• Published 4th Jan 2018
  • 3,785 Views, 134 Comments

Fireflight - Tangent



A young Firefly unitentionally takes a sledgehammer to causality when she bucks Starlight Glimmer in the head on the way down to save Fluttershy as Rainbow Dash defends the shy filly's honor in a race against some bullies back in Flight Camp...

  • ...
10
 134
 3,785

Prologue: Taking a Sledgehammer to Causality

FIREFLIGHT

Yet another MLP:FiM SI by Tangent

Whose alternate SI's keep messing up causality

Beta-readers: Angelform, Baran3, and W34v3r

Prologue

Firefly glided gently among the clouds, enjoying the peaceful sensation of the air flowing across her body and through her control feathers.

A far cry from when she had first appeared in Equestria four years ago in a flash of lightning above Los Pegasus. If the vacationing couple who ended up adopting her hadn’t spotted her fall in time to catch her, she probably wouldn’t have survived hitting the ground.

Granted, it probably would have been quick, and Firefly had already been barely conscious at the time, so a lot of the fear from anticipation had been absent as well, but it still wasn’t a pleasant thought.

In any event, Burning Sky and Dragonfly had taken her in, named her, and diligently helped her ‘regain’ her ability to manipulate things with her wings, hooves, and mouth. Two years ago, when they noticed her clumsy first attempts to fly, they helped her improve her technique and train her agility, speed, and stamina in the sky.

One day, she was going to be in the Air Guard, just like Mommy, Daddy, Uncle Hornet (Daddy's side of the family had a lot of bug related names), and like Grandpa Strato used to be before he retired.

For now though, she was just going to enjoy what private flying time she managed to get at the Junior Speedsters’ Flight Camp.

And try not to get in the way of the events unfolding around Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

Well, at least she knew when roughly in the timeline she was now, since they were all in Flight Camp together. Dash had just made friends with Gilda the other day, and Fluttershy…

Seriously, what had Fluttershy’s parents been thinking when they signed her up for the Junior Speedsters’ Flight Camp? Maybe they had made a mistake and thought that they had sent her off to Sky Dancer Camp? It would have suited the timid filly’s temperament better, and she certainly looked like the type that would come out of that awkward growth phase more graceful than she went into it.

Granted, Firefly did realize that she might be being a little biased due to the vague memories she retained of the show whose setting she found herself living in. Not that everything lined up completely with what she remembered so far, but enough had that she was reasonably sure that some of the big events were set to take place in a few years.

All she had to do was stay out of it all and let it happen while serving her new country in other ways.

When an odd flash caught Firefly’s attention, she found herself looking at the arrival of Twilight Sparkle and Spike as they fell out of a complex looking bubble of magic.

Which meant that Starlight Glimmer was around here somewhere, getting ready to prevent Rainbow Dash from performing her very first Sonic Rainboom.

In a way, it was very liberating for Firefly, knowing that it didn’t matter what she did or didn’t do because it was all going to be wiped away when causality was corrected.
Which was why, when Firefly spotted Starlight Glimmer getting ready to cast a spell at Rainbow Dash, she decided to deliver a flyby buck to the head on her way down to save Fluttershy.

Yeah. Screw trusting the ability of a swarm of butterflies to catch a pegasus. Firefly was going to make sure that Fluttershy made it to the ground safely.

All she had to do was reach her first…

*O o O o O*

Starlight Glimmer groggily shook her head in an attempt to clear it as she fell uncontrolled through the clouds on her way to the ground below.

What the buck had just happened?

Desperately, she recast her flight spell, which barely flickered into place but slowed her fall to a gentle drift nonetheless. This wasn’t good. If Twilight Sparkle caught her while she was still recovering from whatever hit her, that would be it for her little revenge scheme. She had to act quickly, even though she doubted that she’d be able to use enough control to just stop the filly gently. Still, it had to be done, and if one little filly just happened to get hurt in the course of her revenge then what of it?

When the Sonic Rainboom came, Starlight almost fell out of the sky again because it came from below her instead of from wherever the the young racers happened to be in the clouds above.

And the color of the transonic aura wave-front was all wrong. More of an alternating pink and purple rather than being the colors of a rainbow.

