• Published 30th Nov 2018
  • 8,087 Views, 901 Comments

Continuity Disrupted - Doug Graves



Twilight Sparkle arrives in Ponyville, as per the specific instruction of Princess Celestia, and becomes the Element of Magic. All according to plan. But one out of place character threatens to derail everything she has worked for.

  • ...
24
 901
 8,087

PreviousChapters Next
63 The Arena Champion, Part Two

Applejack stares at Spike, her jaw hanging slightly open. Did… did he seriously suggest that? There’s no way she would force Twilight or Trixie to give up joining the herd, or leave Ponyville, or any nonsense like that! She snorts, eyes narrowing at Spike as she tries to remind herself - he’s just a colt, hasn’t thought through what he’s asking.

Trixie’s confident smirk at facing Twilight in the Iron Derby, or whatever they had called it, quickly fades as she watches anger flash across Twilight’s face. Trixie takes a cautious step back as that anger is replaced by a resolute confidence, and an apologetic glance towards her that says, ‘sorry about this, but I’m going to do what I have to do.’ Trixie turns a worried face to Applejack, her muzzle paling to the same light gray as her mane as the lead mare of the herd doesn’t immediately object.

For Twilight, her immediate reaction is one of doubt. Can she beat Trixie? Her reserves might be bigger, and her repertoire of spells larger. But Trixie is a wily trickster, able to show up more powerful opponents through clever and competent use of her own spells. And it’s an earth pony competition! Trixie certainly has her beat on several physical attributes, since she had to drag her wagon around for years. Does she even stand a chance?

Wait, what would possess Spike to propose that in the first place? Does he despise Trixie or something? Or one of the mares in the herd? Is he afraid he wouldn’t be able to date one of the fillies or something? Or, he doesn’t want Twilight to be with the rest of the mares, her fellow Elements of Harmony? Or be with Doug?

Her doubt is quickly replaced by a flash of undisguised anger. How dare Spike try to manipulate her like that! If he has a problem with her actions, he should just tell her! Not prevaricate around the issue like he is trying to hide something! She snorts, tearing her head away from Doug as she shakes her mane in a brief fit of rage.

But, when did she give him a chance to do that? She literally told him just now, with no warning or notification or anything. And, aside from a couple times Doug has been over, she never hinted that joining the Apple Herd was something she was planning on doing. He had learned just at the same time that everypony else did! Well, minus Applejack and Rarity, and it looks like they told Rainbow. And possibly Fluttershy. And Pinkie Pie looks like she already knew. But still! It had to have been obvious, right?

Well, maybe it was, and maybe not. After her failed attempt at soliciting a reaction from Doug she hadn’t really pursued that angle of their relationship, though it was still fun when he came over and talked politics or magic. Did Spike notice that, or had she kept him busy with errands and reshelving library books? Twilight sighs, pulling away from Doug to walk towards Spike, her head hanging down slightly.

Applejack glances around as the rest of the herd inch their way towards her. She says, loud enough for everypony to hear, her voice trembling only a hair, “Well, that’s an… interesting suggestion, Spike. Ah hadn’t thought of that.” She restlessly paws at the ground as Doug gives her ear a rough scratch, practically dragging her head to him.

“We aren’t seriously considering that, are we?” Doug whispers to Applejack, directly in her ear. “That’s ridiculous!”

“Of course Ah ain’t considerin’ it!” Applejack whispers back, almost insulted Doug might even sort of insinuate that she would.

“Now, wait just a second,” Rainbow Dash says, watching Twilight’s confident walk over to Spike. The group quiets down, ears perking forward to listen.

Twilight sighs as she settles down next to Spike, a soft smile at the defiant dragon. Her eyes slowly trace over him, his eyes staring back impassively. How his arms are crossed in front of him and held slightly away, as if he is readying himself to push her if needed. The barest flinch backwards as her mouth opens, like she is going to berate him for standing up for himself, for daring to do something on his own.

Like she normally does. She might have her reasons - he’s young and inexperienced, not used to the uncloistered life, surrounded by ponies that aren’t her. Not that those don’t also apply to her, but he’s a dragon in a land of ponies. If it wasn’t for her status as Princess Celestia’s personal student, how many would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt? Is she willing to extend the same to him now?

Spike,” Twilight says, immediately regretting the slight hint of annoyance in her tone. She tries again, softer this time, “Spike. Is that what you want?”

Spike’s arms tighten against his body, his frown and furrowed brows deepening.

“This must have come across as pretty sudden, right?” Twilight pauses again to give Spike a chance to respond, though he remains silent. “But, ever since we became the Elements of Harmony, and maybe even before that, I’ve been drawn to this group of Friends. Who have shown me, and show me, and will continue to show me what true Friendship is like. I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to show you how much they mean to me.”

Spike merely grunts.

Twilight sighs, her eyes briefly closing as she prepares herself. “And, if by competing in this competition against Trixie, knowing that my relationship with those Friends is on the line? If that proves to you how important this is to me, then so be it. I accept your rule, Spike; I’m willing to risk losing my friends in order to fight for them. Because I want you to know how important you are to me, too.”

A solitary tear beads at the lower corner of Twilight’s eye, a hoof coming up to flick it away. She forces a smile to her muzzle, inwardly grimacing. She doesn’t want to risk losing her Friends - including, for the moment, Trixie. She nods resolutely to Spike, standing back up as she looks to Trixie, an apologetic yet forceful gleam in her eyes.

