• Published 4th Aug 2019
  • 6,005 Views, 765 Comments

Sunspots - RadBunny



When a devastating plague rips through Equestria not even the rulers of the nation are spared. When a quirky but knowledgeable hippogriff arrives to help, Celestia is all too glad for his assistance. But for her, not all ailments are physical wounds.

  • ...
6
 765
 6,005

Chapter Eighteen: Gilded Towers

The small Windigo’s form shimmered violently in the ice cave, the shadowy pony in front of her channeling a spell as runes around them glowed steadily.

“And…there,” he hissed, the magical storm ceasing as the Windigo blinked, looking around in shock.

“They’re gone. The Emissary, the others; it is just me,” the Windigo whispered, the Shadow pony shrugging.

“And yours truly. Did I not predict this would happen?”

The Windigo nodded, figure shifting slightly as the more protruding, horse-like features softened with every passing moment.

“You did.”

“Hmm. However, I did not predict you turning to look more like a pony though. That is most odd.”

The Windigo blinked, looking at her ghostly reflection in a shimmering ice-wall in surprise.

“What does this mean for us?”

The Shadow shook his head, looking at a similar reflection in genuine nervousness.

“I do not know. Celestia was more powerful than I ever could have imagined. The best I can do is sow seeds of unrest, yet that seems more unappealing day by day. I must at least try.”

“Must you?” the Windigo asked, a definite mare-like tone entering her voice. “What chance do we have against Her?”

“Perhaps you have continued to shift from your nature, but I have not. Not completely,” the pony grunted in frustration. “The destruction of the Emissary was disturbing in a way I cannot explain however. The drive I once felt has begun to fade, for she was the one who summoned me with a singular purpose. Without her…”

“She was the tether to this world for both of us. We should not exist like this. We both continue to feed on hate, and yet we are different.”

“Perhaps we are abominations then. You are free to ponder our existential crisis; I need to make plans to disrupt what I can while we are still hidden.”

As the Limbo-Born pony trotted to a remote section of the cavern, the Windigo reached out a ghostly hoof to poke the reflection that stared back at her, the barest hint of an unsure smile on the mare's face.

“I…am.”


Celestia finally composed herself, Nacreous letting her go as he let out a slight wince and taking a few deep breaths. His eyes then widened, a rather large grin replacing the pained expression on his face.

“Celly, that is a new look.”

Blinking, Celestia looked at herself and chuckled, only now replacing the mental faucet back on the water main of solar power, albeit a bit reluctantly.

I must do that more often, bathe in the full power of the sun.

“Aw, I liked it. Quite a bit actually,” Nacreous pouted, even as some very confused ponies watched the exchange.

“Behave, you. I think you need to address a few things. We’ll talk later.” Celestia said, gesturing towards Brass Link who trotted up to Nacreous.

“Sire?”

“Commander, I’d like to accompany you back to the kingdom.”

The pony tilted his head in confusion, gesturing to a portal that had ignited immediately on the King’s request.

“We would be accompanying you, Sire. The Empress is welcome as well, I assume.”

A quick update to Luna was all it took, and then Celestia followed Nacreous into the portal with Brass Link and the Knights. Nacreous shrugged away a few unicorns with a growl as they stepped through.

“It may be just a fancy collection of villages, but I will not be carried into my own kingdom,” he grumbled. As their vision blurred and then cleared, both Celestia and Nacreous drew a surprised breath, Brass Link chuckling.

“A collection of villages? Sire, you have not visited us in a while, have you?”

The group stood at the outskirts of a city, massive grey stone walls rising behind them. Granite crystal-topped towers fed into a large rose-colored shield that spread over the entire expanse, keeping a howling blizzard at bay. A shimmering golden road spread out under their hooves and claws, mirroring other such paths in the distance. It was laid out like a compass, every path directing towards the central buildings in the distance. Brilliant white stone towers rose up from the snowy ground at the center, a large crystal topping a beautiful and graceful castle. More modern skyscrapers also were dotted here and there, but none went above the castle itself as though in respect.

