• Published 30th Nov 2018
  • 8,087 Views, 901 Comments

Continuity Disrupted - Doug Graves



Twilight Sparkle arrives in Ponyville, as per the specific instruction of Princess Celestia, and becomes the Element of Magic. All according to plan. But one out of place character threatens to derail everything she has worked for.

  • ...
24
 901
 8,087

PreviousChapters Next
15 The Darkest Dream, Part Two

Princess Luna slips in between the seventeen figures standing still as statues. She inspects each figure closely as she says, "So, Sister, why art thou here again?" She looks up from her task, regarding her elder sister. "We do not care for the lack of trust it implies, and we thought thou had no power to affect dreams."

"I was alerted by my student, Twilight Sparkle, the Element of Magic. She interacted with Doug, and detailed his reaction to any mention or use of magic, as well as mention of you or Nightmare Moon. She was worried about him, and unsure of how to best proceed." Princess Celestia motions to Doug's armored form, "I have visited his dreams before, though they were never this robust. The few times I observed they were more disjointed, as if his subconscious mind is working through different views or situations."

"And were thou able interfere with his dreams before?" Princess Luna notes the shake of Princess Celestia's head as she glances around, no longer at the figures but the surrounding scenery. "It is remarkably detailed in some sections, but other aspects are completely absent." She motions to the non-existent ceiling, instead a dark void, "For instance, he must not be used to flying creatures, even after all this time, for he does not care to look up enough to add a ceiling, either wooden or a mis-matched sky."

"I always admired your attention to detail, Sister," Princess Celestia says, a soft smile. She joins her sister in staring at the void above, struggling to contain her desire to add in stars if only to make the scene more authentic. "What other things did you notice?"

"First," Princess Luna states, pointing a hoof at Doug's paused body, "are all humans this... libidinous?" Her hoof travels from the human to the eight foals, then to Celestia, and Twilight's presenting body. "We thought most mares happy with one foal, perhaps two, and stallions content with whatever number their mares decide. Judging by the current size of Equestria, most ponies are still comfortable with merely replacing their own numbers. Yet he fantasizes about adding in two more mares to his herd, having at least two foals with them, and this is just one dream focusing on another subject entirely!"

"I have never thought to ask," smirks Princess Celestia, "though when he was offered the chance for another to join, he declined." Princess Celestia taps a hoof to her chin, "Though this was years ago. Perhaps he has changed his mind, should the offer be made again."

Princess Luna smirks at Princess Celestia, "Art thou sure this is his dream, Sister?" Princess Luna concentrates, the image rewinding to Celestia saying, 'Our foal.' She points a hoof at the white alicorn's slightly enlarged belly and flanks, "Thou art remarkably comfortable with this scene. While we acknowledge that it is, perhaps, a too frequent occurrence, not many take it to this step during their fantasies. Our subjects believe it an impossibility. So, then, if thou hath not joined his herd in his dream, explain this. Neither thou nor Nightmare seemed to think thou had."

"Truly? I thought it was obvious." Princess Celestia motions to her own figure, "We believe he desires a foal with us. He certainly does not have my reaction correct, were I actually carrying his foal. Or that of any other." A smile spreads over Princess Celestia's muzzle, "Indeed, I would find myself quite unable to stop shouting it from every rooftop, were it to be the case." Princess Celestia shrugs, "I suppose I might have, as this dream starts with my being entrapped. I certainly would have agreed to nearly anything to keep her alive."

"Knowing how much thou desired it to happen, we are surprised thou has not managed the feat, in the thousand years of our absence." Princess Luna sighs, "Then again, with the difficulties we both faced, we are not surprised no progress has been made on that front. T'would be a sight not seen before in Equestria, should it happen." Princess Luna snorts, "Though, we have not heard thou deny the physical impossibility of having a foal with him as the reason this section is inaccurate."

Princess Celestia nods, "True."

Princess Luna sighs at the lack of explanation, "Why wouldst thou not wish to join his herd, then, if thou might fulfill both desires?" Princess Luna waves her hoof, the scene shifting to a very lightly detailed wedding between Celestia and Doug.

"Simple." Princess Celestia swipes her hoof, the dream shifting to an armor clad Celestia standing behind the dark alicorn. Princess Celestia motions to Nightmare Moon, "Doug has... a certain dread for what might happen to him and his herd were his presence and background more widely known. As more than just an oddity, that is. He prefers the quiet of farm life, and adding myself to Herd Apple would utterly destroy that. Even though it may fulfill the deep desire that I have."

Princess Celestia waves a hoof at the armor, "Despite the appearances here, Doug has a general distaste for the theatrical. He dislikes bringing too much attention to himself, and prefers to stay in the background. He must have some inkling of what could happen to him and his herd, were the details of their new positions widely celebrated. And he fears it, and the premise of this dream would completely remove that."

"A fascinating interpretation." Princess Luna remarks, "And it puts the dusking of Nightmare Moon in a completely different light." Princess Luna sighs, "Though, we fear we may come to join thou in that desire, before too long. It t'was never as strong with us as it t'was for thou. Or, as we have learned, the ascended Love. How hast thou done it, conquered that innate craving?"

Princess Celestia shrugs. "Before now? Study. Devoting myself to the running of Equestria. Previous lovers, certainly, though after a certain point there was an understanding of what could not be." She shakes her head with a heavy sigh, "Nothing has filled that void." Light flares across her eyes as she smiles, "Though, with Doug's inspiration and assistance we have discovered that there may be a general solution available. I will discuss the details with you later, in a more appropriate setting."

"Truly?!" Princess Luna's eyes briefly twitch, her stunned expression quickly fading. "We look forward to this discussion."

"And I as well." Princess Celestia nuzzles her sister, the two briefly smiling into each other's eyes.

After a time Princess Celestia pulls away; she motions to the paused white alicorn, returning to explaining the dream. "Ultimately, I believe him to be working through the various ways his experience could have gone." Princess Celestia walks around Nightmare Moon, "And I think this is merely him playing through one of these scenarios. Though he is certainly playing through the worst possible scenario, perhaps, that it could have manifested."

Princess Luna nods, "Indeed. T'was my second observation; that by surrendering his will to ours, as he depicts the Nightmare, his choice would ultimately destroy him and his herd. Or turn him into such a depraved monster that he should have taken the quick death. It speaks volumes of his loyalty." Rage flashes across Princess Luna's face as the scene flickers to Nightmare Moon standing above five chained foals. Princess Luna thunders, "We would have treated our subjects far better than this!"

"I believe you," Princess Celestia replies, "which is the primary reason that I surrendered myself to you in the first place. Well, that, and to spare Equestria the destruction a prolonged battle would have wrought. He got that much right." Princess Celestia sighs, "Though I would not have enjoyed being imprisoned in the Sun or the Moon. And I also think you agree with me; that in addition to playing through a scenario, this is wish fulfillment. He is able to gain the foal that he desires with myself; perhaps only subconsciously, perhaps not. But by having my dream version keep the product of our union a secret, and then 'forced' to work under Nightmare Moon? You can be certain that his version of Nightmare Moon would not allow me to celebrate this truly momentous occasion as I would were this the case today."

Princess Luna nods, "Yes. Even... even with thou sworn subordinate, we would still fear any threat to our supremacy. He did get that right about us. Though sections are so blatantly over the top; why would we need a high executioner?" Princess Luna scans the dagger closely, a slight crackle of blue along the edge despite the rest of the dream being paused. "Of what benefit is there in the deaths of foals? Especially as depicted! It would do nothing but drive them against us!" Princess Luna glares at Nightmare Moon, stomping a hoof against the floor. She sighs, "Thou interprets this in the same light, yes? Had the Nightmare prevailed, we would have left them to their devices, beaten and subdued, with perhaps the most token of agreements to no longer oppose us. Not the formality of swearing allegiance to us individually, on pain of death of them or their loves. Thou think that it is purely to give himself a villain to save them from?" She snorts, "If one could consider this being 'saved'."

"Indeed, if unconventional." The scene shifts again; Princess Celestia points a hoof at the armor covering herself and Doug as they kneel in front of Nightmare Moon. "He is allowed to play the savior, despite the circumstances. Imagine the end result was, for all intents and purposes, intended. How does this play conclude?"

"They art together. Whole." Princess Luna motions at Nightmare Moon, "Under the command of a new leader, with the addition of new members, but... thou thinkest that is intended as well?"

"I see no reason it is not." The scene shifts again so Princess Celestia can point a hoof at Applejack, now clad in undented armor, "His lead mare commands him at home and on the farm. His second job consists almost entirely of working out solutions for problems other ponies bring to him. He is certainly comfortable being told what to do, and this is merely an extension of that."

"Thou believe we would be as fine a leader as thou art? We are honored." Princess Luna bows slightly, quickly getting back up with a smirk. "Perhaps returning to the throne will not be as arduous as we imagined."

"I should wish as much, sister; I am merely sorry other ponies did not give you the recognition you deserve." Princess Celestia turns back to the image, now showing the final image with Twilight flicking her tail to the side. She smirks, "Perhaps he panics at a prolonged and painful process of pursuing a partner and proposing."

Princess Luna snorts, "Perhaps thou spends too much time around Laughter."

Princess Celestia says neutrally, "No comment." She smiles, "Though I could see the argument for him desiring a force, such as Nightmare Moon, removing the creatures that hold sway over him; a revolution of sorts, but that doesn't fit with the rest of the scene. He is happy with the status quo. And would do whatever is in his power to maintain that. Hence his surrendering to a power he ought not to."

"Agreed; it flies against the rest of the dream. And with eternal night?" Princess Luna snorts as she looks to the blank sky, "We know our moon lacks the raw output necessary. Though life would continue, especially if it remains in the sky constantly. Competent farmers and weatherponies would be in even higher demand. Why give up such an asset?"

"Indeed."

After several seconds Princess Luna turns, "Why doth thou linger? Is there more thou wish't to discuss?"

Princess Celestia shakes her head, a heavy sigh escaping her lips, "I am disappointed that I am unable to help either my student or my subject, as this foray has given me little additional insight into how to best help him overcome his fears. He is already surrounded by those that love and care for him, and will not allow him to retreat into dark depths. It appears I must play the mysterious mentor once again, withholding my supposed insights because I wish to teach my student that she is capable of figuring out the difficult problems herself."

"Thou shouldn'test be silly, Sister." Princess Luna smirks. "Thou always lovest playing the mysterious mentor."

Princess Celestia returns a smirk no less as large, "I do, do I not?" as she fades away.

The smile slowly fades from Princess Luna's muzzle as she turns back to the final scene. She resolutely walks to the paused Nightmare Moon figure, one tear flowing down her face. Her horn flares; the blue tear pulls away from her body, doubling in size again and again as it glows with a purple magic. It shimmers as it continues to expand, an aurora of stars outlined in purple. Princess Luna's horn winks out, the rip in reality darting around on its own accord.

Princess Luna vows, "We will never forget what we could have done," as the tear pierces into her skull, disappearing without a mark. Princess Luna collapses to the ground, weeping as her own nightmare consumes her.

"Never forgive."

PreviousChapters Next