• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 3,267 Views, 91 Comments

The Black Cello Mafia - WolfOblivion



Octavia loses work in pubs due to prohibition of alcohol, joins Mafia.

  • ...
6
 91
 3,267

Chapter 2: The Fine Noise

The Black Cello Mafia
Chapter 2: The Fine Noise

Octavia blinked against the scorching light in her face. Taken from the hospital after the conversation, the commissioner (which she found out his name was Red Dawn) and detective Twilight Sparkle shoved her into a small room that had three chairs, ceiling light and fan, and a small window. Octavia could easily tell it was a two way, just so they could be looking at her as she sat there. She shivered slightly, now having to be without her suit for the time being.

In the position she was now in, Octavia let her eyes burn slowly against the ceiling light, at this point being indefinite about her capture. Sure, it was something like a monkey wrench in her plans, but nothing all too serious. She jolted from the seat as the door slammed, Lt. Sparkle walking from it. She had an expression of determination and a little anger as she stared down the emotionally dulcet Octavia. Sitting down on the seat across from her, the Lieutenant sniffed as she looked at the grey earth pony.

“This is a debriefing, not an interrogation if that’s what you were thinking. As much as I would like to take your face and slam it as hard as I could against the table for shooting me in the leg and breaking my ribs, I have orders to not harm you.” Sparkle spat with the finish, obviously disgusted by Octavia.

Octavia just sat with a hoof on her cheek, looking bored. I could take you in a fight, it was only stupidity that I head butted you from the brick wall.

“How’s the head?” Octavia asked with a rude smirk.

Twilight scrunched her snout and stitched her eye brows at the pony’s remark. Sighing as a response, the Lieutenant magically levitated a file that was inside of her coat pocket, putting flat on the table and sliding it towards the Mafia pony.

Octavia turned it over, inspecting the picture of Filthy Rich, staring at her in the face.

“To be blunt, your mission is to take down Filthy Rich and all his executive heads.” Was all the Lieutenant said in regards to the picture. Octavia flipped it over and saw four pictures of different ponies looking at her. Though, there was a sixth picture, but whoever was on it could not be seen by a shading from a marker.

I’ve never seen these ponies. Caramel, Ace, Aloe, And Berry Punch…wait a minute… Octavia strained her neck to focus on the crossed out picture, seeing a single object untouched by the black marker.

Three Red apples as a cutie mark on an orange flank.

“Wait is this…Applejack?” Octavia said, looking up from the picture to Lt. Sparkle. The detective had suddenly changed her expression from determination and anger to morose and disgruntled. Only for a second did a flash of sadness over take her eyes. Shaking her head, quickly she sighed.

“Yes. Today we got a report from an officer walking the beat, saying that he found a dead body. Some ambulance came, and then the morgue said it was Applejack. Funny thing is, she had no injuries. No cuts, no bullet holes, nothing. She just was a lifeless husk of a warm pony on the street.”

Octavia felt a well grow in her heart. The first friend she made in the mafia was now dead somewhere. But through the mourning, something clicked in the back of her mind.

“Wait, how the hell did you get this info?” Octavia said, now growing anxious. Could there already be a mole besides me?

The detective looked at Octavia, no expression now on her face. “Well, some was my own detective work. But this file itself was just left on my desk. The police department never organized this file, it would be under my jurisdiction to do so. It’s given me and the commissioner the info on the earth mafia.”

Octavia stared back down to the file. The ponies in all the pictures just seemed to do normal everyday things, shopping, talking. Just things that never made you think of them as some criminal. Octavia looked a little closer to the pictures, and noticed a subtle similarity between them all. All of the pictures were shot from an upward angle, someplace like a balcony or a roof top.

Octavia thought for a moment before taking her gaze away. Better not let them know this. I might be a prisoner to them, but I'm no traitor.

Thinking of betrayal, Octavia thought of another question. She looked up to see the purple unicorn watching her, giving her a bored look.

Octavia asked her question. “What if I don’t agree to be your spy, Sparkle?” Octavia closed the file, giving the unicorn a intimidating glare.

The detective kept giving her the same look before she answered. “Well, if you were just some petty criminal, then you would be sentenced with a allotted time in a jail cell.” Twilight paused to look away for a moment, articulating her thoughts.

