• Published 30th Nov 2018
  • 8,088 Views, 901 Comments

Continuity Disrupted - Doug Graves



Twilight Sparkle arrives in Ponyville, as per the specific instruction of Princess Celestia, and becomes the Element of Magic. All according to plan. But one out of place character threatens to derail everything she has worked for.

  • ...
24
 901
 8,088

PreviousChapters Next
6 The Last One Standing, Part One

Rarity delicately places a hoof on Doug's side as he finishes the pancakes. "Darling, would you like us to not use magic around you at all? If you think that would help, I am sure Twilight wouldn't mind either."

Doug shakes his head as Twilight nods, the human saying, "No. No, I don't want you to hinder yourselves like that. It's just..." he sighs, one hand rubbing his temples while the other returns to Rarity's mane, "Just try to keep it small, okay?" He glances at Twilight, "And nothing besides levitation. I think I can handle that."

"Okay, Doug," Rarity says, her voice softly cooing, "now, look at me please." Doug glances down as Rarity's horn lights, the knob of the burner turning off. He flinches slightly, Rarity's hoof rubbing circles on his side. "There, darling, that wasn't so bad, hmm?" Doug slowly breathes in and out, returning a small smile to Rarity.

"Would you like me to try?" tentatively asks Twilight. At Doug's hesitant nod her horn lights, a bit more of a reaction as Doug's breath catches in his throat. Twilight levitates a pencil, holding it at arms length from the human.

Doug sighs before he forces a smile, "Look, I appreciate the help, I really do. But I need to get back to work, and I'm sure the same is true of both of you." Doug grimaces as he snatches the pencil from Twilight's purple aura, a wary look at the object. He glances at Twilight as her stomach rumbles, his demeanor getting more relaxed, "If you'd like, I can whip us up some lunch before you leave. A little early for that, so maybe just a snack?"

Twilight grins, "I'd love a daffodil and daisy sandwich! Extra mayonnaise, if you please!"

Spike grins, rubbing his claws together, "Got any topaz?"

"Hmm," Doug says, glancing at Rarity. At the shake of her head, "I don't think I have any here; you'll have to bum them off of the ever regal Rarity once she gets back to the Boutique." Doug lifts her hoof as Rarity rolls her eyes, "And what can I get the lovely Madame?"

"Oh, stop it, you, you're making Spike blush," the unicorn says with a grin as Doug delicately pecks her hoof, her light red cheeks a sharp contrast to Spike's pensive look. "I'll take the same as Twilight."

"Sure thing. Spike, you know what you want instead?"

"Hay fries? Extra crispy!" Spike huffs at Doug's pause, "Oh, come on! You don't have those, either?"

"Maybe not fries, but I've got some leftover hay chips." Doug offers a conciliatory smile, "Also, I might have a little something special to add."

Spike's eyes grow wide as saucers, "Fire Sauce?" At Doug's nod Spike pumps a fist and eagerly shouts, "Woohoo!" at the promised treat. He leans over, elbowing Twilight in the foreleg, "Can you believe it? I told you this town was awesome!"

Doug laughs as he walks up to the pantry, "Don't let Rainbow hear you say that, or she'll think you're trying to steal her thunder!" He quickly returns, three plates loaded with the requested lunches. Both unicorns levitate their sandwiches, Doug barely reacting, as Spike dips one of the hay chips into the small bowl of Fire Sauce, a loud belch interrupting Twilight from her meal.

"Spike!" Twilight admonishes, a glare at the only slightly recalcitrant dragon. "Watch your manners when we're guests!"

"But, I thought that was a compliment to the chef!" Spike huffs, pouting as he eats another chip laden with dip. "Besides!" he says, bits of hay flying out of his mouth, "it's probably a dragon custom! Or it should be." Doug bows as he returns to the kitchen, returning with a plate stacked high with pancakes, carrots and greens.

"I wish I could say I find the dip as delightful as you do," smirks Rarity, "but I suppose I shall try to give my compliments to the chef for this meal!" She looks down at the crumbs of what used to be her sandwich. She gulps, what might have passed for a burp by a grasshopper escaping her dainty lips.

