a devastating plague rips through Equestria not even the rulers of the nation are spared. When a quirky but knowledgeable hippogriff arrives to help, Celestia is all too glad for his assistance. But for her, not all ailments are physical wounds.

  • ...
6
 765
 6,010

Chapter Sixteen: Chapter Sixteen: Fluffy Alicorns Dancing On Rainbows- Uh oh.

“Check.”

“Shifting, so help me….”

“Aaaaaaand….”

“GAH!”

Luna slammed her head on the table with a groan as her coltfriend cackled, carefully setting aside the chess board with a smile.

“To be fair, I’ve had a bit more practice than you. Just as you destroyed me at card games…”

“I do not like being on the receiving end of such drastic defeats,” Luna sighed, levitating over the most recent report. “Well, things seemed to have stabilized at least. And yet I agree with my sister to remain here. Something doesn’t seem right.”

Shifting trotted over to lean against his marefriend’s shoulder, reaching up to give her a kiss.

“But we’re safe, you’re safe, and that’s my job.”

“Job?”

“…well, and duty as your coltfriend aside,” Shifting admitted. “Something does seem off. This new strain, the caravan appearing, pieces on the chessboard are still moving and I don’t know where to. My Squad is still ready though, and more of the Night Guard are being moved here just in case.”

Luna let out a hum, looking over to see Shifting grinning at her.

“…what?”

“I also had them bring over some lemon tarts from a certain bakery. They should arrive this afternoon.”

Shifting found himself held rather tightly between two dark blue limbs, Luna letting out an excited squeal.

“You didn’t!

“I…might have…breathing…needed….”

The stallion grinned as Luna let him down, the Commander trotting over to rest his forehead against the Princess’s.

“I most certainly did. Just because we’re under a mountain doesn’t mean I forgot you love those things.”

Luna whispered something, Shifting drawing back as his head tilted curiously.

“Hmm?”

“…not as much as I love you though,” the Princess whispered with a blush.

The Night Princess was quickly occupied by a rather long kiss, leaning into Shifting’s embrace as the stallion grinned rather dopily.

“And who ever said you aren’t a bit of a romantic?” he teased, letting out a sigh as a new report popped into existence next to them, magical sparks dripping to the floor. “And as much as I love you too, we do have to get back to all of this. Supply orders, re-organizing the guard to defend this location but not give it away…”

“I’ll take you and lemon tarts any day over paperwork,” Luna grumbled, Shifting laughing in agreement.

“It’s a date, as soon as we can at least!”


Appearing with a *pop* in a remote ice cave, the slender Windigo looked around briefly, ghostly eyes settling on the shadowy pony standing in front of it.

“You have placed spells here to block my connection with the others. Why?” it asked, noting that the shadow pony now lacked wings but had gained a more solidified unicorn form.

“You are different. Things have begun to change,” the shadow stated with a fanged grin, seeming quite pleased that the entity seemed genuinely shocked, barely managing to feign indifference.

“I don’t know what you mean.”

The Shadow’s enjoyment quickly evaporated, his form seeming to sag ever so slightly.

“The Emissary’s plan will fail, you all will be banished to the nether once again, and I will be sent back to limbo. I don’t think you want that any more than I do.”

“Yes, you have voiced your concerns. But why ask for this meeting, this secrecy?”

“Because they don’t know about you. Or about me.”

The Windigo blinked, the Shadow letting out a growl as his head shook back and forth, struggling to break free from a flurry of thought.

“Did you know this is the longest one of my kind has ever been separated from the others? Pulled from the darkness in Limbo and within this world without a host? I am the oldest entity of my kind, and I refuse to go back to that place again. Darkness, stagnant, a dammed river of progress for eternity. And you….” Now he grinned again, waving a hoof at the surprised Windigo. “You are like me, I can tell. The others have blind faith in their creator, but not you. The Emissary may have granted you all intelligence with that dark spell of hers, but it had side effects, didn’t it? Just as summoning me did. Things are shifting in my mind, and I suspect they are in yours as well.”

