• Published 30th Nov 2018
  • 8,088 Views, 901 Comments

Continuity Disrupted - Doug Graves



Twilight Sparkle arrives in Ponyville, as per the specific instruction of Princess Celestia, and becomes the Element of Magic. All according to plan. But one out of place character threatens to derail everything she has worked for.

  • ...
24
 901
 8,088

PreviousChapters Next
118 Perfection, Part Two

“This looks tough,” Doug says with a frown, “but you can’t let it get you down!” His hand comes up to pet her mane, hoping her passion to inflame.

“You’re right!” Rarity exclaims with a grin, “I know just what I need to win! Without it, I can’t go wrong! What I need is-”

“A montage?” Doug interjects.

“No no no,” Rarity rejects. “A song!”

“Really?” Doug says as Rarity prances about, her horn flaring and pulling fabric out, then patterns, linings, and a ponnequin, everything she needs to begin.

“Chop chop!” Rarity yells to Sweetie Belle and Spike, “I won’t have this venture flop!” She motions with a bit of dislike, “Come now! If we want to finish, we cannot stop!”

“We’re on it!” replies Sweetie Belle.

“We won’t quit!” says Spike, as well. And so off at a run they scurry, slamming the door in a hurry.

Rarity spins, looking Doug up and down. Her muzzle curls briefly to a frown. No suit, or dress, or wedding gown would make a prince of this clown. Perhaps his winter garb she could cut down? Or spruce up, maybe with a crown? But nothing seems to be coming around, just yet another breakdown.

“Mind if I make a suggestion?” Doug says, a bit of hesitation.

“I suppose it won't hurt to mention,” Rarity replies with trepidation. What would become of his rumination? Would it lead to vexation or salvation?

Doug starts off, a little slow, “My armor, that you made for Nightmare Night. Do you think that would fit?”

Rarity smirks, horn aglow, “I doubt that it would cause a fright; no, not even a little bit. And I would not need to refit even a single outfit!” Her hooves stomp, a fast tempo, “Up to the attic, you easily fit; the armor must be sun-lit, though Luna’s influence we cannot omit, with no changes it would be quite unfit!”

Doug nods, “Right,” as he climbs up, Applejack’s dress to gather up. His own armor he cannot don, even with his impressive brawn, so he merely pushes it to the ledge, Rarity levitating it off the edge.

“Hmm.” Rarity inspects the armored garb, nearly pricking a hoof on a barb, “I fear the essence I must kill, and make this theme all for naught, to fit in our fashion show in Ponyville, to say nothing of when we go to Canterlot!”

“You had a vision when you made this!” Doug flourishes his motion to the plate. “You don’t want to ruin that making it something it’s not!”

“It would be quite remiss,” Rarity admits, her muzzle pulling straight, “to give up the plan without a thought. I suppose we can give it a shot. It’s just a first pass, is it not? To see what we have wrought!”

“That’s the spirit!” Doug exclaims, though he pales at a sudden crash. “That must be our first customer, beloved Rainbow Dash!”

“Now, wait a minute,” Rainbow Dash says, upstairs in a flash. “What’s this about? A show I’m in? I’m sure to make a splash!”

“Of course you will!” claims Rarity, a sketch she soon produces. Puffy white clouds trail the hem, rainbows criss-cross past a single red gem, a high ride she soon reduces. “A sense of awe we must instill! Now, Rainbow Dash, hold nothing back! Is it awesome, or merely great?”

“Eh,” Rainbow Dash says blankly. Motion around the room comes to a screeching halt. “It’s fine, I guess. I just want my dress to be cool.”

Fine?” Rarity spits out sharply. She bobs up and down on her hooves, trying to get back in rhythm. “Do you not like the shape?”

Rainbow huffs a sharp breath, “The shape’s fine, just make it look cooler.”

Rarity grits her teeth. “Do you not like the color?”

“The color’s fine, just make the whole thing, you know, cooler.” Rainbow pauses, taking a deep breath. “It needs to be about… twenty percent cooler.

Dun, Danun, Danun, Danununun

Rarity glares over at Doug, the human strumming on a few taut pieces of fabric like a guitar. “What?” he dumbly asks.

Cut,” she starts before her face adopts a mask. “I could use some inspiration, to make my ideas a manifestation, of how ‘cool’ Rainbow wishes to be, and not some base mockery!”

“You got it!” Doug says, a hand rubbing his chin. “So, I love the rainbows, but maybe more like Rainbow’s tail?”

“That could fit.” Rarity grins as Doug gives Rainbow’s tail a spin. “Horizontal instead of vertical, along the trail? Yes! Marvelous! Soon, we shall prevail!”

“How about a helmet?” Rainbow Dash implores. “It would look sweet! A rainbow treat! For all in the realm!”

“Not to overwhelm it,” Rarity ignores, “But Doug already has you beat, a design I would hate to repeat. And I would not want to detain, that beautiful mane, by hiding it underneath a helm!”

“Pah,” Rainbow exhales, though she perks up at the revisions. “Hey! That’s pretty cool! The golden spools! That wrap around my hooves!” Her grin grows wide, flicking her mane aside, “And the wreath for my forehead!”

“I’m ever so glad that you agree!” though Rarity goes a little pale. This work requires extreme precision! Even a small, missed incision would split the dress, an entire division, should she suffer a single collision!

Can’t worry now, since more arrive, the downstairs crowded by the other five. Their clatter as they come up the stairs, the rest of the herd - except for Pinkie, just the other mares - yawning, eyes bleary and blurred.