Something else had gone wrong other than what Starlight had planned on, and she wondered what it meant for the spell that she could feel getting ready to pull Twilight Sparkle back unto whatever future was forming from this change of events.

And then a second Sonic Rainboom happened among the clouds above.

And causality, just like her spell, shattered.

*O o O o O*

Two pegasi fillies looked up at the rainbow colored shockwave spreading across the sky.

"Three guesses who caused that one," Firefly commented lightly, even as she wondered why this version of reality hadn't unraveled yet. Did she screw up somehow when she bucked Dimlight Dumber on the way down to rescue Fluttershy?

"I think we both know who that is," Fluttershy replied as she turned her attention back towards her new friend's sprained wing. Sure, it was nice of Rainbow Dash to defend her honor by racing against the class bullies like that, and the second rainboom was an indication that her chromatic friend had most likely won, but it was Firefly who had noticed that she had fallen and had broken the sound barrier first when she flew down to intercept her before she hit the ground. Unfortunately, Firefly's immature wings couldn't quite take the strain of pulling out of that dive while also carrying the added weight of another filly, forcing the pair to angle for a softer water landing near the shore of a pond.

Neither of the two downed fillies would be returning to the Junior Speedster's Flight Camp until someone noticed that they were missing and came down to look for them, which might take a while. In the meantime, Fluttershy tended to her injured friend as best as she could, improvising makeshift splints for her wings.

"So, uh, Fluttershy?"

"Yes?"

"While we're waiting, would you mind listening to an idea about a story I'd like to write someday? I'm calling it 'Battleship Archipelago'."

"Okay."

Neither filly noticed that they had acquired their Cutie Marks until after they had been found.

*O o O o O*

Fizzlepop Berrytwist stared in wonder at the bouncy pink Earth Pony who, against all prior experience with every other filly or colt her age, seemed to be determined to be her friend despite the bursts of uncontrolled magic caused by her broken horn.

Yes, her broken horn was dangerous, but Pinkie Pie insisted that was all the more reason that she needed a friend to cheer her up and help her through the hard times. A friend who was unafraid of the risks involved with approaching a filly with uncontrolled magic. A friend whos dream was to travel Equestria, spreading joy and laughter to any and all who might need it.

It was inspiring, and Fizzlepop felt as if a great weight had lifted from her heart.

She resolved to follow Pinkie Pie and help her any way she could as they traveled across Equestria and beyond.

Oddly enough, the two eventually ended up on Mount Aris on the far coast of the Bone Dry Desert, where they managed to start up a much needed resistance cell that helped the hippogriffs repel the forces of the Storm King with their unique abilities, becoming national heroes of both Hippogriffia and Sequestria.

But that's another story entirely.

*O o O o O*

Princess Celestia cautiously glided towards the two ponies whose duel had wrecked a sizable portion of what had been a camp for young pegasi fliers. One of them did indeed appear to be an alicorn as the initial reports had claimed. One who bore a suspiciously close resemblance to her newest personal student, Twilight Sparkle, right down to her having the very same Cutie Mark and young dragon companion of the same coloration as baby Spike. The other was an angry lilac colored unicorn who was showing signs of severe magical strain and possibly a concussion. Not that the alicorn didn’t also look tired, but the unicorn definitely looked to be the worse off of the pair.

Noting that she hadn’t been noticed yet, Princess Celestia motioned for her guards to land quietly as she did, and approached the pair in silence. This appeared to be a natural break in whatever conflict the pair were engaged in, and if she was lucky she might find out what they were fighting about before she intervened.

And, as luck would have it, she did indeed seem to have arrived during the more verbal portion of whatever argument they were having.

“...I had given them true friendship! And you took it all away!”

“You took away their Cutie Marks, Starlight! Of course they turned on you when they found out that you had retained your own! You were lying to them!”

“I had to! I’m the only one who knows the Cutie Mark Removal spell! I’m the one who created it!”

“Why would you make such a horrible spell?”

“You want to know why I invented that spell? Fine, Princess, I’ll tell you! Because Cutie Marks destroyed the only friendship I ever had! Because Sunburst got his Cutie Mark and I didn’t, he got sent away to Magic School and I didn’t. I never heard from him again!”

“But...”