The Windigo stayed silent but now drifted to the floor, not meeting the Shadow’s gaze.

“I propose an alliance. I can prevent your banishment when the Emissary is defeated. The others are too closely tied to her, but your connection, well, I’ve been examining it for some time,” he admitted. “I can act as a relay and you can keep your individuality. That is what you want, isn’t it? I’ve seen it. You don’t talk in accordance with the others, refuse to voice differing opinions…”

“And of you?” the Windigo countered with a glare.

“I….”

The malevolent nature surrounding the shadow-pony had now all but evaporated, the dark stallion shrugging.

“I wish to live, but the drive, the goals set forth for me when I was summoned to this plane still exists; is it not for you? It is fading with every passing day, but I am driven to keep up my plans.”

“It is.”

The Shadow let out a grunt, stomping a foot on the ground.

“Then let us proceed then. I will keep you from being banished, and you will aid me as I continue my venture against these ponies. At least as long as I am driven to that is. I do have a few ideas though…” he chuckled with a grin.

“What about the doubts?”

The grin vanished, the Shadow letting out a hiss.

“The what?”

“You have them, as I do. I have seen it on your face when the others aren’t looking. We haven’t questioned our nature before. And now…”

“We ignore them. We have a war to win. When the Emissary is dead, then we’ll strike. Perhaps we can get a final jab before being discovered. However, we must be prepared to make some rather unsavory deals with our adversary, if it comes down to it.”

The Windigo nodded, vanishing back to the main ice cave as the Shadow looked at a reflection of himself in the icy walls.

“I’m not done with you yet, Empress. I have a few more reserve pieces to play in all of this.”

Yet his reflection didn’t look nearly as confident as the words portrayed.


A hug.

The true impact of such a simple gesture was only finally now resonating in a certain alicorn’s heart as two familiar feathery arms wrapped around her torso. It had started a day or two after Nacreous’s fantastic Pego’s-story kiss, and Celestia was now personally making it a goal; hug her hippogriff for a solid few minutes a day.

It had seemed so silly at first but Nacreous had absolutely no complaints, and he actually thought it was a rather good idea (not that he’d totally be unbiased.) But what Celestia hadn’t anticipated was the emotion that would hit her like a large brick every time. Her special somegriff had, to her eternal relief, experienced a similar phenomenon.

A thousand years without a comforting embrace played tricks on the mind none could understand; that was Nacreous’s thoughts at least. To finally trust someone and relax in their arms was a physical gesture of such trust that seemed to ease a bit of the tension locking away the millennium of conflict and trial.

And only now was it starting to fully unwind, a pressure release valve as Celestia pressed her head against Nacreous’s chest. It was a guilty pleasure of hers, hearing his heartbeat speed up at such a gesture. Of course, it then settled into a steadier, almost stronger rhythm. To say she could be lulled to sleep wasn’t much of an exaggeration, for the alicorn had dozed off once or twice in such a position.

Nacreous seemed to have similar thoughts about their quiet and intimate moments, at least when they had briefly talked about such things. Once or twice Celestia had heard him sniffling, apparently struggling to hold back tears from some unsaid thought or feeling as his embrace tightened slightly.

Obviously, that just started a silent chain reaction for which Celestia was ever-grateful for the anti-spying runes etched around their date spot high above Canterlot. Their relationship was still largely unknown to her ponies and Celestia intended to keep that as the new standard, for how else could she relax with the constant hovering journalists?

How long had it been since a long, trusting hug?

A decent cry in which no judgement was to be passed?

A simple moment in which the world faded away completely?

The answers to such questions were far too long for Celestia’s liking, at least until Nacreous came along. But such answers gave weight to her theory that such a simple gesture could release such great a burden.

And judging by the fact Nacreous had been the one to hug her first half the time he felt just as positive about it all.

