• Published 4th Aug 2019
  • 5,994 Views, 763 Comments

Sunspots - RadBunny



When a devastating plague rips through Equestria not even the rulers of the nation are spared. When a quirky but knowledgeable hippogriff arrives to help, Celestia is all too glad for his assistance. But for her, not all ailments are physical wounds.

  • ...
6
 763
 5,994

Chapter Seven: This Is Me

“Wait, you have a date tomorrow?” Luna exclaimed, staring at her blushing sister with an incredulous expression.

“No! Yes! Sort of?” Celestia stammered, brushing her mane in the bedroom mirror in a slight huff. “I mean, we both find the other interesting…and attractive, so we’ll just see where things go.”

“You both admitted to that?” Luna added, a smile slowly starting to creep onto her features. “I have to say, sister, I am surprised. I didn’t expect such a drastic step, nor did I realize you found him that appealing.”

“It’s not that big of a deal! And of course I find him interesting and handsome. It’s just a mild interest….”

“You’ve been brushing the same section of your mane for a few minutes, and you still have an entire day before the fact.”

Celestia glared at her sister, Luna trotting forward to give her a hug with a laugh.

“We tease, dear sister. I am quite happy for you, but I still worry about your health.”

“I’m fine, Lulu. The effects of the illness have completely waned.”

“Not what I was referring to.”

Celestia didn’t say anything for a few moments, a gentle smile sliding onto her face, much to Luna’s surprise.
“Funny enough, I mentioned that to Nacreous. He was extremely open and honest about that. I don’t want my lack of having another close friend for a millennium to override any other social developments. He had similar concerns for himself, as a matter of fact.”

Luna stared, head shaking in surprise at her sister’s words.
“I…didn’t expect that. You two are much more blunt than I ever could be,” she murmured. “But if that’s the case, he sounds like quite an interesting individual indeed, and extremely understanding. You two are taking quite a mature approach to all this.”

Celestia let out a soft chuckle, straightening a few feathers on her wings.
“I think we’ve both earned the title of being mature after a thousand years.”

“Uh huh...”

“Hey! I see that look! And I mean in terms of dealing honestly!” Celestia then winced, clopping her hooves together nervously. “Oh, I do hope he likes just having fun. That’d be horrible, finding out he’s just a stick-in-the-mud after all of this…”

“Sister.”

“I mean, Nacreous said he’d like to try ziplines and certainly seems well rounded. What if we’re not even good friends?”

“Celly….

“What does he even think of romantic gestures? I don’t-”

A hoof on her lips paused further argument, Luna letting out a soft laugh.
“You know, you could always just ask him. I never foresaw you having a long relationship with any creature who didn’t know how to have fun. Hmmm. I am rather curious as to what you look for in terms of romance; you’ve already figured out my ‘type’ as it were with Shifting.”

Celestia blushed, nodding as she glanced at the clock.
“The voice of reason as always, Lulu. And I suppose I have a bit of time to chat.”

Luna grinned, happily prancing in place before she settled down on a cushion.
“Oh, it has been too long since we’ve had a sisterly talk! You certainly were curious about Shifting, so now it’s myyyy turn!” the lunar princess gushed, propping her head up her forehooves.

“I mean I should have guessed, the past day or two you’ve been positively beaming whenever our Doctor comes up in conversation.”

Luna’s words didn’t help the flush on Celestia cheeks, the alicorn letting out a grumble as she sat down, waving a hoof at her sister.

“Has it been that obvious?”

“No, but I can tell. So, when did it start? He has only been here a week or two…”

Celestia sighed, the eager eyes of Luna boring into her.
“Start? I don’t know honestly. It was an idle curiosity at first, and then, I just don’t know,” she murmured. “I guess that hug really made me sure…”

“The what now?”

Luna cackled as Celestia stared at her hooves, pink slowly beginning to spread across her sister’s face.
“You didn’t tell me that, dear sister! ‘Twas a hug that set your heart afire?”

“Oh hush, Lulu,” Celestia grumbled, Luna enjoying the exchange far too much. “It was just yesterday, when we realized about having something in common.”

“Oh? What was that?”

“Not being strong enough to have a relationship with someone mortal.”

The cheerful mood evaporated, replaced by that of a slight soberness as Luna immediately became a bit more pensive.
“Strong enough? I’m not sure I fully understand, Sister.”

