• Published 24th Apr 2019
  • 146 Views, 1 Comments

Auriga - Knoster



A pony fights to free her home from the claws of Griffonstone.

  • ...
 1
 146

8. Eclipse

Scrimshaw entered her room at the inn to find Auriga lying face-down on her bed.

“Auri! What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be preparing?” she asked. Auriga remained motionless, giving no response. Scrimshaw reached out a hoof and shook her.

“It doesn’t matter. I’ve failed. Ganzir is lost,” said Auriga, in a voice quieter than Scrimshaw had ever heard her speak. Scrimshaw couldn’t believe it, she had to see her face. She flipped Auriga over and was shocked by what she saw.

Auriga’s eyes were dead. Before they had burned with passion, but now they looked like dried blood.

“You’re not going to fight?” Scrimshaw was dumbfounded. “You were the one who taught me some things are always worth fighting for!”

“I’m sorry.” Auriga’s voice was cold. “Give up, it’s over.” She turned away from Scrimshaw.

“You’re the one pony I thought I’d never see give up!” Scrimshaw stomped her hoof, anger building up inside her. “We can convince the peasants to help us! What about reaching an agreement with Jacquerie?”

“OK. Y-Y-You go talk to him,” said Auriga unsteadily. Scrimshaw rolled her eyes and pulled Auriga upright to face her.

“No, Auri. YOU have to do this.” The weak mare in front of her wasn’t Auri. Scrimshaw wanted to smack her.

“But...” Auriga’s voice cracked. Tears welled up in her eyes. “I-I can’t,” she whispered.

Scrimshaw took Auriga’s head into her hooves, looked into her eyes, and kissed her.

Auriga’s eyes bulged open, before she closed them and ran a hoof through Scrimshaw’s mane. She tugged, and they both went tumbling into the bed.

***

Jacquerie sat in his chairgriff’s desk, snickering across from Auriga.

“So you’re here to, ah,” Jacquerie gave another suppressed laugh, “negotiate?”

Auriga nodded, stone-faced.

“I’m sorry, but given… recent events, I don’t think you’re in a position to demand anything.” he said, smiling.

“On the contrary, I’d much rather be in my horseshoes than yours,” she said calmly.

“And why is that?” he humored her.

“Considering Irkalla is currently in the claws of a Borean confessional state, it doesn’t sound like a place that would have any problems accepting a little help from Griffonstone.” Auriga waved her hoof whimsically. “Maybe accepting an army of knights to help clear the countryside of some rebellious peasants.” Jacquerie’s eyes went wide. “I sure wouldn’t want to be one of those peasant leaders.” Auriga smirked.

“But you are in luck!” Auriga leaned forward. “I have a number of associates in Irkalla who would be happy to help kick out those traitors, they’ll just need a little help. So I ask you: is there any reason why we can’t reach a compromise?”

Jacquerie sighed and slumped forward.

***

With the support of Jacquerie, the Grand Council of Peasants voted overwhelmingly to unify with the Provisional Government and aid in its restoration. The call went out for every town and village to rally their militia for a march on Irkalla.

In a few short days, the peasant’s army was assembled, and Auriga stood outside the city with Scrimshaw and Jacquerie. It looked impregnable, with the fortress at its center and tall outer walls.

“Any ideas how we get inside?” she asked. Jacquerie shrugged.

“I’ve got one,” Scrimshaw replied. Her ornate horn glowed, and a runic circle appeared beneath the three of them. The symbols pulsed with arcane energy, and with a flash they vanished along with everything else.