"You call that a compliment?" Spike grins, a huge intake of breath before his eyes bulge out. He gags, then coughs, a huge belch expelling a column of green smoke and fire into the air.

"FIRE!" shouts Doug, his plate clattering to the table as he sprints into the kitchen. Twilight casually watches the flames dissipate into nothing as they rise into the air, Rarity hurriedly backing away from the table as Spike breathes a sigh of relief. All three watch as a letter coalesces out of the smoke, dropping into Spike's waiting claws. Doug dashes back into the dining room, holding a bucket of water at the ready as he scans for any lingering remnants.

Spike clears his throat as he opens the letter; Doug raises an eyebrow, glancing at Twilight who confirms that everything is okay with a nod. Doug settles back, holding a hand to his chest as Spike clears his throat and reads:

"Hear ye, hear ye! Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce the Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot, on the 21st day of February.

Princess Celestia, in recognition of her service to the Crown, cordially extends an invitation to Twilight Sparkle plus one guest. P-"

Rarity and Twilight Sparkle both gasp, shouting in unison, "THE GRAND GALLOPING GALA!!"

Rarity's horn lights, pulling the nearest chair underneath her as she nearly faints, "Oh, my heavens! You cannot be serious!"

Spike burps again, expelling another burst of green flame that coalesces into two golden pieces of paper. "Look! Two tickets!"

Twilight Sparkle practically oozes glee, "Wow, great! I've never been to the Gala! Have you, Spike?"

"No," Spike groans, rolling his eyes, "and I plan to keep it that way. I don't want any of that girly frilly frou-frou nonsense." He waves a claw dismissively, tossing the tickets onto the floor.

Twilight sighs, "Aww, come on, Spike. A dance would be nice!" She levitates the tickets over, placing them on the table next to her plate and uneaten sandwich.

"NICE!?" Rarity exclaims, bolting out of the chair. She plants a hoof on Twilight's chest, "The Grand Galloping Gala is not nice. It is not a dance. It is only THE most extravagant affair held in Equestria! And it is only held in Canterlot Castle but once every several years! Ponies dream of being invited! My most beautiful work is commissioned for the one time a pony is invited to the Gala!" She backs away, her tone losing its edge and becoming wistful, "I myself have never had the opportunity to attend, but wouldn't it just be amazing? The society, the culture, the glamour! It's where I truly belong!"

"Oh, please," Doug says, interrupting Rarity's gushing about the event as she takes a breath. "That sounds like the most pretentious group of... ponies imaginable. No offense, Twilight." Doug grabs the bucket of water, walking back to the kitchen while he shakes his head.

"None taken," the purple unicorn replies, half paying attention as she rereads the official letter.

"Oh, come now, darling," Rarity says, nuzzling Doug as he walks by, "It would be a fabulous way to network, to finally get the Carousel Boutique off the ground and into the limelight! Imagine! I would stroll through the Gala, and everypony would wonder, 'Who is that mysterious mare?' They would never guess that I was just a simple pony from little old Ponyville. Why, I would cause such a sensation that I would be invited for an audience with Princess Celestia herself!"

"Wow," Twilight says, awkwardly scratching the floor with a hoof, "you've been planning this for a while now, haven't you?"

"Sadly, I have a lot of free time at the Boutique," Rarity sighs, a forlorn look towards Canterlot Castle. "Especially when I'm designing new dresses for the nobles. But, besides, this would be the perfect way for me to introduce my designs on a more personal scale! And, when ponies saw the excellent quality of my work?" Her eyes beam, staring off into the distance.

"Well, when you put it that way," Twilight says, glancing at Spike, "How would you like to go with me?"

"Oh, darling," Rarity exclaims, the front door opening as she wraps the unicorn in a hug, "that would be absolutely wonderful! You must take me to the Grand Galloping Gala!"

"The Grand Galloping Gala?" Applejack nearly shouts as she walks into the dining room. Her eyes go wide as she spots the two tickets on the table. "Twilight? You actually have tickets to The Grand Galloping Gala?" She loudly cheers, prancing in place, "Land sakes! Ah bet that Ah could drum up a whole heap of business for Sweet Apple Acres! Ponies would come from all 'round to chow down on our tasty vittles!" Her muzzle curls into a grin, "And that sure would help with a lot of the expenses we have 'round here. Those fillies ain't cheap, ya know?" Applejack waggles her hips back and forth, "And we could catch up on a lot of those big repairs we've been putting off. Like replacing that saggy old roof! And Big Mac's saggy old plow! And Granny Smith could replace that saggy old hip!"

Applejack sighs, mirroring Rarity as she stares off into the distance, "Why, Ah'd give mah left hind leg to go to that Gala."

Doug raises an eyebrow as he walks back into the dining room, "Really?"

Twilight stammers, "Oh, well, um," as her eyes bounce back and forth between Applejack and Rarity, nervously pawing the ground.

Rarity coughs, "Well, as much as I would hate to see you crippled like that, Applejack, there's only one problem. You see, Twilight has already offered me the extra ticket! I'm dreadfully sorry, of course, but you know how much this means to me!"

"Yeah, well, it means a lot to me, too!" Applejack snarls. "You only managed to snag that ticket from Twilight here because you saw her with it first!"

"That's ridiculous!" Rarity shouts, Twilight hunkering down as Rarity and Applejack nearly butt heads. All three turn, surprised looks as the front door bursts open.

Rainbow Dash flies in to the room, a friendly, "Hey, everypony!" She glances at Twilight, her muzzle briefly curling to a scowl before she shakes her head. She smiles around the room, "Just had to keep those afternoon showers from becoming morning showers, you know?" She drops the weather manuals onto the table, grabbing the unattended sandwich and scarfing it down before she spots the plate of pancakes. She grins, flying over and nuzzling Doug.

"Yes?" The human says, a grim stare at the pegasus. Rarity returns to her contest and pushes Applejack, snarling right back.

"Thanks for making me lunch?" Rainbow says, beaming a smile up at Doug. "Bestest buddy?"

"You can have half," Doug says with a grin, wrapping some of the greens in a pancake. "Happy?" Applejack pushes Rarity back, nearly bowling over the unicorn.

"Eh. I guess that'll work. For now." Rainbow grabs one of the pancakes, cramming it into her mouth. She rapidly chews before she notices the two tickets on the table. Her mouth drips bits of pancakes as she reads the golden writing to herself, her eyes gradually getting bigger and bigger. She turns, wide eyes looking at Doug as she shouts, "The Grand Galloping Gala!"

Doug groans, "Don't tell me you want to go, too." Rarity's horn lights, Applejack's eyes going wide as Rarity pushes back, now assisted by her magic.

"Are you foaling me?" Rainbow throws her hooves into the air, "The Grand Galloping Gala is only, like, the event to go to! And you know who's going to be there?"

Doug deadpans, "The Princess? Es?" Rarity drags a chair between herself and Applejack. Both ponies put a hoof on the chair; Rarity's horn stays lit, the two then struggling to push over the other's foreleg. Twilight sits back, a confused look at the two wrestling ponies.

Rainbow rolls her eyes, "The Wonderbolts! Duh! They only perform at the Gala every year!" She grabs the tickets, reading over them again before spotting the letter. She drops the tickets back onto the table, reading through the fancy writing. She mutters to herself, "February... February... Hey, that'll give me enough time to make sure I'm in top shape!" She beams, "And I'll be able to perfect my routine!"

Doug raises an eyebrow, "So, you wouldn't go with your old routine that you used before?" Applejack and Rarity continue struggling, Rarity's horn beginning to shower sparks everywhere. Doug starts to glance towards the flicking lights before rapidly turning back, shuddering as he locks his eyes on Rainbow. Twilight returns to Doug at the table, sitting down and looking around for her sandwich.

Rainbow grunts out, "Well, you can't just reapply with the same stunts, you know? I've got to use something new! Something even more spectacular! Maybe I can use a few of my better tricks to lead up to it, things that I know I can nail perfectly. But the finale will have to be something truly awesome!"

Doug nods his head as he rolls up another pancake, "To impress the Wonderbolts? Well, if somepony can pull it off!" Rainbow raises a pancake, bumping it against Doug's. The chair groans underneath Applejack and Rarity's weight as they strain against each other, pushing even harder. Twilight picks up the empty plate, rubbing her stomach as if trying to decide whether or not she was the one to eat her sandwich.

"You know it!" Rainbow's eyes beam, glistening as she waxes on, "I can see it now! Everypony would be watching the sky, their eyes riveted on The Wonderbolts! But then, in would fly Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow makes little sputtering noises as she pantomimes flying around and spinning about. She shifts to zooming noises, her wings fluttering back and forth, "First off, I would draw their attention with my Super Speed Strut!"

Doug smiles, "Hey, I remember that one!" Applejack snarls, her gaze locked on Rarity's eyes as the unicorn bares her teeth right back.

Rainbow rapidly nods, "Yup! Then, I would mesmerize them with my Filly Flash! And for my grand finale, the Buccaneer Blaze! The ponies would go wild!" Rainbow beams, a euphoric haze in her eyes, "The Wonderbolts would insist that my signature moves be incorporated into their routine, and then welcome me as their newest member!" Rainbow happily sighs, a smile on her muzzle as she looks around the farmhouse for a few seconds, finally spotting the owner of the tickets. "Don't you see, Twilight?"

Doug raises an eyebrow, "Weren't the Wonderbolts, like, here yesterday? What happened then?" The two wrestling ponies break their match as the front door opens, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie walking in. The two newcomers raise their eyebrows at the competition going on before walking over to Doug. Twilight shakes her head, a slight frown at her still grumbling stomach.

Rainbow awkwardly scratches her head, a sheepish look away from Doug, "Well, um, I may have met up with Captain Spitfire. And a few of the other Wonderbolts in attendance." She sighs, "But, well, I'm too old now to go through the expedited application. Since they wouldn't be getting as many prime years out of me." Rainbow's glower fades as she looks back up, a hopeful smile, "But... maybe, if I awe everypony there? They'll have to let me in!" She looks over at Twilight, "You gotta take me! This could be my one chance!" Her wings flap as she takes to the air, the tickets blowing in the breeze.

Both tickets land on Fluttershy's flank, the mare shrieking as she bolts into the kitchen. Rainbow Dash snickers as she grabs the last of Doug's pancakes, scarfing it down. Doug gets up, concern on his face as he goes into the kitchen to check on Fluttershy.

Pinkie Pie stares at the two tickets on the ground. A few seconds later she says, "Hey, those aren't bats!" She flips the tickets over, "Wait, these are..." Her eyes get bigger and bigger, shouting, "Tickets to The Grand Galloping Gala! It's the most amazing incredible tremendous super-fun wonderful terrifically humongous party in all of Equestria! I've always always always wanted to go!" Rainbow Dash plants a hoof on her face as Pinkie Pie launches into a song.

In the kitchen, Doug slowly strokes Fluttershy's mane, the mare cowering in the corner. "Hey, 'Shy," he quietly says, Pinkie Pie's song only somewhat muffled, "Are you okay? It was just a few pieces of paper."

"Oh," comes the timid response. Fluttershy shakes as she looks up at Doug, "It just... the rustling of the paper, and the way it landed on my flank... It reminded me of the timber wolves."

Doug slowly nods his head, rubbing his hand along her spine. "Just the light touch?" he asks, his hand creeping closer and closer to the faint scars hidden under her coat. "I never noticed it before."

"Well, I don't think you're going to attack me," Fluttershy says, glancing back at her flank. "So it doesn't trigger the same reaction. I know your touch." She snuggles up next to Doug, his hand slipping into her soft mane, "It's just... the brush of air against my flank, followed by something unexpected touching me." She shudders into his arms, slowly relaxing as his hand rubs against her back.

Twilight walks into the kitchen, scowling as Pinkie Pie pronks after her, spouting a non-stop stream of nonsense words. Twilight pauses as she spots Doug and Fluttershy sitting there, coughing and saying, "I don't suppose you can make me another sandwich? I... I'm still hungry."

Pinkie Pie continues unabated, "And sundaes and sun beams and sarsaparilla. And I'll get to play my favorite-tist of favorite fantabulous games like Pin the Tail on the Pony! Oh, thank you, Twilight! Going to the Grand Galloping Gala with you? It's the most wonderfulest gift ever!"

Doug nods at Twilight, a quick hug to Fluttershy as she drops to her hooves. Doug sifts through the fridge, gathering the ingredients, gritting his eyes against Pinkie Pie's enthusiastic torrent.

Fluttershy pauses, gaping at Twilight. Her head cranes as she peers at the dining room table, spotting the two tickets. "Um, are those what I think they are?"

Pinkie Pie nods fervently, "YES! Yes they are! I can't believe it, but Twilight is taking ME to the GRAND GALLOPING GALA in Canterlot!"

Twilight stammers, "Um," as she holds a hoof up.

Fluttershy sheepishly looks to the side, "Oh. Well, um, okay. I guess." She sighs, "It's just... it would be very nice. But that's okay."

Pinkie Pie nods once, putting a comforting hoof on Fluttershy. "I know, 'Shy. I wish we all could go with Twilight to the Grand Galloping Gala."

Fluttershy nods, "I... yes. It... it would have been perfect."

Twilight raises an eyebrow at Fluttershy, "You want to go to the Gala?"

Fluttershy eagerly nods, "Oh, yes. I mean, no. Well, actually, kind of, or, not to the. You see, it's not so much the Grand Galloping Gala as it is the wondrous private gated garden that surrounds the dance. The flowers-"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it," Twilight says with a sigh, Fluttershy quieting down. "It's beautiful, the flora is great, the fauna is swell, I get it." She looks around the room, the other three mares staring at her from the open doorway. She smiles as Doug hands her a second sandwich, her muzzle curling up as she takes a bite. She huffs, "I don't suppose you all are here for more food, too."

Rainbow Dash raises a hoof, "I'd like some more pancakes!"

Applejack snorts,"Oh, Rainbow, Ah don't think you ever stop eating. No, Twilight, we want to know who gets the extra ticket! Ah need it for drumming up more business for Sweet Apple Acres!"

Rainbow Dash pushes Applejack to the side, "Living the dream!"

Pinkie Pie pushes past Applejack and Rainbow Dash, "Best Party Ever!"

Rarity sticks her head into the group, "Find my Prince!"

Fluttershy meekly says, "Um... See the animals?"

Twilight retreats away from the five ponies, "Stop, stop, stop! I can't think with all this noise! I'm sorry, but I can't make a decision like this just yet. I need time to think, and to finish this meal." She shoos away the five ponies with her hoof, "So, please, let me make this decision in peace."

The five mares sigh, sheepishly walking back to the front door. Applejack turns, "Well, Twilight, Ah want you make the choice you feel is right."

Twilight smiles, "Yes. Me too. Except, Rarity. Can you stay?" The five ponies turn, Rarity with a confused expression as the rest of them glare. Twilight quickly adds, "Oh, um, I'm not giving her the ticket. Not yet, at least. So you don't have to worry about that."

The ponies slowly nod, Rainbow looking up to the sky. Rainbow says, "Well, we better hurry, if we want to beat the showers." She glumly adds, "And I never got my extra pancakes."

Applejack lightly nudges the pegasus, "Ah'll bring ya round something, Rainbow, but you better go make sure the clouds are starting right. Ah'd hate for it to start early or something, while Ah'm getting back to Ponyville."

Rarity and Spike walk to the kitchen as the other four exit the house. "You wanted to ask me something, darling?"

PreviousChapters Next