• Published 15th Nov 2018
  • 2,396 Views, 328 Comments

An Apple a Day - The Blue EM2

  • ...
19
 328
 2,396

An evening with Pip

My mind had totally frozen. What was this about Pip and I doing something this evening? Did this mean that this world’s Apple Bloom and Pip had been dating?

Given the last two days, I couldn’t afford to rule anything out. So, I quickly went upstairs to my room and started to rack my brains over what to do. To be absolutely sure, I decided to send him a text.

Hi Pip, you wouldn’t mind reminding me about tonight?

I hit send and waited for the reply.

It’s at 6 tonight. We agreed the park, remember?

I started typing back.

I was just making sure, that’s all.

There was another pause.

That’s OK. See you then!



That cleaned that one up. But it didn’t clear the feeling of unease in my heart. I’d liked girls when I was a boy, so what if it didn’t work? Then I’d leave a heartbroken Pip behind, and I couldn’t bear that.

But on the other hand, I’d felt something when I’d woken up after being hit with a door. Something...different, that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. What could it be?

I pushed such thoughts to one side, taking out my homework. Luckily, I’d only got two pieces; a composition exercise in music, and an algebra exercise. Easy.



Except the composition exercise only allowed us to use three notes. How on Earth do you write an entire piece using three notes? Using only three chords makes sense, but not three notes!

Who did the teacher think I was, Phillip Glass?

I eventually settled on the notes of C, E, and G. What I ended up with sounded rather repetitive, but I made sure to alter some parts of it by incorporating such things as phase shifting and rearranged pitches.

Oh, and that thing the Americans call verticalization!



Algebra was at least a little more predictable. I solved them more or less by looking at them. It probably helped I’d been through secondary school once before, so I knew how to do these things at a much higher level.

Dinner was at 4:30. I wondered why it was so early compared to yesterday, so I went and enquired.

Ma’s answer was something along these lines; “Dear, aren’t ya seein’ Pip this evenin’?”

Typical. Everyone except me was clued up on what was going on.



The meal was a delicious clam chowder, Cajun style. It was one of my favourite styles of food, but when it came to cooking, I was worse than Sweetie Belle. And that’s saying something!

Once we were done, I headed upstairs to get changed. I figured that if I was seeing Pip, I had to at least look the part.

So, away went the shirt, jeans and boots (for a while, at least). I rifled through the drawers looking for something a bit more suitable for tonight’s proceedings.

Why can’t some people just have wardrobes? It would make life a lot easier.

But after a long search, I finally found what I was looking for. A lime green sundress and a pair of sandles to go with it. Whilst not having much experience with this sort of attire for obvious reasons, I figured that I could fudge my way through this encounter.

There was that line in a musical I starred in once. How did it go?

Ah yes, that was it!

“And a frock in Cosmopolitan, an ancient tome I have read of late, that teaches one how to sophisticate!”



I slapped some sunblock on my feet just to be safe. You can never be too careful with the old sun.

I headed downstairs and arrived in the kitchen. Pa was waiting there, along with Big Mac. Argh, too many Mac’s in this household!

“We’re ready to go, if you are,” Pa spoke.

Big Mac had a mild look of confusion on his face. “How’s this behind the strange attire?” he asked.

Pa sighed. “Mac, that’s yer little sister. She clearly wants to make a good impression for Pip.”

Mac nodded. “Eeyup. Ah only wish Sugar Belle made a similar effort.”



Big Mac was dating Sugar Belle in this world? Well, there go all the Cheerimac fanfics I read!

I gave Pa a thumbs-up. “Let’s go!” I called.

We headed out to the truck, which my automobile nut brain tried to identify. It looked to be a Chevrolet of some description, probably the 1950 model based on the styling. But when we sat inside, the interior had an odd mixture of modern and vintage features. There was an air conditioning unit, and the originals didn’t have those!

But I didn’t have to worry for too long, as Pa gave the briefing. It was clear he was very proud of the vehicle.

“Mah Pa owned an original back when Ah lived in Cass, all the way back in the 70s,” he explained. He turned the key, and the engine started up with a satisfying rumble. But it was oddly quiet for a vehicle of its age.

“Course, that one gave out a very long time ago,” Pa continued. “It broke mah heart to see it go, as it was the last link Ah had to Pa. So as soon as Chevrolet announced that they were producing an updated version, Ah placed an order. Course, it looks like the original, but it has all the modern features, like radio, air conditioning, and computer assisted drive.”



He pressed down on the accelerator, and away we went! But we didn’t get very far.

There was a sudden lurch, and the truck ground to a halt. We both scrambled out to take a look at it.

Pa sighed. “Bother, we have a puncture.”

He shouted over to Grand Pear. “Can we borrow Sadie again?”



Pip sat in the park, worried. 6pm had been and gone, and he was worried that Apple Bloom wasn’t going to come! Then all his work would be for naught.

But then, a whistle alerted him, as the familiar sight of Sadie rumbled to a halt in the treeline. Apple Bloom hopped off the side of the engine, and Bright Mac shouted to her.

“I’ll be back at 8:30! Be ready!”

“OK Pa!”

With that, the traction engine whistled once more, and steamed away into the distance. Apple Bloom sprinted over to Pip.

His mouth fell open in amazement. She looked absolutely beautiful, wearing that green dress and sandles.

He got up, and called over. “Apple Bloom! I’m so happy to see you!”

She slammed into him, and hugged him tightly. “Sorry ah’m late! We had a flat and had ta borrow Sadie!”

“That’s not a worry,” Pip replied. “Do you mind if we go over to the bandstand? The ice cream stand is nearby, and I think we both need one in this heat!”

Apple Bloom nodded. “Ah agree! Lead the way!”



Pip and his close friend sprinted through the trees, over to the bandstand. Pip popped out his wallet, and looked back. “Well, what’d you like?”

Apple Bloom peered at the list. “Vanilla, please,” she replied.

Pip did a double-take. Did she really just ask for that? She normally went for strawberry! But he figured she just wanted a change, and so went with it.



A few minutes and two satisfied friends later, they sat in front of the bandstand, arms around each other’s shoulders.

The band began to play, a quick, happy number about a guy who saw, and fell in love with, a girl, whose name was a soundalike for Apple Bloom.

Pip looked over into Bloom’s eyes. “I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, but...do you like me?”

Apple Bloom snorted. “Of course Ah like ya! We’re friends, ain’t we?”

“As a friend, or in that other sense?”

There was a brief pause. “The other sense?”

Pip sighed. “Let me be upfront with this. I love you.”

Apple Bloom looked stunned. “Ya do?”

Pip nodded. “With all my heart. And let me prove it!”

For a moment later, their lips met.



I couldn’t quite believe what was going on. Not only was a cartoon character telling me he loved me, now he’d just kissed me? There were mixed and confused emotions running through my brain, some leftovers of the old days, but more powerful emotions telling me to go along with this.

Besides...I knew I couldn’t hold it back any longer.

I loved him.

But our moment of happiness was not to last.

“Eww!” said a voice from behind us. I looked back, and saw it was Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. “Apple Bloom’s dating a nine-year old!”

Pip looked cross. “I’m not nine!” he exclaimed.

“Whatever, Oliver Twist,” Silver Spoon snorted.

“I’m not from the East End!” he cried. “I’m from Nottingham!”

I had had enough. “Are ya just here ta cause trouble, or what?”

Diamond Tiara snorted. “What you gonna do, hillbilly?”

“Tell yer parents for one!” I replied. “Yer family gets a lot of its money from sellin’ our produce. What will happen when we pull the plug?”

Diamond began to waver.

“Yer down here with me. Now, buzz off.”

Diamond sprinted away. “You will regret this, Apple Bloom!” she shouted.



I sighed. “Bout time she got that.”

“You were awesome!” I heard Scootaloo shout, running over with Rumble at her side. Wait, Rumble?

“Yeah!” shouted a certain squeaky voice. It was Sweetie Belle, who was with Button Mash! Practically every ship I’d read about was happening here!

“What are ya’ll doin’ here?” I asked.

Scootaloo turned red. “I was...well...Rumble and I...”

“We’re dating,” Rumble said quickly.

Pip spoke up. “Let me guess, Sweetie Belle, you’re dating Button?”

Sweetie Belle had gone crimson, and simply nodded. Button had a massive grin on his face.

“That was great,” he said to me. “You showed those girls who’s boss!”

“That’s what friends are for,” I said. “Besides, a friend in need is a friend indeed.”

Scootaloo looked deep in thought. “There’s an old Scottish song on that theme that was a big hit when Mom was a kid. Something about many miles?”

Just then, the band fired up with ‘500 Miles’.

“What perfect timing!” Pip exclaimed, and before we knew what was happening, we were dancing the evening away.



Our fun was suddenly interrupted by a truck horn. “Apple Bloom!”

I turned to go. “Sorry, gotta dash!” I called. “See ya at school tomorrow!”

I hopped into the passenger seat. As we set off, Pa looked directly at me.

“You look like ya had fun,” he said.

“It were a great evenin’,” I replied.

And that night, I went to sleep, with a warm feeling in my heart. At long last, in my lonely life, I had found love. True, it wasn’t the way I was expecting, but life would be dull if it weren’t for a few curveballs!

Maybe I would truly be happy here. Living as one of the Apple Family, with great friends like Pip and the girls.

But the next few months would throw all of that into doubt.

Author's Note:

A new chapter is here!

I noticed that barely anybody had done PipBloom for EqG, namely due to debates about how old he is. Well, for our purposes, he's 12.

See you tomorrow everypony!