Celestia let out a soft sigh, gesturing to the younger alicorn.
“You’ve likely heard to some extent my past ‘relationships.’ What you don’t know is that they were, for all intents and purposes, just friends,” Celestia explained, head shaking back and forth.

“After I lost you, Luna, I was a wreck. Having just a friendly listening ear helped ground me, at least a bit. That’s where the rumors of having dozens of intimate consorts came from. If the nobles knew the truth, well, it wouldn’t matter in the end.”

“…Wait. You’ve never been seriously involved with somepony? Somecreature? In a thousand years?” Luna asked, staring at her sister in shock.

“After you left? No, I couldn’t. I knew what it felt like losing the o-onepony I cared most for. I couldn’t go through that again, when it was a certainty, especially when those feelings would be much d-deeper in a way.”

Luna trotted over to give her sister a hug, Celestia letting out a soft sniffle.

“And that is where Nacreous gave me a hug too.”

The Princess of the Night smiled, nodding thoughtfully as she settled back down at her sister’s side.
“And he understood?”

“Yes, in a way I don’t think anyone else could.”

Luna paused, a slight smile edging back onto her features.
“Well, for that I am glad, sister, that you have someone to relate to. But back to more positive matters; it was the hug that made you realize things for sure?”

The immediate, dopey grin on Celestia’s face lifted Luna’s spirits, the atmosphere returning to that of levity.

“I’ll take that as a yes!”

Celestia grumbled, pulling over a pillow to hide her face briefly.
“It’s more than just a hug!”

“Oooooh?”

Poking her head out, Celestia gestured to herself and Luna, wings rustling briefly.
“I don’t know. There’s just something about having someone as big as me that is attractive, and that’s putting it mildly. I can’t recall the last time someone could actually hold, well, me. And having someone else take the initiative? For so long I’ve been the one to start a conversation, an action. To have someone else lead in anything, including gestures like that…”

Luna listened, noticing that while there was a wistful levity to Celestia’s tone, there was an undercurrent of sincerity.

“After a millennium of literally looking down at every creature, to have someone at eye level, if not taller too? It just-it makes me feel less of a far-removed Princess, and more of just me, if that makes sense.”

A sly grin dawned on Luna’s features, the alicorn venturing a guess.
“It makes you feel like any other pony?”

“Exactly. I can’t really explain it. It’s almost like a physical representation of finding someone relatable I guess? I just….”

Celestia’s words trailed off, her hooves fidgeting with each other.

I think you should tell him that, if things turn into a full-on date,” Luna mused, prompting a sharp intake of breath.

“I…”

“I mean, that would certainly be a way to gauge his sensitivity? Is that an important thing for you? Shifting is sensitive in his own way, but more of just strong and understanding. You have always been the more playful one, if not the slight romantic. Are those important aspects?”

Celestia nodded, hooves continuing to fidget.
“Sensitive, very much so. And you only saw me reading that romance novel once!” she grumbled.

“I only saw you once. And not a few minutes ago you were starting to worry about if a certain hippogriff has a desire for romantic gestures.”

“Ok, fair enough. But playful perhaps? That encompasses just being fun-loving. If he’s a stick in the mud, that just wouldn’t work. I want to explore, to see the world, try things!” Celestia exclaimed, waving a hoof in the air. “If someone doesn’t see an appeal in that, well, that’s that. He has some combat experience, so being strong is another definite plus. But that’s rather stereotypical…”

“So? I though Shifting was stunning in his armor; nothing wrong with liking the idea of a strong companion. He might be slightly smaller than me, but a hug can feel safe nonetheless,” Luna mused, spotting a familiar blush returning to Celestia’s cheeks.

“Aaaaah. And that plays right into the ‘I don’t have to worry about squishing him’ aspect?”

“Mmhmm.”

Luna grinned, nudging her side against Celestia’s.

Well, I wish you best of luck in that aspect. I am just happy you have found a friend if nothing else. I still need to apologize to him for the dream incident; perhaps after your outing I’ll do that.”

“I think he’d appreciate that, Lulu.”

Luna glanced over her sister, ears perking up slightly.
“Hmm.”

“What?”

The younger alicorn gestured to Celestia’s mane; specifically a few bangs that swished in front of her sister’s violet eyes.
“Trying a new look?”

