• Published 6th Aug 2018
  • 6,291 Views, 189 Comments

Aggressively Small - ShowShine



Twilight gets a young, aggressive, protective dragon as a child

  • ...
18
 189
 6,291

Fever dreams

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long, I was working on a different chapter before deleting it because it didn’t work out. This chapter is only filler.

Spike slowly opened his eyes. He felt dizzy and his limbs felt weak. He slowly sat up and looked around. The sun was barely up and Twilight wasn’t in her bed. For some reason he still felt tired even though he got over eight hours of sleep. He felt freezing cold.

He got out of his bed and stumbled slightly. It felt like he was carrying the weight of the world his shoulders. He walked down the stairs with shaky legs. He made it to the bottom of the stairs and weakly turned his head to look for Twilight. Twilight sat at her desk reading a book.

”Twilight...” Spike called out, but it came out horsley. Spike slowly walked over to Twilight, shaking with each step. He finally made it over to Twilight which felt like an eternity. He put his hand on Twilights leg, making her turn around.

“Oh you’re up. I’ve never seen you sleep so long.” Twilight said with a smile. Her smiled turned into a frown when she gave him a closer look.

“Are you feeling okay, you look pale.” Twilight said. Spike nodded his head.

“I’m fine.” He said horsley. Twilight put her hoof on his forehead and her eyes widened.

“Spike you’re burning up!” Twilight exclaimed.

“I said I’m fine.” He mumbled out. Twilight shook her head and put Spike on her back.

“No Spike, you need rest.” Twilight said as she walked up the stairs. She placed him in her bed and wrapped a thick blanket around him. He let out a whine of protest. Twilight gave him a soft kiss on the head and handed him Starry.

“I’ll go get you some medicine and tea.” Twilight said as she went downstairs. Spike wanted to follow her but felt to weak to even move. He held Starry in his arms and stared at the ceiling. He didn’t know how much time had past when he heard Twilight walking up the stairs. Spike sat up to see Twilight pouring some medicine in a small paper cup.

“Drink up.” Twilight said, putting the cup up to his lips. Spike grimaced and hid his face into the blanket. Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes.

“If you don’t take it, you won’t be able to come with me when I go out.” Twilight stated. Spikes eyes widened and he quickly gulped down the bitter tasting medicine. Twilight smiled and gave him tea. After he took a few sips, he put it down on the table next to him.

“Now I know you don’t like sleeping, but you need to get more rest.” Twilight said. Spike was too tired to protest and he laid down. Twilight started to walk away but Spike tugged on her tail.

“Don’t go...” Spike said weakly. Twilight smiled.

“Okay, let me just get some books.” She said as she walked down the stairs. Spike nodded his head and cuddled into the blanket. He let his eyes close and dozed off before Twilight got back.


“Are you ready for the first day of school?” Twilight asked. Spike clung to Twilights leg and shook his head. Twilight put her hoof under Spikes chin and lifted his head so he could meet her gaze.

“I know you’re scared, but I know you can do this. You’re six now and you’ve been braver than ever. Now are you ready?” Twilight asked. Spike smiled nervously and nodded his head.

“Okay, let’s go.” Twilight said as she started to walk inside with Spike trailing behind her. They both walked inside the front office and the mare behind the desk smiled brightly. There was a plaque on her desk that said ‘Bumble Wisp.’

“Hello, how may I help you?” Bumble Wisp asked cheerfully. She had a little southern accent.

“I’m here to drop off Spike for school.” Twilight said while gesturing to Spike, who hid behind her leg. Bumble Wisp smiled brightly.

“Oh we’ve been expecting you. Now aren’t you just the cutest thing?” She said. Spike
squeezed closer to Twilight leg.

“He’s a little shy.” Twilight explained. She nodded her head in understanding. Twilight pulled out a piece of paper and handed to the mare.

“Here’s a list of emergency contacts. Please don’t be afraid to call. Spike can have his... episodes at times.” Twilight said. The mare nodded her head and took the paper.

“I understand, now let’s go show you to your class.” Bumble Wisp said. Spike let out a whimper and looked at Twilight.

“It’s okay, I’ll be back to come and get you when school is over, I promise.” Twilight said. She gave Spike a kiss on the head.

Spike gulped nervously and followed Bumble Wisp down the hallway. He stared at the floor as he followed her. Bumble Wisp stopped walking causing him to bump into her leg. He looked up at her, blushing.

“Sorry.” Spike mumble softly. She smiled.

“It’s fine sweetheart. Look we made it to your class.” Bumble Wisp said enthusiastically. Spike let out a shaky breath as he opened the door. A pink unicorn mare who was facing the board turned around when she heard the door open. Bumble Wisp walked inside the room with Spike.

“I’m here to drop off the new student.” She said. The teacher smiled. Spike shakily walked into the room. He felt the eyes off fillies and colts on him.

“My name is Mrs. Dove." She faced the class, touching Spikes shoulder, making him tense up.

“This is Spike, our new student. You can sit right next to Raspberry.” Mrs. Dove said while pointing to an empty seat next to a red unicorn filly. Spike nodded his head and walked to the table. He felt every bodies eyes on him. He heard them whispering stuff like ’is that a dragon?’ and ’what if he tries to eat us?’

