• Published 4th Aug 2019
  • 6,005 Views, 765 Comments

Sunspots - RadBunny



When a devastating plague rips through Equestria not even the rulers of the nation are spared. When a quirky but knowledgeable hippogriff arrives to help, Celestia is all too glad for his assistance. But for her, not all ailments are physical wounds.

  • ...
6
 765
 6,005

Chapter Six: Words that span a thousand years

“You what?” Celestia asked, staring at her sheepish sister as they sat in the Solar Princess’s room, the younger alicorn waving a hoof.

“I know, I know! I feel horrible! But I had a reason to believe Nacreous was affecting your dreams! I just went a bit overboard, and I still feel awful about it!” Luna replied, wincing at the headache tapping at her temples.

“And one of his friendly guardians gave me a splitting headache as a reminder of my mistakes. I intend to apologize to him in person as well; he didn’t deserve my over-reaction.”

Celestia sighed, flopping onto a large pillow with a shrug.
“Well, what’s done is done. But what prompted you to be so forward in the first place? I thought it was a simple dream ‘hello.’”

Luna was quiet for a moment, eyes flickering over to her sister briefly.
“Your nightmare was solved not by a shapeless figure this time, but by one who started to look strangely like a hippogriff. I had the impulsive, and incorrect thought that Nacreous was possibly beginning to influence and manipulate your psyche,” she finally stated, prompting Celestia to look at her hooves.

“I…see. That’s a valid reason but as you no doubt discovered, very wrong,” Celestia mumbled, her sister not missing the slight blush on her alabaster cheeks.

“I was gravely mistaken indeed, but not entirely in terms of being affected. You find him charming, yes?”

The blush intensified, prompting Luna to grin.

“I mean, is it not like in many a poem? A mysterious savior befriending a princess?”

“Oh, shush you. I barely know him.”

“Aye, and I barely knew Shifting when I was smitten with him. His actions spoke louder than a book at times. And that was more than enough for me to fall for him.”

The softest ‘eep’ left Celestia’s muzzle, Luna cackling as her sister buried herself under a pillow.
“We jest, dear sister! A friend, a lover- there is nothing wrong with seeking both at once if that is the case! You can’t deny he does have an appeal. Not really my type, but understandable.”

“Can we please switch the topic? I’m having trouble processing making a friend who is older than me, let alone being open about the possibility of courting him.”

“So you have thought about it! It’s not just a friend you seek?”

“New topic, please Lulu.”

Luna smiled, nodding as she spotted a familiar phoenix cackling with laughter at the exchange, the Princess levitating a small note over to Celestia.

“Well, there’s a note from Nacreous wondering if you’d like to meet in the gardens for lunch; I won’t say anything!” she added, catching a warning glance from Celestia under the pillow.

“All I’ll say, Sister, is that I’m happy you can at least have someone to talk to, in any aspect, other than me. You need friends and I’m truly happy for you taking even little steps towards that.”

“How is it that being honest with a fellow ageless creature is scarier than a legion of enemies?” Celestia grumbled.

“Scarier than a legion of chickens?” Luna grinned, Celestia coming out from under the pillow to give her a hug.

“Close second.”


Nacreous toyed with a blade of grass, thoughts spinning as he eyed his claws.
No doubt I’ll need to clarify my friends’ existence and the like. I can’t tell her everything, not yet.
…But I’d like to.

It was nearly noon and assuming nothing had come up, Celestia had agreed to meet him in a secluded section of the gardens once again. A pond spread out before him; a weeping willow in the distance across the water. In the immediate area were some lilypads, cattails, and other water-savvy shrubs that provided a peaceful scene as frogs croaked and dragonflies buzzed about.

I wonder how long this peace will last. The Commander’s status was known about rather quickly among the Elite.

Likely, his ageless nature would be discovered by the nobles eventually and Celestia would be barraged with questions; but perhaps that could be forestalled for a time, at least until after this pandemic and cult crisis abated. He didn’t want to be a bother, especially not to her. His involvement in the medical center would bring the hippogriff to the public eye soon enough, but until then, Nacreous tried to enjoy the lack of attention, at least in that respect.

I’m still trying to adjust to casual remembrance. To be mobbed by a bunch of politically-focused nobles?
Bleh.

