• Published 24th Apr 2019
  • 145 Views, 1 Comments

Auriga - Knoster



A pony fights to free her home from the claws of Griffonstone.

  • ...
 1
 145

4. Shatter the Claw

The news hit Auriga like a thunderbolt from a clear sky.

“The Idol of Boreas is lost! King Guto has been slain!”

It was said to be the work of a great beast sent as punishment from the gods, but that didn’t matter to her. What had seemed impossible a few short days ago was now within reach. Griffonstone was in chaos.

The atmosphere in Irkalla was surreal, filled with uncertain whispers about the future. Auriga had no uncertainty; she knew now was the time to strike. The Sword agreed, and its chapters all across Irkalla met to plan their move.

***

Auriga stood next to Scrimshaw in the cellar of the Meridian House with the rest of their chapter. They were gathered around Silent Eye as she outlined the grand plan. There would be three groups, striking three simultaneous targets in Irkalla: the governor’s mansion, City Hall, and the fortress of Dur-Irkalla. Each chapter of the Sword would contribute ponies to each group.

Silent Eye gave everypony their assignments. Auriga was to storm the fortress. Scrimshaw, the governor’s mansion.

“Hey, um...” Scrimshaw said, “stay safe out there, OK?”

“I’ll try,” Auriga replied.

In a few hours the plan would go into motion, but the other members of the Sword were quiet. Auriga sensed fear and apprehension in the cellar.

Don’t they know what we’re fighting for?

Auriga raised her hoof, calling their attention. She walked in front of the Sword’s banner.

“For a long time I didn’t know the meaning of my cutie mark. But I do now, thanks to all of you.” She looked to each of the Sword members. “Ganzir is sick and dying, choked by Griffonstone. As Princess Dawn once slew the dragon Raz’Aquel, it is our duty now to throw off the yoke of their Empire. We will lead Ganzir into a new day, for we are the Sword of Dawn!” All the ponies in the cellar stomped and cheered.

It’s time.

***

Auriga could see the fortress from outside the Meridian House. Built atop a hill at the center of Irkalla, Dur-Irkalla overlooked the entire city and housed the its largest armory. With control of the fortress and City Hall, their hold on Irkalla would be ironclad.

The ponies of the Sword had gathered at sunset, armed and ready to take the fortress. Silent Eye took a position next to Auriga and called for the march to begin. As they moved towards the fortress, ponies looked from their houses and rushed out to join them. Artisans, painters, and polymaths all joined the march, some not even armed.

The streets sloped upwards as they approached Dur-Irkalla. The walls of the fortress grew impossibly tall in response to their proximity.

“How do we get past the walls?” asked Auriga.

“We have a mare on the inside.” Silent Eye gave a small smile.

Nimbus Gust, head of the City Guard, flew up from the ramparts and surveyed the mass of ponies. The pegasus turned around to address the Guard.

“Open the gates!” cried Nimbus, tearing the patch of the Idol off her uniform. The Guardsponies obeyed without hesitation and the huge gates of the fortress flung open.

“Well, at least one,” continued Silent Eye, “many ponies in the City Guard are sympathetic to our cause. It just so happens their commander is as well.”

They entered the fortress to see a scene of jubilation. Guardsponies ripped off and stomped their Idol patches to rapturous cheers.

A pegasus courier swooped in from the sky, landing in front of Silent Eye.

“The governor’s mansion and City Hall were secured without a fight. Governor Auwers has been taken into custody,” said the exhausted pegasus.

“Excellent!” said Silent Eye. “We’ve done it!” She slapped Auriga on the back.

We’ve… done it?