A slightly bashful expression was Celestia’s main response, a soft mumble of “Maybe…” accompanying it.

“Well, I think it’s not a bad style indeed! I still think Shifting wins overall though, especially in that disco outfit. Oh, that white cape and vest…”

“Careful, Lulu, you’re drooling.”

“I AM NOT!”


“I. Was. RIGHT!” Gaudi squealed, the excitable ethereal being hopping in place as Nacreous waved a set of claws at her, the pair conversing in a private side-room in the castle. The afternoon movie was set to begin shortly but Nacreous had a feeling a certain kirin would want an update beforehand. The previous day had passed by quickly, the Doctor aiding the various medical staff as usual and then combing his rough fur and feathers before then arriving near the palace cinema.

“I mean, isn’t this sort of affair your thing?” Nacreous teased, prompting a glare and a hoof stabbed accusingly at him.

“Hey! That’s my line!”

“But yes, you were right. I suppose all we can do is see where things go. It’s nice to have honest dealings with somecreature, none of the dancing-around stuff from when younger.”

“Uh huuuuuuuh.”

“…ok there’s still a bit of that; but there is more blunt honesty. We’re just seeing this movie, find the other interesting in multiple aspects, and that’s it, both on the same page.”

“Aaaaand we all are rooting for you!” Gaudi replied, her form fading into just her bright eyes that sparkled at the hippogriff.

“Oh! Someone is coming. Talk to you later!”

Glancing at a clock in the room, Nacreous ducked out into the hallway, nearly running headfirst into a familiar alabaster Alicorn.

“Celestia! I was….” Nacreous paused, an honest shrug matching the smile on his features. “Well, best be blunt in this case; I was just talking with Gaudi. She seems to find our interactions highly amusing.”

Celestia blinked, eyes seeming to sparkle a bit more at his genuine words.
“She sounds interesting, at least from what Luna told me. Perhaps I’ll get to meet her someday.”

“I think all of my friends are considering that, honestly. But in the meantime, shall we?” Nacreous asked, gesturing down the hall. It was only now he noticed Celestia’s fur seemed to shine a bit more than normal, yet maintained a bit of casual puffiness. Her entire demeanor seemed to have the sense of regality, yet was somehow more relaxed. A few bangs drifted across her face, mane not billowing fully out behind her as usual, instead lying somewhat subdued across her neck, but still maintaining a bit of ethereal wave.

Nacreous felt his beak automatically turning up in a slight smile, his fur and feathers prickling ever so slightly.
She just seems more relaxed, a bit more happiness in those eyes…

Clearly, the alicorn noticed his gaze lingering, as a slight blush rose to her cheeks. Nacreous’s eyes met her own; the hippogriff then gesturing down the hallway as he respectfully directed his view away. It was a strange social conundrum; many a lady seemed to enjoy being noticed, yet there was a fine line between a brief, respectful glance and simply gawking like a starstruck colt. To act like such a thing didn’t happen simply avoided the issue.

She had seen his gaze; and he wasn’t about to deny being a bit awestruck. If she asked at least.

At least, that’s how my reasoning works. Claws crossed…

“Shall we?” he asked, the pair trotting down the halls towards the palace theatre. As predicted, there weren’t any other ponies viewing the film, to which wasn’t terribly surprising. It had been out for some time, and the number of individuals with access to the palace recreational areas was limited.

Not complaining.

Sitting down in a few specially designed seats for larger creatures, Nacreous glanced around at the simple theatre. With walls of stone and dark violet curtains hanging along the walls, the rectangular room was a simple if not slightly cozy affair, lit by soft crystal lights to the side of the projector screen.

“So, do you know much about this one?” Celestia asked, a large bucket of popcorn popping into existence at her side.

“Only the basics, and that it was very well done. I haven’t heard more than a note or two from the songs either,” Nacreous admitted, prompting a rather adorable clopping of hooves from Celestia in excitement.

“Oh! Then you get a near-fresh experience! I do hope you like it!” she exclaimed as the crystal projector began to hum behind them.

Nacreous was about to speak, but instead closed his beak as the film began to play.


Celestia happily (and quietly,) munched on her popcorn as the musical played. The live showing was a different experience, but that just wasn’t possible here.

