• Published 27th Jun 2018
  • 6,907 Views, 732 Comments

Broken Bindings - anonpencil



You've found an "interesting" book recently. You don't know what it is, or why it was hidden in the back of Twilight's library, but you feel so compelled to read it. And keep reading it. And keep reading it...

  • ...
12
 732
 6,907

Page 16

~*~

You know, I've been thinking, as we've gone through page after page together. I may never know who you are or what you look like, even if I have been able to catch glimpses of the kind of person you are in the way you've handled this book. But you've gotten to know a lot about me. Even then, you don't know what I look like. I mean, you know what the book looks like, but that's not exactly the same thing, is it? What I mean is, when I was a pony, I had a face, a mane, a tail, a whole body wrapped around these words and thoughts that I'm left with now. I had eyes to see with, a mouth to speak with. I was whole. I was free.

If you want... maybe I can show you what I looked like?

I haven't tried to do this before, never for anyone else in the past. No one has really cared enough to read this far anyway. So, for you, maybe I can give it a shot. If I try really hard, focus...

If I...

If I try hard enough...

...maybe...

Please, just a little...

Why....is...

...I can...

...m...be...I....c....n....

No. I'm sorry.

I can't do it.

Making cute little walking ponies, making little singing birds, that's all easy. But I'm quickly realizing that... I don't even fully remember what I look like anymore. It's been too long, and the memory is a wash of black smoke, streaking ink, spatters of red. And remembering what happened is so painful still, even now. I may be in this book, but I can still feel, I'm still alive, and I can still feel all that anger and hurt and hatred from back then. Even trying to imagine myself as I was makes me remember that I'm stuck here forever. That this is was a curse I never deserved.

...

Not that I'm upset to be in your book!

Oh no, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. I shouldn't have tried to do that in the first place, it was a mistake. Forget I said anything, please forgive me. I didn't mean to upset you. Please, please forgive me. I'm grateful you're here, and I like trying to entertain you, I can certainly promise you that. Let's get back to the fun, that's what you and I are all about, right? We're just here to have fun, with me amusing you, and you reading along as I do.

There's no need to stop reading. Right?

Besides, I know we'll get to know each other even better in time. There's no need to rush things.

I can wait.