“And when I had finally, finally, made my own little utopia, a village without Cutie Marks, a village where everyone was the same and Cutie Marks couldn’t destroy friendships, you and you and your friends came along and ruined everything! You took away my friendships, so I’m going to make sure that you never get yours, Princess Twilight Sparkle!”

“You’re crazy!” the young dragon interjected.

“I AM NOT CRAZY!”

“You brought us all back in time just to rub it in our faces as you made sure that the one event that Twilight credited as connecting the Elements of Harmony before they even met each other didn’t happen as part of a twisted revenge scheme. Sounds crazy to me,” the dragon snarked.

“Spike has a point,” Twilight Sparkle agreed, revealing the young dragon’s name and confirming her own identity as the (or rather a) future version of a certain little filly back in Canterlot.

“I agree,” Princess Celestia stated, deciding that it was time to reveal her presence to all involved.

“Princess Celestia!” If anything, the sheer look of joy and relief on the dragon and new alicorn, and the look of trepidation on the unicorn, only served to further confirm what she had already found out.

“Princess Twilight,” Celestia responded formally, acknowledging the status of the other alicorn as revealed by the preceding argument. The somewhat hurt expression this caused spoke of the deeply personal relationship the other alicon must have had with her. “And you must be Spike. Or at least older versions of the young filly and dragon I had just met earlier today. Now who are you, Starlight...”

“G-Glimmer...” the unicorn stammered. “Starlight Glimmer.”

“Before we continue,” Celestia announced, "I need to know one thing: Can you reverse your spell and return Princess Twilight, Spike, and yourself to the portion of Neverwhen from whence you came?”

“Ah… No? I mean, the spell broke when the event I came back to prevent happened anyway. Twilight and I should have already been automatically projected back into the future, but we’re still here.”

“So you are truly cut off from your native causality, and this is a new branch of time rather than a closed chronological loop?”

“Oh no...” Twilight Sparkle visibly paled, immediately realizing what Princess Celestia was implying. A moment later the young dragon looked ill as well.

“Ha! Yes! That’s right! I still win!” Starlight Glimmer cackled gleefully.

“No, Starlight Glimmer of Neverwhen, you do not ‘win.’ You stand before me, guilty by your own admission, of the crimes of attempted genocide by means of temporal manipulation; of attempted regicide by means of temporal manipulation; and deliberately breaking causality and risking an extinction level event. Normally, I would sentence you to Tartarus for crimes of such magnitude, but I do not believe it to be secure enough to hold a unicorn that can create spells that can manipulate time to the extent that you have demonstrated. Starlight Glimmer of Neverwhen, I hereby declare you to be Despair of Loneliness and sentence you to the Palace Gardens. Your case will be reviewed again at some point in the future when the full extent of the actual damages you have caused and how they might be corrected or compensated for has been determined, but for now: To Stone With You!

“But...”

But no further protest came from the now petrified Starlight Glimmer as Princess Celestia moved to comfort the grieving alicorn and dragon.

*O o O o O*

Several hours later, after Firefly and Fluttershy were discovered to be missing and eventually found and recovered from the ground under the Junior Speedsters' Flight Camp, Firefly could only express her disbelief about what she and Fluttershy had missed while they were gone...

Author's Note:

Just a bit of a heads up on how and why Princess Twilight Sparkle, Starlight Glimmer, and Spike the Brave and Glorious didn't return to their future when Rainbow Dash successfully performed her very first Sonic Rainboom.

It's because Princess Twilight and Spike got sent forward when a divergent event happened before the key event took place. Which is to say Firefly's Sonic Rainboom. However, the three also stayed behind in the 'past' as a sort of Schrödinger's Echo, not that any of them realize this. When the 'key' event that Starlight's causality loop was focused on happened anyway, the last vestiges of the spell shattered, stranding them in the past because they were already in their proper future.

Mind you, none of them have anyway of knowing this, and for all this version of Princess Celestia knows Starlight Glimmer may have destroyed her native reality. She won't know for certain until she depetrifies Starlight on or after the original date the spell was cast once they catch up to it and takes a reading.

Celestia, being Celestia, hasn't told Princess Twilight this bit for several reasons. Only one of which being not to get the other alicorn's hopes up in case Twilight's native causality is indeed no longer there to find.