• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 3,678 Views, 97 Comments

Remedial Studies - Rose Quill



As part of allowing Sunset Shimmer to stay, Celestia requires her to pass her missed exams.

  • ...
5
 97
 3,678

The Setup

I lifted the scroll and read it for the tenth time.

Sunset Shimmer,

In accordance with your return to Equestria being allowed, you are to complete the studies that you had abandoned with your flight ten years ago.

In three months time, allowing time for you to adjust back to pony life, you will be tested in the following subject areas:

Thaumaturgy
Potions
Transfiguration
Evocation
Echantment
Divination
Diplomacy
Friendship studies

Please report to the Palace in Canterlot at ten in the morning on Monday, fourteen weeks from today for the first test.

Yours truly,

Princess Celestia

I sighed and put it back down on the desk in front of me and glanced at the stack of books that Twilight had leant me.

“Don’t worry about it, Sunset!” she had said as she dropped them off. “I’m sure you’re be back in the swing of things in no time!”

“Easy for you to say,” I said to myself as I brought the topmost book over and settled in to read.

The magic from the world I had lived in for years was completely different from Equestrian magic, so much so that trying to take a book from that brief trip a few years back had been a disaster. I’m surprised that Starlight hadn’t teased me even once since then. How do you forget how to use your own horn?

The words in front of me seemed to speak in a foreign language, and I slammed it shut in frustration. I tried to run my hand through my hair, remembering at the last moment that I had hooves now and lowered my head before giving my mane a toss.

“Only one thing to do, it seems,” I said to myself.

I grabbed my scarf and bag from the peg by the door and stepped out into the night.


“To what do I owe the pleasure, Sunset?” Celestia asked as the guard that admitted me withdrew.

“Have to admit,” I said, nervously. “That I don’t believe that three months is going to be enough time for me to get up to speed on all of the lessons I’ve missed out on.”

“I seem to recall a young filly that was rather ahead of her studies once upon a time,” she said with that good natured smile I recalled from my youth.

“Yes, well,” I said, lifting a small clay knick-knack in my magic. It wavered as my aura flickered and flashed, obviously not as strong as it once was. “The magic in the other world is vastly different, and I’ve been using it so much I’ve sort of forgotten half of what I used to do by habit.”

“So shall we allow you more time, then?” she asked, tilting her head.

“No, I don’t think that is it,” I said, nerves flaring up again. “Rather, could I re-enroll into your private study program again? Just start from scratch, rather than try to remember what might be a little erroneous?”

Celestia smiled and spread her wings out.

“I think that would be quite acceptable,” she said as I stepped forward to accept the feathery embrace. “Perhaps replace quite a few unpleasant memories as well as missed lessons.”


“Remedial studies?” Twilight asked, the words seeming to leave a sour taste in her mouth.

“After a fashion,” I said as I shakily brought the tea tray to the table in den of the small home I had managed to purchase in Ponyville. I had forgotten about the account I had in the Central Trust of Canterlot the years I had been in self-imposed exile, and it had accrued a rather beautiful interest, enough to buy a humble little cote not far from the borders of the Whitetail Wood.

“But…but you’re so well versed in magic!” she stammered.

“Of the other world, Twilight,” I reminded her. “I’m years out of practice for the school-level magic that you’ve lived and breathed for near to a decade. I’d rather start over than try to dredge up things that I might not remember properly due to tainted memories. Besides, she’s already given me a pass on the Friendship lessons based on her review of the journal, so each lesson is going to be started off with a brief review, like your letters when you first moved here.”

The Princess of Friendship pouted slightly and sipped her tea. “Ok,” she said. “But why start in a month instead of right away? Why put it off?”

I tilted my head forward, mane sliding forward.

“Besides getting used to being a pony again?” I asked. “My magic is all over the place when I try to levitate things. The first couple nights I was back I could’t even use a fork to eat! And I need to find a nice balance between lessons and life. I can’t very well be a good friend if I shut myself away in a room and get all sullen again, now can I?”

Twilight smiled. “So…”

A knock on the door sounded just then, and I perked up and smiled.

“So,” I said standing and heading to the door. “Hopefully, this will allow me the chance to get used to being home again.”

I opened the door to find a trio of ponies standing outside, all grins. A set of wrapped packages floated in the aura of the lead Unicorn.

“Welcome to Ponyville, Sunset!” Starlight said, her grin threatening to split her face. She swept in and set the gifts down on a side table as the other two ponies stepped in.

“Thank you, Starlight,” I said, glancing at the other two ponies, Fluttershy and another Pegasus I didn’t recognize. “And this is?”

The Pegasus shuffled shyly, and I caught a glimpse of the ties in her long mane, paired film reels.

“Juniper?”

“Hi,” she said, a little quietly.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, looking over at Starlight.

“Well, she sort of wanted to see this place we were always talking about,” Starlight said. “And considering that she was known as the girl that terrorized the mall, I thought she could do with a bit of a holiday.”

“Well, then,” I said, a little surprised. “I suppose we’ll both be getting used to the place together then?”

She nodded. “Starlight said she’d show me around the town for the duration of my stay,” Juniper said as her wings fluffed a little. “Provided I don’t stay shut in.”

“Which brings us to the next matter,” Fluttershy said. “I originally offered to let her stay with me, but I’m afraid Harry has come down with a nasty case of the flu, and he’s not quite himself, so I’m hoping that Twilight would let her stay at the castle.”

We all turned to the Alicorn, who smiled.

“Just don’t let Dash find out there’s a new Pegasus in town,” she said. “Otherwise we’ll have to teach her how to fly so she can race.”