• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 3,695 Views, 97 Comments

Remedial Studies - Rose Quill



As part of allowing Sunset Shimmer to stay, Celestia requires her to pass her missed exams.

  • ...
5
 97
 3,695

Planning

“Sunset, calm down,” Starlight said, watching me pace.

“What am I going to do?” I said, spinning around to face her and Juniper. “We were supposed to go to dinner at the diner tonight, but I can’t do it now, and all the other places are booked!”

“It was kind of sad that the kitchen caught fire,” Juniper said. “But they’ll be up and running again in two weeks. Maybe you can postpone it?”

I shook my head. “This is Twilight we’re talking about,” I said. “You both know how she gets about things not going according to schedule!” I started pacing again.

“Well, what about a picnic?” Starlight asked. “It’s supposed to nice tonight, and If my calendar is right there’s supposed to be a meteor shower tonight.”

“She does like astronomy,” Juniper agreed. “She’s got enough telescopes.”

I felt my heart start to calm down. “That might work,” I whispered, mentally calculating what I would need to get. “Starlight, can you let her know that we’ll be meeting later? We were going to meet at the castle at six, but I need some time to set this up.”

The Unicorn nodded, trotting out. Juniper tossed her mane to get her bangs out of her eyes, using a wing to nudge her glasses back up her face. She was getting pretty good at using those, I thought idly.

“What can I do?” she asked. I smiled at her.

“Can you go get Fluttershy and ask her to come here while I go gather some groceries?”


“Oh, that sounds lovely,” Fluttershy said as I stirred the mixture of vegetables in the pot. “I think she’ll love it.”

I smiled. “I hope so,” I said as I levitated a spoon out to taste the broth and vegetables. Just a little under al dente, so I moved the pot off the heat to let them finish cooking from residual heat. “I really want her to enjoy this since I had to alter our plans from what they were.”

“I’m sure she’ll be ok with it,” the butter-yellow Pegasus said softly with a smile. She ruffled her wings a bit and I noticed that her coat shone a little more than normal and her mane was carefully brushed.

“You're rather dressed up tonight,” I said, giving her a soft smile of my own. “Big plans with Dash?”

Fluttershy blushed a little and ducked her head a little. “We’re going to Cloudsdale tonight for her parent’s anniversary,” she admitted. “Hopefully they won’t get overly excited about their daughter bring back a date.”

“Well, you are worth a little excitement,” I told my friend.

“You’ve not seen her folks excited,” she shook her head. “From what Dashie’s told me, they get carried away sometimes.”

I tried to imagine what Dash would consider carried away. I pulled out a basket and a thermos and began to spoon the soup into it. “Well, I hope I don’t make you late for this,” I said as I began to set the other foods I had made into the basket.

“Oh, it won’t take anytime at all to get this ready for you,” the animal-tender said quickly. “I know some skylarks and nightingales that would be happy to help out. I’ll just let them know before I go meet Dashie.”

I walked over and hugged the Pegasus. “Thanks so much, Shy,” I told her. “I hope your night goes ok.”

She flushed a little again. “I do, too,” she said, waving a little before she left. I turned and levitated the picnic basket over and headed for the door, stopping as I spied myself in the mirror.

“Yikes,” I said, setting the basket down and rushing to my bedroom and pulling out a brush to tame the mess my mane had become.

I wanted tonight to be perfect.