As a song began to play, however, she noticed a change come over the hippogriff that sat at her side. His ears perked up, and Nacreous’s blue eyes locked onto the screen, widening slightly.

‘I think of what the world could be, a vision of the one I see…’

The doctor’s beak moved ever so slightly, mouthing a few of the lyrics as he stared.

Nacreous? What is it…?

His odd behavior faded until a few of the other songs began to play, his beak moving in time with the lyrics once again.

‘This is me…’

Yet Celestia held her tongue. Of the reactions she had expected, this wasn’t one of them by far.

‘And we know we can’t go back again to the world we were livin in, because we’re dreaming with our eyes wide open…

It was during one of the final songs that the most abrupt shift in Nacreous hit. As it began, the hippogriff’s claws began to tap in time- and then froze.

‘And let this promise in me start, like an anthem in my heart. From now on…

Tears began to stream from Nacreous’s blue eyes, his gaze locked onto the singers as the music swam around the room, the chorus being belted out with as much vigor and gusto that only ponies could muster.

‘And we will come back home. Home again!’

Celestia mused over saying something but a brief movement caught her eye. It was only a flicker- but she could have sworn a vaguely kirin-like figure had appeared in the isle briefly…

A Kirin; Luna said that’s the one called Gaudi? What is going on? This means something…

As the song reached its peak, Nacreous’s sides began to shake, and Celestia had to exercise every ounce of self-control to not give the sobbing hippogriff a hug. And yet it didn’t seem to be sadness which afflicted him, but something else as his beak continued to move.

‘From now on. What’s waited till tomorrow starts tonight…and let this promise in me star, like an anthem in my heart. From now on….’

‘Home again…’

The rest of the film concluded without much incident, Nacreous casually swiping away the tears by the end.

“So, what did you think?” Celestia asked in an even tone, not wanting to bring up his emotional moments first.

“I loved it, to say the least.” Nacreous replied with a smile, standing up and stretching. “It gave me quite a bit to think about as well.”

“Oh?”

Nacreous nodded, opening his beak to speak before his head shook back and forth.
“Things that are close to the chest. Much of this I do hope to share someday, Celestia.” he admitted, eliciting a knowing smile from the alicorn.

“I understand; I’m just glad you enjoyed it.”

A soft chime interrupted them, Nacreous frowning as his gauntlet appeared from behind a concealment spell at about the same time a parchment popped into existence in front of Celestia.

“That’s odd. I told the medical staff to contact me only if was an emergency for a few hours. What’s going on?” Nacreous muttered, a sharp intake of breath making his heart drop.

“I’d say it’s an emergency, Nacreous. There has been an explosion at the mana processing plant,” Celestia muttered.

“…That’s the place on the outskirts of the city, right? Refines leyline magic into mana crystals? Isn’t it a rather experimental process?” the hippogriff asked, already opening his own personal portal to retrieve some familiar large saddlebags.

“Experimental, and highly unstable,” Celestia replied, letting out a huff as they both trotted out of the theatre. “Not exactly how I intended this to go.”

“But at least we saw the movie, and we have plenty of time in the future,” Nacreous quipped, pausing at the hallway junction.

“I’ll see you later, Celestia,” the hippogriff said, then pausing as a slightly sheepish smile flickered across his beak. “By the way, I love your new look.”

Celestia new look 1 and Celestia new look 2 (Or see Cover art.)

And then he was off, Celestia staring as a bright blush returned to her cheeks along with a rather familiar warm glow in her chest.


“Over here! Yes, set up the triage area over there!” Commander Shifting Sands barked, he and his elite Lunar Knights directing the various ponies that scuttled about the disaster site. The large concrete building in the distance was still smoking, dozens of ponies now being dragged, carried, or levitated over to the impromptu location. With many essential ponies sick or recovering, the guard was down to a skeleton crew; and it was all Shifting and his squad could do to stabilize the many victims. Whatever the explosion had been it had blown a hole in between two of the large rectangular buildings and a strange hum was still heard in the distance past the torn metal fences and rocky ground.

“Commander!”

Nacreous trotted up, eyes narrowing at surveying the scene, the evening light clashing abruptly with the emergency lanterns hung on metal poles.

“Where are the victims being located, and how can I help?” he asked, Shifting motioning with a hoof.