As some familiar hoof-falls reached his fuzzy ears, the hippogriff was acutely aware of the smile that instantly tried to slide onto his beak. The words of Gaudi came to the fore, and Nacreous had to resist the urge to groan.

I guess you were right, reading me better than I could…

Without saying anything Celestia sat next to him, the two enjoying the scene for a few moments.

“I do believe I owe you an explanation for yesterday,” Celestia remarked softly, voice only slightly above a whisper. As Nacreous turned to look at her his ears immediately perked up. The Alicorn seemed different somehow. Her coat wasn’t completely immaculate, a few stray tufts of fur poking out here and there, and a few bangs fell across Celestia’s face as her violent eyes focused on the water ahead.

It was the most genuine Nacreous had seen her, and his heartbeat sped up at the sight.

Beautiful indeed. To say I am not a bit smitten with her is a lie. Of course, I won’t venture to say such things; I dare to even think about it.

“You don’t owe me anything, Celestia,” Nacreous replied, head shaking back and forth. “I assume Princess Luna told you of my friends; we both have things we keep close to the chest, and I don’t expect an explanation for everything. That said, let me simply say this,” he explained, wings ruffling briefly.

“The three individuals Princess Luna mentioned have been my only friends throughout the ages. The Paw’s magic didn’t work on them; and we’ve been through quite a bit together. That’s…all I will say about that, and I hope that suffices. In time perhaps they’ll agree to meet you.”

Celestia nodded, seeming a bit more at ease at the explanation and ears perking up as Nacreous continued.

“Concerning yesterday however, we both have our demons and secrets I imagine. I am curious of course, but it isn’t my business.”

“Except it is, Nacreous.”

Celestia’s gaze met the hippogriff's for a moment, and the sliver of fear in the Alicorn’s eyes made the hippogriff’s head tilt slightly in curiosity.

“How so?”

Celestia paused, hooves scraping at the grass.
“First, can I have your word we don’t discuss anything said here with others? That applies to me as well, of course, I give you my word on that.”

“Then you have my word I won’t speak of anything said here; not unless to you in private,” Nacreous immediately replied, prompting a genuine smile.

“Thank you.” she whispered, wings then drooping slightly. “Nacreous, I have come to realize that I don’t know how to go about all of this,” she admitted with a sad smile. “I have played a certain role for one thousand years and now, that role is set to change at least for a time with Luna’s and my retirement. On top of that, I have never had the chance to get to know somecreature as old as me, not like this at least. I don’t count dragons; they’re not nearly as courteous as you.”

“I’d hope that’s the case.”

She smiled slightly at the comment before continuing.
“You’ll have to forgive me for being a bit uneasy about all of this. I honestly don’t know how to proceed, and I find that extremely unsettling. You said yesterday that you would like a friend, if nothing else, perhaps to continue these talks?” Celestia turned to look at the slightly-larger hippogriff, her violet eyes boring into his own. “I’d like that very much too, if you’re willing to put up with a bit of awkwardness from somepony completely out of her element.”

Nacreous blinked, not able to resist a slightly embarrassed smile.
“I’d like that very much as well, Celestia. And I may hide it well but this is all very new to me too, both in terms of interactions and the whole ‘being remembered.’ he added. “As to how to proceed I’d say these talks and just getting to know one another would be a nice start,” a soft chuckle left his beak at the thought, Nacreous shaking his head in amusement. “This is all rather funny though; we’re both having to learn how to be in a social atmosphere, in different way. A thousand years of experience yet youngsters know how to converse easier than us.”

Celestia added a soft laugh in agreement, turning to look at the pond once again.
“Can’t agree more. I can traverse political parties and meetings with ease; but talking to you? Somecreature on a one-to-one basis as a friend? That is new.” she paused. “I suppose that’s what is most odd to me. For so long, I’ve been Princess Celestia. I have trouble remembering what it’s like without that title and weight pressing down upon me. For that schoolchildren comment, perhaps a thousand years of experience can be a barrier rather than a helpful thing in some cases.”

Her mouth then turned slightly down; expression neutral as her lips formed a pensive line across her muzzle. “A barrier…perhaps that is best how it is said. It’s quite puzzling to me of how easy it is to say these sorts of things to you.”