Spike sat down next to Rasperberry, who moved her chair away a few inches.

“Now class, it’s time for a pop quiz.” Mrs. Dove said, making the whole class groan. She started to hand out test. She approached Spike.

“You don’t have to take the test if you don’t want too.” She said. Spike felt his classmates staring at him.

“I want to take it.” Spike said softly. Mrs. Dove looked at him in surprise and handed him the test.

“When you’re finished, put you’re test on my desk.” Mrs. Dove said. Spike reached into his back and pulled out a pencil. He looked at the test. It was simple addition and subtraction problems.

Spike answered the questions in less than a minute. He stood up, making everyone stare at him. Spike cowered as he walked to Mrs. Doves desk and put the paper on her desk. She looked at him curiously as he walked back to the table and sat down.

”Theirs no way he could finish the test that quickly in such a short amount of time. He must have guessed every question.” Mrs. Dove thought to herself. She picked up her pen and started to grade the test. Her jaw dropped when she finished grading.

”H-he got everything right!” She thought in disbelief. She looked up at Spike who was reading a book.

”I need to talk to him after class.” Mrs. Dove thought. The minutes ticked by and more children handed in there work. By the time the kid handed in their test, the recess bell rung, making all of the children jump out of there seats and run out the door. Spike slowly got up and trailed behind the class.

“Spike may I please speak with you.” Mrs. Dove said. Spike tensed up and walked over to her desk. He looked at Mrs. Dove with tears in his eyes.

“Don’t cry, you’re not in trouble.” Mrs. Dove said reassuringly. Spike wiped his eyes.

“Spike, how did you finish that test so quickly.” Mrs. Dove asked. Spike shrugged his shoulders.

“It was easy.” He mumbled. Mrs. Dove looked at him in surprise.

“You can go and play now.” Mrs. Dove said. Spike nodded his head and walked out the door. He walked down the long hallway until he reached to large doors.

Spike walked out the doors to reveal a large playground. Ponies of different ages ran around and screamed. Spike covered his ears at the noise. He walked around the playground, looking for a quiet spot to hide. Spike felt like he was suffocating from the noise. It became hard to breath and he started to hyperventilate. He felt a hoof on his shoulder, nearly making him scream. He whipped around to see Mrs. Dove giving him a concerned look.

“Are you okay?” She asked in a sweet tone. At this point Spike was shaking like a leaf. Tears welled up in his eyes he ran inside the school. He ran down the hallway, looking for a quiet spot but it seemed everywhere he went, it just go louder. He opened a random door and ran into the room, shutting the door behind him. He looked around to see that he was in a dimly lit janitors closet. He sat on the floor and clutched onto his ears. Spike could hear his heart pounding loudly.

“Just breath like Twilight taught you. In and out. In and out.” Spike thought to himself. He continued doing this for a few minutes until his breathing calmed down. The lunch bell rung, making Spike jump and his breath quicken.

“In and out.” Spike whispered to himself, trying to breath normally. He laid on the floor, tears streaming down his face.

”I want Twilight.” Spike thought to himself as sobbed loudly. He wanted to yell for her, but it was useless. Another bell rang making him scream. He sobbed louder as he heard the loud sounds of ponies walking and talking down the hallway. It seem like the noise was going to go on forever, but luckily it stopped. Finally, the sound of silence.

Spikes breathing calmed down but he continued to cry. He felt too emotionally drained to get up and go back to class. The door opened, making him jump back. He turned around to see Velvet standing there. Spike quickly stood up and ran into her arms, letting out a sob.

“It’s okay, I’m here.” Velvet said as she rubbed his head. Once he calmed down, he pulled away from the hug.

“Do you want to go home?” Velvet asked softly. Spike nodded his head. Velvet put Spike on her back and made her way to the office. She picked up a pen and signed her name on a sign out sheet before waving goodbye to Bumble Wisp and leaving the school. Velvet walked outside and a fresh breeze.

“I’m sorry for making you leave work...” Spike apologized. Velvet stopped walking

“Spike it wasn’t your fault, I promise. You just got a little overwhelmed. Now let’s go home, Twilight should be there by now.” Velvet said as she continued walking.


Spike stirred awake and looked around. He felt a lot better. He noticed Twilight laying on the bed next to him, reading a book.

“Hey Twilight.” Spike said. His voice sounded a lot better too. Twilight snapped her attention to him and smiled.

“Oh you’re up. You slept all day!” Twilight said. Spike noticed that it was now night time.

“Do you remember that time I went to school and freaked out so I went home early and never went back.” Spike said. Twilight put her book down.

“Oh yeah, remember that. Mom said that she found you in a janitors closet. What made you bring it up?” Twilight asked.

“I just had a dream about that day. I remembered little details like what the room smelled like and all of the questions on the test that I took.” Spike said. Twilight raised her eyebrows.

“It sounds like you’re getting better. That’s good because your birthday is in a few days, and you shouldn’t be sick on your birthday.” Twilight said happily.

“Yeah, my birthday.” Spike said with a smile.