• Published 4th Aug 2019
  • 5,996 Views, 763 Comments

Sunspots - RadBunny



When a devastating plague rips through Equestria not even the rulers of the nation are spared. When a quirky but knowledgeable hippogriff arrives to help, Celestia is all too glad for his assistance. But for her, not all ailments are physical wounds.

  • ...
6
 763
 5,996

Chapter One: Fire Lung

The sun began to set, yielding to the nightly celestial body that helped shroud Canterlot in a sleepy embrace. Letting out a satisfied sigh, the keeper of the burning orb trotted back inside to sit at the dinner table. Unlike the mornings when the kitchen staff let Celestia be and honored her request to let the Alicorn make a meal for herself and Luna, the chef today prepared dinner, as they were not yet sick.

Letting out another yawn and taking a deep breath, Celestia winced as her barrel expanded. Her lungs ached something fierce as if she had let loose a massive sneeze prior.

And yet the doctors say there is nothing to be done but let it run its course. My greatest enemy is my bolstered immune system, just dragging on the torture. Celestia grumbled to herself, massaging her eyes, tired lines and bags having formed over the past month.

And hiding it all just makes me even more exhausted; but nothing can be done about that. A pity Commander Shifting’s ‘friend’ failed to stop this outbreak. But at least they’re sending a cure, even in small amounts. No ransom or request for payment, simply…giving.

Quite odd.

“The evening epidemiological report, Highness,” one of Celestia’s secretaries remarked, a surgical mask covering the yellow mare’s face.

“Thank you, Filing, any major changes?”

“Another few thousand infected. Thus far, deaths are concentrated in the already-sick or severely weakened. The numbers are similar to a severe feather-flu season, just across all races,” the mare read out from the parchment. “The main problem is the number of infected. It’s so contagious it lays out everypony, and even if they’re not in any danger, utilities are beginning to suffer. Even with the odd deliveries of the cure, or whatever it is, the infection is outpacing those recovering. It’s like an entire flu season hit us in the past two weeks.”

Celestia nodded, sipping at some hot coco as her eyes scanned the simple report. A neat meal of fruit and pastries was set to her side, the Alicorn munching on the items as she read.

‘Baltimare: 9252 cases of Fire Lung identified. Hospitals and overflow over capacity. Request immediate supplementary staff and supplies.
Appleloosa: 3723 cases of Fire Lung identified. All resources at their limits. Request immediate supplementary staff and supplies.
Vanhoover: 8424 cases of Fire Lung identified. Full capacity, but holding. Request immediate supplementary staff and supplies.
Fillydelphia: 11195 cases of Fire Lung identified. Resources depleted, Request immediate supplementary staff and supplies.’

The list went on and on; prompting a sigh from the Princess.
“Filing, please split the supply requests evenly, adjusting to population for each. Any news from the labs? Are there any new developments from there?”

Filing Lead shook her head, flipping through her clipboard to another paper.
“Nothing from our end, Highness. Magic is ineffective, but traditional medicine seems to at least hold it at bay; specifically, antivirals and antifungals. However, they don’t cure it, only alleviate the symptoms. The current best treatment to be cured is just oxygen, rest, and immune-system support supplements. Well, aside from the mysterious curative potions that have been received. The advance warning from Commander Sands definitely blunted the impact; most hospitals were full to bursting with extra supplies when the infection hit full force,” she then paused, reading from another paper.

“A side note from a few of the cities; those cure batches? They are still arriving to the hospitals, a hundred doses at a time like we have been seeing, but the labs still haven’t been able to synthesize it on our end, nor locate who is sending it, despite the instructions they left with each order. It appears to be a strange sort of herbal combination though; we’ve got reports that a few doses reached the gryphon provinces and crystal empire, even though they’re largely insulated from the outbreak. As for the concoction, even though rushed through testing and approval, the cure seems to have no ill effects. The doctors say it’s basically a perfectly designed compound.”