Nacreous sighed, wings shrugging briefly.
“I cannot pretend to know the reasons, but I can guess.” he mused. “Have you ever had anyone understand the weight of a thousand years before? Because I’d say that’s a pretty hefty conversation piece and a relatable event. As you said, a barrier, and I’d say a burden that most cannot even begin to fathom.”

Of the things Nacreous was expecting, having Celestia’s wings droop and the alicorn look to her hooves was not one of them, her jaw clenched ever so slightly.

“I have not. And even though our experiences are vastly different I imagine, that relatability is something new and very alien to me.”

“But a good thing?”

The hippogriff’s eyes widened as Celestia glanced his way, her own violet eyes shimmering with a bit of dampness as she nodded.

“A very good thing, but it is difficult to process. You’ll have to forgive me, Nacreous. It may seem like a simple matter, but even these simple talks are making me deal with issues a millennium old.”

Nacreous blinked, not entirely sure of how to interpret that statement.
“I can try to understand that.”

A soft huff left Celestia’s muzzle, the alicorn rubbing one forelimb against the other briefly.
“Nacreous, for the first time in a thousand years, I’m forcing myself to be social as me, which makes me confront all of the issues associated with that, being a ruler and all. I’d have to figure this out later during my retirement regardless. Even if I never see you again, you’re one of the few individuals who can see past my title, and that’s…very new. You don’t seem to have that problem, of which I am slightly envious.”

“Aaaaah.” Nacreous mused, a few more pieces of the puzzle falling into place. “Well, I wouldn’t have suggested these talks if I didn’t find you worth getting to know in the first place. So, I’d say so far so good. Princess Celestia has shown to be a fine ruler, that much is certain. But from what I know of Celestia, that pony is quite interesting indeed.” he smiled softly at the ruler, shrugging briefly. “And I suppose I don’t have that problem, but that is more out of necessity. Why pretend I am something I am not, especially if I was to be forgotten in two weeks? And now, I’m just me. I can’t change that. What’s new is the fact you remember me, even now.”

A smile broke past the pensive frown on Celestia’s features, the alicorn not able to resist the gesture.
“Speaking of you, Nacreous, what do you like to do? Other than build with Pegos that is, and outside of medicine?”

Nacreous smiled, picking up a small smooth stone and sending it whizzing out over the pond, the object skipping a dozen times across the surface.

“Building things, exploring strange new lands, and dabbling in a few musical instruments. I’m not great at them, but I’ve enjoyed learning.” he mused. “I like to work with my claws, so woodcarving, and a few side projects I’ve continued to put my efforts into over the years. I’m a bit rusty on my combat training, but I do enjoy sparring and learning new things in that aspect as well. Then there’s the less-active interests, like books and the like. You become quite well-rounded over a thousand years, and I don’t mean my flanks.”

A familiar giggle caught his attention, the hippogriff’s heart fluttering at the sound.

“Sounds like you’ve explored quite a breadth of topics. And I assume you have your favorite areas of interest?” Celestia asked, prompting a nod.

“Indeed; I’d say the combat, woodworking, exploring, some ocean activities, and enjoying the natural world would be my top five,” he mused, then looking over to the Alicorn.

“What about you?”

Celestia’s eyes widened in shock, her mouth opening and closing once.

“I…”

“I take it not many creatures have asked that before?”

A shake of the head was Celestia’s simple response, a sad sigh leaving her frame.
“This is what I meant by ‘issues.’ I just haven’t had many chances to talk like this.”

“I wouldn’t call it an issue, more of a challenge. We all have them after all.”

The slight twitch of a smile but turmoil of emotion in Celestia’s eyes was enough to make Nacreous pause; there was plenty she wasn’t telling him on that front, or so it seemed.

“Well, I do enjoy sports, do you follow Hoofball at all?”

“I’ve never been an avid sports fan, but I’ve enjoyed watching it from time to time, and can appreciate such things.”

“Well, I have to say it’s a unique and exhilarating feeling, rooting for your own team. Outside that? I suppose it has been covered in the papers a bit. Exploring new, uncharted places, fast-paced rides, I think the term would be ‘adrenaline junkie.’” she mused, letting out a soft laugh, her demeanor becoming a bit more relaxed.

