• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 758 Views, 3 Comments

Ipomoea Alba - The Vagabond



Harmony is restored to Equestria...for the moment.

  • ...
 3
 758

Fight For Survival

Fight For Survival

The Next Night

“Are you sure you’re telling me everything, sister?”

“Yes! I didn’t mean to cause anypony any trouble.”

“I’m sorry but, I just don’t feel it. I know you’re hiding something.”

“But…but…”

“No! You need to tell me everything. If there is something wrong, know that I will do all I can to help you, sis.”

“I’m sorry, Tia, but I don’t think that will be necessary.”

The elder sister peered over her younger, trying to make sense of her excuse for being late. “Guards, will you please give us some privacy.”

“Right away, your majesty!”

The doors closed and the two alicorn sisters were left alone, the younger with eyes wide in fear.

“I need to know everything, sister. Please, close your eyes.”

“But, sis –“

Celestia touched her horn down on Luna’s forehead and brought both of them into a trance.

~~~~~

The air was covered in dark miasma, as Celestia tried to focus on her sister.

Luna, can you hear me?

I’m right here, Tia.

I…I can’t feel you…

I’m sorry, Tia…but I can’t…

Can’t what?

I…I don’t want to worry you…

Luna! Please, what could be so bad?

If…if I show you…you promise you won’t try anything…

…I promise, Luna.

A portion of the dark miasma was lit up above Celestia, and the silhouette of an alicorn was produced. Shortly, the miasma began to part.

Just remember…you promised.

Celestia focused on the dark figure above her, her mouth agape and eyes wide.

Oh, Luna…tell me this isn’t you…

The large, pitch black alicorn looked down, ashamed for exposing herself.

I’m sorry, Tia. It’s not entirely me, but…I don’t know…

No, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have reacted that way. I’m sure you are there.

Hmph…thanks.

Luna forced a short giggle before continuing.

Apparently, this is how I will be. Considering I’m the princess of the night, I’m not surprised I should take this form.

What do you mean?

Can’t you see? Nopony would want face a princess who took this form. That’s why they sleep during the night. So they could dream of anything but me!

Sister, where do you get these wild accusations? And who told you that this was how you would mature?

Well, when we fought Discord I –

I KNEW IT! I was afraid that that wretched beast would interfere with our rule! I just wish I’d have known the lengths he would go to.

Stamping her forehooves down on a part of the plane, Celestia had managed to disperse some of the dark miasma surrounding her and her sister. Glancing up, she noticed that Luna winced at about the same time. Taking note that her power had an effect on her sister’s mind, Celestia made sure to tread lightly.

Luna, don’t believe a word that he says! He plays on the dissension of order. He’s trying to fashion your mind into his own design; trying to turn one of us against the other!

Don’t worry sister, he has no sway over my thoughts.

Celestia sighed in relief, but the moment was cut short.

But I ask, how can you be so sure I WON’T take this form?

Because…you and I are of the same blood. Discord is cunning, but he is no match for the royal alicorn sisters. He’s obviously trying to manipulate the world to his liking because he fears what we have formed. We move the sun and moon ourselves, so he has every right to fear us. But he has no right to interfere with the order of Equestria. The very order our parents strived to maintain for so long; not just for us, but for all of pony kind. And that is why, Discord…you will not win.

The surrounding miasma began to converge in-between the sisters. Luna grimaced again as her astral body was returning to its old form; more of the miasma pouring out from her.

Welly, welly, well. It seems I’ve underestimated Princess Celestia. Do tell, how did you know?

Please, it was nothing. Did you really expect me to not recognize my own sister?

Not that easily, but no matter. The odds are still in my favor. – snap –

AUUGGHH!!

Luna’s eyes blazed with white light as her body transformed back into the nightmarish alicorn she feared she would be. Celestia stood in shock at the power that was discharged from the younger and was now rushing toward her.

LUNA N –

~~~~~

Celestia’s body was knocked back against the wall thanks to the magical blast that came from her sister. Guards and builders alike watched in awe as the roof to Luna’s chamber was thrown skyward. A dark aura covered what was left of the room, obscuring the view inwards and prohibiting anyone from entering. Where Luna once lay, the dark alicorn now stood.

“OH WHAT A JOY IT IS TO FINALLY SPREAD MY WINGS. AND IN CANTERLOT NO LESS…”
OH WHAT A JOY IT IS TO FINALLY SPREAD MY WINGS. AND IN CANTERLOT NO LESS…

Celestia struggled to her hooves, doing her best not to show just how much the impact had affected her. “And who exactly might you be?”

“WHY, DEAR SISTER. DON’T YOU RECOGNIZE ME? HAHAHA…”
WHY, DEAR SISTER. DON’T YOU RECOGNIZE ME? HAHAHA…

“No! You are not my sister. You are an abomination that has poisoned her mind…and it will not go unpunished!”

Celestia charged at the black alicorn, her horn glowing in preparation to release her sister from whatever control Discord had over her. Unfortunately, the beast was quicker than their last meeting and dodged to side, sending Celestia into another portion of the wall. The wall itself could not hold still from the impact and began to topple over, taking the older princess with it. Celestia regained her composure and spread her wings. She dodged the surrounding debris and flew back up to the now clouded but empty room.

Ugh…she can’t have gone far…but wh-

“LOOKING FOR SOMEPONY?”
LOOKING FOR SOMEPONY?

Celestia barely dodged the alicorn diving from above and took to the air herself. What was once her sister bolted back into the air and charged at her now.

“Luna, you don’t want to do this!”

“OH I’M SORRY. LUNA CAN’T REACH YOU RIGHT NOW!”
OH I’M SORRY. LUNA CAN’T REACH YOU RIGHT NOW!