“Sister?” Luna asked, yawning as well, having heard the report from her position at the door.
“We didn’t wish to interrupt; no change? I checked the dream realm just before I came here; it is rife with fear and paranoia, but it isn’t growing out of control, not yet at least, thanks to the Changeling’s efforts to sooth the public I suspect.”

Celestia shook her head, gesturing to the simple meal as Luna walked over to begin eating; a protective spell surrounding the other Alicorn.

“No change; and thank you Filing, that will be all. Thankfully, it’s not terribly lethal, if these reports remain unchanged that is. The only ponies who have died were rather weak to begin with, and likely would have succumbed to a severe flu as it was. Thankfully, we still have our mysterious benefactor sending doses of the cure to our cities. That said, any news on the source of all this?”

Luna shook her head, gesturing out to the city sprawl that was visible through a window.
“Nay. Shifting still believes this new group is funded from by our cold-weather friends, but it does not seem to fit their goals. Windigos would benefit from a highly deadly and destructive disease that would cause great suffering, not an extreme case of the common cold. And yet they have been quiet for this past month after their attempt on Twilight’s life. This seems different, a random burst of infection across interconnected cities. There has been no contact from our mutual friend either, but we assumed he failed in preventing the outbreak, obviously.”

Celestia nodded, her brow furrowing.
“I agree with Shifting, it doesn’t fit their profile, not yet at least. Now then, I want you and Shifting out of here within a day.”

A huff was Luna’s response, prompting a narrowed gaze from Celestia.

“No arguments. Please, Lulu.” the alicorn whispered, her wings drooping slightly. “I don’t have the energy to do so. Your protective and sterilization spells have worked for now, but if I’m laid out completely sick, there needs to be a ruler operating away from here guaranteed to be safe. Commander Sands and his Lunar Knights should accompany you of course. I’d recommend Remote Location Seven.”

Luna’s brow furrowed, her head tilting slightly in confusion.
“Seven? Sister, is that not the code for a honeymoon destinat-CELIE! Really?!” the Lunar Princess gasped, turning beet red as Celestia chuckled, the gesture sending jots of pain through her sides.

“I couldn’t resist. I think the third location would suit you all well however. It should have been refitted back when we did that security test with Twilight and her friends. Deep underground and secure, you’ll be safe.”

“How are they, by the way?”

Celestia let out a relieved breath, head bobbing slightly.
“The Elements are unharmed. Twilight put a containment field around Ponyville when the outbreak began to spread. They’re almost completely self-sustaining now and she’s working with the other scientists to find a cure via remote laboratories, or reverse-engineer the odd mixture we’ve been receiving. But that is one less thing to worry about.”

Luna cleaned her plate, setting it aside with a reluctant nod of agreement.
“We will not argue, Sister. I’m glad to hear the Elements are safe however. We’ll depart tonight and should be operational to assist in courtly matters within a day.” she then paused, examining her sister with a critical eye.

“How are you holding up?”

For a brief moment, Celestia considered playing down her symptoms, reassuring her concerned sister. The masks of the day were still in place, and it’d be almost easier to keep it that way…
No. I’ve hidden enough from her.

“Honestly, Lulu? My lungs and entire chest ache something fierce and I’m exhausted. I haven’t felt this out of it in a long time. It’s like the flu but ten times worse,” Celestia admitted, receiving a frown from Luna. Her little sister’s eyes however, looked almost relieved at the admission.

“I know you haven’t been sleeping well either. You once asked that I do not pry into your dreams and I have honored such a request faithfully. But please, Sister, I will ask again, will you let me help you?”

Celestia stared at the table, the nightmares of the past few months slowly burrowing their painful tendrils into her consciousness. In but an hour or two they will return, my only barrier to such aid being…

“I-yes, Luna, I’d greatly appreciate your help,” the solar Princess admitted. “I’ve suffered long enough due to my own stubbornness and pride, I think, and I’m just too tired to refuse it any longer. I only ask that you do not stay any longer than necessary. These dreams are…personally painful. Everything is so much worst when you’re sick, physically and otherwise.”

Luna blinked, seeing the various masks Celestia wore clatter to the ground within but a few words. Underneath the regal facade a genuinely hurting and fearful pony looked back at her, causing Luna’s heart to ache as she saw a glimpse of the pain her sister had been hiding for so long.

“Celly, I-” Luna adjusted the protective spell around her body, trotting over to give her older sister a tight and loving hug. “I promise to do as much as I can, and will honor your request.”

“Thank you, Luna, and take care,” Celestia whispered, a slight crack in her voice creeping through. “I’m going to bed now; but when I wake, I want you to be gone, safe and sound, or at least on your way out.”

Luna gave her sister another hug, gently ‘booping’ Celestia’s nose with a hoof.
“Not without saying farewell. I will make sure the preparations are made however.”

Celestia smiled, barely managing to walk down the halls towards her room without swaying on her hooves. Passing through one of the many sterilization fields in place at the doorways, the alicorn managed to reach her room without being too out of breath. With a sigh, the ruler barely made it to her bed before collapsing into the pillows. Her regalia was shed into a neat pile, the Alicorn then taking a triple dose of the newest antibiotic and curative remedy the doctors cooked up.

She levitated a small, empty syringe over, examining it with a critical eye. The mysterious ‘cure,’ sent by the same benefactor that had contacted Shifting those many weeks ago, was proven to reduce if not eliminate the illness from all types of ponies, and allow them to become immune to further infection.

Well, every other type, it would seem, except Alicorns.

It had proven to temporarily help in diminishing returns for her; but Celestia refused to take more doses that would be partial relief for her; yet would deprive her subjects of a so-far permanent cure. Other, more traditional methods would have to suffice. Like so many other times, I suppose. I can handle the pain that my little ponies cannot. At least now I have Luna…

It was to those thoughts that Celestia drifted off to sleep, a thick blanket draped over her frame.


“The plans are in motion, Luna,” Shifting remarked, giving his marefriend a nudge on the shoulder. “We’ll be ready to go in a few hours.” A full-face respirator covered the stallion’s features; the Commander of the Lunar Knights taking no chances. His elite squad was clad in similar protective gear over their armor as they packed up supplies, notes, communication crystals, and other miscellaneous items. Squad Leader Silty Stone waved a hoof, the thestral mare indicating yet another batch of supplies was bound into large cargo nets and ready for mass-teleportation to the remote site.

“Thank you, Shifting,” Luna murmured, her troubled expression softening as Shifting nuzzled her neck ever so briefly.

“You alright?”

“I…do not know,” she admitted, the concern in Shifting’s gaze buoying her spirits slightly.

“I must help my sister though, and I think I’ll feel better once I know what is troubling her. This is the first time since my return she has let me help in this manner.”

“We’ll await your return, Luna.”

Luna nodded, her horn lighting up with power as the dream realm yanked her consciousness away.


It was an easy matter to find her sister’s dream; swirling with dark tendrils and chaotic pulses of magic, Celestia’s subconsciousness was only now visible to Luna’s power. The numerous blockades and shielding spells yielded to Luna’s touch, the Princess of the Night slipping into Celestia’s dreams as the protective barriers let her pass. It was not a full nightmare yet, but well on its way.

Now then, Sister, what can I do to help you?

Luna’s vision cleared, but only slightly. Grey dust blew this way and that, and the Princess’s hooves crunched across the rocky surface.

No. Not rock…

Countless skeletons littered the ground, and Luna’s heartbeat immediately doubled at the sight. The depressive atmosphere sparked at the darkest corners of her mind, the apocalyptic landscape something out of a horror novel as bones carpeted the formless rock underhoof.

What is this?! This darkness, all of this death. What have you been hiding from me, dear Sister?