“I’d agree with you in terms of well-rounded; you certainly get the chance to try out lots of different things. For all of the adrenaline-inducing activities, there is something to be said sitting and watching the rain, or something similar to that. All in balance I suppose.”

Nacreous couldn’t help but chuckle at her words, gesturing to the peaceful garden area.
“I’d say this is one of those more peaceful activities; but that zip-lining course you went on sounds rather fun, trusting in the mechanics rather than your own wings.”

Exactly! I tried to explain it to Luna, but she obviously didn’t get it. I can go faster under my own power of course, but the thrill of being completely helpless other than that cable, and going so close to trees and cliffs? It’s fantastic!” Celestia gushed, waving a hoof out across the pond. Her cheeks immediately flushed, the alicorn looking over to see Nacreous grinning.

“It sounds pretty fun. I can safely say I’ve never tried it before.” he mused. “I’ll have to add that to the list.”

“The list?”

“Of things to try. Currently, that’s the only item, but I expect to add quite a few more,” he replied, claws toying with the grass once again.

“It’s a similar thrill to sailing, I imagine. It’s an activity that is technically doable without such assistance from a boat or zipline, but trusting in an object and the like makes seen more real and just, fun,” he mused, then pausing. “Celestia, we have some awkward similarities it would seem,” Nacreous explained with a slight shrug. “You have been a ruler for a thousand years and not explored some aspects of life due to that, correct?” A nod was Celestia’s reply, and Nacreous continued. “In my case, I had to remain focused on the tasks I took on, be it as a doctor or otherwise. If I wandered, it was to a location- always having a purpose. I couldn’t let myself simply explore and relax, as it were, not fully. I did plenty of both at times, but I had to have a goal to always strive for.”

“Why is that?”

The hippogriff grew rather quiet, his large figure seeming to shrink slightly.
“Without a goal or purpose to guide me I was afraid of dwelling too much on my current situation. To realize that no-creature would remember me, that I was doomed to never…” his voice drifted off, the Doctor shaking his head.

“No, it was too easy of a dark cave to fall into. And so, I lost myself as it were, helping others. Their happiness gave me a boost to find the next individual in need, and so on. And it worked; but now, I don’t need to do that anymore, and it’s a bit unnerving.”

Celestia let out a hum, a soft laugh then leaving her muzzle.
“It would seem we are both in quite an awkward position.”

“I would agree. But I much prefer confronting it with someone else than alone.”

“Agreed.”

The two were silent for a time, mulling the various exchanges over for a few moments before Celestia spoke again.
“May I ask a personal question, Nacreous? Feel free to refuse though, because I know for me, the answer is rather painful,” Celestia asked, wincing slightly.

“That’s fine.”

“Did you truly not have any friends, lovers, or the like for the entire millennium? It is difficult for me to fathom that, as hypocritical as that may seem.”

The atmosphere changed, but not into a depressing one as Celestia would have thought. If anything, Nacreous seemed to sit a bit taller, even though his head shook once.

“I did not,” he said, voice slightly raspy. “I both couldn’t, and wouldn’t.”

“I…” Celestia paused, not wanting to pry too much.

“I’ll explain, Celestia. Just one moment,” Nacreous muttered, the hippogriff taking a deep breath, running his claws through some headfeathers.

“The magic prevented any of those from forming past two weeks. Anything less than that, I could have pursued, be it friends or otherwise,” The slightest of smiles twitched at his beak, blue eyes glancing over to her own, “Celestia, is this a round-about way of asking if I had a love life?”

The alicorn felt her cheeks burn, eyes darting anywhere but the two ocean-blue orbs that looked at her with a bit of mirth shining in them.

“I’m not…I didn’t mean…”

Nacreous chuckled, waving a set of claws.
“It’s alright. I mean it in jest, mostly,” he replied, keen eyes looking over to the flustered alicorn curiously. “It’s a valid question I suppose. But the answer is no. I could have had an infinite number of one-night or two week stands, as it were,” he replied, wings shrugging. “But what would the point of that be? No, I suppose it might be seen as old-fashioned by now, but I’m a classic hippogriff in terms of romance. Just a single lady for me; whoever that may be.” A slight smile returned to his beak, but this one almost seemed painful, a slight mask appearing to be in place. “I don’t know whether it’s a strength or a flaw, but even if I did find some creature who remembered me, I couldn’t pursue it. I wouldn’t be able to handle…”

Looking up, Nacreous was surprised to see Celestia’s jaw clenched, her eyes wide in surprise.