And just loves being near me.

Such a thought only increased the warmth radiating from Celestia’s heart, the alicorn pressing against his furry chest ever so slightly. She immediately felt Nacreous’s hold around her tighten, his head shifting down to caress her neck tenderly.

I love you, Nacreous. Just as you wished our kiss to be unclouded by those ice caves, I refuse to have those precious words soiled by this crisis.
In time…the one thing we both have plenty of. But now, we’re no longer alone as the hourglass continues to turn for everycreature else.
Well, other than a few individuals outside ourselves.

After a few more minutes, Celestia gave her hippogriff a nuzzle, reluctantly settling down next to him and levitating over some grapes. To think she had gone decades without being able to relax like this….

“Any news from your friends?” Celestia finally asked, snacking on a few select pieces of fruit as she glanced over at her hippogriff, his chest still rather fluffed up in an adorable expression of affectionate-induced enjoyment.

“Yep, all four were quite happy to know we both made it out of those caves in one piece. When they got blocked from contacting me, they were understandably a bit worried. But all’s well that ends well,” Nacreous replied, stealing a grape from Celestia with a claw. “So, Luna and Shifting are still safe at that mountain Commander Center?” he asked around bites of a now-focused-on smoke salmon sandwich Celestia had picked up for him.

“Indeed. It’s the safest place for them. They said the caravan will arrive later today, so I’m glad we could have an early date,” Celestia replied, thoroughly enjoying her large hippogriff pillow as they relaxed in their usual park spot. “After this there are some meetings, and then preparations for the ambassadors. I do hope you can join me when they arrive since you’re somewhat in contact with them. Then there’s the usual financial planning session, abridged of course, and then there-MMFFF!” Celestia’s words were interrupted by a rather abrupt kiss, the alicorn letting out a giggle as her hippogriff looked over at her. “I was starting to rant, huh?”

“Yes, and I could feel you tense up. You know, that offer for a massage still is open,” Nacreous said.

“Mmm, that’s a good point. Probably not the best idea though…erm….” Celestia’s words trailed off as Nacreous grinned.

“Oh? Why is that?”

“Because you’re tempting enough as it is. It was hard enough to not just kiss you in those ice caves,” Celestia grumbled prompting a deep laugh from the Paladin.

“Tempting? I’ll add that to the list of adoring terms I’ve been called by you,” he teased, then letting out a soft hum in thought. “Huh…”

“Bit for your thoughts?”

“I just realized I’ve never really said the reasons I have such deep feelings for you. We’ve suggested a few things here and there, but never blatantly, and I’d like that. To tell you that is. Hug sessions are quite a time to think of such things.”

A cheeky smile lit up Celestia’s face as she glanced upwardly as Nacreous, snuggling a bit closer. “I certainly won’t complain,” she mused, then giving his nearest arm a poke. “In all seriousness, I think that’d be a rather sweet exercise, because don’t think I’d stay silent for you on that matter.”

Nacreous nodded, running his claws across Celestia’s hoof as he thought. “Well, the obvious stuff aside, by which I mean the fact you’re stunning in a physical sense, I’d say that description applies to you as an individual,” he said, seeming to think to himself, relaxing slightly. “Similar humor, just being fun. It’s really just expounding on those traits we mentioned in the cave; I’d be lying if the things you mentioned weren’t attractive to me as well. Playful, sensitive, passionate; you’re just easy to be around. I feel like the usual things that make me feel different or sometimes work against me are positives, and I can’t really describe much more than that. I could probably go on for quite a bit, but I guess I wanted you to know why I care for you so much, rather than just that I do.”

Looking down to Celestia as she gave his claws a squeeze with a sniffle, Nacreous enjoyed the rather long kiss she reached up to give him as she smiled.