As Celestia and Nacreous were whisked along the golden path, each step moving them a dozen paces as the magic pushed them along, they looked to either side in astonishment. Regiments of ponies and gryphons stood at attention, Dreadnaught squads moving into position as announcements rang out across the massive assembly area. Hundreds of soldiers moved in unison, trotting into orderly formations here and there. Large portals sprang into existence with an odd rhythm, the announcer regularly blaring out from loudspeakers.

“Fillydelphia. Violet Squad. Estimated enemies, four squads. Move out,” the announcer called, ponies flooding through the portal before it collapsed and re-ignited with a ‘pop’.

“Griffinstone secure. Crystal Empire new destination. Dreadnaught Squads Eight and Eleven, Knight Company Five. Estimated enemies, battalion strong. Move out.”

“Mount Aris. Yellow Company, Airborne Squad Five. Estimated Enemies, two squads. Move out.”

“Canterlot. Blue and Green Battalions. Third Knight Company, Dreadnaught Company. Estimated enemies, A company strong. Move out.”

It then hit Celestia, tears threatening to obscure her vision of the fantastic sight.

They’re helping my ponies…our allies.

“Commander?” she asked, Brass Link wincing.

“Apologies, Highness. We could not wait for permission, but I do ask for it now. We are sending our forces to support Equestria and their allies.”

“You most certainly have it,” Celestia replied, looking over to Nacreous, the hippogriff seeming to be in a state of shock.

“Brass, how is this possible? What is all this?” he whispered, the Commander appearing genuinely confused.

“Your Kingdom, Sire. Built and governed as you have directed us to do these past thousand years.”

Nacreous stared in shock, both at the pony and then back to the beautiful city that drew ever closer.

“I…what? Wait, my letters?”

Brass was all smile as he nodded, continuing to trot along.

“Helping others is a staple of our beliefs, as is a strong military as you taught three hundred years ago, I believe that specific letter was. I didn’t lie fully about our roots, you know. That village you aided indeed was the source of ancestors in this land. I just left out that the ancestors didn’t migrate, the village did. Hauyne is the same village you aided so long ago, now a beautiful gem in the northern ice shelves,” Brass explained even as Nacreous shook his head.

“You all should have forgotten me. This isn’t possible…I just-I don’t understand.”

“Sire, don’t think of it too deeply. All will be explained when we get to the Archives.”

That silenced the hippogriff, Nacreous nodding as they continued to walk along the speed-road.

Music Option 1
Music Option 2

The castle and buildings continued to grow taller, now quite a few creatures taking notice to the large entourage and standing still in shock. A few began to bow, and Celestia could see Nacreous struggling to control himself as his eyes swirled with a hurricane of emotions.

With the castle looming high above them, the group approached a large domed structure, spires stretching up to nearly the limits of the distant castle roof. Pegasi and gryphons flew here and there as creatures of all sorts occupied the grounds. Statues dotted the beautifully kept marble gardens as Nacreous and Celestia walked to the edge of the golden road. The Alicorn steadied her hippogriff as he leaned on her in surprise, an emotion well warranted.

A beautiful carving of Fori looked at them with a kind gaze, Arbo at her side. Iust and Gaudi stood a short distance away in a similar stony likeness.

“You remember them…” Nacreous whispered, following Brass Link as they approached the giant doors to the structure, intricate runes etched across the gold-gilded stone.

“Highnesses, may I present the Archives,” Brass stated with a flourish, two Earth-pony guards yanking open the doors.

Nacreous’s rear limbs promptly gave out, the hippogriff staring at the statue that greeted the group. Celestia felt her own emotions welling up at the sight, only having an inkling of how much this must mean. The structure put the Royal Library to shame, no fewer than five balcony-studded stories stretching up above them, all lined with bookshelves of all shapes and sizes. Blue-flamed lanterns flickered as a few distant creatures moved here and there, far beyond the open ground floor and staircase beyond.

However, standing directly in front of them clad with full royal regalia, a likeness of Nacreous Thunderwing beckoned them onwards towards the grand staircase.