“Back in that direction, that’s triage and treatment. We’ve got other medics on their way, but we’re dealing with over thirty casualties. Some sort of explosion in the processing and distribution center. It looks like mostly burns and broken bones!”

“Do you have a spare communicator?”

Nacreous caught the tossed crystal device, plugging it into his ear as the hippogriff trotted over to the triage area, setting down his massive saddlebags. Three shaken ponies looked at him in shock, each wearing medical masks but obviously overwhelmed.

“My name is Doctor Nacreous, is anyone in charge?” he asked calmly, the three ponies shaking their heads.

“We’ve just been trying to stabilize a few ponies; we just got here,” a mare replied.

“Alright, do you mind if I lead?” Nacreous asked, and then, seeing no objections, continued. “Ok, do you all have much experience?” he asked calmly, two nodding, the other shaking their head.

“I-I’ve just got basic medical training. CPR and first aid,” the blue stallion whispered; the other two then piping up.

“We’re part of the emergency remote rescue team! Me and my sister have been doing it for years, everything up to surgery,” a yellow mare added, her teal sister nodding in agreement.

“Ok. What are your names?”

“C-cobalt Flask,” the stallion stammered.

“Splint and Suture Pine!” the sisters piped, up, Nacreous nodding and then focusing on the shaking stallion.

“Alright, Cobalt? I need you to listen to me, alright?” Nacreous instructed. “I need you to separate the victims. Have the ones who can walk wait off to the side and help each other, and then let me know how many there are, and then how many can’t move. Can you do that for me?”

The stallion nodded, trotting over to the group of semi-prone ponies behind them.
Good, give the one who is shaken a simple task. Hopefully he can do that and get his mind straight.

“Alright. Let’s get started. You’ve triaged at least a few of them?”

“Yes. Nopony is dead, yet. But we’ve got a few unconscious,” Splint replied, trotting over to a few individuals on the ground.

“Let’s get started. Most life-threatening injuries first- but if we get any more, we may have to triage past that and focus on the alert ones,” Nacreous instructed.

“Got it!”

As they worked, more victims began to pile up, pulled there by the Lunar Knights. These ponies had more severe burns than the others; the majority of the previous group having been in shock more than actually injured. An official medical team showed up, erecting a few simple tents as the now-dozen ponies began to treat the victims as best they could. Nacreous did quite a bit of heavy lifting; able to carry a prone pony fast and about as stable as a team could with a modified backboard in his claws.

Less than thirty minutes in however, an out-of-breath pony stopped at the medical tent, waving a hoof to Commander Shifting who was checking in on the casualties.

“We’ve…we’ve got to leave!” he gasped, light-brown fur coated in debris as the tattered remnants of a lab coat fell from his frame.

“Cascading failure! Overloading! Need to evacuate!”

“Slow down, what are you talking about?” Shifting asked, prompting the scientist to gesture to the building, and the source of the increasingly-loud hum.

“No, no time! That hum! It’ll blast right through the walls and into the city!”

“What will?!”

“The leyline energy!”

Shifting’s eyes narrowed, pulling the pony aside and out of earshot of the majority of the group.
“Tell me, quickly.”

The pony gestured back to the building, head shaking back and forth.
“It must be sabotage- no other way the safety systems failed! It’s a perfect chain of events. The system will shut off on its own but not in time! That wall over there? It’s right next to a compromised safety valve on the leyline capacitor!”

“…which means?”

The pony let out a frustrated grunt, pushing a few stones on the ground as a crude diagram.
“Ok. We take in the leyline energy here.” he explained, nudging a rock. “It is then sent to here, for refinement and to be contained in mana crystals. The explosion happened in-between that; on the conduit holding the energy! But there’s more, I saw….” his voice dropped to a whisper. “I saw some ponies there, holding some packages. Wires and stuff! There was a weird, ghost-like mare with them. She matched the description of that cultist. Look, that valve is going to give and when it does, unrefined energy is going to blast out of that wall and across the entire city!”

Shifting stared at the pony, following his outstretched hoof at the offending wall. Following the path, the Commander’s eyes widened as he saw something glint in an alleyway in the distance.

“Squad Leader Stone! Check out that alleyway!” he barked, looking at the still-frazzled scientist. “So, we need to evacuate?”

“Yes! Now! Everypony here! And then everyone in the line of fire!”

“…that’s half of Canterlot!”