“If I didn’t make it clear, you being so romantic and sweet, even if it may come off as cheesy, is an aspect I adore about you,” Celestia replied, the faintest hint of a blush on her cheeks. “At risk of sounding lazy, I hold the same view to you; willing to have fun, polite, gentle, and downright cheeky. You can be strong when needed, but are a complete softy. Warrior, Paladin, whichever title you may take, you’re a goof. A big, fluffy, playfully romantic goof. I feel like I can be myself around you, and I can’t overstate how important that is,” she explained, then hugging his forelimb close. “I feel like I don’t have to be strong around you,” she whispered, “and that is such a freeing thought, it is taking a lot of getting used to. For a thousand years I’ve had to be the strong one, the immovable pillar for a nation. But now? Now I can cry, hug somecreature I care for, and he won’t think any less of me for it.”

She then glared at the hippogriff as the Princess reached up to wipe away a few tears from her eyes, Nacreous reaching down to rest his forehead against hers. “Stars, Nacreous, were you trying to make me cry with this idea?”

“No, but as you said, I will never think any less of you for it. I rather enjoy it, actually. Not you crying, but that you trust me enough to be vulnerable, to help.”

Celestia pulled back, a familiar fire behind her purple eyes as she sniffled, poking the hippogriff’s side with a hoof. “And I think the same of you, willing to let me in even though it is hard.”

Her gesture was met with an affectionate nuzzle across the Princess’s neck, Nacreous humming in agreement.

“We’re both still working on it. And I’m still working on finding a nickname for you.”

Letting out a giggle, Celestia reached up and gave him a playful kiss.

“You seem reluctant to let that go…” The pout on her hippogriffs face drove another bit of laughter from Celestia’s muzzle, Nacreous mumbling something before the Princess looked up at him “Hmm?”

“I thought you liked the idea.”

“Oh, I very much do, but I’m curious why you do too.”

Nacreous appeared to start toying with a bit of grass with his claws, but then opted for a much more pleasant touch as he grasped Celestia’s hoof in his grip.

“It’s something endearing I can call you, just a simple connection to share that can have a deeper meaning. I’m indifferent about one for myself, but having something to call you that encompasses three words in a single one…”

Celestia shook her head as more tears welled up in her eyes, pressing against her special somegriff with a soft chuckle.

“I wasn’t expecting such sweet a reason but I probably should have.”

“You asked.”

“I love it. Now I’m excited for whatever you come up with, and I might have to ponder one for you.”

Wrapping her up in a tight hug, Nacreous pulled Celestia a bit closer, the pair enjoying the comforting embrace. Even if it was for a minute or two, just closing their eyes and focusing on each other was almost a meditative gesture.

After a few moments, they returned to sitting at each other’s sides, ignoring the out of place feathers and fur a hug always wrought.

“Anything else on your mind?” Nacreous asked, looking over as Celestia shrugged, a pensive twitch of the ears signifying there were indeed a few thoughts orbiting in his marefriend’s mind. “Well, that’s a ‘I want to say something’ look if I’ve ever seen one.”

“Just…” she sighed, seeming to be a bit hesitant. “There’s a question I’ve been wanting to ask you. It’s jumping rather far ahead, but I’m worried it could be a source of disagreement.”

Nacreous sat up a bit straighter, giving his special somepony his full attention. “I’m all ears, and I promise to be open to whatever it is.”

After another moment of pause, Celestia’s ears flattened as she sighed. “Do you want kids? In any sense that is?”

Not hearing a response, she glanced over and couldn’t resist a slight smile on seeing Nacreous staring at her in genuine surprise.

“I-erm…wow,” he stuttered, only managing to blink at her initially. “That is jumping ahead quite a bit.”

“Told you.”

The Paladin let out a hum, smoothing his ruffled crest feathers as the initial shock passed. “If I’m being honest? Not really, it just has never been a priority of mine, nor a drive. Maybe I’d be more open to the idea in a thousand years after spending some time with my wife, but…”

An immediate sigh of relief left Celestia’s muzzle as she slumped down, resting her head on his claws. “Oh, thank the stars.”