“I’d say we got it about right,” Fori remarked softly, the feline appearing at Nacreous’s side with a smile, Gaudi, Arbo, and Iust doing the same to their right.

“How is this possible? I know you were ‘me’ during my reign, but….” Nacreous whispered, then looking over to his friend in borderline anger. “You knew. All of this time, you knew! You knew I wasn’t….”

His words drifted off as Fori shook her head, the feline’s ears drooping.

“Yes, well all knew, but we were honor bound to not say anything. We made a promise. We couldn’t break that.”

“Why? To who could you make such a promise to make me think I was forgotten, alone, to hide all of this from me! Why?!” Nacreous demanded, a few tears springing to his eyes.

“Because your heart wasn’t ready, my old friend.”

The hippogriff froze, turning to look at the stallion that trotted towards them and past the statue. His body shone with an odd, crystal-like sheen as arcane magic linked together his artificial structure. The stallion’s purple eyes however shone as bright and intelligent as any other and now locked onto Nacreous.

“Do you not remember me?” he asked, image shifting to grow a beard that sparked with magic. The stallion now began to weep even as a smile refused to leave his face. “Perhaps you now recognize me? My dearest friend, have the years dulled your memory so?”

“C-coarse?” Nacreous whispered, claws shaking as he started. “That’s…impossible.”

Coarse Pen wiped away his continual tears, shaking his head. His hoof slammed down onto the stone floor, sending the sharp tone ringing out across the massive library.

“No, Nacreous. Not impossible,” he whispered, a smiling and equally-tearful mare trotting up to appear at the stallion’s side with a smile. “Not impossible at all.”

With a flurry of excited whispering, hundreds of ponies suddenly crowded the railings. Their crystal golem bodies sparkled in the artificial light as they lined ever balcony and stair, a few trotting down to stand at attention in the main hall. The whispers rose to a loud cheer, everypony waving and shouting at once. One chant soon broke free from the rest, everyone joining in immediately in an emotional cheer that echoed off the stone walls and made the windows rattle.

“NACREOUS!”

Nacreous could barely see through his own tears as he dashed forwards to wrap Coarse Pen up in a hug, side shaking with sobs as the clan of Archivists continued to cheer.
“It worked…you d-didn’t…”

Coarse returned the hug, not able to restrain a laugh as he looked up at his longtime friend.
“It worked, Nacreous, just a bit delayed is all.”

Getting control of himself, Nacreous pulled back slightly, not able to resist another hug to Pen and his wife.
“I thought I lost you, one thousand years ago. I couldn’t return, I couldn’t bear it…”

Coarse nodded, gesturing up to the excited crowd of Archivists above them as Nacreous took a step back. “I know, and that is why we remained hidden. It took a hundred years for the golem spell to work; leyline interference we discovered. When we awoke, nocreature remembered you…nobody except for us.” Waving to the ponies, Coarse chuckled, a determined smile now on his face. “Obviously, I took offense to that.”

Bowing in respect to Celestia, Coarse then turned his attention back to Nacreous as they continued onwards into the archives, the golem-pony continuing to explain.

“We sought to continue on, my Clan continuing their purpose of preserving knowledge. We scraped together what records we had of your rule and made sure such facts would never fade again. It was difficult enough to ensure you were remembered as a ruler rather than Queen Fortuna. That was quite clever, using her as your replacement, it was our first order of business. Second….”

They came to another large set of doors, a set of guards pulling them open to allow passage once again.

“These are the Thunderwing Archives, Nacreous. You have seen the visual representation of your legacy outside; now look at what started it all.”

Hundreds of books lined the shelves, thick parchment paper poking out from each massive binder. Each bookshelf was clearly marked by decade, and each volume by year.

“My letters,” Nacreous whispered, Coarse nodding happily.

“Every single one. The requests had to be changed as the nation grew; a legal question for an overall subject, a small issue that was in fact a larger matter, and so forth. It was necessary, Nacreous, to protect you.”