“But seeing as you are heavily involved in organized crime,” Twilight looked back with a casual slowness. “You will be sentenced to death.”

Octavia felt the fur on her neck rise at the mention of a death sentence. She had only been afraid of death in her early career in the Mafia, the slugging pump of adrenaline that affected her as bullets tore through the tarp of the carriage carrying the Mafia’s precious cargo.

But now, Octavia only was edged on by the mention of it, something that gave her a little bit of rage and strength to push on.

“Why such a dramatic sentence?”

“Well, one would say its treason against the princess and her country. Others would say its because it’s what you deserve for the slaughter of so many ponies.” Twilight leaned back in her chair, pushing her fore hoof against the small metal table that separated the two.

“I say it’s to teach a lesson to the Mafia families.” Twilight finished her grim explanation with a nonchalant tone.

Octavia plainly sniffed at the unicorn’s death lust. So, Octavia began to speak in her mind. It’s a battle of coldness.

Octavia nodded along to it, propping her left shoulder on the head of her chair. “I get that.”

Neither moved a muscle as they stared into each other’s eyes, growing a hate for the color of them. The door creaked a shrill cry when the commissioner walked in.

“Twilight, get out here. We just received word from Fillydelphia. The executive Ace of the earth Mafia has been killed.”

Twilight turned around completely in her seat as the commissioner gave her the info. She nodded, sliding out of her seat and walking out of the door, letting it fall into place with a loud metallic bang. Octavia took the photo that was labeled Ace and tore it in half without another look at it. Tossing the scraps over the side, she threw out a large huff of exhaustion.

“One less to worry about.” Octavia muttered with a hint of a disgruntling tone. Putting her head down, she decided to take a nap on the police. To piss them off, to ignore them if they wanted to order her around. and because she was exceedingly tired.

=-=-=-=-=

Octavia awoke to a sharp and rude beam of light interrupting her closed eyes. Opening her eyes she saw that she had been moved to a small room. Though not a jail cell, it was a room.

She was laying down on a small cot propped up by a wooden frame, not exactly a cloud, but not a rock either. What made it a room, was a small little kitchen in the top left corner of the four walled room. A long L shaped counter, built with a fridge, coffee maker, stove, and cabinets. Octavia looked south of the end of the bed to see a door fitted to the wall. The glossy wood reflected the sunlight coursing through the square frame window across the room.

"Where the hell am I?" Octavia questioned in a deep sleep gruff voice.

Sliding off of the bed, the door to the right opened with barley any noise. Walking in was the commissioner Red Dawn.

"Finally awake. Come on, I'll explain." The commissioner walked over to the kitchen, were the coffee pot was filled with black liquid.

Octavia obeyed without objection, watching the large stallion pull two mugs out of a cabinet above the coffee pot. She sat down, waiting for the commissioner to bring her the coffee he was preparing, and watching the now visible clock above the headboard of the bed. 7:24 Octavia guessed it being in the afternoon, considering that she had woken up at eight in the morning.

The commissioner finally came to the table and placed the two mugs down, taking the seat across from Octavia. Octavia looked over the stallion, taking in his dark green coat. It looked faded, as if it had been through a wash multiple times in one day. His beard had the most hair she ever saw on a ponies face at once, covering his entire jaw, lips, and riding all the way up to his short mane. His piano black hair looked fluffy and soft, while the grey that was running through it made him look rugged and experienced.

"Hey commissioner?" Octavia said in a question starting tone.

The aged stallion was in mid sip of his coffee, popping one of his closed eyes to look at the grey mare, he set his mug back down. "Just Red or Dawn, not commissioner."

Octavia nodded. "If you don't mind me asking, but how old are you?"

Red propped an eyebrow at the mares question. He tilted his head at her. "Why do you ask?"

Octavia shrugged, swooping her hoof into the mugs handle. "Curious."

The commissioner nodded. "I'm fifty-three since last week." Taking another sip before continuing. "I've been the commissioner of the MHPD for twenty years."

Octavia let her eyes widen a bit as a sign of having acknowledged his revelation. She let her mug come to the table with a hollow thud, looking back up to the glossy eyed stallion.

"What is this place? If i had to take a guess, I'd say some luxury cell." Octavia said, arching a leg over the chair head.

