• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 3,267 Views, 91 Comments

The Black Cello Mafia - WolfOblivion



Octavia loses work in pubs due to prohibition of alcohol, joins Mafia.

  • ...
6
 91
 3,267

Chapter 3: Lodate, Scold.

The Black Cello Mafia

Chapter 3: Lodate, Scold
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 20th; 5:00 P.M.

Octavia sat on a wide, beaten-up green couch in Applejacks office. She had been called in for more work, and had to wait for Applejack to arrive. Octavia really observed the room for the first time.

It was brown. Brown is what seemed to be the entire over-haul of the entire room. Brown door, brown walls, brown desk. The room had a warm light to it, almost completely dark besides the half open shutters on the windows, and the one candle to the right on a dresser. It smelt of felt, apples, and gun powder. As Octavia was looking around, Applejack walked in.

“There ya are. Called in for the new job, hmm?” Applejack started in a dulcet tone. Octavia nodded when Applejack finally sat down.

“Well, to put it simply, there is a Speak down on 43rd and Wing Street. We’ve been having suspicions that the Police will raid that Speak any time soon. You, are to stand guard duty for that Speak.” Octavia nodded as she paused.

“It’s at 8:00 P.M. tonight. Be very alert, the chance of the Manehattan P.D. to show up is very high. Now go, prepare.” Applejack said, digging through her desk.

Octavia hurried out of the room, heading back to her apartment to pack bullets for the Buck, and to ready herself for the job.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:05 P.M.

Octavia stood as vigilant as the royal guard to protect the Speakeasy, and the ponies inside. The Speak was like her own personal one, warm, full of drinking ponies, and quiet music playing in the background. Octavia looked to the other guard, and saw that he was sitting down. Taking the embarrassment face forward, Octavia sat down.

How the hell are police supposed to be here? There can’t be a way for them to track down the Speaks, so how could they know? Octavia thought behind a stone façade. Pulling out Buck to inspect it, a large group to the left of the bar starting screaming gleefully at something.

Buck had a silver polish over the grey toned barrel. The grip, though leather, was enough to hold onto, as much as to hold onto a stampeding bull. The six-holed chamber had a red tint to it, probably a personal touch from the Apple family. The trigger had a trigger guard big enough to fit her hoof through, and felt comfortable for shooting to Octavia. She had packed 30 bullets, six chambers to fire.

Octavia put the Buck back in the under-leg holster, and stared forward. More ponies drinking and having fun for the night. To the right, there was a large group, with three Unicorns, two Pegasi, and two Earth ponies. The middle had gaggles of ponies sitting at tables, while the right wall had booths. Everything looked just normally a bar to Octavia, but the premonition of the Manehattan police showing up kept her wary at all times.

Octavia looked at the grandfather clock next to the bar, showing it was now 8:30. Octavia was gazing around the room, until something caught her eye. A small glint hit her eye as she gazed over the booths, and made her turn her head from the shine. After shielding her eyes for a moment, she slowly turned her head to the original place. At the third booth in the five set, there was a light violet mare Unicorn, with dark violet hair and a pink stripe running through it. She was wearing a black leather coat, and a black scarf, smiling at the blue haired Unicorn sitting next to her.

Octavia quickly looked to the large group to the left, looking at the three unicorns, two wearing almost the same attire. Octavia briskly walked over to the second guard.

“There is a purple unicorn with a coat and scarf, and two other wear the same exact things. No pony else is wearing the same, keep a lookout.” Octavia informed the Earth pony of her suspicions. The guard nodded, and started to watch the table closely. Octavia trotted back to her place on the other side of the door.

Octavia started to stare at the Unicorn, and fixed a look at her. The purple unicorn was looking around, and spotted the guard staring at the table, instead of Octavia staring at her. The unicorn stood up and waltzed over to left of the bar, keeping about a fifteen foot distance from the guard, staring at him all the way. Octavia staring at her all the way as well.

The pony stopped, and faced the guard. Walking up to him to close the distance, her horn started glowing. Standing roughly 8 feet from the completely oblivious guard, she pulled out a revolver, screaming “MANEHATTAN P.D., GET ON THE GROUND!”

The unicorn fired a warning shot, and the guard turned on her, pulling out his own pistol. The unicorn pistol whipped him in the snout, falling unconscious to the ground. Two of the three unicorns in the large group jumped up, pulling out their own guns. Some ponies in the bar stood still before the bartender screamed “EVACUATE, EVERY PONY RUN!”