“Now, what’s this commotion all about?” asks Applejack. She spots her dress, eyes first going to the Stetson. A new one for her, not off the rack? Red apples adorn the trim, the neckpiece, even the brown strap buckling in! And there, along the back, a sharply accented saddle with flowing green train! “Rarity!” she nearly shouts, “You’ve done it again!”

Except that her eyes can’t help but stray up, that something might be wrong with her getup. “Rarity, what if it rains?” She shakes her hooves, getting to the but, “Ah know! Galoshes!”

“Galoshes.” Rarity deadpans, facehoofing at the new kink in her plan.

Doug slaps Applejack across the flank, the earth pony glaring at the spank, “Come on Applejack, this is easy! With Pegasi, it’ll be all breezy!”

“There you go, Doug!” Rarity shouts with a smirk, “Now you’re getting it, you big lug!” She spins around, nearly berserk, “Who’s going next? Don’t give me a shrug!”

“Do me! Do me!” shouts Pinkie Pie, raising her hooves up to the sky. “I wanna give it a try! I like pinks and balloons and streamers and candy and-”

Pinkie stops as Rarity raises a hoof, the mare concentrating as she rattles off (and looking quite aloof), “I think that maroon and creams might be dandy. But, I know you like blue and pink; and while you might want everything - including, unfortunately, the kitchen sink - it might be best to leave the bling.”

“Aww, but I like bling. The way it jingles as it rings! And it just makes me want to sing!” Pinkie Pie huffs as she squats down, no longer pronking around, her mouth pulling, not quite to a frown, as her hooves rest against the ground.

“I know there is a lot to desire, but my hooves are far too close to the fire, for the situation is quite dire! If I stop I might expire!”

Rarity swoons as Sweetie Belle chips in, “We can help! I know we can!”

Fluttershy adds, her hoof on her chin, “Of course! Just show us the plan!”

Rarity shakes her head, the fabrics making a pile. “I would, but I’m afraid, that there is no grand design! I fear that too far have I strayed, that never will I shine!” Her face hangs, legs coming to a slouch, before she collapses onto her fainting couch!

“That’s not true,” Fluttershy exclaims with a hug, a reassuring smile. “We all believe, you can achieve, your talent will break through!” First her, then two, then all of them, a veritable pony pile!

“Oh, very well,” Rarity proclaims, her horn lighting again. Upon a piece of paper she lays pencil and pen, a swift design of green and breeze, for her herdmate Fluttershy to please!

“Dear, what do you think of this? Is it to your liking, or is something amiss?”

“Oh.” Fluttershy stammers, her smile losing its glamour. “It’s, um, I like it. It’s fine.”

Rarity huffs, a brief flash of disgust. “Darling, I am not going for fine. Even for a mare as demure as you are, anything less than positively sublime, is not going too far!

Fluttershy’s eyes widen; she did not mean her confidence to bust! “Oh, well, if you’re asking, there are a few changes I would make.” Wing takes pen, a couple lines to adjust.

Rarity’s eyes widen at the additions. “Fluttershy, it’s far too much! Something simple, a light touch. Just easy stitches, or somesuch, any more is just a crutch!”

Fluttershy shakes her head; was that too much of an admission? “But, Rarity, Prench haute couture, I’ve heard it’s all the rage. Surely it’s not too much to endure, to take a picture from their page?”

“I’m afraid my hoof must come down. I must do this right!” Rarity grunts, a heavy sigh. “But all these dresses, for the town? Stitches, pleating, all the sleights? I only have one night!”

“Very well,” Fluttershy hunkers down, feeling about to cry. “I just wanted to help, I know you will do swell!”

Rarity motions to the picture, not wanting to be a jerk. “Oh, Fluttershy, darling, none of that,” but she cannot help but smirk. “Surely you know a nest is not a proper hat!”

Fluttershy smiles, “Yes, I suppose,” backing away from the pile. She takes the original design, the one she at first thought was fine, though upon further reflection, perhaps it was perfection?

Rarity takes each quick sketch, adding details to make them stretch, things for everypony to fetch, until she comes to that wretch.

Twilight.

The vexing mare sits with a forced grin, as if she realizes the predicament she is in. That for her nothing comes to mind, nothing tried and tested or refined!

Twilight says to Rarity’s stare; maybe with a little care, her fears and hopes she could lay bare? “So, for my dress I had some thoughts. Fashion-wise, he wasn’t very hot, but perhaps you could include a tribute to a certain dude? Star Swirl the Bearded. For all the works that he spread!”

“I’ll take it into consideration,” Rarity says with some trepidation, “but do remember the presentation, that not everypony will recognize your idol with your same eyes!”

“Of course,” Twilight says, pulling out a star map, though Rarity thinks it is a trap, “which is why my backup plan is a constellation. Surely a mare of your station can fit that into her creation?”

Rarity’s eyes nearly bug out. From historic figure to a stellar layout? If before she had a doubt, they are all shattered by this lout! ”Perhaps, this will do. A smattering of stars all through, set on a background of blue! Whites to contrast just to you; teals and cyans! What a hue!”

Twilight taps hoof to muzzle; this is becoming quite the puzzle. She treats her herdmate to a nuzzle. “I think it will have to do!”

Rarity nods, a quick drawing. The time pressure is quickly gnawing! Her sanity she must protect, and deviations she will reject, until her masterpiece is perfect!

Her stallion is hard at work, helping each mare with frameworks, with patterns, markings, and the rest, cutting fabric for their vest. She plants a kiss, right on his chest. Perhaps there is hope for this contest!

PreviousChapters Next