Spike’s eyes widen; he thought Twilight would call it off, not go through with it! His mouth opens, but he can’t force any words out. A claw comes up but his objection goes unnoticed, Twilight turned away from him. He coughs, trying to clear his throat, to let Twilight know he is sorry.

“Well, Trixie,” Twilight states, a competitor’s respectful nod to her opponent. “It’s a good thing your house is done, because you’ll need it at the end of the day.”

Trixie smirks right back, “And here the Great and Powerful Trixie was willing to loan you the use of her house, because you are the one who will be needing it.”

Trixie and Twilight puff themselves up, standing up straight and smugly regarding the other. Until Trixie sticks her tongue out, her confident expression immediately returning.

Rainbow whispers to Applejack, “See, that energy right there? That’s what I was hoping to see. Otherwise, with nothing on the line? Twilight would just forfeit, since she doesn’t care - and we don’t really care - about the herd order thing. But this?” She motions to the two unicorns, “This will be fun to watch.”

“Twilight?” Spike’s voice rings out, full of doubt and worry. The dragon is sheepishly kicking at the roof with one foot, his claws now clasped behind his back. He stares down, unable to meet Twilight’s gaze as she walks over.

Trixie takes the opportunity to dart over to Doug and Applejack, hurriedly whispering, “You aren’t seriously considering this, are you? Trixie does not wish to leave Ponyville, to leave you, like this!”

Applejack’s “Of course we ain’t,” draws a loud huff from Rainbow Dash and a quieter grunt from Pinkie Pie and Rarity.

The herd turns to the latter two, Rarity saying, “What? I want to see Twilight and Trixie at their best, too. I just wish the stakes weren’t so high.”

Fluttershy adds, “And you know they’ll feel bad if they lose, and think that they’ll have to leave, and then find out that we never intended for the loser to leave in the first place.”

Pinkie Pie says, quietly for the normally boisterous mare, “You don’t think they’ll be happy they don’t have to leave, and get to stay?”

Fluttershy shakes her head, “Oh, no. They would be furious.” She shies down a little, “At least, I would be.” The rest of the ponies nod at that, going back to listening to Twilight.

“Hey, Best Assistant Ever,” Twilight says, her own bright smile failing to draw one out of Spike. “You doing okay?” She lowers herself again, trying to get on eye level with the dragon she’s been raising since day one.

Spike sighs, finally breaking out of his scales to look up at Twilight. His voice trembles a little, “Twilight? I guess… I guess, I wanted to know. Why did you wait until I left to make a decision like this? Is it because you knew I’d try to talk you out of it? Like I’m doing right now? Because you’re worried that Doug isn’t the right stallion for you?”

“Those are all perfectly good objections, Spike,” Twilight says, her smile not fading from her muzzle, while Spike’s eye narrow slightly. “Would you like me to respond to them now?” Spike shakes his head, “Or did you want to say anything else?”

Spike looks around at the seven other creatures watching him. Who would be the new members of his family, along with a whole host of younger sisters. And it’s not like he objected to any of them, or didn’t get along with them. In fact, he’d be able to see a lot more of some of them! But, is this really the best way to do that?

“Twilight,” Spike starts slowly, “it’s been you raising me my entire life. I mean, Princess Celestia helped out some, when she could, while you were at her school. But since then? It’s been us. Just the two of us. You never needed some stallion in your life to stay at home with me, and I’ve always been there for you when you needed me. Why now?”

Spike’s rant continues, growing a little louder, “Why did you wait for me to leave to make a decision like this? Why didn’t you ask me what I wanted? How I feel about you changing everything? I mean, what if I said that I was starting a herd with Sweetie Belle?” Spike gasps slightly at the admission but continues regardless, “What would you have done? Would you have just gone along with it, or would you have tried to talk me out of it, or at least gotten me to slow down and consider all the ramifications?”

Rarity’s eyes raise; not as bad as a Diamond Dog, but a dragon? Even though she likes Spike, could that even work?

Twilight waits, making sure Spike is done. She smiles as he cautiously looks up at her, waiting to see if she is going to yell at him, or send him back to the library, or slap him with a hoof. When none of those things happen he sits back slightly, his claws relaxing and going to his sides.

Twilight quietly says, “I’m sorry, Spike. I should have thought about how this would affect you. I was thinking about myself, and what I thought would be the best course of action for me.”

Spike smiles at Twilight, puffing his chest up.

“But, I know that I am meant to be here. To be with these mares, and to do great things with them. And that isn’t going to change in a day, or a week, or in eight years. Plus,” Twilight winks at Doug, “it’ll give us that much more time to get to know each other.”

“Yeah, probably didn’t need to be reminded of that,” Spike says, rolling his eyes at Twilight’s chuckle. Twilight turns to go back to the rest of the herd, Spike clearing of his throat getting her to pause. “Twilight,” Spike says slowly, sighing as he shakes his head. “I don’t think you or Trixie should have to leave. It was a stupid rule anyway.” Twilight turns back to Spike, smiling as she nods. “But, you still better beat her. I don’t want my dam being junior mare!”

Twilight smirks, “Oh, you don’t have to worry about that, Spike. I’m going to give it my all!” She walks, along with Spike, back to the herd.

Everypony is smiling at the two, stomping their hooves on the wooden roof. Pinkie Pie cheers, blowing on a few horns while streamers and explosions of confetti rain everywhere.

“Well, now that we’ve got that settled all friendly like,” Applejack says with a smile, “Let’s go see about getting this set up lickety-split!” Applejack and Rainbow go to set up barrels for the barrel lead, Pinkie Pie and Doug preparing refreshments, Rarity and Fluttershy gathering scorecards.

PreviousChapters Next