“Protect me? From what?” he asked, the pony nodding.

“From yourself, Nacreous. I didn’t miss it, none of us did. During your reign, we all saw it wearing on you. Bearing that burden alone and behind the mask of Miss Fori…it was burning you up. You would have come back if we asked or even if we didn’t, to your own detriment. We couldn’t have that. We couldn’t let you assume the mantel alone again.”

Nacreous didn’t voice a challenge to that statement, Celestia not able to resist a smile. That certainly sounded like her big-hearted hippogriff.

“And so, we grew in secret, containing the Windigos and prospering beyond measure all under your guidance. The Council of Stewards was formed until your eventual return, which I knew would happen at some point,” Coarse remarked, glancing over to Celestia with an interested smile.

*Music Fade Out*

“Empress, forgive me for ignoring you, but this was a moment I have waited for a thousand years to experience,” Coarse apologized, bowing fully as the hundreds of ponies behind them did the same. “I do not know how much of this is new to you, but I imagine quite a bit.”

Celestia nodded, trotting forwards to stand at Nacreous’s side. She ventured a gesture; formalities being thrown out the window. Scooting close, the alicorn offered her shoulder for Nacreous to lean on, the hippogriff gladly doing so with a sigh.

“This is all new to me, but I was aware of an unknown portion of Nacreous’s past. I did not pry, however.”

Seeing quite a few surprised gazes, Celestia glanced over to her hippogriff with a furrowed brow. “Do you want to tell them? They are your subjects.”

“Oh, that’s going to take some getting used to again…” Nacreous whispered, nodding and standing up fully. “Course Pen, may I introduce you to my marefriend, Princess Celestia.”

The floor rang out with immediate thunderous applause, the clan of Archivists voicing their approval as Coarse actually hopped up and down with a laugh.

“Oh, that is fantastic, Nacreous! Congratulations to you both! To say you both deserve all the happiness in the world doesn’t convey my joy!” he gushed, taking a deep breath and then gesturing about himself.

“Perhaps I should have done this first, but no matter. King Nacreous, Empress Celestia, I am a member of the Council of Stewards, and formally wish to welcome you to the nation-state Hauyne! And to our King, welcome back.”

Nacreous nodded, Celestia still seeing a bit of shivers run through his limbs. All in all, he was holding it together rather well.

“We can finalize the legality of it all later, for now….”

Coarse interrupted with a wave of his hoof and a few tut-tuts, the pony shaking his head.

“None of that. You are still wounded and need to be cared for, and the remnants of our enemy vanquished. There is another, smaller threat that remains hidden, but with their Emissary vanquished along with some of their fellows, the Windigos are scattering. You both have earned a reprieve for now. The Council has ruled for hundreds of years with just a bit of checking in on from you; I’m sure they can continue on in that manner if needs be. Now, my friend, off to the Royal Hospital you go.”

Another brief hug later, Nacreous and Celestia were guided down the large streets towards a distant building. Celestia let Nacreous lean on her, putting his immediate fears to rest with a few, soft words.

“Nacreous, King or not, you’re still my goofball. Don’t think that’s ever going to change. I hold nothing against you for not telling me about this part of your past,” she then paused, making sure their gazes met before giving her hippogriff a tender and loving kiss. “Absolutely. Nothing. Ok?”

He nodded, a few tears springing into the Paladin’s eyes as they continued onwards.

“Thank you, Celly.”

Celestia smiled, giving him a friendly nudge on Nacreous’s good shoulder.

“That’s ‘Sunspots’ to you.”


After a series of tests, Nacreous was released for observation in the main hospital. The doctors wanted to give him another few infusions of magic to ensure there weren’t any lingering effects; and apparently both he and Celestia would be vulnerable to Windigo-based magic for a time due to their exposure.

However, for the moment they were safe and Nacreous was stable. Mentally though, was a completely different matter. As they sat in a luxurious hospital room, Celestia noticed her hippogriff’s claws starting to shake.

Walking up to sit next to him as they looked out at the beautiful city below them, Celestia’s ears perked up as Nacreous began to speak softly.