And understanding.

“You couldn’t handle knowing you would outlast them,” Celestia whispered, and the alicorn seemed to not care as a few tears slid down her cheeks. “We aren’t so different then,” she added softly, the alicorn walking forward to look at the surprised hippogriff.

“Perhaps this is too forward, but I think you could use it.” Nacreous mused, reaching down to tentatively wrap his arms around Celestia’s torso, the alicorn letting out a sniffling chuckle.

“Why do you think I moved closer?” she replied, not able to resist melting into the strong embrace.

“You understand then?” Nacreous asked, and Celestia nodded, tightening her own grip around the hippogriff’s torso.

“I lost Luna, Nacreous. She was, and still is the only pony I could ever open up to fully. I lost her due to my own short-sightedness, careless and lackadaisical attitude towards her, and my ignorance towards how much she looked up to me and wanted to be appreciated,” Celestia paused, head shaking slightly.

“Because of me, she was banished for a thousand years. The only pony I could ever open up to, gone,” Celestia grew quiet, the pair separating as the alicorn wiped away a few tears, letting out a soft huff. “I’ve only hinted at this though with her. I know she’d understand though. Well, fair is fair; what do you know of my romantic life?”

Nacreous blinked, wings shrugging in genuine curiosity.
“I know you had consorts for a hundred years or so? Then nothing after that?”

Celestia let out a mirthless chuckle, nodding slowly.
“Then my efforts haven’t been in vain.”

Seeing the confused look on Nacreous’s features, Celestia gestured to him and the surrounding garden.
“Nacreous, those consorts did exactly what we’re doing right now, nothing more,” she whispered, not able to look at the surprised hippogriff. “A listening ear, somepony to talk to, nothing past that. They were held to a vow of silence both in terms of honor, and a magical spell at times. I stopped the practice when it became more of a political maneuver and when I realized it was possibly doing more harm than good to my mental state. Of course, nobles and observers quickly assumed things went much further than a simple talk.”

“That would explain some things.”

“Like why I don’t have hundreds of descendants?”

“…that too.”

Celestia snorted, waving a hoof dismissively.
“It’s a valid thought, but thankfully the ruse has withstood the test of time.”

“And the reason being because of Luna?” Nacreous questioned, watching as the Princess nodded.

“I lost the one pony I cared for most in the world, and it hurt far more than I ever imagined,” Celestia whispered. “I couldn’t do that again, especially if I found someone in a romantic aspect. To give myself to someone fully, and then see them pass within a generation? There weren’t any anti-aging spells, no artifacts such as the Alicorn Amulet back then, and so I would be left alone again as a certainty. I knew what that would feel like in a small sense, and I couldn’t…”

A comforting wing was spread over her, Nacreous letting out a soft sigh.
“I guess that is a weakness we both share. I still don’t know if it’s that, or a strength. It seemed like a negative flaw in the moment though.”

Celestia shrugged, staring at the pond in thought.
“Perhaps it is both, yet neither.”

They were both quiet for a time, Nacreous finally retracting his wings.

“This is nice. Odd, but nice,” he mused, Celestia nodding in agreement.

“Agreed. More of the nice than the odd though,” she added.

“May I ask a rather personal question?”

“I did so first, so by all means.”

“So, if I am to understand you correctly, there are artifacts that can now render one nigh-ageless?” Nacreous ventured to ask, prompting a sad sigh from Celestia.

“Yes, as of recently, but not often used due to the risk and side-effects. Starswirl also has experimented with an ageless spell as well- but that is a tricky matter. However, there are greater barriers now, funny enough. Making one ageless is a simple task compared to changing how creatures see me, or convincing them to shoulder the mental burden of timelessness.”

“…ah. I take it I have a unique perspective on that?” Nacreous ventured, prompting a knowing look from the Alicorn.

“To say the least. You, Luna, Commander Sands, Princess Cadence and Twilight are among the only creatures who see me as an imperfect pony just trying to do her best. The rest of the population? Not so much. I have tried before to change their view at times, but eventually gave up.”

