• Published 4th Aug 2019
  • 6,005 Views, 765 Comments

Sunspots - RadBunny



When a devastating plague rips through Equestria not even the rulers of the nation are spared. When a quirky but knowledgeable hippogriff arrives to help, Celestia is all too glad for his assistance. But for her, not all ailments are physical wounds.

  • ...
6
 765
 6,005

Chapter Twenty-Four: Sunrise

“Tall Tale?” Onyx repeated to the alicorn standing in front of him with Icait hovering at his side, the three of them located in their usual icy cavern.

“Correct, that is the location. Do you have any questions for the terms I previously outlined? I’d appreciate it if you could repeat them.” Luna asked.

Onyx let out a huff, shaking his head.

“Train to be a guard and show that I am not a threat. I can do that,” he rumbled.

“Help a gryphoness in a greenhouse and aid in running the local library!” Icait gushed, happily bouncing up and down. “Um, sorry.”

Luna couldn’t help but smile, but noticed how Onyx still appeared rather troubled.

“You have questions?” she asked.

“I assume we are to be under constant watch? Magical locking spells, if I had to guess?” he asked.

“Correct. It is a precaution necessary until we ascertain that your intentions are indeed true,” Luna admitted.

Onyx shrugged, seeming content with his fate while Icait’s ears pinned back.

“It doesn’t feel very good to not be trusted, but I understand,” she whispered, “And you said Starlight Glimmer will be our contact for trying to adjust to life?”

“Yes. She has some experience with different viewpoints that I believe will help you come to terms with living in Equestria. Gelliana is quite open to having a new friend as well, Icait,” Luna relayed.

“And Onyx, the guards have been notified and screened for your arrival. Starlight will likely be your primary contact, as I understand your adjustment has been rather unsettling as of late. You are not to be rushed into the guard training. I believe Starlight has a few ideas of what to pursue first.”

The Lunar Princess could have sworn the greyish-black stallion’s cheeks lightened ever so slightly, flushing at the words as he nodded.

“I will inform them of your arrival then. Expenses are paid for rent and such. We expect you all to be self-sufficient in due time, but one step after the other. First, we just want you to interact with the public, and they with you. You will be adjusting, and they will be adjusting to you. I cannot guarantee positive reactions to your presence.”

“I’d be shocked if there were only such,” Onyx rumbled, “but this is a tender mercy considering what I assumed you would do to us.”

“Times change, as do ponies and other creatures,” Luna said softly, powering up a simple teleportation spell. “Every one of us.”


Ugh. I’ve sat on this secret for a week!

Silty stone looked at the communicator crystal in front of her, hundreds of Night Guards and Lunar Knights standing at attention, all arrayed across their underground training area.

“I was informed of this a week ago. The Commander wanted me to tell you all that he asked Luna a question. A question I think we all knew was coming.”

The device flashed once, a bright pink that made the made Silty grin- the signal from the Commander.

“She said yes!”

The underground training cavern erupted in a roar of voices, hundreds of Lunar Knights and Night Guards cheering with a force that shook the granite walls.


Nacreous took a deep breath of the salty air, enjoying the sound of the waves on the rocks below. The sea sparkled out before him on the cliff, and the company was second to none.

“So, she wants to have an extravagant wedding? I’m surprise, I thought Luna was a bit more reserved.”

Celestia chuckled, snuggled up against her favorite hippogriff.

“Oh, she is. But in this case, I think things changed. The absolute joy on her face when she tackled me with the news a few weeks ago,” Celestia sniffled, wiping away a bit of moisture. “I’m just so overjoyed that Lulu is happy. To see her have come so far in these years…”

“And I’m happy for her too. A year-long engagement is a surprise as well. But I suppose things are different when time means very little, especially for those two.”

“I agree. They’re in no rush it seems. I don’t think I’d be able to do that. Waking up every day and crossing out an X on a calendar for a year or more,” Celestia giggled.

“Goodness. Talk about stir crazy. I’d go nuts as well,” Nacreous agreed, then letting out a hum. “I do like her ideas for the wedding, from what she shared at least. A bit too big for me though, as odd as that may seem.”

“Oh? You do enjoy the dramatic flair I thought?”

Nacreous nodded, wings shrugging in pondering.

“I do. But for a moment like that, I think something small and intimate would be more meaningful. I’d have to tell Coarse Pen and his wife though, no question for the grooms-stallion and mare. Well, other than Gaudi, Iust, Fori, and Arbo.”

