• Published 24th Apr 2019
  • 146 Views, 1 Comments

Auriga - Knoster



A pony fights to free her home from the claws of Griffonstone.

  • ...
 1
 146

9. Nostos

Auriga recognized the place they appeared. It was a very familiar place: the dark and empty cellar of the Meridian House.

“Nice going!” she said.

“Why did you bring me?” Jacquerie asked, holding out his claws.

“Insurance,” said Auriga, poking the griffon’s chest.

“Damn, I blew out my magic casting that spell.” Scrimshaw looked like she had a splitting headache as she rubbed her horn.

“For how long?” asked Auriga.

“I’m not sure; could be days or weeks,” replied Scrimshaw. “In any case, we have to hurry.”

They exited the cellar and made their way towards the foyer when they heard the telltale sound of Meridian’s voice. They followed it to its source to find Meridian sitting in a lounge talking with Silent Eye. When she saw Auriga, Silent Eye bolted upright and ran to her.

“You have returned! It’s true!” She bowed.

“Indeed, and you’ve come at an opportune time,” said Meridian. “Kampilan’s grip on the city is far from solidified, and the Sword is ready to rise up on our signal. The only problem is capturing the stallion himself.” Meridian scratched his chin.

“We can handle that. Do you know where he is?” asked Scrimshaw.

“City Hall,” replied Meridian, “one of our agents guards the roof entrance. He can let you in.”

“Mr. Meridian, do you have a gadget or something to help us out? I have a feeling we’ll need it,” said Auriga, looking at Scrimshaw.

“Yes, actually!” Meridian rummaged through a pile of junk and pulled out a small black ring. “It’s a magic suppressor. Just slip it on the base of a unicorn’s horn and press the button to instantly negate their ability to use magic of any kind!”

“Well isn’t that funny,” chuckled Scrimshaw.

“Excellent,” said Auriga, taking the suppressor. “Send the signal in one hour. By that time we will have apprehended Kampilan. Open the gates of the city and unite with the peasants. Kampilan won’t know what hit him.”

***

They snuck their way to Irkalla City Hall under the cover of darkness. When they reached the building, Jacquerie flew the two ponies onto the roof. The Sword agent recognized Auriga and beckoned them over.

“Where is Kampilan?” asked Auriga.

“He is alone in the Assembly chamber, but I do not know for how much longer.” said the guard. “You must hurry!”

They slipped inside City Hall as Auriga took out the magic suppressor.

“How are we going to get this on him?” she asked, looking at Scrimshaw and Jacquerie.

“Normally I would be able to use my magic, but...” Scrimshaw tried and failed to levitate the suppressor.

“And I don’t think I’ll be able to sneak up on him.” Auriga frowned.

“Leave it to me.” Jacquerie took the suppressor in the claws and twirled it around dexterously. “You two just distract him, and I’ll take care of the rest.”

They silently made their way to the Assembly chamber and saw Kampilan standing at the center, looking up at the rotunda’s skylight. Jacquerie snuck away from Auriga and Scrimshaw.

The two ponies walked up to Kampilan to get his attention. He bolted upright and turned to face them.

“Wha- What are you doing here?” Kampilan demanded as his magic enveloped them.

“We have an important message for you.” said Auriga.

“And what is that?” asked Kampilan as he brought the two ponies closer.

“You know the last governor?” asked Auriga.

Kampilan nodded. Auriga laughed dryly.

“That’s good, cause you’re gonna be roommates real soon.”

Kampilan narrowed his eyes in confusion, but didn’t have time to respond before Jacquerie swooped down upon him. The griffon deftly maneuvered the magic suppressor onto Kampilan’s horn and activated the device.

Auriga and Scrimshaw fell to the ground in time to see Kampilan buck Jacquerie off his back with brutal force. The two ponies rushed to attack Kampilan. Scrimshaw slid low to his left as Auriga lept up at him head-on.

Kampilan swung a strong hoof that landed squarely on Auriga’s jaw, sending her reeling. He advanced for a follow-up, but yelped when Scrimshaw stabbed her horn into his side.

Auriga tasted blood as she wound up to deliver Kampilan a powerful buck. His turn in response to Scrimshaw put him in the perfect position. Her hooves flew true and Kampilan was hit with a knockout blow. He spun around woozily, then fell backwards.

Auriga looked over to Jacquerie. He was still collapsed on the ground. She trotted over to him and reached out a hoof to help the griffon up. Jacquerie took it and coughed as he slowly rose.

“I have a good feeling about tonight.” Auriga said.

***

Nimbus Gust, the newly-restored Director of Ganzir’s Provisional Government, sat across from Auriga. Morning light filtered through a window into the director’s office.

“The Assembly will ratify your agreement with the peasant councils posthaste. A masterwork of diplomacy if I do say so myself,” said Nimbus. “Unfortunately, the draft of our new constitution was destroyed during Kampilan’s coup.”

“You’ll have to make a new one, but without me this time,” said Auriga. “I am honored by the faith you placed in me, but I’m not cut out to be your advisor. You’re a good director, so my parting advice is: trust yourself.” Nimbus’ mouth hung open as Auriga left her office.

Scrimshaw waited for her outside City Hall. Auriga walked out to a bright new day. She looked at the mare next to her. The mare she loved.

And smiled.

Comments ( 1 )

An interesting read, worthy of a thumbs up. My one true complaint is that it seemed very short and fast paced, I would have liked it to be more flushed out. Not a lot of diving into the characters or places, details like that would have been pleasant. All of it aside though this story is a good one, and a rare one concerning the time period it is set.

Login or register to comment