“That is quite the dilemma. I imagine they’d rather grovel than cook a dinner with you on a date?”

“Oh goodness it’d be disastrous.”

“Probably about as disastrous as me trying to give a normal sized pony a hug. Squish.”

Celestia let out a snort, then waved a hoof at the hippogriff.
“I’m sorry! I didn’t even think about that!”

Nacreous couldn’t help but chuckle, opening his wings slightly.
“It’s a valid health hazard! I’m larger than most hippogriffs, so goodness knows if I try to hug someone too tightly, or stars above trip and flatten them! Trying to get through doors is difficult enough!”

Caught in a fit of giggles that punched through the sad tension of the previous discussion, Celestia couldn’t help but nod in agreement.

“I k-know what you mean!” she gasped, gesturing to her wings. “If I open these too quickly, I could send a pony through a window!”

Nacreous chuckled, gesturing to his hind-limbs with a set of claws.
“Do you have any idea how hard it is to find horseshoes that fit? I have to get these things custom-made. I just got so annoyed by the process I tied up a cobbler for a year getting a stockpile of them!”

The giggles continued to make Celestia’s barrel shake, the alicorn nodding in agreement.
“I k-know! I have a pile of them in my closet for that sole purpose, and that was a pain even with a royal commission!”

As the pair laughed, tension bled from Celestia’s frame, the nerves about speaking with Nacreous fading away at the discovery of yet more common ground.

“May I ask what it was like, growing up? I don’t know much of the hippogriff kingdom back then.”

Nacreous nodded, picking up a piece of stray wood and fiddling with it in his claws.
“I was an orphan, as I mentioned. I’d rather not mention the details of that, but we had clans back then, large family groups. I was raised by my aunt and uncle, along with the others. There was the central location near Mount Aris, funny enough, but that city wasn’t built yet. It was a nice life; living on the coast, and I often miss the salty air.” Nacreous’s tone took on that of a slight longing, a soft sigh leaving his beak.

“I had dreams, ambitions, but got drafted into the province Guard, as was customary for males at the time. We weren’t at war, but there were a number of threats that were making the ruling class nervous. I didn’t want to be just a grunt, so I applied myself for the medical area, and transferred to the Royal detachment. After that, the Paw mistake occurred…and here I am. Skipping over a thousand years at least,” he chuckled, blue eyes glancing over to the interested alicorn.

“What about you, Celestia? I know very little about your life, and I’d certainly like to know more, if you’re willing.”

Celestia’s brow furrowed, and Nacreous noted her forelimbs rubbing together nervously.
“I’m certainly willing to share, but there are some areas I’d rather not delve into. Luna and I were the only Alicorns after a certain point; to speak of before that is rather painful.”

“I understand.”

“But our journey is fairly well catalogued, and it doesn’t deviate too much from what is recorded. From discovering our power to control the celestial bodies which spared unicorns a rather exhausting endeavor, to ruling together for a time. Those were some of the best moments, I think, when we were both still learning how to go about it all together,” Celestia mused. “We’re getting close again though, and for that I am grateful beyond words. After the Nightmare incident, I brought pony civilization out of the medieval ages and into the modern era- an exhausting endeavor not without its costs.”

“Personal costs, I imagine.”

Celestia was quiet, finally nodding once.
“Yes. I became viewed as a nigh-perfect goddess, despite my efforts otherwise. Eventually I just didn’t bother trying to combat the perception. But that takes a toll, Nacreous, acting a role for so long, to then be confronted by the brutal reality that such a role isn’t true… It is a shock indeed.”

“Hence the current uncomfortableness?”

“Exactly. And yet it is certainly liberating,” she let out a soft chuckle, gesturing to the large hippogriff briefly. “Goodness, this is the first time I’ve talked to a handsome male without nobles spinning it as a marriage proposal.”

“I can certainly see how that would be tricky. Ever action being interpreted, judged, and calculated-wait…” Nacreous mused, her words making a grin slide its way onto his features.

“Handsome?”

The blush that pasted itself across Celestia’s cheeks rivaled the color of her eyes, the alicorn’s mouth working as no words were uttered. Nacreous couldn’t help but chuckle, waving a set of talons at the alicorn.

“I was just thrown off a bit, that’s all. Not often you get a complement from an alluring Princess such as yourself.”

