• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 3,684 Views, 97 Comments

Remedial Studies - Rose Quill



As part of allowing Sunset Shimmer to stay, Celestia requires her to pass her missed exams.

  • ...
5
 97
 3,684

Getting Settled

“A little to the left,” Starlight said. “Just a skootch.”

I nudged the painting to the left and sat down. “I think that’s it,” I said, looking around.

It was amazing how long it took to set up such a small home. Between airing it out, cleaning the nooks and crannies - and relocating a family of badgers - it had taken three days just to get it where it felt like me.

“So, when are you going to open these things?” The other Unicorn asked, floating over the packages she had brought over the other day.

“Well, I guess I was waiting for me to have a house to have a housewarming in,” I murmured. “I’m still having trouble believing this is my place at times.”

“No better way than to have a housewarming party,” she said. “And nopony does a party better th...”

“I heard the word party!” Pinkie cried out as she burst in through a window. “Whose the lucky pony? Where can I set up?” She reaches out and cupped Starlight’s cheeks and shook her slightly. “Does this call for marzipan or mascarpone? I need to know!”

I giggled as Pinkie went on being Pinkie. “A housewarming party, Pinkie,” I said, levitating the pony away from the confused mare. “To celebrate the fact that I’m finally done moving in.”

The party planner gave a squee and bounded away, waving. “I’ll have it all ready for tonight, Sunset!” she sang as she went along.

I smiled faintly and turned back to the packages.

“I guess I open these tonight, then.”


“Princess Celestia will see you now,” the guard said, stepping aside from the opened door. Inside the study, Celestia was sitting at a table, scanning some document as she sipped tea. A slice of carrot cake sat to the side, a fork resting on the plate with a few crumbs attached. She glanced up.

“Ah, Sunset,” she said, a chair sliding out in her aura. “Please, be seated. Tea?”

“Please,” I said as I sat. Soon a cup was settled before me and tea being poured in. “You wanted to see me?”

The Daytime Diarch nodded. “I wanted to discuss a few things about your re-enrollment,” she said. “I want you to understand that I won’t go easy on you just because you were my student before.”

“I wouldn't want you to,” I retorted.

“But I also want to let you test out of any session if you feel up to it,” she continued. “No point in wasting time in basic levitation or history of Equestria.”

I lifted my teacup, my grip sturdy and stable. “Of course.”

“So all that remains is to come up with a course load and schedule,” Celestia finished, setting the parchment down and smiling at me. “I understand you purchased a home in Ponyville?”

I nodded as I sipped my tea. “It’s not much, but it’s mine,” I said. “Pinkie is throwing the house warming tonight, so I hope it’s still standing in the morning.”

The ruler laughed. “I’m sure she can contain herself that much,” she giggled. “I understand that you’ve taken somepony under your wing, so to speak?”

I blinked. “How did you know about that?”

She levitated a rolled up scroll. “Twilight is rather vociferous in her letters to me,” she said. “I think you and Starlight Glimmer would be good friends to this Juniper Montage, and the two of you can acquaint yourselves to Ponyville rather well, for however long your stay may be.”

“I’m fairly certain I’m back to stay, Princess,” I said. “I may go back across to visit, but that’s just not home, no matter how welcome I am there. Plus, when my counterpart transferred to CHS, things got a little complicated anyway. The girls know how to get up with me.”

“Ah, yes,” Celestia murmurred. “I wondered what had become of your copy of our journal.”

I blushed a little. “They are still my friends,” I whispered shyly.

“And I will have no issue with you visiting them.” She took a bite of her cake. “I believe, Sunset, that the best curriculum for you would be one of independent study. That way you are under no pressure to choose between living and studying. We will meet each day to track your progress and to test your skills when you feel ready. I may even throw a few pop quizzes at you along the way.”

“I’ll keep an eye out for flying scrolls,” I chuckled.

She laughed too, and for a few moments, it felt like it had when I was her student the first time, laughing over silly things.

It felt like I was truly home.