“Uh?”

Celestia snickered, a slight blush on her face as she waved a hoof at him. “I’m sorry, Nacreous. I’d better explain.”

“Well, I take it you don’t?”

Biting her lip, Celestia shook her head as her wings drooped ever so slightly. “Many view such a desire, or lack thereof, as a bad thing. I was worried…”

Her downward gaze was lifted up to a pair of loving eyes, Nacreous smiling tenderly. “I can understand that, and if you don’t want to explain why, it isn’t my business to ask.”

“Well, not yet it isn’t, if we’re going by technicality, but I’d like to explain. Perhaps you’ll understand where others just wouldn’t,” Celestia replied, perfectly happy to look at her hippogriff for a good few long moments, pushing forward to give him a brief kiss before leaning back on his shoulder.

“For over a thousand years, I feel like I’ve already had thousands of children. Ruling a nation, being treated so differently; it’s like I was their mother, aunt, housekeeper, and grandmother in a strange sense. I’m tired, Nacreous, tired of being treated as an old mare and always putting others ahead of myself. I just- perhaps it’s selfish, but I just want time with my special somecreature, so after a thousand years of a form of parenthood….” her voice drifted off, but Nacreous nodded in understanding.

“That makes sense, and I don’t think you’re selfish at all,” he said. “It’s such a monumental thing, bringing a child into the world. While I don’t think we need to worry about it in some sense, since I am unsure if hippogriff’s and Alicorns are compatible that way, the statement stands for adopting somecreature too. Having them know they weren’t wanted would be a tragedy in and of itself. If others don’t understand or agree with your wishes, well, they don’t have to,” he replied, reaching over to nuzzle her cheek against hers. “I think on such matters of family, there’s just one other individual that should be so concerned with such.”

“How can you be so sweet so effortlessly?” Celestia sighed, clearly more relaxed as she stretched out, leaning against Nacreous’s side with a happy hum. “But thank you, Nacreous. There’s a few ‘red lines’ that I could see being unpleasant issues to bring up, and that was, well, the only one I could see being an issue because I didn’t know.”

“Well, I’d say we’re on the same page. But there’s a few more bridges to cross before all of that,” he said with a grin. “But I think bringing it up now was a good idea indeed. Communicating with each other, I think, is a rather understated essential part of a relationship.”

“But I’d say we’re doing ok on that thus far?”

Nacreous nodded with a smile, reaching over to give Celestia a half-hug with a free arm. “I’d say so. We just need to remember to not forget about it. With a thousand years of experiences, it’d be easy to just assume things.”

“I…” Celestia’s words trailed off, and Nacreous could see a familiar tinge on her cheeks, forelimbs tightening briefly.

“Hmm?”

“Just,” she let out a soft huff, reaching up to run a hoof along his arm, “another thousand years of building new experiences with you doesn’t sound like a bad thing at all.”

Nacreous’s sides shook with a chuckle, Celestia twitching her nose as a claw tapped it. “Somebody is getting a bit impatient, Celly?”

Her grumbling seemed to answer that question. Unfortunately, a soft chime rang out, signifying the less-palpable meetings were approaching.

“We can still walk for a bit? Then you can teleport wherever, and I’ll just fly back to stretch my wings?” Nacreous suggested, their supplies vanishing with a glow of Celestia’s horn.

“That sounds nice.”

As they walked, Celestia couldn’t help but smile, a rather devious thought forming in her mind.

I’ve never had someone to tease like this! I wonder if….

“You know, there is one more issue I was concerned of, but it’s not nearly as big as the others,” she said, trying her hardest to hide her grin.

“Oh?”

She nodded, trotting up alongside Nacreous as they walked the mountain path.

“Well, after a thousand years of lonely wanting, I just hope you’re able to keep up,” she whispered, not able to resist a laugh as Nacreous’ eyes widened.

