• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 3,267 Views, 91 Comments

The Black Cello Mafia - WolfOblivion



Octavia loses work in pubs due to prohibition of alcohol, joins Mafia.

  • ...
6
 91
 3,267

--1--: Four Strokes

----1----

"Well. Here we are."

"Yeah. Here we are."

"Took awhile, didn't it?"

"A life time almost."

"You could have kept your commitment."

"Yeah, well....I drifted for awhile. New habits became addictions."

"No excuses."

"Not trying to make one. I did wrong by everyone. I fucked all of it up."

"It was purely your fault."

"Not completely.

A voice broke in. "Doesn't matter. We've arrived."

"Well....you first."

"No, I insist. You"

"Still fighting with me? Fine, I'll go."

The sand burned. It was supremely hot. As was the sun, a polar contrast to the pitch black armored van the two voices had their conversation in.

Well, Mares. They were Mares.

---

Silence.

Dripping.

A voice.

"I don't think you know how bad I want to kill you. And myself."

"Uh-huh. Point taken."

"It's your fault we're stuck here, and she's out there, in the wasted city!"

"Get your memories straight, we both know it was--"

A loud banging resonated from a wooden door.

"Shut up in there! Keep talking and no food!"

Both voices had quit their talking. And then a whisper.

"You know I love you, right?"

"Of course I do. And I hate you."

...

"Just wanted to make sure you remembered..."

---

The bed was soft. And the book was nice. The material was familiar, like an old smell not smelt in a long expanse of time, but still completely within the confines of remembrance.

A knock came from the large door across from the bed. "You alright in here?"

"Yes. Thank you for the tea. Just like I remembered."

"Of course I remembered. We drank it everyday, I could never forget."

"Mmm...what time will the trial begin?"

"Nine in the morning. So get your rest, you need to be on your guard as the defendant. The Royal High Court are very tricky."

"Okay. Do you think they'll believe me?"

"Yes, I do. And so do I. Now please, get some rest."

The door closed, and the lights went out. The blankets rustled in the darkness, and the cold sheets stung. A lamp sparked on, as a quill touched an ink well to a paper.

Dear Fluttershy,

It was us. It was our fault. I am so sorry we brought you back, only to get you were you are now...where ever you are now. I'm not allowed to know where you are....they wont tell me. I've asked so many times, but they keep telling me that you're fine, that you're safe....I don't believe them. We left Manehattan in ruins. It must be hard for anypony to survive there now. I'm sorry. I promise you, I'll will get you out of there. This letter is getting to you via magic. There is no way for you to respond, or at least, no way I know of.

Sincerely,

Magic.

---

"Is there a problem with your food? Because you don't have to have any."

"Um...no. I just don't feel all that great."

"Oh...huh. Hope you aren't getting sick."

The crickets chirped and echoed among the rubble, reaching all the way up to the large, blown out high-rise.

"Do you think we'll ever get out?" The fire crackled warmly, shading the blood-stained carpet a thick orange.

...

"I'm not sure. It's been 4 months and the magical barrier is still holding strong. Look, you don't have to eat the beans, a recon team went out earlier today and radioed back that they had found some berries growing out near the outskirts. And some whiskey buried in some rubble."

"I don't drink...you know that."

"I know, I know. Just trying to make light in the situation." The fire was being keenly stoked, a half burnt and torn piece of wood being thrown in the burning barrel afterward.

The city was quiet, all for a small flashing firefight to the west end.

"I wonder what's happening out there. Maybe someone's hurt..."

"Doesn't concern us. That's pegasi territory."

It was quiet for a moment before a question was asked.

"How come we aren't out there? Both of us are pegasi."

"Because. They're violent, most of them are from the old mafia before the barrier had exploded in place."

"We aren't violent?"

"No. Well, yes, but we have order. We have ties with Canterlot. Stingy fucks, They're only using us. They've never planned on letting us out."

More silence, followed by a match strike and the puffing of a cigarette.

"You shouldn't smoke. It interferes with the blood circulation to the wings. I'm not sure what you'd do with out them."

"...I don't care about my wings anymore. They're out of order for the most part anyway. The blast displaced the joints.

...

"I'm going to sleep."

"Are you going to read that letter?"

"I will In the morning."

"Alright. Night."

"Night."

After watching the sleepy pony stalk off back into the dark, the pegasus took a long drag from the cigarette.

"You don't understand. It was all because of you that we're still alive."

The crickets continued and the gun fire had stopped. The city was silent again.

Author's Note:

If you're still reading, I applaud you.

It's been awhile.