The dust cleared as Luna continued to walk; the storm swirling around a familiar alabaster figure. Sitting on a slab of grey rock in the middle of a small clearing amidst the bones, Celestia looked out into the storm, the decrepit outlines of a city visible through the dust in the distance. No other shape was visible in the dusty scene, however.

“Gone, every creature gone. Twilight, you t-too? Luna, where are you? With Shifting perhaps, but that is good,” Celestia murmured, causing pity to ache in Luna’s heart.

I would never abandon you, Sister, and neither would Shifting! But perhaps that is your fear.

“Is anypony, anycreature out there? P-please…” the once proud solar princess begged, sagging to the ground as her sides shivered with sobs. “Don’t leave me alone again. Luna? Anyone?”

It was Luna’s turn to be brought nearly to tears, her sister’s pain hitting her as hard as any mace or arrow to her heart.

Celestia; have you truly hid a thousand years of pain from me? Concealed this agony from those who want to help you? Why would you let yourself be tormented like this for so long? Pride? Embarrassment? Did I also not teach you how to have lucid dreams? Why would you not employ such techniques now?

As her horn began to glow, Luna felt odd twinges at the edge of her awareness, Celestia’s mind creating something.
Wait, what is this? A counter to the nightmare, or perhaps the trigger?

The dust ahead of Celestia parted, and a strange figure strode through the storm. Standing as tall as the Alicorn, the creature lacked definite form or shape, instead a swirling mass of light blue energy. The only two defined features were two eyes, their color shifting every few moments. Gentle, caring, and determined, the gaze of this figure caused Celestia to raise her head ever so slightly.

“W-who are you?”

Even she does not know? Perhaps that aspect is most comforting?

To Luna’s surprise the figure walked steadily forwards, sitting in front of the prone Princess. It didn’t say anything, only leaning down slightly.

Luna’s eyes widened as the creature wrapped Celestia up in a hug, two arms forming to pull the Alicorn close. The Princess’s response was immediate, the alicorn relaxing into the figure’s arms, her hooves holding the figure’s arms tightly.

“Please, don’t leave me…”

The desperation in Celestia’s tone threw Luna off balance, her older sister turning to rest her head against the ‘chest’ of the figure.

A hug? A caring touch? Such a simple thing; but that is what desperate desire eases your pain?

Sister, how long have you suffered this torment? Is this an extension of that brought on by Shifting and I? No, it has always been here, hasn’t it? As you once told me, you were just able to ignore it until Shifting and I became closer. Would controlling your own dreams make this burden easier to bear? Or perhaps it would make it hurt all the more, knowing it was not real.

The dust storm suddenly began to intensify, starting to tear the magical figure apart.
“N-no! P-please…” Celestia whispered, Luna’s eyes narrowing slightly as shadowy tendrils crept into her awareness.

Ah, this is how the nightmare begins. This is an easy fix, a little nudge here and there.
Luna smiled as the dust storm began to fade, the figure solidifying back into permanence.

“Sleep well, Sister.”

As her vison shimmered, the real world returning to her sight once again, Luna looked up into the concerned face of Shifting, the stallion’s ears pinned back in worry.

“Luna? You alright?” he asked softly, prompting a nod.

“Yes. Why do you ask?”

“It looked like tears were about to fall from your eyes.”

Luna swiped a hoof across her vision, noting a bit of dampness indeed.
“I-it is personal, Shifting.”

Her loyal coltfriend nodded once, sitting down beside her with a ‘clank’ of his armor.
“Then I will not press. I’m here to talk if that will help though, once we’re somewhere private.”

His words prompted an immediate half-hug from the Alicorn, Luna’s jaw clenching slightly.
Is that what you have needed, Sister? Someone to talk to? A friend? Somecreature to care? I know that as your sister, that has limitations…

Luna put the thoughts out of her mind for the time, instead enjoying the touch of the stallion she cared for as he leaned into her embrace.

