• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 3,676 Views, 97 Comments

Remedial Studies - Rose Quill



As part of allowing Sunset Shimmer to stay, Celestia requires her to pass her missed exams.

  • ...
5
 97
 3,676

Talking About the Issue

I reached up hesitantly and knocked on the door to the library. The entire way here, I kept going over everything Twilight could possibly want to say to me. Things had not gone well in my mind, and the possibilities were frightful.

The door swept open, the knob surrounded by a yellow aura. “Come in, Sunset,” I heard Celestia say.

I froze. Why was my mother here?

I walked in, and I saw the two princesses sitting across a table, a pot of tea settled between them. Twilight’s mane was frazzled and she had some matted spots on her coat, but she looked calmer now. She gave me a sheepish smile.

“Hi, Twilight,” I said quietly. The fact that Mom was here made things a little more tense that I had thought it might. “Hi, Mom,”

“I understand that the two of you have been avoiding each other,” Celestia said, looking directly at Twilight. The other Alicorn shrank a little in embarrassment. “I thought I had taught you better than that.”

“I’m sorry,” I said immediately, head tilted down a little.

A hoof reached out and touched my chin.

“I didn’t mean that just towards you, daugter,” my mother said softly. She stood, the teaset vanishing with a slight pop. “I want you two to talk this out. I’d hate for two of my favorite little ponies to be so uncomfortable around each other they couldn’t be friends.”

She stepped out, and I was left in the room with Twilight. Neither of us spoke for the first minute or two, then Twilight fluffed her wings and sighed. “I’m sorry,” she said.

“No,” I said immediately. “I should apologize. I should have realized how shocking discovering who my mother was and told you from the start.”

“No, not that,” Twilight cut in. “I’m sorry for avoiding you. I just was so surprised and I don’t know what I thought.”

“So," I said, hesitantly. “Are you good with the knowledge now?”

She pinked in the cheeks. “I think so. It may take some time getting used to though.”

“It’s not like I’m leaving tomorrow, you know,” I said, some of my confidence rising again.

“Yeah,” Twilight agreed.

“And that will give me time to get used to the idea of you having a crush on me,” I said with a shy smile.

Her eyes shot open. “What? Where did you hear that?”

“You kind of babbled it before your teleport,” I told her. I figured leaving Starlight’s confirmation out would help the ensuing panic attack end quickly.

“Eh hehehe,” Twilight giggled softly. “I guess I did.” She turned away slightly, glancing back a little. “Are you ok with that?”

“I think I can warm up to the idea,” I said, walking over and draping a forelimb over her shoulders. “I haven’t exactly had a lot of dates before, though.”

“Neither have I,” the alicorn admitted. “You’d… Be my first. If we went on one, that is.”

I looked at the blushing pony beside me and I felt a warmth sprout in my chest. I had left my geode in a drawer in my bedroom to avoid random flashes, but I could sometimes pick up strong emotions. And I think I was picking up excitement from Twilight.

Either that, or that jalapeño cupcake from earlier. I really need to stop trying Pinkie’s inventions.

“So,” I said softly. “What’s stopping you from asking?”

“I’m not sure.” I felt her wing flutter between us. “I’m probably just scared.”

“I can understand that,” I said, stepping away. “I should probably get going. It’s getting late and I haven’t eaten since breakfast.”

I was almost to the door when I heard a soft question.

“Do you want to have dinner here?”

I thought for a moment, turning to see Twilight’s wings twitching as her ears folded back. I winked at her.

“Sure,” I said. “But can I run home and take a quick shower? I’ve been cloud walking and I can still feel some in my hooves.”

She smiled, ears pointing straight up in excitement. “Yes! Is six ok?”

“It’s a date,” I said, smiling. “Pun intended.”