• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 2,313 Views, 66 Comments

Meanwhile in the background - potatoarmy



A series of short stories following Colgate on her adventures with the other background ponies.

  • ...
4
 66
 2,313

Chapter 2 - Meet Berry, Derpy, and the Doctor.


Chapter 2 - Meet Berry Punch, Derpy, and the Doctor


After making a makeshift bed out of sheets, pillows, and pieces of furniture that came with the house, (all of which were thoroughly cleaned beforehand,) Colgate managed to fix the place up enough just so that she would be able to sleep in a relatively bug-free, nicely painted environment. And by bug free, that really just means that she set off a bug-bomb and swept all of the dead spiders into a corner and burned them. There were only two things in life that the minty unicorn would never show mercy, Adolf Hoofler and spiders.

Colgate has used her magic to quickly paint the top story of the house, which for some reason wasn't nearly as full of holes as the bottom. She figured she would need to fix up the bottom floor before painting it, which meant she'd have to live with that terrible shade of yellow that reminded her of cavities and bad teeth for a little longer. Or, at least until she stopped being too lazy to do physical labor that involved more work than magically rubbing a paint brush on things.


Just as she was outside her house putting the finishing touches on a sign that read 'Doctor Colgate's dentist office', a light purple earth pony with a dark magenta mane sauntered by and stopped to read the sign.

"Wait, this is a dentist's office?" Asked the stranger skeptically.

Colgate turned to face the mare, who had a curious yet tired expression.

"It will be soon," Answered Colgate. "I just moved here and it needs a bit of fixing up before I can start working."

"Thank Celestia! I thought I'd never see the day!" The mare's face turned to a smile, and Colgate could see that she had some severe tooth decay.

"Oh gee- I mean, It uh... might be a few days before I open. You should probably go see the dentist in Canterlot."

The mare shook her head.

"Well that's the thing, I'm sort of not allowed in Canterlot for a few more weeks. Princess Celestia forbid me from returning until after the Summer Sun Celebration."

It took Colgate a few moments to completely register what the earth pony was telling her, and a few more to imagine what she possibly could have done to make princess Celestia so angry with her.

"Oookay then. I'll tell you what, if you come back in two days I'll probably have everything I need to take a look. What's your name?"

"Thank you so much! I'm Berry Punch, you can probably guess my talent from my name, and it's not too friendly on my teeth."

Colgate nodded, but was still sickened by the notion of being stuck to a destiny like that.

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot!" Said Berry. "I'm supposed to take you to sugar cube corner!"

"Sugar Cube Corner? You mean the bakery? No thanks I don't really eat sweets."

Berry Punch shook her head.

"No, you don't get it. I HAVE to take you to Sugar Cube Corner."

"Huh? Why?"

"Just come on! Trust me!"

Colgate didn't particularly feel the need to head to every dentist's nightmare, and was in even less of a hurry to place her trust in a pony who somehow managed to tick off Princess Celestia enough to get banned from Canterlot. Regardless, she figured she would have to head back to that area of town to get supplies for fixing up the office, and that a quick stop by sugar cube corner couldn't hurt.

"Alright then, lead the way."


When they arrived at Sugar Cube Corner, all of the lights were off, and the windows shut. Berry didn't seem to notice, and walked straight up to the door and opened it.

"I think it's closed. We could always come back tomorrow." Said Colgate, worried that Berry might have some mental issues.

Berry Punch just ignored her, and continued on into the shop, disappearing into the darkness. Colgate sighed and followed her in.
"Berry I don't think we're supposed to be in he-"

The moment Colgate stepped hoof in the shop, all of the lights turned on at once, revealing a full room of ponies in party hats and a big banner across the room reading 'Welcome Colgate!'.

"SURPRIIIIIIISE!" Yelled the ponies in unison, including Berry Punch.

Colgate immediately recognized Pinkie Pie and Roseluck among the crowd, the former of which came bouncing up to her with a tray of cupcakes.

"Hiya Colgate! I put this surprise party together just for you! I always love to welcome new friends with a party! It's my special talent you know? Ooh! Do you have a special talent? Of course you do, I can see your cutie mark! What does it mean? Are you a time traveler? Oh! Or maybe you time things!"