The black alicorn made contact with the readied Celestia, taking them both higher into the sky above their castle.

“I know you’re in there, Luna! Please say something!”

“YOU JUST DO NOT SEEM TO GET IT! YOUR SISTER WAS WEAK AND NOW IT’S TIME I TOOK OVER!
YOU JUST DO NOT SEEM TO GET IT! YOUR SISTER WAS WEAK AND NOW IT’S TIME I TOOK OVER!

IT’S HIGH TIME THAT THE NIGHT RULES THE LAND!”
IT’S HIGH TIME THAT THE NIGHT RULES THE LAND!

The pair shifted through the night sky, dancing amongst the stars for all of Canterlot and the surrounding areas to see. Each time they physically met, waves of bright magic lit the air. Beams of magic from their horns shot like meteorites against the dark backdrop. Celestia faltered at times but kept strong, knowing she was doing well in keeping up with her sister’s altered state and striking back just as strong. However, she knew that it had to end soon, lest she fail in regaining Luna’s sanity.

Celestia powered up her horn and braced herself as the black alicorn charged at her once again. This is it. If I could just find Luna in there, I should be able to break whatever spell Discord cast over her. The impact of the alicorns sent another shockwave of magic through the sky and Celestia did all she could to trap her foe’s hooves within her own. The pair plummeted towards the earth as Celestia made a last ditch effort to reclaim her sister; lowering her horn onto the black alicorn.

~~~~~

LUNA PLEASE! SAY SOMETHING

TIA! WHAT’S HAPPENING? YOU’RE…HURTING ME!

Luna, can you hear me?

WHY ARE YOU…DOING THIS TO ME?

It’s not you that’s in control of your own body right now. I’m sorry sister, but I had to weaken the state of Discord’s magic over you!

BUT IT…IT’S…IT’S HURTING ME!

Sister, reach out to me! If I can pull you out, I should be able to free you from his grasp!

I CAN’T CONCENTRATE…THERE’S TOO MUCH…

Focus! I know you can do it!

Oh no! I am NOT losing this one again – snap –

~~~~~

In a bright flash of light, Celestia was propelled from her sister, hurtling faster to the ground. She spread her wings as quickly as she could and caught the wind she needed to avoid slamming her body into the ground. After regaining stability, she turned around just in time to see Luna being pulled towards the direction of the cursed forest, and their former fortress, in a dark magical aura; her screams growing faint in seconds.

“LUNA! NOOO!”

Celestia floated down to the ground, her face in utter disbelief at the events that transpired. Not only did she lose to Discord’s magic, but she had lost her own sister in the process. Tears began to form in her eyes and Celestia fell to the ground as her own thoughts caught up with the recent information.

“Luna” – sniff – “no…no!”

“THERE SHE IS!” A section of the Royal Guard had followed the direction of the final blast of magic in search of their princesses. They formed a perimeter around the white alicorn as the Captain approached her.

“Your highness! Are you alright?! What has happened?!”

Celestia just continued her soft sobbing, doing her best to avoid speaking.

“You are wounded! Come. We must get you and – where is your sister?! Has she been wounded too?!”

The simple mention was all it took as Celestia’s composure was lost and tears flowed down her face.

“Pyle! Gather your men and search the area for Princess Luna! Report back to castle when you’ve found her. The rest of you, we are to escort Princess Celestia back to the castle at once.”

“Sir! Winston says he saw a dark aura shoot towards the former location of Canterlot! Should we start our investigation there?”

“That…that won’t be necessary. She…she’s…gone.”

The men turned towards their princess. She stood up but still wavered in her steps; the tears slowing their flow.

“But your majesty, if we can confirm her –“

“NO! I…I can’t let you do that. Her mind was warped by Discord and…I couldn’t…I couldn’t save her…What chance do you men have?”

The guards grew silent and did their best to avoid Celestia’s stern yet watery eyes.

“Don’t get me wrong…I am NOT giving up hope. I just…I need to devise a strategy that even Discord cannot win against. What that is exactly, I just…I don’t...don't know.”

“Your Majesty! I don’t mean to interrupt, but there might be a way. Your parents had left the knowledge of a power that, only in the direst of circumstances, could be used to vanquish any who would oppose the kingdom.”

“WHAT?! Why am I only hearing of this now?”

The Captain bowed as far down as he could to the ground and continued his explanation. “I apologize, your majesty! But as I was saying, your parents had hoped you and your sister would not need to utilize this magic during your rule. They had entrusted the guards of their rule with its secrets that were to be passed down as generations came and went. They had struggled to achieve the peace that you both preside over, and had hoped it would last forever.”

Celestia stood firm, gazing out into the direction Luna had vanished to. I suppose they didn’t expect anypony... or beast...to turn one of us against the other. But will it work? She called out to her men.

“Guards!”

“ATTEN~TION!”

“Let’s head back to Canterlot. I fear that I can’t win the battle for Luna as I am now, but…if what you say is true, then we can stand a chance for when Discord decides to strike again. Move out!”

Celestia and the guards rose towards the sky as they headed back towards Canterlot to regroup.

Don't worry, Luna. I won't forget you and I will do everything I can to bring you back home.

Comments ( 1 )

Well I must admit, in writing and editing the third part, I decided that this section should stand alone. If I had added it to the third, that part would be too long for my taste. Consider this an interlude (and hopefully a good one).

Also, there have been a couple personal events going on that will affect the time I can finish the next part so the whole weekly thing is thrown off. At least they're positive events. I will do my best to finish this up as I've got another story mostly fleshed out (short, actiony one-shot) and hope to release that one in a few weeks (again with the 'hope').

Login or register to comment