“Hmm. I did muse over an extravagant affair for a time, I must admit. Banners and trumpets and all that. But I’ve come to realize something these past few months,” Celestia admitted.

“Oh?”

“Moments like this mean more to me than any nation-wide celebration, any redecorating of the castle, any of that. Perhaps just have Luna and Shifting there, Twilight and her friends of course- no question about that. And perhaps some of my friends from other nations. No more than a dozen or two in total,” Celestia cuddled against Nacreous’s shoulder, cheek resting on his soft feathers. “I’ve been worshipped for a thousand years. I’d want such a ceremony to be free from any of that. Just me, Celestia, and the creature I love the most. Not as a Princess, or a Queen. Just me.”

“I think that sound absolutely lovely and appropriate,” Nacreous admitted, reaching over to hold Celestia’s hoof. “Hmm. White and blue sounds like a lovely color scheme. Maybe some gold too.”

“Oh, definitely gold. You in that armor? I want a painting of that hung somewhere.”

“You could just ask me, y’know.”

“Perhaps,” she paused, and Nacreous could sense an air of bother settling over his Princess.

“Celly? What is it?”

“Just….” Celestia began, hoof tightening around Nacreous’s claws. “It’s funny. I just don’t want to take the spotlight off Luna. I’d never forgive myself for such. She deserves all the love and adoration of the kingdom. To announce the same thing but a few weeks after her and steal that? I couldn’t live with myself doing such.”

“Then don’t.”

Celestia drew back her head in surprise, Nacreous chuckling.

“Who says it has to be an announcement? Perhaps a quiet affair with only the closest of friends. It may be a scandal, but the intentions are pure. The fact you care of your sister so much is rather touching, Celly,” the King then let out a huff, a wry smile dancing at his beak. “If not that, I’ve waited a thousand years to find somecreature. One more year wouldn’t change feelings or intent. We already see each other every day for hours on end, between negotiations, dates, and the like.”

“Oh, but it would make teasing oh so much more difficult.”

The hippogriff let out a soft *snrk* with a nod, eyes then widening. Celestia felt his claws start to shake, and Nacreous looked over to her in shock.

“Uh, Celly?” he asked, “did-did we just plan our own wedding?”

The alicorn drew back her head in shock, staring at her equally surprised love, an awkward smile that she so loved now plastering itself across his beak.

“I think…we just did?” she whispered, the realization now setting it. “N-nacreous, I-”

Despite trembling claws, Nacreous fished out an item from his large saddlebags, a beautifully crafted obsidian case opening smoothly.

“I’ve been carrying it around for a few weeks now,” he admitted. “So…”

Celestia felt tears immediately brim in her eyes, her sun seeming to flare a bit brighter. Set in a soft, white velvet was a simple silver necklace. Cradled by carefully-crafted crystal fingers, a perfect representation of her sun shone from the center of the amulet.

On looking closer to the radiant gem, Celestia felt tears now begin to run down her cheeks. Dark, shadowy-specs dotted the replica sun, and she could barely whisper the word to herself.

“Sunspots.”

Taking her hoof in his claws, Nacreous scooted a bit closer, his own eyes misted with emotion as he struggled to speak.

“Celestia? Will you marry me?”

For the briefest of moments, Celestia couldn’t speak. She finally forced out a single word, one that freed her from the bindings of emotion and nerves.

“Yes.”

With a careful nudge of magic, Celestia carefully closed the necklace case and darted forwards to wrap her love up in a tight hug, tears running from her eyes.

“YES!”

Nacreous immediately held her close and let out a deep chuckle, rocking her back and forth as Celestia repeated her answer, this time drawing back her head to meet Nacreous’s eyes.

“Yes, Nacreous. I will.”

Retrieving the necklace, Nacreous gently draped it around Celestia’s neck, the alicorn drawing a breath in surprise.

It was warm.

“A heating spell?” she asked, now seeing Nacreous almost appear sheepish, shaking his head.

“It’s a miniature replica of your sun, so it has to be powered by something, the spell that is,” he said softly, “and I asked King Thorax and some of his mages to, well, come up with another energy source.”

Just when she thought the tears had dried up, Celestia felt more in her eyes as Nacreous tried to finish the sentence.

“Love. It’s a powerful thing.”

No more words were able to be said as Celestia wrapped up her hippogriff in a tight embrace, occupying his beak with a passionate kiss that made his wings flare. Nacreous held her close as he returned the gesture, certainly enjoying a similar reaction from his Princess.

“I’m not going anywhere, Celly,” he finally said as they broke apart, Celestia wiping her eyes as she sniffled. “Not now, not ever. You’re stuck with me, Sunspots.”

Celestia laughed, yanking him back in for a hug and this time swinging him about as best she could, Nacreous chuckling as they now sat in the field, claw and hoof clasped tightly together.

“Nocreature else I’d rather have at my side,” Celestia said, her mouth then widening into a grin. “So, wedding cake that’s shaped like a pile of Pego’s?”

Nacreous now laughed, resting his forehead against Celestia’s with a carefree smile.

“You know me far too well, but only if we have a giant pot-pie included in our refreshments. Maybe Discord can make it talk.”

Now it was Celestia’s turn to dissolve into giggles, Nacreous spinning her out into a twirl, then pulling her back to rest in his arms.

“Whatever the future holds, Celly, I’m glad you’ll be with me to see it all,” he whispered, Celestia reaching up a hoof to rest on his cheek.

“As am I, Nacreous,” she replied, a determined smile on her face. Her horn lit up, teleporting a record player to the field. As it began to play, Nacreous’s eyes widened, Celestia stepping back and holding out her hoof as the song of their first date played.

Music Option

“And let this promise in me start, like an anthem in my heart…”

The song chorus belted out in full force, the pair dancing away in the wind-swept fields of the ocean island. It was only a moment, but Celestia could have sworn she saw a few familiar ghostly figures smiling at them before vanishing.

As the song began to repeat, Nacreous’s eyes widened, and to Celestia’s surprise tears now coursed freely down his cheeks.

“Forever,” he whispered, “You and me, n-not forgotten….”

“Forever,” Celestia confirmed, reaching over to give him a brief kiss. “And never forgotten!”

She then laughed as Nacreous spun her in a twirl once again, Celestia swaying in his arms as her fiancé held her close.

“My little Sunspot.”

The End.


The story of Toxic Shield, Gelliana, Onyx, and Icait is continued in: A Cure For A Toxin

Author's Note:

FEELINGS! :raritycry: Ugh my heart during this scene...but happy! :pinkiehappy: Those heartstrings...

This has been an absolute pleasure to write, but all stories must come to an adorable end. I hope everyone has enjoyed the story, and I look forward to continuing this storyline with a focus on a different group of curious creatures! Celestia, Nacreous, Luna and Shifting are still quite present however!

I hope to see you all in A Cure For A Toxin

Comments ( 69 )

A wonderful beginning this, now off to other quarters as we give the lovebirds some privacy.

10175705
:raritycry:
Wanted to give each pair a very separate feel to their relationship. That song is perfect for them.

damn this was good

10175820
:pinkiehappy: This was one of the more satisfying stories I've written, tbh. Didn't feel rushed, dragged out, and concluded with a feeling that I'm 100% happy with.

Aww this was so cute! I literally love them so much! Can’t wait to start reading the next story!

10175828
Still haven't been able to find time to read it yet, but look forward to when I can. And I see there's a sequel to this as well. Just one question: is there a reason why it's showing as "incomplete"?

10175909
No rush, it's here to stay!
And that's just a total oversight on my part. Fixed!

Man I wanted to see the weddings.
Will we maybe in the sequel?
Anyway I'm in love with your stories. They just seem so cheesy romancey things with bits of adventure and those are my favorite type of stories that I love.

10/10
~Reggie

10176293
I enjoy leaving the wedding scenes up to the reader. I think in some ways that makes it a bit more special, every reader imagining their version of the wedding, none of which would be wrong. I could be incorrect about all that though. :rainbowlaugh:

I'm glad you enjoy them! I've come to terms that I'm a romance author....
so here I am.:trollestia: The sequel is no less fuzzy. A bit darker, but plenty of fluff.

10176300
Aw man I think the weddings would be super fluff and would be great.
but that is fair I suppose

Anyway on to start Toxic meow

“Love. It’s a powerful thing.”

Yes. Yes it is.

Edit: I'm looking forward to at least one wedding ceremony.

10176472
We'll see. :rainbowlaugh:
10176412
Hope you enjoy it! A gryphoness does have one of the spotlights too!

What a brilliant ending man, well done

10176594
:twilightsmile: Thank you! It's an ending I'm 100% satisfied with, tbh.

Yes! Brilliant, Rad, brilliant! If you could see me, I'd give you a standing ovation right here and now. Thanks for delivering these sweet two fics to us, and I can't wait to see what the third installment has in store! Once again, graceful writing, Rad. Good job! :pinkiehappy:

10176693
:pinkiehappy: I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was an absolute blast to write!