The scientist nodded frantically, his hind limbs collapsing with shock.

As Shifting barked orders into his communicator, his blood chilled as Silty Stone’s voice butted in.

“Commander! In the alleyway. It’s some sort of crystal! It’s almost like a mirror on some points; the reflective edge angled to the north-north west!”

Shifting looked over, drawing an imaginary line from the alleyway-and straight towards the royal castle.
“EVERYPONY! MOVE!”

As Shifting’s order belted out, Nacreous shook his head, the Commander dashing inside the tent.

“Doctor, we need to leave now. We’re all in danger- this facility is going to rupture!”

“We can’t!” Nacreous hissed, his claws covered in blood as he pressed on a pony’s forelimb. “I’ve got a dozen ponies here that are on ventilators and ten with severe burns! Another five who are in and out of consciousness, and four with only arterial clamps preventing them from bleeding out! If we move them, they will probably die.”

“If we stay here, we all die!” Shifting hissed, drawing closer and casting a silencing field. “Doctor, this was sabotage; the individuals are still about. The facility’s energy is going to be released and hit a reflecting crystal. It’s aimed towards the palace and I don’t know if I can evacuate it in time, nor if shields will hold!”

As the silencing field vanished, Nacreous’s eyes narrowed, looking over to another surgeon.
“Here! I need you to clamp this!” he called out, a pony taking his place, then turning to Shifting. “What are you talking about?”

Leading the hippogriff outside, Shifting gestured to the distant wall, of which cracks were beginning to show, bursting with pure white light.

“It’s a directed attack. That facility is going to unleash a blast of unrefined energy this way. We just found a reflecting crystal in the alleyway behind us. If the two ponies I heard from are right, the cultists we’re dealing with are the source.”

Nacreous nodded, frowning as he looked back towards the medical tent.
“We can’t move them. And unrefined energy? And from a facility this size? There’s no way a shield can repel that, not even from an alicorn. Raw leyline energy is brutally effective against magical shields.”

“I know. That’s why we need to get moving.”

Nacreous shook his head stubbornly.
“If we move them, they die.”

“If we don’t, we all do! I can hold off the energy for a bit with my own spells, but that’s it! I don’t know if the Castle will be evacuated in time, let alone the houses!” Shifting hissed, trotting off towards the damaged wall.

“Get everyone out of here! And destroy that crystal!”

“We can’t, sir! I nearly got tossed through a wall when I tried to hit it!”

The Commander let out a growl, sending runes skittering out from under his hooves, activating his own shielding spells. Leyline energy poured into his frame, the unicorn’s horn igniting to send stacks of tan shields blooming out in front of him.

“Move it, Doctor! Get them out of here!”

Nacreous stood, looking at the distant commander and the ponies struggling to hobble out of harm’s way.
There’s no time.

A set of claws ran over the gauntlet encasing his left forelimb, depressing a small blue gem, Fori’s voice immediately sounding in Nacreous’s mind.

‘Nacreous! You asked for a warning before doing this!’

The hippogriff nodded, trotting to stand behind Shifting, halfway between him and the medical tent.

“I did. But I know what I’m doing, Fori. Ponies will die if I don’t.”

‘You cannot take this back, Nacreous! Everyone here will remember this time, and they might see this!”

A determined smile blossomed on Nacreous’s beak, the hippogriff pushing the gem in to the fullest.

“I think it’s time I stopped hiding; as did everyone else, if that’s their choice. I can think of no better way to return to the history books. Besides…” the grin on Nacreous’s beak grew a bit wider, a certain lyric springing to mind. “This is me.”

‘Do you want to walk that path once again?’

“That’s what you don’t get, Fori.” he whispered, watching as the distant wall began to crack, beams of light piercing the thick concrete.

“I never left the path.”

The hippogriff’s eyes widened, seeing a distant figure trot to stand next to the wall. A magical blast from Shifting was easily blocked by the ethereal mare, fangs showing in a satisfied sneer as the wall continued to buckle. A series of razor-sharp icicles began to form, taking aim at the lone stallion.

You!

Pink and blue sparks ignited along the hippogriff’s forelimbs, the concealing spell dropping as Nacreous yanked out his long dagger. Twisting his massive bulk, the hippogriff sent the weapon zipping through the air.