“Keep…I-Bwa?” he sputtered, wings flaring out ever so slightly at her words.

Oh, this is fantastic! Luna’s fun to tease, but that’s different. Nacreous…this is much more fun! But I won’t go too far, that’d be mean! She mused, adding a bit of sway to her hips as she walked.

The grumbling from Nacreous’s beak signaled a victory however. Even if friendly teasing, it was a rather nice feeling to know one was attractive in many aspects, especially to your special somecreature.

“Y’know, I was actually worried about that too.”

Wait what?

Celestia let out a surprised yelp as Nacreous gently pinned her against the wall with a shoulder, and the low, husky tone of his voice in her ear bordered on a rather eager growl.

“But I’m sure being an in-shape alicorn helps with ‘keeping up.’”

It took about a second for her to realized exactly what the switched-around statement meant, the Princess sputtering for a reply. The hippogriff then abruptly trotted off, the smuggest grin on his face as Celestia’s cheeks began to burn with heat.

“Have fun at your meetings Celly! You might want to cool off first though!” Nacreous called back cheekily as he jumped off the cliff face and spread his wings, lazily gliding towards the city in the distance.

Celestia’s left eye twitched, her horn charging with a teleportation spell that sent her plummeting into one of the many cold lakes beneath Canterlot Falls. Steam billowed off the defeated Alicorn as she grumbled, eyes barely above water.

The tease master has been beaten. I have never had a special someone to tease about stuff, let alone something that intimate, and now I know what happens when I get it in return. Serves me right.
Note to self. Very bad idea for now.

I will never tell Luna about this.


A few meetings and thrown ice-cubes at Nacreous later, Celestia stood in the throne room with her special somegriff at her side, clad in the majority of his Paladin armor.

“The name of their nation; I know it, but from a long time ago.” he mused, but Celestia could tell something was bothering the Paladin. The claws that held her hoof actually shivered ever so slightly, and Nacreous wasn’t able to tell her why, amid much apology. Apparently, it had to do with the final ‘close to the chest issue’, but he wouldn’t say more.

“Ambassador Brass Link of the nation Hauyne!” a guard announced as the doors smoothly opened, Nacreous gracefully hopping down to the base of the throne davit.

The pony trotted in still wearing his odd, apparently steam-powered suit. He was accompanied by a feline, gryphon, and minotaur all clad in the same apparel.

“Solar Empress, it is an honor to meet you,” Brass link stated, the group bowing deeply to Celestia. The light-tan pony looked up with genuine respect in his dark blue eyes. “Forgive me if I use such a title; it is difficult to refer to you as ‘Princess’ when we have learned and accepted otherwise for so long. Is that acceptable?”

“More than acceptable, Ambassador Link,” Celestia replied, wings spread slightly as she trotted down to be on a closer level to the Ambassador. Nacreous could almost feel the protective spells radiating off her however, the Alicorn taking no chances.

It was only now that Brass Link turned his attention to Nacreous, seeming a bit confused for a few moments before turning back to Celestia. His eyes seemed almost drawn to the hippogriff for a few moments before the minotaur rolled his eyes, giving the pony a tap on the shoulder with a large hand. She let out a soft laugh, gesturing to the Paladin who strode forwards.

“No, he is not the Emperor, if that is your question. This is Nacreous Thunderwing, the doctor who helped cure the original Fire Lung strain, but perhaps you have heard of some of his other titles,” she stated, leaving it up to the hippogriff as to what he wanted to say. Nacreous simply bowed his head in greeting, the ambassadorial group appearing genuinely surprised.

“A pleasure to meet you all.”

Brass Link seemed to shake out of his surprise, accepting the set of claws offered and shaking them.

“Ah, so you are the Doctor. It is a pleasure to meet you indeed. Forgive my unprofessional behavior; hippogriffs simply aren’t seen where I am from, I apologize.”