His words clearly didn’t help the matter, as Celestia blinked and tried to hide the rather shy smile on her own face.

“Alluring?”

Nacreous nodded, wings rustling in thought.
“Well, I imagine you’ve been called ‘beautiful, gorgeous, lovely,’ and so forth countless of times. It’s a more mysterious descriptor, I think, even if the previous terms are completely valid.”

“I…ah…” Celestia stammered, prompting yet another chuckle from the hippogriff, which then turned into a slight wince.

“I hopefully didn’t speak out of turn, however.”

“No! I mean, you didn’t,” the abrupt exclamation had the hippogriff’s ears perking up, head tilting slightly as Celestia grumbled to herself.

“Celestia?”

The alicorn’s mouth opened and closed a few times, the ruler finally letting out a soft laugh.
“Perhaps it’s best if we are blunt, Nacreous?” she said, gesturing with a hoof towards the hippogriff. “I find you to be one of the most interesting individuals I’ve met in a very long time, and yes, attractive in many ways.” she admitted, violet eyes meeting blue ones briefly. Despite hiding it well, Nacreous could see a fair bit of unease shimmering behind her gaze.

“Well, if we are being that blunt, to which I appreciate by the way, I’d say that encompasses my view of you, Celestia,” the hippogriff added with a smile. “I suppose the question is, where do we go from here?”

Celestia sighed, brow furrowing in thought.
“This is rather new to me as well, at least past a thousand years.”

“Um, join the club?” Nacreous butted in, prompting a genuine laugh to escape from Celestia’s muzzle.

“Oh goodness, it’s so easy to forget this is a new thing for you as well! For different reasons of course,” she admitted, the hippogriff nodding with a smile.

“Indeed. I went on a few courting attempts when I was in the guard, but those never went anywhere.”

“Same. A few genuine ones when first starting to rule, but it just fizzled out for various reasons. Well, some blew up…” Celestia grumbled, Nacreous nodding in agreement.

“Tell me about it, been there.”

“So…where do we take things from here?”

Nacreous hummed, claws tapping against the ground in thought.
“Well, we’re still trying to acclimate to the idea of having a relatable friend, yes?” he mused, continuing to think. “So, to that end just having continued talks, and just spending time with each other, and seeing how it plays out? Be that leaving it as friends, or exploring other possibilities?”

Celestia nodded in agreement, blowing a stray strand of hair out of her eyes.
“I think that’s quite a wise course of action. On my end, I do not want the novelty of finding a relatable friend to override or mask any other developments. That is my concern.”

Nacreous looked over to the alicorn in surprise, head tilting slightly.
“Well, the awareness of such would make that a bit easier to discern perhaps? I would be lying if that wasn’t a concern on my end as well. We’re both rather starved for social attention, as it were. All we can do is see where things go, Celestia. I think we can agree we find the other individual interesting, and is that not how friends or formed, if nothing else? All we can do is be careful, with those concerns in mind. Unlike many, we have the luxury of time to work out any snags that inevitably will arise.”

Celestia nodded, letting out a soft laugh as she gestured around at the two of them.
“Oh, how time changes things. Can you imagine describing this exchange to a star-struck filly or colt before a dance? They wouldn’t understand it at all!”

“Agreed, but that’s the difference between being an adult, be it a thousand years or thirty. Being blunt is just easier. Well, tactfully at least,” Nacreous agreed. “No beating around the bush, no waffling over things, it just makes things easier, just being respectful and being open. Well, ideally.”

“Oh, I wish you could pound those words into the head of every noble.”

“I fear a hammer would break over their heads before the meaning even got close to coming through,” Nacreous grumbled, prompting a light-hearted titter.

“How true that is, but many are not that bad. Hmm…” a thought seemed to cross the alicorn’s mind, “Have you seen the Greatest Showmare?”

“That new musical that came out…a few years ago was it? I never got around to seeing it. It’s on those new film now, is it not?”

Celestia’s horn glowed, a slip of yellow paper popping into existence in front of them.
“Would you like to go? I already have tickets for the film in the royal cinema day after tomorrow; I was going to bring Luna but apparently, she saw it with Shifting earlier. With the threat of the virus most theaters are closed, but one of my advisors suggested to retrofit the one in the lower castle areas to accommodate ponies regardless, protecting the user with spells and the like. It’s a rather ingenious adaptation if I do say so myself. I doubt there will be many ponies there regardless.”