“Hey!” he bellowed, prompting the mare to shift her attention, just in time for the weapon to slam into her side and pinning the creature to the concrete wall with a shriek.

The cultists, the extremists, and her; they are one and the same! Malise, what horrible deal did you strike to still be living after all this time?
Celestia, you should have told me!

At that thought, the hippogriff’s eyes dropped, head shaking back and forth.
Yes, you should have told me; and I should have likewise told you the whole truth.

The wall buckled; pieces of concrete flying outwards with enough force to send Shifting skidding backwards as they impacted the series of shields. A brilliant white light burst from the breach; as large as the throne room doors as it seared everything that stood in its path. The shields began to crack, the previous hum now giving way to a roar as though the light was a waterfall pouring from an ocean.

“Run, Nacreous!” Shifting called out, a teleportation spell already forming to yank him to safety.

The pink and blue magic around Nacreous’s frame ignited fully, bolts of energy crackling around his body.
“Stand aside, Commander!”

As the hippogriff’s words rang out, a flurry of leaves blew across the rocky expanse. Each leaf however, twisted and seemed to defy reality as it grew in size and shape. The fast-moving objects warped to become thick pieces of golden metal that slammed onto the hippogriff’s large body.

Shifting’s shields continued to crack; the magic being burned away by the raw power pouring from the factory’s breach.
The stallion’s eyes widened in amazement just before he vanished; shields giving way with the crashing sound of shattering glass. The ethereal mare still struggled, the long dagger starting to wiggle free.

A larger leaf soared forth, growing and widening with a flurry of movement. With a dull *thud*, a massive golden shield slammed onto Nacreous’s outstretched forearm. As wide as a pony and twice as tall, the piece of golden armor shone like a second sun in the cacophony of lights. Numerous gems sparkled on the shield’s surface, a strange black metal peeking out from underneath the gold overlay.

Nacreous braced himself, leaning into the shield as the burst of leyline magic struck. Rather than melt the golden armor, the energy crackled against the shield harmlessly, flying off into a thousand different directions as harmless sparks.

The force still forced the hippogriff back, horseshoes shattering rock and concrete as Nacreous skidded. With a grunt, the hippogriff stopped; the energy’s initial force spent.

Shifting’s eyes widened in amazement; the unicorn having teleported off to the side with the rest of his squad.

Blue and pink sparks continued to swirl around the Doctor, golden pieces of armor constantly streaming in to cement themselves against his body. Bunched up muscle was covered by golden gauntlets and bracers, and a breastplate weaved itself around his barrel. Dented and scarred, the golden metal was nonetheless an imposing sight; thrice as thick as any horseshoe, yet the hippogriff didn’t seem to even notice the weight.

A helmet clamped itself around Nacreous’s head, scaled armor continuing to cover his neck and sides, bright gold metal shining in the cacophony of different light sources.

“Is that all?” he called out, an almost eager grin edging onto his beak. The hippogriff’s gaze then drifted to the ethereal mare as she wrenched herself free, eyes wide as her fanged mouth hung half open in utter shock.

“Remember me, Witch?” Nacreous roared, magic continuing to flow across his body. More leaves flowed towards the hippogriff, forming a large staff in his free claws. Cast from a brilliant gold metal that matched the rest of the armor, the staff was capped by a large pink crystal, a few angular points making the object appear almost spear-like.

Large pauldrons now attached themselves onto the hippogriff’s shoulders, ancient runes humming with power as numerous ancient inscriptions igniting with an almost eager flash. The gems in the shield now began to hum, and Nacreous laughed; a carefree sound that carried out over the roar of the breach.

“Well, would you look at that!”

Lines of energy began to glow within the shield, tracing back around to run up Nacreous’s armor like a river as the blast’s energy was absorbed. Traveling to the staff the absorbed energy began to pour into the pink gem, the hippogriff slamming the weapon into the solid ground.

As a shield began to pour from the top of the staff, two prone individuals stared in wonder. One was a crystal pony, his eyes locked onto the ancient runes that were inscribed on the hippogriff’s shoulder armor. The other, a changeling, couldn’t help but smile widely as though seeing something everypony else was blind to.

The ethereal mare appeared to be frozen with fear, her eyes wide with horror as she tried to backpedal against the solid wall.

