• Published 27th Jun 2018
  • 6,865 Views, 732 Comments

Broken Bindings - anonpencil



You've found an "interesting" book recently. You don't know what it is, or why it was hidden in the back of Twilight's library, but you feel so compelled to read it. And keep reading it. And keep reading it...

  • ...
12
 732
 6,865

Page 5

~*~

It was your heartbeat! It begins while you're still inside your mother, and it continues until your heart stops at death! I always loved the idea of a heartbeat being like music, like your whole body is an instrument you can just play and play without even trying. That way we're all musicians.

I get the feeling, by the rhythmic way you turn the pages, that you like music too. Maybe you're a musician yourself? I'd like to imagine you are.

I don't have a heartbeat anymore. But that's okay. I make a little sound whenever you flip through my pages, and it feels almost like something in me flutters again. The whisper of a phantom heartbeat, maybe.

But enough about me, I'd like to know more about you! Not that you can tell me, I'll just have to go by feel. What kind of pony are you? Are you even a pony at all? Hm, I'm not sure I can easily get an answer to that, so let's at least see how smart you are by how fast you get this next riddle. I'll be able to feel how quickly you flip to the next page, so the moment you think you have it, go check the answer. If you have to think about it a long time, I'll know it. I'll make it a hard one though, so I won't blame you if it takes a while. I know just the riddle! It had me pretty stumped when I first heard it too.

Ready? Okay, give this one a shot...


You can only have me

If you tell no one you have me

I cannot be touched

But everyone has felt me

One way to lose me

Is to find someone else who has me

When you have me

It feels like you have nothing

What am I?