• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 3,267 Views, 91 Comments

The Black Cello Mafia - WolfOblivion



Octavia loses work in pubs due to prohibition of alcohol, joins Mafia.

  • ...
6
 91
 3,267

Chapter 2: Family is family, no matter what.

The Black Cello Mafia

Chapter 2: Family is family, no matter what.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 18th

“So, does your hoof hurt?” Applejack addressed the grey pony standing in front of her desk.
Octavia shook her head, showing that being an earth pony made her tougher, more than anyone else. The initiation took place the day prior, passing a burning card around the Manehattan chapter of the Earth Mafia, and then having Octavia hold it without dropping it until the card burned completely away. There were a total of 9 people, including her, at the initiation, and she had to meet and memorize every one.

Afterward, Octavia had Mugs take her to a custom tailor to make her suit residing as a member. A black silk fedora with a violet stripe wrung around the bend of the bill meeting the dome of the hat. A black silk suit, with a buttoned undershirt. And to top it off, a violet tie, allowing a own personal bit of style. Now sitting in the same suit in front of Applejack, she was awaiting the reason she had called Octavia.

“Good, because today, you might need it. I have a job for you.”

Octavia’s eyes grew wide. “Already? I just came in yesterday.”

“Yeah well, that doesn’t excuse you from work.” Applejack retorted. “This job will test you for how well you can work under pressure, if you are good with words, and maybe, if you’re lucky, test if ya know how to use a gun.” Applejack finished with a smirk.

Octavia’s eyes rounded slightly as her boss had mentioned a gun. Octavia had been taken shooting once in her life by her father, and she did as her father said “None less or more than average.”

Applejack stood up from behind the desk, turned around and opened a heavy safe. She reached inside with her mouth, and brought out what to an average person would just be a revolver.

“A .375 revolver, a strong and proud weapon. This is my very own personal gun, a long time ago my gran-pappy gave this to me right before he died. I have cherished it ever since. I am entrusting you with this gun, Octavia.” Apple jack said as she pushed the gun towards Octavia.

“Wait what?!” Octavia said, clumsily taking the gun into her hooves. “Why entrust me with such a valuable thing to you?”

Applejacks smile faded as her face took a serious tone. “Octavia, you need to learn this now, and learn it quick.” Applejack, now sitting, was boring into Octavia’s eyes, making her itch under her skin. “We share the same blood, 100% Earth Pony. And because of that, we are family. Blood is family. I am entrusting this too you because you are a member of my, and all of our, families. Now go, Big Macintosh is waiting outside waiting for you.” Applejack finished while looking out the window to the Manehattan streets.

Octavia backed away, and then trotted quickly out of the room, the horrifying stare of Applejack still burning in her mind.

The sun beat down on Octavia as she sat in the back of an open carriage. The sun, now showing the day about noon, was casting light on the unsteady road between Manehattan and the Apple family barn. Octavia looked down on the large stallion, Big Macintosh, pulling the carriage easily on the trail. Octavia looked back on the trail, wary of the reinforcements behind that Big Macintosh informed her of.
****************************************************************************************************

“So, when we are transporting the goods to a Speakeasy in Manehattan, we will have reinforcements behind us, in case we break out into a fire fight.” Big Macintosh informed Octavia as they were walking to a parked carriage outside of a smelly garage.

“How would you know if we were going to need them?” Octavia questioned, worry arising in her mind. “I mean, it’s not good if we do fight with some ponies right?”

Big Macintosh nodded.”Eyyup. If we do fight, we will need the reinforcements to help fight. You are here for talking our way out of any non-violent situation, as well as defending me as I pull the shipment.”

Alright then. Octavia thought. I might have to kill some pony. I’ve fought before, but I’ve never killed. Octavia’s stomach turned in on its self, have thoughts of having to murder a pony, as she climbed onto the carriage.

Big Macintosh loaded himself on to the pull, and spoke to Octavia, raising his voice and turning his head so she could hear him. “Ready to go?” Octavia nodded to him as Big Macintosh started to walk.
****************************************************************************************************

Octavia’s eyes focused on the large red barn approaching over the horizon, and almost fell out of the carriage Big Mac picked up the pace. Coming even faster to the acre, Octavia looked behind her again, still anticipating the reinforcements to show themselves at anytime. But still, no ponies revealed the selves to her.

Octavia noticed that she was hitting bumps from the gun that Applejack gave her was jumping around inside of the leather holster underneath her legs, and looked up at the entrance they had arrived at. Big Mac released himself, and trotted towards what looked like cellar doors.

Time passed by as Big Mac loaded five barrels onto the carriage, and sifted himself to the reign again. Back on the road towards Manehattan, the sun was now defending from the sky, heating the back of the carriage. Big Mac stopped in his tracks and looked around. Taking precaution as well, Octavia looked behind the carriage to look for ponies coming towards them. After finding nothing, Octavia turned her head to a bullet whizzing past her snout. She immediately dropped down from shock, and looked up. There were three hovering Pegasi, about thirty yards to the left of the shipment carriage. Octavia dodged back as another bullet flew past her, screaming “GO BIG MAC, RUN!” Big Mac broke into a run as Octavia ordered, and the Pegasi gave chase.

Octavia contemplated using the gun in the holster, conflicting herself over murder. If I don’t use it, Big Mac and I will die! And if I still survive, and the reinforcements take care of them, I won’t pass the test… Octavia was crouching down, the bullets still ripping through the cloth of the carriage.

Alright. One has a full-auto; the other two seem to just be carrying pistols. What the full-auto was, Octavia didn’t know. Pulling out the .357 from its holster, she readied herself against the carriage floor and the cloth wall, taking in where the ponies were. There was a brown stallion Pegasus in a faded blue suit, shooting what seemed to be a .45 to Octavia, and sized up to start shooting herself.

BLAM. The shot grazed the ponies’ front leg, making him flutter a little in the air. Octavia fired again, hitting the pony in the neck. Blood spurted out of the hole in an instant, the Pegasus falling fast to the ground.

Octavia stared at the body, growing fuzzy from the distance between her and the moving carriage. “I just killed a pony.”
Octavia whispered under her breath.

Octavia was snapped from her thoughts as bullets ripped away an entire piece of cloth, a hole the size of a watermelon showing. Through the hole, Octavia was looking at the pony with a Thompson machine gun. Quickly taking aim, Octavia fired two shots, one hitting the gun before the Pegasus fired, and the other right through the ear. The pony winced, but regained his balance. Octavia looked ahead, and saw the tallest buildings in Manehattan over the horizon. Looking back through the hole, the Tommy Pegasus had a clear shot, Octavia’s stomach dropping and a well forming in her heart.

RATATAT. Octavia shut her eyes, waiting for the pain to well up. After a second, she looked down, perfectly fine. Looking through the hole, she saw blood gushing from the Pegasus, watching as he fell to the ground. Octavia whipped her head around, and saw two Earth Ponies on the road, one with a machine gun, then other with a pistol. Octavia couldn’t stop the smile growing on her face, and the gratefulness she felt for the two ponies. Running towards the other end of the carriage, she quickly took aim at the last Pegasus, and started to fire as she lined the shot. Blood pumping at a ridiculous pace, she fired the last two bullets in the revolver, both hitting the Pegasus square in the chest.

Not bothering to look as the pony fell, she turned front as Big Mac was slowing down. Panting Big Mac released himself to check the goods, while Octavia stepped down to speak to the two ponies approaching.

“Thanks for saving my flank there.” Octavia full heartedly said with a grin. “I seriously thought I was going to die for a minute there.”

“Well, we got a tip earlier that the Pegasi Mafia was going to make a move on the next shipment, so we were sent for reinforcement.” The blue stallion in a steel grey suit informed Octavia.

“Did Applejack know?” Octavia asked.

“Yes she did, that’s why she made you the main defender of the shipment, for the test.” An aged tan mare in a blue pinstripe chimed in.

“Alright, even though that would’ve been nice to know, I guess I understand.” Octavia sighed out. The three suited ponies headed back to the carriage when Big Mac called them over to get moving, heading back to Manehattan.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Octavia! Ya did well on the test I hear from my two guards.” Applejack exclaimed as Octavia walked in her office. Back at the Speakeasy, the day was turning to night, the bar warm and comfortable. Octavia nodded. “Thank you ma’am.”

“Very po-lite like.” Applejack smirked. “As you award for a job well done, you may keep the .357, and you are now officially trusted by the family.”

“Really?” Octavia’s mouth agape slightly. “You’re letting me keep the revolver?”

Applejack grinned and nodded. “Yes, you may keep the Apple Bucker. I always called it Buck for short. Now, go, drink! Rest up, you deserve it.” Applejack shooed Octavia away as she was starting to write on a piece of paper.

Octavia lingered a moment longer before dipping out of the room, and down the stairs. She walked up to Mugs to order, giddiness coursing through her. Octavia sat at an empty table, silently drinking her beer, and people watching, the thought and horror of killing ponies far away in the back of her mind.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY. I FINISHED IT. Sorry for the super delay from the deadline i gave, I've run into a lot of IRL problems, and the heat is killing me. From now on, i am not giving myself deadlines, i'm just gonna miss them.

Anyway, Right after i post this, i am going to write up an intermission to explain things, because myself i am confused over my own writing, and i should clarify things for myself and post it as Intermission 1.

Chapter 3 will have MPD (MHPD?[Manehattan Police Department]) And the blog will be a bit cannon again. Thanks for reading!