The next story is very different in terms of feel, but honestly may be a bit more fluffy in some aspects.
'Deeper' fluffy aspects?
It's still adorable! But also a bit darker. Hope to see you there! :yay:

Liked and added to favourites.

d´awwww :fluttercry:

I like the love powered spell, nice touch.

10184320
It was the adorable cherry-on-top in this case. This was an ending I'm honestly 100% satisfied with, tbh.

Bruh...... Did you predict the corona virus? I just red a small part of ch.1 and the last ch. In the previous story and that's almost exactly like the corona virus you just predicted the future😂

10186002
:rainbowlaugh: It wasn't influenced by it, I can safely say that! Rather amusing though.

10186641
:pinkiehappy: I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Honestly, Sunspots was one of the most fun ones I've written, ending and all!
Cure for a toxin though...it's a different beast :trollestia:

Do you think you would ever look into a cross over into another fan fiction or even an extra dimensional jump?

10188069
Possibly. But it's mostly an alternate universe idea/etc. The idea or two I have is on the back-burner though.

Loved all of it!!!

Perfect ending for an amazing story.

However, all the ending really did was make me really want to see more of Icait and Onyx.
Seriously, my two favorite characters.

10265840
Does that apply to Luna too?
In terms of power stuff I mean
(haven't read the fics yet but I just want to comment anyway)

10301950
:rainbowlaugh:
If you mean that both the Princess's vastly underplay their actual physical and magical power, yes. The same goes for Luna- but she hasn't had 1000 years to refine/practice.

10302108
Would she well.. um.. "catch up" to Celestia or is she just going to be in her shadow there due to that?

10302113
She could. But remember she IS the younger sister. I'd say they're comparable in power, Celestia is just more refined at doing so. The Day cannot exist without the Night. The key difference is that 1000 year rule. Luna could catch up, certainly.

10302123
Preferring she does managed to "catch up" and not stay in Celestia's shadow honesty..

How would she be able to do it though?

10302125
"Shrug" Not sure. That's far outside what any of my fic's deal with. It has to do with simple life experience. So in that sense perhaps she wouldn't catch up. But hard training could perhaps help close what gap will always exist between the two.

10302199
Really wished she did catch up though.

10302204
Wouldn't surprise me if she did in terms of magical prowess.:twilightsmile:

10341839
Lol, and I'd be one of its first residents. You can call me sensei builder. :derpytongue2:

10374766

Was just mentioned once

Really? I must be thinking of someone with a similar name as him cause the person that comes to mind was a major character in a story. The name Tempered Mettle comes to mind now; either I'm right about the name or mixing two completely different ones together. Memory can be weird like that. Now I'm curious and gotta do some investigating.

10375234
Hmm, do let me know! In searching the story document, his name only came up once or twice when Shifting was talking with him

10380707
It's so good! And same with the song!

I can't spoiiiiil anything! But I did like being able to portray Fancypants as a good-hearted noble, not the jerks we've usually seen.

I had a feeling that we'd be getting a marriage proposal here, but two? :yay:
I certainly enjoyed reading this story and everything was wrapped up nicely in the end. I also see that the story continues with a focus on Toxic Shield and Gelliana. Curious to learn more about Toxic's past. I can already tell that I'm going to like Gelliana though, with what little has been seen of her thus far. Clearly a shy and quiet individual and yet.....

“And guards will be on station? Not sure if the daggers I have will be of use against a Windigo.”

You have daggers?

👀 Well then! :pinkiegasp:
Had a funny visual of her flipping a switch from being shy to all of the sudden donning a set of nunchucks and taking out all who dare try to harm her or her friends. Beware the unassuming gryphoness!

Also looking forward to seeing more of Onyx and Icait, even though they won't be the main focus. Icait is sweet, as Luna thought once in passing, and I wonder just how difficult it will be for Onyx to adjust. I was also wondering one thing about these two: even though they're starting to look more pony-like, would it still be clear to other ponies what they are/were?

Well, onto the next story that awaits. Maybe I'll actually catch up to the current chapter with this one.

10382813
I'm glad you enjoyed it and it wrapped things up neatly! I wanted it to be a satisfactory conclusion for both parties, while teasing the adventures of the next!
Gelliana is a gem, that is all I will say :rainbowlaugh: Hope you enjoy the next story!

This has been an awesome story, and one I have really enjoyed

10469416
I'm glad you liked it! It was a blast to write- that said, the sequel is definitely a different flavor.

Very enjoyable and I am hoping the next is also wonderful

10646573
I'm glad you liked it! The next story is definitely a different feel.

Login or register to comment