“Such a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, now that you know,” he whispered. “It’s so liberating yet utterly exhausting at the same time. This land…” the hippogriff grew quiet, his claws shaking a bit more severely. “I have many fond memories of my time as their ruler. But Celly, that time drove me to a very dark place at times. And now to have those memories at the forefront of my mind…”

Celestia scooted closer, draping a wing over Nacreous’s shoulders immediately. She reached her head up to nuzzle his neck, trying to swallow her own emotions.

“Don’t think those words apply to just you, Nacreous.”

His head whipped over to look into Celestia’s eyes, her understanding gaze soft and vulnerable.

“I…how could I forget…” he whispered, a few tears brimming in his eyes. “You would know more than anyone.”

“And know the dark places such isolation can send you, yes,” Celestia added. “But those are but memories to learn from. Neither of us has to rule alone, not in the aspect of before. And that is irrespective of things between us. I have Luna, you have your friends here.” She grew rather quiet, seeing her special somegriff open up yanking open her own emotional barriers.

“I’m sorry for not-”

“Don’t, Nacreous,” Celestia butted in, giving him a kiss to quiet the hippogriff. “I am a bit miffed you withheld something from me, as anyone would be for any sort of thing between special somecreatures. But I understand. I don’t hold it against you, and I never will.” Another kiss made sure to prevent any words from Nacreous’s beak. “And I’ll remind you of that day after day, for as long as it takes.”

“I’d like that very much,” he whispered, then wincing as a few shivers ran through his limbs. “It’s so overwhelming. The good, the bad…the fear…Celly? Please…just…” The paladin seemed to shrink down slightly.

“Hug?”

That single, pleading word that left Nacreous’s beak made Celestia’s heart melt as she yanked him close. Tears now streamed from her hippogriff’s eyes as the Princess held Nacreous in her arms, rocking him back and forth slightly.

I want to help you, Nacreous. But I can’t…I can’t make your pain go away at a whim.

Celestia’s own throat tightened as her love cried, resting against her chest as he sought to escape the memories and fears that his own kingdom dredged up.

I can burn an entire army, rule a nation, but to have you hurt and not being able to help…I feel so powerless. But if this helps, I’ll give you a hug every hour of the day.

As his shaking subsided, Celestia couldn’t help but smile at a thought, hoping humor would lift her Paladin’s spirits a bit as she continued to hold him tight.

“I probably don’t smell the best, fighting an army and only rinsing off when we got here.”

That got Nacreous’s ears to perk up, the hippogriff snuggling a bit closer and clearly enjoying hearing Celestia’s heart beat in his ears.

“Quite the contrary, actually,” he mused, still leaning on the Princess’s chest underneath her head and taking a deep breath. “Like a recently extinguished campfire, still a hint of pine. I quite like it.”

A familiar, endearing cheekiness began to return to the Paladin, his eyes glancing up to the increasingly-flushed Alicorn. “In fact, I would like to get used to it, very much so.”

Celestia let out a snort, poking him with a hoof as she laughed.

“Do I need to get a hose and some cold water?”

“For me? Or for you?”

The pout Celestia sent his way had Nacreous chuckling, the King standing up to rest his head against the Princess’s.

“Thank you, Celly,” he whispered, “You certainly know how to chase the shadows away.”

The combination of compliment, pun, and affectionate tone had Celestia unable to do anything but give Nacreous a rather passionate kiss, a bit of fire sparking in her eyes as he let out a happy hum. His next words made Celestia’s heart burn all the more, three words that somehow meant the same as three other, more intimate ones as of yet unspoken.

“My little Sunspot.”

End of Part 1

Author's Note:

ALL THE FEELINGS :raritycry:
That reunion may have hypothetically caused tears multiple times.

Part 2 is much, much shorter- think of it as the winding-down act now that the primary evil has been vanquished. There's still a few more chapters to go, but this has been quite a blast to write! Thank you all for reading and the continued feedback- and I hope you continue to enjoy the story!