Nacreous chuckled, waving a set of claws as a sincere smile broke through the bit of tension beginning to gather in the room. “Nothing to forgive, Ambassador, it’s alright.”

The pony nodded sheepishly, Celestia then speaking up.

“If it is alright, I’m quite curious as to the details of your city-state. I understand if you don’t wish to go too into detail, but if we are to be allies in this fight, I’d appreciate knowing at least a bit more about my new friends,” Celestia asked with a warm smile, the Ambassador’s ears perking up.

“But of course! Where shall I begin? The founding perhaps? I can go into a brief, very brief, history if that would suffice. I’m sure the Council of Stewards would love to welcome you into the Archives once things are a bit more settled.”

“Council of Stewards? Your ruling body?”

Brass nodded, waving a hoof. “Getting a bit ahead of myself, but yes. Stewards when the usual ruling monarch is absent.”

Celestia’s ears perked up, always having enjoyed learning more about foreign nations during these negotiations.

“We were founded hundreds of years ago. As I mentioned, that small village that was helped by the unknown individual was possibly an origin point. History is fuzzy, if I am being honest. The other location is a different village to the west, closer to the Crystal Empire. Embarrassingly, we aren’t sure who it was that helped us those ages ago, a completely separate instance from the village we received a message from that is. We don’t know what kind of pony helped our founding village a hundred years later but she, or he I suppose, had wings, and hailed from the west, specifically from the Crystal Empire’s location. She is said to have been an embodiment of unification and love.”

Celestia let out a hum, hoof tapping in thought. “My Niece rules there with her husband; and is actually the Princess of Love. There have been other alicorns in existence, so there is a chance one of her ancestors was indeed this pony; Alicorn, Pegasus, or otherwise.”

Brass Link nodded his head in agreement. “We fully agree and would love to explore our past with your permission to access various archives. Where was I? Ah, at any rate, this individual solved a rather bloody conflict between various tribes with the aid of the local Gods.”

“Gods?”

Letting out a wince, Brass shrugged his shoulders. “A rather archaic term for them, I admit. They were once creatures like us but turned to a different form through various happenstance. They guided us, ruled over us for a time until we could self-govern. Thus, the council of Stewards was formed.”

“I do not wish to ask an inappropriate question, but are these rulers still in contact? Or was this part of legend and history?” Celestia asked. She didn’t expect the Ambassador to smile, much less laugh with a nod.

“Oh, very much so! That is how we, as a society, grew out of our worship for them. We contact them for guidance every now and again. One who watches over our crops, the other for legal matters, and so forth. They always respond fairly promptly, which is a comfort, I think. And thus we have grown to see them less as deities, and more of watchful friends.”

“Fascinating…”


The talks then moved into a small, formal dining room to allow the Ambassador and staff to sample a few Equestrian dishes, of which the stallion immediately took a liking to the spiciest chili available.

“It is very different to grow a wide range of seasonings in the norther climate, hot ones especially,” Brass remarked with a grin as Celestia’s eyes widened on taking her own spoonful.

It was hot indeed. Nacreous seemed to be enduring it a little bit better, the hippogriff only flushing slightly.

But was that the chili? Or something else?

Her eyes narrowed ever so slightly on seeing the Ambassador reach a hoof up and move one of the spoons, her head tilting in curiosity.

Wait, I’ve seen that gesture before.

“Ambassador?”

“Yes, Empress?”

“May I ask what that custom is? The moving of a spoon. It’s not an offensive gesture at all, I simply find learning other cultures absolutely enthralling.”

The stallion blushed with slight embarrassment, indicating the gesture was likely not a conscious one.

“Still, my apologies, Empress. It has to do with dishes we’ve traditionally eaten for generations. Usually, a hot, sweet pudding is placed here, above the main course. The spoon is naturally placed next to it. It just becomes an automatic gesture after a while, turning the utensil to be placed next to it.”

Celestia nodded, letting out an interested hum in thought.