All the ponies in the ran for different exits as reinforcements from the Earth Mafia streamed in from a door on the right wall. The unicorns started to fire on the guards, a couple falling down. Octavia took the chance and ran towards the bar.

Jumping over the bar, she pulled out the .357, and blind fired two bullets over her head. She heard a pony scream out as the second shot was fired, and ducked down in time as a river of bullets chased her head. Turning on her haunches to stand up and fire, she pulled Buck all the way in front of her.

Quickly aiming at the now standing blue unicorn mare next to the large table, she fired a shot, hitting the pony in the stomach. The unicorns knees buckled, and she fell on the ground full of broken glass, more blood spilling out. Looking around, Octavia saw the other unicorn, a stallion, on the ground with a bullet hole in his cheek. She snapped her gaze, watching as the last of the reinforcements get wounded and fall to the ground. Octavia’s eyes rounded and she ducked again as a bullet grazed her ear. Wincing in pain, she held her hoof to her ear, blood spilling onto it. Octavia jumped back up, quickly firing her fourth shot at the last cop, ripping the front left hoof of the mare. She screamed out, almost falling to the ground, but regained her balance, firing a counter shot at her. It’s just a stalemate. I need to get out of here. Octavia, laying on the ground behind the bar, heard the mare run to the tables to the right of Octavia.

Looking up, Octavia saw the back entrance door, where the bartender had fled through. Now crouching, Octavia slinked over the door, facing where the mare was. Bullets sprayed and hit the bottles above her, drenching her with various drinks and cocktails.

Octavia jumped up in a second, firing her last two shots blindly at the mare to suppress her, turned, and bucked down the door. Running out into the now raining alleyway of Manehattan, she heard the mare scream out to her.

Octavia ran as fast as she could, hearing the sirens of the police stream on the street adjacent to her. Mane wet, suit drenched, she ran down to the carriageways underground, running into the first bathroom she saw. Stripping down from her suit, she threw it into the trash.

“I’m going to be suspicious if I smell like booze and blood.” Octavia shuddered through her wet fur. Shaking off the wetness, she wiped herself down with the paper towels sitting by the sinks. Now with a proper mane and fur, she picked up her saddlebags to inspect them.

“A little damp from the drinks I guess, but the smell of rain should mask it.” Shoving Buck and the holster into the saddle bag, she trotted out of the bathroom to ride a carriageway to her home, the events of the night still pumping adrenaline through her through the fear of the Manehattan P.D. catching her. But she made it home safe, free and releaved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 21st

“Octavia, we lost four members, three to death, and one was takin' into custody of the Manehattan P.D.” Applejack scolded Octavia the day after the raid. Octavia nodded.

“We also lost the Speak, and now a cop knows your face.” Octavia’s head was bent.

“But, it isn’t your fault Octavia.” Octavia’s head snapped back up. “I was actually told from the bartender there that you had noticed that the unicorns were suspicious, and that you took initiative by telling your fellow guard about it. A job well done I say, but the repercussions of losing the Speak and our product is still present.” Applejack praised Octavia.

“All in all, you still deserve your pay, here you go, 200 bits.” Applejack dropped a bag of bits on her desk. Octavia’s jaw practically hit the floor.

“T-t-two hundred?!” Octavia stammered.

Applejack still kept a stren look. “This isn’t just all personal. You need to buy yourself another suit since you trashed the other, so that’s half the pay.” Applejack informed Octavia.

Octavia closed her mouth and nodded. “I understand.”

“Now go,” Applejack ordered. “I have to send a report to the boss now.” Octavia picked up the bag of bits in her mouth, and trotted out of the door, worry crashing like waves over Octavia’s body. Doubts filled her mind and her mouth sour as she galloped home in the downpour.

Octavia climbed the worn out stairs up to apartment, wanting nothing but to sleep. Octavia stood outside her door, alert, hearing sounds from inside the apartment. Face scrunched up in confusion, she threw the door open, to a cloud gray Earth pony with a steel mane, rummaging through the coffee table drawers. The mare looked up in surprise, the emotion on her face turning from surprise to menacing. “Hello, my dear daughter.” She drew slowly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this was rather quick. I didn't expect myself to just wake up and write, but i did. Not much to say this time, so this will be short.

Twilight will be a reoccurring character, and there will be two more chapters to Act 1; Six in total. And yes, a cliff hangar, i was having a bit of trouble on how to end this chapter, trying to make it different from the previous ones.

Next chapter, action takes a back seat to more plot and character development.

Thanks for reading!