\"Hi Pinkie. Actually, I'm a dentist."

Pinkie's expression darkened.

"A dentist?! Are you sure!? You don't look like a dentist....though your mane looks like tooth paste. But! Your cutie mark doesn't look like a tooth! I'm pretty sure dentists have teeth cutie marks! You're definitely a dentist?"

"Yes but-"

"Oh no! They've found out! My teeth are clean, I swear!"

Colgate could see as Pinkie spoke that the latter's teeth most definitely were not clean.

"Pinkie, I'm not going to-"

"Run for your cupcakes everypony!"

Before Colgate could get in another word, Pinkie ran for the door and burst outside into the street, startling some ponies outside. She kept running until she was completely out of sight of Colgate, who stood there in the doorway dumbfounded.

Suddenly, an unfamiliar yet very British voice called to Colgate from behind her.
" 'Scuse me, could I have a quick word?"

Colgate whipped around to see a brown, spiky maned stallion with a cutie mark that heavily resembled her own.

"Um...sure okay. What can I do for you, Mr.....?"

"Doctor." He corrected.

"Okay, Doctor who?"

"No, just Doctor. I'm the doctor."

"THE doctor? Oh no, can there only be one? I wasn't aware the position worked like that..."

"No, no! That's my name! I'm the doctor!"

"Oh....okay."

"Quick question, then I'll be out of your mane. I saw your cutie mark and well....er actually, you wouldn't happen to know of a place called Gallifrey, would you?"

Colgate cocked her head slightly.

"Gallifrey? No can't say I've ever heard of it."

The doctor sighed. "Of course not."

"Excuse me?"

"Never mind. How do you do that time thing?"

"I'm afraid I don't follow."

The doctor let out a long sigh.

"Of course you don't. Sorry to bother you, I'm sure I'll meet up with you again later, or maybe earlier. Either way, I've really got to go."

The doctor began to leave, but Colgate stepped in his way.

"Wait! So you've got a clock-making cutie mark, but you're a doctor?"

"Yes, aren't you the same?"

"So what does our cutie mark mean?"

"You just said it's for making clocks, right?"

"Well I guess so, but my who family makes clocks and my brother has a watch on his flank, and my dad has a grandfather clock while my mom has an alarm clock. So how do you know our cutie mark doesn't have to do with anything medical? Does that make sense?"

The doctor shrugged.

"Maybe for you, but I'm pretty sure it's just an hourglass for me. Now, I've really got to get going, my companion is waiting for me. Goodbye!"

Without waiting for a response, the Doctor suddenly took off through the front door, and ran in the very same direction as Pinkie, except instead of going straight he turned down an alleyway that Colgate could have sworn was a dead end. Deciding to ignore it, she made her way to the edge of the room where Roseluck and Berry Punch were waiting for her at a table.

"Are all of the ponies around here completely insane?" Asked Colgate as she took a seat between them.

"Well, yes." Answered Roseluck merrily. "But you'll soon find that's the charm of Ponyville."

"Besides," Mentioned Berry. "If we weren't insane, you wouldn't fit in so well!"

"Tell us a little about yourself," Pleaded Roseluck. "why doesn't your cutie mark fit your job?"

Colgate proceeded to explain her cutie mark and how she left the clock store to be a dentist, while both Roseluck and Berry listened intently.

"So what about you two?" Asked Colgate after finishing her story. "How did Berry get kicked out of Canterlot?"

Roseluck only shrugged, and Berry took a quick look around to make sure nopony was listening in, then finished her fourth glass of punch before speaking.

"Well, I don't like to talk about it," She admitted. "But basically my special talent isn't just for making punch, and I MAY or MAY NOT have been the reason Celestia raised the sun from the wrong side of the sky at last year's summer sun celebration."

"I had been wondering about that, I just assumed she was trying something new." Commented Colgate.

"That's not the only new thing she tried." Said Berry in a mocking tone.

"Berry!" Snapped Roseluck.

"Sorry, just kidding."

Roseluck decided the change the subject. "So I saw you talking to the doctor, did you manage to make any more sense out of his gibberish than anypony else?"

"Doubtful" Admitted Colgate.