Perhaps in time I can help you further. Let us get through this crisis first however.

“I’ll be right back. Shifting?” Luna mentioned as she stood up. “Thank you for being here.”

The stallion raised a confused eyebrow at her words, shrugging his sturdy shoulders with a smile.
“Nowhere else I’d rather be.”


For the first time in many, many weeks, Celestia slept peacefully. The burning in her lungs was absent as she sat in a beautiful meadow, a warm rain drizzling down upon her. The slightest breeze shifting flowers and surrounding trees this way and that. The sun shone through a smattering of clouds, making the scene sparkle with rays that dances across the faces of flowers and leaves.

Cradled in the arms of a faceless figure, the Alicorn let a genuine smile dawn on her tired features. The masks she wore had no place here, their weight no longer dragging on every expression or emotion the ruler curated or felt.

How long has it been since I could do this? Not worry about how I appear, how I act, how every word I may say is construed. How long has it been since I have been able to be myself? Do I know what that is anymore?

The warm rain wet her coat, the steady pressure of the drops making Celestia sigh happily.
How long has it been since I’ve let myself wonder such things? About my life, about myself?

The figure that held her radiated a warmth that spread through its eyes, the embrace tightening slightly as Celestia looked upwards. The rain that fell on her face made it feel as though every care in the world was sliding off of her fur with it. Tears went unseen by all except her comforter whose eyes didn’t judge or condemn, only responding to her needs by hugging the Alicorn closer, a spectral arm wrapped around her torso.

Maybe I don’t know who I fully am anymore, but I want to remember. Yet, it’s all clouded….

It was only in times such as this, that Celestia let genuine sobs shake her frame, the impact from a thousand lonely years resonating in her unconsciousness. At the back of her mind, there was the itching realization that it was all just a dream, but that thought was locked away as deep as the ruler could bury it, far beyond her conscious mind at this point.

I don’t know who you are, but thank you.

The spectral figure let out a soft hum, reaching a flowing limb up to brush Celestia’s cheek tenderly, resting there as it gently wiped away the wetness under its touch. Her violet eyes widened in surprise, more tears now flowing steadily down her white fur. An emotion was present behind the rainbow gaze of this unknown creature in her dreams, and that shook the stoic ruler to the core. It was something she had never, if not rarely, seen in the eyes of her subjects as they spoke with her, unclouded by alternate intentions or simple courtesy.

That realization frightened the vulnerable Alicorn more than any physical threat, the knowledge that the simple question behind some spectral eyes hadn’t been genuinely asked to her by more than Luna in what seemed to be decades, if not more.

The eyes in front of her asked a single question, genuine worry behind the creature’s gaze.

‘Are you ok?’

The only reaction Celestia could give was a whimper, her head shaking as she sought to drown the answer in a comforting embrace. It was the answer to that question that scared her, because it meant admitting something she was forced to ignore for a millennium, all for the sake of her ponies.

How do I answer such a thing? I am ok? That isn’t a total lie…but a lie nonetheless. Why is it that teaching others to ask for help comes so easily, and yet for me…

Such musing were cut short as Celestia shook her head, losing herself in the arms of a dream that sought to alleviate her troubled mind, if for but a time.
How long has it been since I have felt this safe?

The answer to such a question was left unsaid, Celestia once again leaning into the embrace of the spectral figure. There was a strange comfort, being held by a creature as big as one’s self.

She closed her eyes, letting her mind drift into the warmth that only a tender dream could provide, the arms holding her close convincing her, if for but a moment, everything was ok.


Luna crept into Celestia’s room, letting out a slight sigh of relief at seeing Celestia slumbering peacefully. Her expression shifting to that of surprise and then to pity at the sight of her older sister.

Oh Tia….