Nacreous nodded, examining the ticket with a smile.
“I think that’d be quite a fun activity. So do we see this as a…friendly outing? A half date? Are you alright with the potential fallout if words get out for such?”

She nodded, an eager but slightly unsure smile on the Princess’s features.
“I can’t imagine the inferences being anything different than that in the past. The only difference is, this time I don’t have to lie about it all. So, an outing between friends, with options open? A half-date as you put it.”

Nacreous chuckled, carefully stowing the ticket in the small satchel on his side.
“I think that’s a fantastic way to describe it, and our current situation for that matter.”

The pair continued to watch the pond for a time- at least until their stomachs began to grumble. Royal and medical duties also summoned them else wares- each taking their leave in separate areas. Yet throughout that day and the next, both held a bit more spring in their step, a smile was on their faces more often than not.


Looking at the large factory in the distance, the Emissary put down the telescope, examining the small devices in front of her.

“The reflector?” she asked the ponies in front of her, each bowing their heads respectfully.

“Concealed and angled.”

“The factory and processing area?”

“Infiltrated, security measures disabled. We will be able to sabotage the process without interference.”

“Guards?”

“We’ve successfully found out their response plans for such an event; and will distract them while the operation takes place.”

The ethereal pony nodded in approval, taking a closer look at the collection of electronics and explosive compounds.
“Then let us begin. Remember; in this case, even a failure can be seen as a success. When the operation initiates, I want at least four agents inside the palace for the next two weeks. An opening will undoubtedly present itself to begin the second wave.”

As the various members of the group began to move, a misty-eyed brown earth pony let out a huff, their frame vanishing into a fog that traversed leagues in moments, re-appearing in an icy cavern with a magical fizzle.

More than ten Windigos stared at the pony as the smaller creature’s frame warped and grey, dark shadow replacing flesh and bone. Fangs slid into the large equestrian’s jaw, the individual looking over his incomplete form in frustration. Two nubs protruded from his back, matching the bump on the black pony’s forehead as pure white eyes narrowed in annoyance.

“You still have not found a way to fully sever the tether then?” he growled, the Windigos shaking their heads.

“It is secondary work compared to our Emissary’s goals,” one of the spectral creatures hissed, prompting the shadowy pony to laugh.

“Your Emissary is going to fail,” he chuckled, gesturing around at the icy cave. “She is bent on using brute force time and time again. Sabotage? An army? She. Will. Fail.”

“Bold words from a prisoner, one who owes his life to Her, the One who gave us voice.”

The pony let out a grunt, shrugging his broad shoulders.
“Bold, perhaps, but true words nonetheless. I still don’t know who serves who in your little family. When she fails, however, and she will, they will come for you next. And then I will be left to pick up the pieces unless you free me. You rejected my plan once, but when your ‘chosen one’ fails at-”

“Give your report and return to observe, Limbo-slave.”

Author's Note:

Well this was a productive chapter! Learning a bit more about each other...and what's this? Dealing with problems in a mature manner? Recognizing some challenges that may arise in the future? Being honest and open with each other?
WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY! :rainbowlaugh: Adult romance is so much different than the teen stuff (usually.)

Now I know this take may ruffle some feathers, but I'm curious if people agree/disagree with this view on our Solar Princess. The common past history of Celestia seems to be that that she has had numerous lovers etc throughout the years. I am obviously portraying that she traveled a much different path, one that hopefully makes sense with her more vulnerable nature.

...and who is this? We get a bit of insight into our icy friends, and a strange newcomer.

I realized recently that this story is going to be quite a ride! This is a first; it's going to be split up into 2 or more arcs. I've got a lot of ideas that don't quite fit with current character development and the situation, so this is going to be a long and fun ride! :yay:

Chapters usually will go up every 1-2 weeks (that's the goal anyhow!) Since it is going to be longer than I originally thought, I want to avoid burnout which I have flirted with on some of my longer stories.
Here's a hint....the next planned arc may have a placeholder title of 'fluffy arc' at the moment. :rainbowkiss:

As always, feedback is appreciated!