"Between you and me, nopony has ever actually seen him do any doctoring. My friend Lyra asked some hospital workers about him, but he doesn't even work there!" Said Berry. "He's not even in Ponyville half of the time, some ponies think he must be a dealer."

"And by some ponies," Said Roseluck. "You mean yourself. He can't be a dealer, we always see him with Derpy, and she's such a sweet mare."

Colgate noticed Berry Punch loose her smile at the mention of Derpy, but decided not to question it. It was that very moment that somewhere in the very back of her head, Colgate's unnatural sense of time kicked in and she realized it was now exactly 4:00 PM.

"Oh right!" The new dentist suddenly announced. "I've got to stop by the market and get some supplies to fix up my new office. Would you two mind coming along to show me around?"

"Certainly." Said Roseluck, who wasn't a big fan of parties.

"Are you kidding?" Said Berry Punch, who WAS a big fan of parties. "Not while there's still half a bowl of punch left! I'll see you guys tomorrow!"


After a short trip around Ponyville's various market stands, Roseluck and Colgate arrived at the office with a small wagon of supplies in tow. The moment the two of them had fixed every holy and crack, Colgate immediately set to work painting the office.

"There! I couldn't go around calling myself a dentist when my office looked like it had a cavity!" Said Colgate.

"Well I'm glad you're in working condition now, I could think of a good few ponies who will be stopping by as soon as you open." Replied Roseluck.

"Well at least I know I'll have plenty of patients."

"Alright, I've got to get back to my flower stand now, but come by tomorrow and I'll introduce you to some of my friends!"

"Okay, bye Roseluck!"


Colgate gazed at her shiny new office with dignity, it's newly reinforced walls painted white and blue with a big tooth-shaped sign that read 'Doctor Colgate'. Colgate definitely felt that her new title had a nice ring to it, as if she was never meant to be Minuette in the first place. Roseluck had even managed to get one of those reclining chairs that dentists use, and all-in-all it looked like a whole new building rather than that yellow wreck it had been just earlier that day.

Just as she was about to retire to her new home for the day, Colgate caught sight of a grey pegasus mare heading her way with a letter in her mouth.

"Hey! You must be Colgate!"

The pegasus landed, and Colgate soon found that her eyes with both pointed in completely opposite directions. If not for her friendly smile, Colgate would have mistaken her for being under some kind of spell.

"Hi there. You're the mail mare?"

"Yep! I've got a letter for you, but you don't have a mailbox so I've been looking for you!"

"I've already got a letter? Who's it from?"

"Hmmm.... I dunno, it doesn't say."

"Well, thanks for delivering it. What's your name?"

"I'm Ditzy Doo, but my everypony just calls me Derpy."

"Really? So you know the doctor?"

"You mean Dr. Whooves? Yeah, he's really nice! I'd love to talk more, but I've got to deliver some mail to Los Perafus."

Derpy held up a letter as she spoke, as if she felt the need to prove she was going all the way there.

"Derpy, that says Las Pegasus."

"Oh? Really? Good, I was wondering where Los Perafus was anyways. Well, I'll see you later!"

And on that note, Derpy flew off......in the wrong direction. Colgate was about to call out to her when she noticed yet another visitor standing by her door. This one she recognized.

"Don't worry about Derpy, she always makes it there somehow." Said the doctor.

"Ack! Where do you keep coming from?"

The doctor looked confused. "We've met?"

"Yeah, we met earlier at the party. Don't you remember?"

"Well I should probably head there later then, I can't wait to meet you."

"What?"

"Sorry, um...yes of course I remember you. You're-"

Colgate caught the doctor peeking at the sign on the office.

"-Doctor Colgate! Right, it was great meeting you.....earlier."

"Well if you'll excuse me, it's already 6:43 and It's been a long day so-"

"How'd you do that?"

"How did I do what?"

"You knew the time without looking."

"It's just a thing that I do. Is that important?"

"Of course. Everything is important."

"Okay, well 'Doctor' I'm going to go inside my office to get some sleep, and you're NOT going to follow me, okay?"

"Right, of course."


And Colgate did just that. The last image Colgate saw of the doctor that night was of him waving good-bye as she awkwardly closed the door, with a ridiculous smile plastered on his face.