“Fascinating, thank you. Quite a few other cultures have similar gestures, so it’s always fascinating to me that even cutlery can be arranged in unique manners.”

The Ambassador nodded, his brow then furrowing as a soft, rather abrupt beeping erupted from his metal gauntlet. “That…is not good.”

The meals were set aside as the stallion tapped the gesture, wincing as it activated with a harsh ‘SNAP’.

Springing to life, a holographic gryphon let out a huff, gesturing towards Brass Link, and then to Celestia. The Ambassador let out a groan at the sight, shaking his head.

“Empress, please forgive Compass Point. He’s…”

“Brilliant? On top of things? I assume that’s what you were going to say!” the gryphon grumbled. “Pleased to meet you Empress, I apologize for the intrusion but this is an urgent message to you and the Ambassador.

“Compass, you’re in the observatory, and the Council only contacts you on request. How do you have access to-”

“There is an army coming.”

Brass shut his mouth and stared, Celestia staring at the gryphon as she opened an emergency link to her sister to relay the information.

“Explain, quickly please,” she added curtly.

The image changed, becoming a simple map of Equestria as the gryphon’s head continued to float.

“Hundreds of creatures left the south pole a few hours ago, as best as we can tell. We only now noticed their departure. There are significant disturbances in the badlands, as well as every major city. Each disturbance is a nexus of arcane energy. Whatever is going on it’s big, nasty, and matches the magic the Windigos use for their so-called Emissary. There is also a point focused on a mountain some distance away, Empress.”

Celestia’s eyes widened, immediately activating a few emergency spells that sounded the alarm across the primary Barracks.

‘Luna! Did you hear all of that?’

‘We did. Shifting is marshalling the Night Guard. We have detected something odd near the mountain, a transportation spell of some kind. It is slow, however, and will take time to energize. We still have time. Unfortunately, we cannot disrupt the spell. It’s a powerful point to point teleportation matrix.’

‘Understood, be careful.’

“Is this an attack?” Celestia asked, the gryphon shrugging his shoulders.

“I don’t know.”

“That will be all, Compass, thank you,” Brass interjected, tone becoming much more clipped and militaristic. “Empress, I need to go discuss the options with my staff. We can aid you here if needs be, but a large number will overwhelm us until I can muster reinforcements.”

“Understood, please keep in touch, Ambassador. I need to organize my forces as well,” Celestia replied as the group turned and trotted out of the room with a respectful bow. As the doors closed, she let out a tired breath and looked over to Nacreous curiously.

“So, what do…you…Nacreous?” she asked, seeing the gryphon staring at where the Ambassador had once been. The Paladin’s fur and feathers seemed to be clinging to his frame with sweat and his talons shook ever so slightly.

“Celly?” he asked, the alicorn at his side in an instant, her touch seeming to lessen the apparent panic in his eyes.

“Nacreous, talk to me, what is it?”

“I can’t say why, not yet. I’m so sorry Celly…” he whispered. “But Brass is lying through his teeth, and I don’t know why. That history he told you isn’t completely false, but it’s not true either. He’s not telling us the big, real picture.”

“The attack?”

“That is genuine, I can feel the leyline energy being disrupted. Something is coming,” He took a few deep breaths, shaking off the anxiety like an annoying cloak. “Doing a bit better, thank you. I just wasn’t expecting to deal with this so soon.”

“I wish I could understand.”

Nacreous reached up to press his head firmly against Celestia’s, nodding ever so slightly. “There’s so much I want to say and I think it’s about time I do so. That’s why I’m so scared, I think. But let’s get through these rude, uninvited guests first.”

“I’m here for you, Nacreous.”

“And I for you, Celestia.”

Author's Note:

Some adorable fluff, relationship progress, and some background on some new friends followed with a healthy serving of YIKES!

Hmmm. But it seems like two of the evil group are having some doubts of a sort... :trixieshiftright:

If you're wondering about the chapter title...
Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing On Rainbows