• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 3,684 Views, 97 Comments

Remedial Studies - Rose Quill



As part of allowing Sunset Shimmer to stay, Celestia requires her to pass her missed exams.

  • ...
5
 97
 3,684

Tea

I looked at the teacup, its simple design and color belying the purpose of its presence. It sat in the exact center of the stone table, no saucer or other item nearby.

“Now, remember, Sunset,” Celestia said, a teapot hovering in her magic grip. “You must keep your mind clear and focus not just on the cup, but on the tea itself.”

I sighed, shaking a few damp strands of my mane out of my face. I had managed to almost complete the transposition spell twice. And both time, I managed to dump a teacup worth of cold tea on my head. My horn lit up with a teal light, and I closed my eyes, picturing the cup before me and the tea in the kettle. I felt the sensation that I had come back to being familiar with, a sense of weight at the base of my horn as I took something in my grip. I grunted as I sunk deeper into concentration, hearing the teacup rattle slightly.

My magic began to waver, and I felt my tongue poke out as I relaxed slightly, allowing more mana to flow. With a slight sloshing sound, I felt the spell fade and I gasped for air as it did.

And the teacup was full with a dark brew.

“Very good, Sunset,” Celestia said, sitting down by the table. “Now, I’m afraid cold tea isn’t exactly proper for the day.” We both looked out the window, watching the rain pelt down in sheets.

“Join me,” she said, a second cup appearing and filling with tea, both cups steaming as they were enveloped by her yellow magic. A moment later, a small platter of teacakes appeared as well. “It has been some time since I sat at tea with a student.”

“Probably since Twilight sat here, I wager,” I returned, taking a cake and dunking it in my tea. “Have you decided if you would take on another student one day?”

Her wise head nodded. “I have thought about it,” she admitted. “I have come to enjoy the look on a pony’s face when they get a difficult spell down. I also admit that having you here again, I feel a sense of pride in you, Sunset. You are much more like the filly I once took under my wing.”

I smiled at that, the surge of warmth in my cheeks causing me to duck my head for a moment before meeting her eyes.

“I have missed this,” I whispered. “More that I ever realized. Even after Twilight came after me, I couldn’t sit at tea with anyone without a small bit of grief.” A tear slid down my cheek. “I know I apologized once for my words and deeds, but I don’t know if I’ll ever feel like I’ve earned your forgiveness.”

A white wing slide over my shoulders, covering me with its warmth.

“I never doubted you,” the whispered words came. “You may have lost your way, but you did find your way not only back to the light, but to the lessons I had tried to teach you.”

She slid sideways a little and leaned down to nuzzle me. “I missed you, my shimmering sun.”

I couldn’t hold the tears back.

“I missed you too,” i whispered. “Mom.”