The commissioner raised both his eye brows, giving a flick of his head. "Wow, good guess. Really nailed it there." Another sip.

Octavia smiled at her own cleverness. The conversation died for a minute, silence overwhelming her eardrums, the own beating of her heart becoming the loudest noise in the room. The commissioner cleared his throat to signify he was about to speak.

"You know, for a murderous pony who is cold hearted, you have manners. That strikes me odd.". The commissioner said, wiping a hoof across his hair.

Octavia snorted with a wicked grin. "Yeah. I was born in Canterlot and raised there all my life. It wasn't until i had to go to college that i decided to move to Manehattan. I quit really quickly after enrollment though, my cello playing became a full time job." Octavia paused to look out the window.

To the commissioner and any other pony that would've been in the room, it would've looked like the big tough mare, was slowly shrinking to a weak form of herself. She looked out the window to remember her life before drastically changing, even though it was not all too long ago that she went down to her usual spot to show her cello skills.

"But as the prohibition came closer, i lost my job. I'm sure you have one such file with info on me, but i played cello in pubs at night, for those ponies who could use a long throb of sadness, a small effort of comfort in where they had been lonely for a very long time. They clapped, grateful of what some called 'charity to the public'. I didn't see it as charity or anything of the like, i just saw it as a escape from life. My cello now sits still in my apartment, slowly collecting dust. A sad sight for a sad instrument." Octavia finished her speech, looking back to the commissioner.

His face was lighted against the dark wall placed behind him. He had his own little grin carved into his face, and a tiny glimmer in his eye.

"Wow. That was pretty good. You had me actually thinking there." The commissioner kept smiling his friendly smile, leaning back in the small table chair.

Octavia sighed, wiping the thought of her old life from her memory. Time to get to work.

"So Red, why are you here?" Octavia now sat facing the stallion, looking right at him.

The commissioner had gotten up for another cup of coffee, and was now sitting down. "Can i not visit my prisoners?" The commissioner asked innocently.

Octavia simply shook her head.

The commissioner is the one who snorted this time. "Fine. I came here because I needed to explain somethings about this entire deal you're going through."

Oh great, another debriefing. Octavia thought within her mind, struggling not to grimace.

"What this is technically, is were you will be living until you are released from our command. Every night you will come here to check in your weapons and sleep. There is only one exception to this rule. If you are assigned a operation from your current boss, then you will need to contact us immediately" The commissioner explained.

"Oh I see, you wan't me to still be loyal to the family. I understand your game Red, but exactly how am i supposed to kill all these ponies without having the entire family turn on me?" Octavia asked the commissioner doubtfully.

The commissioner gave a non-committal shrug. "Sooner or later, you're going to have to turn on them.But i suggest early on you be discrete." Red finished his second cup of coffee but stood in the seat.

Octavia through her hooves in the air, letting them fall to the table. "Thanks." She said in a huff.

The commissioner smirked at her frustration. "Get some rest, you start tomorrow." The commissioner stood up from the seat and walked out of the room.

Octavia still had her thoughts running a mile a minute by the time she climbed into her bed. Creaks emitted from the cot every time she had shifted her body around, keeping her awake. Some call outs could be heard faintly from her room, some criminal ponies who were bantering the nearby patrol ponies. Octavia sighed, truly feeling like a prisoner now. She had checked under the door, only too see the back hooves of a guard blocking her view. The grief of a dead Applejack rose to her mind as she uneasily fell into a somber sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My god, that took way too long. Now time for some news.

As you can see, i am slightly changing the format, as doing the other thing for a divider was a little tedious. I am also trying to improve the non-action scenes, slowing them down a bit and such. Don't think i really nailed it here, but i'll try harder next time.

OVER 30 FAVORITES. I made a mark, finally! Thank you to my 32 readers, i'm glad you can wade through my almost little to none comprehensible writing. I love you guys for making me feel like writing isn't a chore. I'm going to do some stuff to improve myself, so that's to look forward to.

Here again is the tumblr i made. I'm going to put it up on the description of the story if any of you are interested. (Shameless promotion) http://wolfoblivion.tumblr.com/

Some time during November, i will be having surgery, which means a long time away from the computer, but before then, i'll be working double time to put out more chapters.

Thanks for reading!

P.S.: Edits could not be made. FIMfiction is glitching out on me, sorry.