The flow of energy increased; but the shield emanating from the staff cut through the outpouring of magic without fail. The lines of magic continued to hum across the fully-armored hippogriff, Nacreous grinning as he held the flow at bay, eyes flickering to the stunned emissary with a smug chuckle.

‘You’re back!’

Gaudi’s voice echoed in Nacreous’s mind; the hippogriff not able to do anything but smile as his muscles tensed against the magical onslaught.

“I never left, Gaudi!”

The mental cheers only pushed the hippogriff onwards, his hooves shattering stone as he took a few steps forwards.
The surge of energy abruptly ended as the safety measures finally kicked into gear, the ground hissing and steaming as molten stone popped and bubbled in the absence of the magical flow. Without missing a beat Nacreous stood and pirouetted, sending the staff hurling towards the wall.

With a spine-tingling scream, the Emissary was once again impaled against the stone. Rose-colored sparks surged from the staff and the submerged gem, spinning around the mare and seeming to eat away her entire being. The magical attack tore apart her magical figure, pink sparks burning away at the Emissary’s core.

As she vanished with a final gasp, Nacreous held out his claws, the staff returning to his grasp as a recall spell activated. Cracking his neck, the hippogriff was all smiles as he surveyed the scene; the injured ponies behind him safe and sound.

Armor still glowing, Nacreous took a few deep breaths, looking over his metal-shod claws fondly for a few moments. With the tapping of a few gems in his golden gauntlets, the Doctor sent the armor spinning away once again; the pieces of metal swirling and shrinking into leaves that vanished into the distance, blown along by an unseen wind.

With a simple nod to the stunned Commander, Nacreous then trotted back towards the medical tent.

“You’ll get your report, Commander! Let me help these ponies first!” he called out, Shifting only able to stare.

“…who is this guy?” Silty Stone whispered, prompting a shake of the Commander’s head.

“I really don’t know.”


Celestia trotted down the corridors of the field hospital, erected in some spare buildings near the royal guard barracks. Between the reports of the sabotage with the Windigo Emissary, and the sudden event with Nacreous, her mind was spinning.

Another one of your secrets, Nacreous? How many of those do you have?

“In here, Princess,” a guard gestured, leading Celestia into a small tent where two patients lay, their limbs and barrel bandaged. A protective spell was keeping her isolated from them of course; but these two had explicitly requested her presence.

Apparently, it had to do with Nacreous.

“Princess! We’d bow, but…y’know,” the changeling quipped, teal and purple chitin bruised and broken in various places.

“Please, none of that. Now, I heard you had something to tell me about our Doctor friend?”

The Changeling nodded, seeing the crystal pony nod in the cod adjacent to him.
“Well, for me, it was the oddest thing,” he explained. “When the Doctor was there, and used that pink gem we described- we did tell the guards that, right?” the changeling asked his stallion friend.

“Yes, Conifer, we did,” the pony chuckled.

“Anyhow, when that happened, it was the oddest thing. First off, the cult mare? The one in the ‘wanted’ posters? She looked downright scared of the Doctor. When he used that crystal though? It felt like I was standing next to the Crystal Heart; just a burst of…well, good feeling energy. It was so odd, Inkblot here can tell you the same.”

The stallion nodded, waving to Celestia with a bandaged hoof.
“My friend is right. It was similar to the Crystal Heart energy, but very different at the same time. What I wanted to tell you was what I read though.”

“Hmm?” Celestia asked, the crystal pony actually smiling at her.

“His armor, Princess. I could read the runes on it. Conifer and I are history buffs; we were in the tour at the factory, since leyline magic is rather old and fascinating. But regardless, I saw two runes specifically that were interesting. It was an old, old language, Princess, and far removed. If I remember right it’s from the far east, across the ocean.”

“What did it say?” Celestia asked, excitement injecting itself into her veins.

“The first rune was a designation, at least I think it was. It said ‘Of the North,’” Inkblot replied. “The second rune was…I’m not sure if I read it right, because it just wasn’t used very often.”

Celestia waited, the crystal pony’s brow furrowing.

“Princess, the rune that I saw read ‘Paladin.’”

Author's Note:

Another layer of our mysterious Hippogriff peeled away...but this raises more questions than it answers :trixieshiftright: As always, feedback greatly appreciated!

I have to say, writing the Luna/Celestia exchange was rather fun. We need more sister moments!