Celestia held a large pillow tightly in her hooves, body fully wrapped around the plush object as her face was buried into its exterior. Tears ran freely from the Alicorn’s closed eyes, sides shaking softly as the ruler cried in her sleep.

“We’re here for you, Sister. We’ll get through this,” Luna whispered, making her way to the door. “You don’t have to fight alone. We’re here, Tia. I hope you know that.”

As she closed the bedroom door, Luna looked up to find Shifting sitting a short distance away; no doubt wanting to ensure everything was alright. He had kept his word however- and clearly not followed or even tried to listen in on the past events.

Of course you did, my loyal stallion. Honesty is one of many qualities that make you so attractive.

Luna walked over to him, pausing in the empty hallway for a moment. She reached a hoof over to hold his, the contact stirring emotions she sought to keep under lock and key until moments they were truly alone.

“She is hurting, Shifting, and I don’t think I can help her,” Luna whispered, voice cracking slightly as a comforting squeeze was her coltfriend’s response.

“You couldn’t fight my battles for me, Luna, but you were there for me. Sometimes that’s all we can do for those we care about. Celestia is no different, no matter how difficult that may be.”

Luna smiled, reaching down to give Shifting a brief hug as they walked back to the storage room.

“Thank you again, Shifting.”

“You are most welcome, Luna. Now let’s get everything set.”


Deep underground, beneath countless layers of rock and metal, a lone figure walked throughout a domed room, deep in thought. Newspapers lined the stone wall, each methodically placed in chronological order. Notes scrawled on parchment were tacked next to each, numbers matching a map that was hung next to the conglomeration of information. Cities were given ever-higher tallies, erased on a nearly daily basis as new rates of infection streamed in. A large and elaborate chemistry set bubbled away in another corner of the room, the occupant then staring at the newest report that appeared with a magical *pop* on a large wooden table. Two bright, ocean-blue eyes scanned over the headlines, then widening in horror.

‘Fire Lung Pandemic worsens, Canterlot nearly paralyzed. Princess Celestia appears to cough and wince in pain during the Day Court; is our ruler sick? What does that mean for our city, our nation? Princess Luna leaves for undisclosed location yesterday, details not released. See below for updated steps of how to keep you and your loved ones safe…’

Two massive side satchels were donned, the containers stuffed to the brim with various supplies and instruments. The glow of a magical portal then lit up the stone room briefly, vanishing as the sole occupant stepped through it.

Author's Note:

*Wall of Introductory Text*
AND HERE WE GO! I've been itching to write this story. It's going to be as long, if not considerably longer than Timeless, so buckle up for action, adventure, and lots, and lots of fluff. And Florf (to those who know what that means, do explain in the comments :trollestia:)

For now, we see what exactly is tormenting the Sun Princess so. Poor Celestia. A thousand years of not having anyone to confide in, and running a nation on her own amid a time of strife and conflict. (As implied by the 'now is the most peaceful time' comment in the show.) I can't imagine what kind of damage or lasting effects that would have on someone.

Well, actually I can; and I hope to explore the affects on one's mind in this story. So much about her is left unsaid; I hope my take on things is interesting and satisfying! This was an emotional chapter to write, to be honest.

As a foreword; I DO plan on having bits and pieces of Luna and Shifting's relationship in here (Obviously!) As to how much or little, I still need to decide that, since this story mainly concerns Celestia. They aren't going to fade away however! (That ship is still sailing strong!) The current plan is to give them half-chapters here and there. Shifting still needs to spoil more poems for his marefriend!

Oh! And here's few links concerning a certain Sun Princess. I simply love how this artist has portrayed her, and it simply fits so well. (And I have to say, these pieces certainly help scrub away the unique facial animations from a certain episode.) If I had to use references for this story, these would be it. They capture Celestia's 'less-regal' or casual side, of which we saw a glimpse of in Dark and Dawn.
Link 1, Link 2 Link 3, Link 4 Link 5

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope everyone enjoys this new story! ONWARDS! :yay: