• Published 1st Dec 2018
  • 1,414 Views, 38 Comments

The 25 Days Of Hearth's Warming - Sparkle Productions



After a snowstorm Rainbow Dash and Soarin are forced to spend 25 days together, including Heath's Warming. Will they enjoy it?

  • ...
2
 38
 1,414

I Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

The 25 Days Of Hearth's Warming
I Just Don't know What Went Wrong
Sparkle Productions

The wind whistled violently. Ponies happily trotted around picking up gifts and other supplies. Or at least the ones who were out. It was freezing.

There was no snow. At least yet. Lead weather pony, Cloud Chaser and her backup Flitter were determined to fix that. Dash had left the weather team after achieving her dream to become a Wonderbolt.

The weather team was working as hard as they could after their delivery of snow clouds got mixed up with regular ones. "What do you mean no snow!" Rainbow Dash yelled at Flitter.

"What I mean is that it takes too long to manually put snow in the clouds. Unless the premade snow clouds come, we won't have snow," Flitter's voice was calm and gentle, in contrast to how loud and violent Dash's voice had been.

"Well, aren't there other solutions! I demand to speak to Cloud Chaser!"

Flitter looked down at her master scheldue of the day. "Cloud Chaser is booked all day. Right now she's trying to reason with the company that sent the wrong clouds. Then later on she's going to be trying to manually make some clouds. She doesn't have time to reason with you when there are more important matters on hoof."

"Ugghh!" Dash groaned. "Fine. I'll be back later to check in again."

"Don't bother. She can't see you later either."

"They're gonna make me regret my decision of resigning, aren't they?"

☆☆☆☆☆

The Wonderbolts Headquarters was bustling with activity. Some were flying on the training grounds. Others were praticing combat. Fleetfoot flew out of the doors, leaving.

Walking through the halls Soarin observed this, "Why's Fleetfoot leaving early? The day isn't over yet."

Spitfire looked out the window as well, "Oh, that's because I let her off early. Today's practice is only for Squad Three, who doesn't get how to do a carosel twirl," she looked up as if recalling something. "Squad Five needs to work on their combat as a whole. You're free to leave if you want. Being here today doesn't serve you any good."

"Lemme get my things first."

"I think I already know where you're going. Two words. Get. Pie. From Applejack's farm in particular." Ever since Soarin had found out from Rainbow that Applejack had made the pie from the gala, he had been going there nonstop.

"No, but now that you mention it Applejack's pie does sound good. Really good."

"Well then, seeya Soarin!" Spitfire called out as he was on his way.

"See you, Spitfire!"

☆☆☆☆☆

Sweet Apple Acres was quickly approaching at the speed Soarin was going. He slowed down as he reached the ground, his hoofs scraping against the dirt trying to stop the acceleration from being in the air. "Woo doggie, Ah'd say that was a landin' if Ah had ehva seen one. And Ah have aftah bein' friends with Dash for so long," Applejack teased.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," Soarin profusely apologized.

"Ah'm jus' teasin'. No need to get yer tinsle in a tangle." Applejack had a hearty laugh after her little joke. "So, what brings ya here anyway?"

"Apple pie."

Applejack was flabbergasted, "That's yer 13th pie and it only Thursday."

"What can I say? I just really love pie."

"Ah think that's more then love. That's addiction. How do ya nehva gain weight?"

"Wonderbolts training is hard."

"It's on tha house. You probably need it."

After the pie was ready, Applejack sat Soarin down at a picnic table in the fields. "So...where's the snow?" Soarin said trying to start up a conversation.

"Ah don't know. Dash is more up to date with weather then I am." Apple Jack shrugged.

Rainbow flew out of an apple tree near the picnic table, "I'll tell you what happened to the snow!"

"Now Rainbow, how many times do Ah havta tell ya to stop sleepin' in our trees? They're apple trees, not yer bed," Applejack chided.

"What?" Soarin was curious on what happened.

Dash was upset. No upset didn't even begin to describe how she felt. No word did. "The order of snow clouds got mixed up with regular clouds. It takes too long to manually make snow clouds. So now there won't be snow. Nothing like this ever happened when I was in charge."

"Well have ya ehva thought that maybe not everypony is like ya. Everypony makes mistakes sometimes."

"What are we gonna do? Winter Wrap Up can't happen. I've never had a Hearth's Warming without snow."

"They'll fin' a way outta no way. Don't stress."

"Thanks for the advice. Bye AJ!"

☆☆☆☆☆

The weather factory was busy trying to make snow to no avail. "You suspect that if I replicate already existing snow flakes, we'll be able to produce snow. I'm not sure Ditzy. Using magic on natural processes like these doesn't work out too well in the end." Twilight looked through her book. "My magic won't pick up on each individual snow flakes, producing more then necessary."

Ditzy nodded, "Yes, I'm sure it'll work."

"I'm not sure. All evidence concludes that I shouldn't be doing this."

"Please princess. You're our only hope!" Ditzy begged, her golden puppy dog eyes being too cute to resist.

"Fine~," Twilight's resistance broke. "I'll try."

"Yay! Thanks princess!"

"Anytime Ditzy." Twilight focused her magical aura on the snow machine. The only thought in her mind was to replicate the pre-existing snow flakes by 100. Her aura disappeared showing that the spell was complete. She glanced around the room and the outside. "I don't think the spell worked. Sorry Ditzy. I told you, magic doesn't work on natural elements."

Ditzy had a look of disappointment plastered on her face. Until an idea came along. "Let me try something."

Twilight looked up from her book Magic And Natural Elements: What You Need To Know, "Go ahead, Ditzy."

Ditzy lifted her hind legs and bucked the machine back to December, which was next month. The impact from her kick, sent snow falling to the ground. Too much snow.

"Ditzy! What did you do?" Twilight said, abandoning her book.

"I just don't know what went wrong."

Alarms sounded off all over the weather factory. Flitter rushed into each room telling everypony to evacuate. "Cloud Chaser isn't going to like this," she kept muttering to herself.

☆☆☆☆☆

All that was left of the pie was a few measly crumbs. "What do you mean you don't like pie?" Soarin asked.

Dash rolled her eyes, "It means exactly what you think it means. I just don't like it."

"But it's so~ good~"

"No, to me it's pretty nasty."

First there was an explosion. Then, before they could blink, snow covered the whole of Ponyville.

☆☆☆☆☆

Soarin and Rainbow Dash flew to Dash's cloud mansion. "I need to consult Twilight and ask her what happened. Unbelievable."

Soarin suppressed a chuckle, "Well hey, at least you got your wish. Asked for snow, you got it."

"This was not what I meant. You can barely even walk to your house, let alone your home in all this snow."

"By the way, where will I be staying since it's almost night-time?" Soarin asked.

"I guess with me?" They landed on the front porch. Dash unlocked the door. Inside there were two sofas - on opposite ends - and a coffee table between them.

Soariin picked up a booklet laying on the couch labeled Pinkie's 25 Days Of Hearth's Warming Challenge . "Hey Rainbow, you should do this. It seems fun."

"Nah, I'm good. Seems pretty boring and uncool to me."

"Oh."

Dash picked up on the disappointed tone on Soarin's voice. "I'll look through it, it seems pretty interesting."

Soarin sat on the couch before patting a spot next to him, signifying that Dash should sit there. She complied. "How about we look through it together. It does intrigue me."

☆☆☆☆☆

The mail pony - who was a pegasus - delivered the morning paper and letters before flying off. Only it wasn't exactly the morning but the afternoon. News was traveling slow from the snow incident.

"Dash!" Soarin called from downstairs. "You might want to see this!"

"Five more minutes!" Dash lazily replied back, half sleep. Today was a Friday, meaning she could sleep in.

"You might want to see this! It's urgent!"

"Fine~!" Dash whined out, delirious. "But you have to make coffee!"

"Deal, just see this!"

After what seemed to be an eternity, Dash made it down the stairs and into the kitchen. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee greeted her. "Y'know I was just kidding when I said that, right?" You didn't have to make me coffee."

"No, but even if I did I would still keep my word."

"Okay then."

Soarin poured the coffee in to two mugs. Wonderbolt mugs. "We have quite the fan, don't we?" He smirked.

"For your information, I got those before I made it on the team."

"Whatever you say, Dash, whatever you say," he smirked.

"No, it's true, it's true!"

"I never said it wasn't."

A deadly silence ensued. "Anyway, read this." Soarin shoved what seemed to be a letter in Dash's face.

ᴅᴇᴀʀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴘᴏɴʏᴠɪʟʟᴇ,

ᴀꜱ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ʙᴇ ᴀᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴏꜰ, ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴀ ᴅᴀɴɢᴇʀᴏᴜꜱ ꜱɴᴏᴡꜱᴛᴏʀᴍ. ᴅᴜᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴀ ꜰᴏʀᴄᴇꜰɪᴇʟᴅ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴘᴜᴛ ᴜᴘ ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴇᴠᴇɴᴛ ᴘᴏɴɪᴇꜱ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴏɴʏᴠɪʟʟᴇ. ᴄᴏɴꜱᴇQᴜᴇɴᴛʟʏ, ɴᴏᴘᴏɴʏ ᴄᴀɴ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ᴇɪᴛʜᴇʀ. ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴀꜱ ɴᴏʀᴍᴀʟ ᴀꜱ ᴘᴏꜱꜱɪʙʟᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛʜ'ꜱ ᴡᴀʀᴍɪɴɢ ᴀꜱ ʏᴏᴜ ɴᴏʀᴍᴀʟʟʏ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ. ʟᴇᴛᴛᴇʀꜱ ᴍᴜꜱᴛ ʙᴇ ᴡʀɪᴛᴛᴇɴ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴇɴᴛ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ ᴅᴇᴄᴇᴍʙᴇʀ 1ꜱᴛ ᴇɴᴅꜱ.

ꜱᴏʀʀʏ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀʟʟ ɪɴᴄᴏɴᴠᴇɴɪᴇɴᴄᴇꜱ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴍᴀʏ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇᴅ.

ꜱɪɴᴄᴇʀᴇʟʏ,
ᴍᴀʏᴏʀ ᴍᴀʀᴇ

After re-reading the letter a couple of times, Rainbow still couldn't wrap her hoof around it. Even the coffee didn't prepare her for this. "Wait. That means we're stranded in Ponyville?" Soarin nodded sadly. It wasn't that she didn't like Ponyville. In fact she had chosen to live there on free will. And she had no problem staying there. But the loss of freedom, not being able to leave as often as she liked, was what irked her.

"That means that I'll have to spend Hearth's Warming here," Dash glared at him. "No offense but it would be different than I'm used to."

"None taken. I get what you're saying. I could never spend a holiday away from home." Rainbow gave a sympathetic look. "I jcan't even begin to imagine what that would feel like, and I won't."

☆☆☆☆☆

At least 50 complaints were issued throughout the remaining of the day. Mayor Mare had tried to get Twilight to speak with the angry ponies, but she refused to try and reason with ponies who were unreasonable.

"Everypony calm down!" Mayor Mare yelled furiously at the croud of pegasi at her door. "I said calm down! Doing this won't fix our predicament. Stop and leave at once!"

Twilight - who was hiding until the situation got into control - knew she had to take action at once. Using a voice amplifier spell she yelled as loud as she could, "Everypony stop and go home! Reacting like this doesn't make this situation resolve any faster. I'm really disappointed in all of you."

A random stallion surfaced from the crowd, "My family was going to visit!" He violently yelled.

Twilight was at the ends of her ropes. She was tired. The night time forcefield took away the majority of her energy. Yelling took the rest. All she wanted to do was sleep and resolve everything later.

Chaos was everywhere. Ponies were fighting. Not just ponies but other species too. Twilight's eyes glazed over the crowd. In the distance a black dragon along with an entourage of other mighty beasts were chasing a purple haired pony. Or she thought it was purple. She was so dirty it was hard to tell. Nopony was more mighty than the black dragon, with long claws and a big gold chain to match his ferocious look. It said 'woo woo', whatever that meant. He blew his fire over the purple haired pony until her mane was as black as tar. "That'll teach that equine not to mess with me!" He roared out.

That was the last straw for Twilight. She had to calm them down and fast. With a burst of magic everypony was frozen in place. "Stop! Look at yourselfs. Fighting and yelling. Would your family be proud of this? I would think not. Calm down. Everything's being sorted out as soon as it can." She released the poniees from her spell.

The pegasi and dragons returned to their homes. Twilight took a sigh of relief. But that relief was short lived. She called upon her royal guards to begin the process of clearing the snow so the earth ponies and unicorns weren't stranded in their homes.

☆☆☆☆☆

Pinkie Pie bounced through the snowy streets of Ponyville without a care in the world. Despite the fact the snow covered the first and almost all of the second floors in Ponyville. "Heya, Dashie!" She shouted cheerfully as she spotted her Rainbow fly past in a hurry.

"Hi Pinkie! Bye Pinkie!" She called out before realizing something. How in the world did Pinkie leave her house? And how was she not sinking into the snow? "Pinkie?"

Pinkie smiled oblivious, "Yeah, Pinkie Pie is my name! Baking sweets is my game!" She laughed. "Whatcha doin'?"

"But uh y-you can't leave. H-how did you leave? "

"Don't be silly. I left through the front door. Where is A J? I need some apples asap!" Pinkie looked left before checking right. Her voice fell into a serious whisper, "Don't ask why," she zipped off into the distance at a speed nopony knew was possible. As she jogged her memory she zoomed back even faster. "Silly me I forgot for you to tell me what you're doing. So~ whatcha doin'?"

"Looking for Twi!" Rainbow said as quick as she could. "Oh and AJ can't leave her house. Snow remember?"

"Aww~, I really needed those apples," Pinkie pouted. "Why're you looking for Twilight? I need answers now~! Gimme answers now~!" Pinkie whined.

Rainbow looked left into the distance. "Sorry. Gotta go!" Before Pinkie could say pie she was off.

"Wait~! Hey, how are you?" Pinkie stopped mid-whine to greet Soarin, who was flying at a leisurely pace.

"Tired."

☆☆☆☆☆

"Look, I don't have time for this. All you need to know is that I'm doing the best I can," Twilight said to Dash, who was exasperating her with endless questions.

"When will it be fixed? When can we see our friends? How do we know they're okay? Did you try clearing the snow?" A low growl from Twilight stopped Dash from asking any more questions.

"I said I'm working on it," Twilight pointed to a wooden box with a slit on top of it, obviously just for paper. "If you have a question or complaint leave it in the complaint box and please leave. I'll answer them later."

"But-"

"No buts. I'll answer them I promise."

"Okay," Dash filled out a small piece of paper, leaving it in the box before leaving. "Thanks for your help, Twi."

"Anytime, Dash."

Once she was gone Twilight rested her head on her desk. She was about to doze off when somepony opened her door, "Where did Dash go?" Soarin asked.

Twilight refrained from growling out of frustration. "She's on her way home."

"Thanks Twilight," he flew away.

Twilight had all the quiet she needed for the next few minutes, but there was one problem. She couldn't go to sleep.

They would all have to adjust to this. Good thing they all had friends to help them with it.

Author's Note:

This is the first chapter!!:pinkiehappy::derpytongue2: Stay tuned for more!!:raritywink: