• Published 31st Jul 2017
  • 5,320 Views, 339 Comments

Spectrum of Lightning - Seriff Pilcrow



Dive into the secret past of Twilight Velvet—mother of the Princess of Friendship—as she embarks on her first guns-blazing adventure with the Whip-Cracking Crusader. Volume 1 of Daring Did: Tales of an Adventurer's Companion

  • ...
3
 339
 5,320

Chapter 6: Off the Rails

The New Friendship Express had coasted to a stop in the middle of the Equestrian countryside, its coach and first-class cars decoupled from the rest of the train in a smoking, twisted mass of metal and wood. A crowd of ponies wandered outside the train like sheep, the surviving security guards herding the passengers into clusters while medics tried their best to patch up the wounded. With the guards' numbers thinned out in the gunfight minutes before, however, the other crew members had to do double duty. It was a good thing none of the passengers were killed…and that crazed gunmares didn't count as passengers.

Sitting on a rock far from everypony else, Twilight Velvet allowed the wind to flap her mane and separate it into white and purple strands, her saddlebags flattening the grass beside her. She dabbed a tissue at her bloodied nose and tossed it aside. Though her magical capacity had recovered in the past several minutes, her horn was still throbbing in time with her headache, every muscle ached, and her eyes were having a hard time focusing. Somehow though, she was sporting the biggest grin of her life.

Was there brain damage? Probably…but she'd have to worry about that later.

Her eyes drifted to Canterlot, the mountain it was perched on looming over the countryside. It wasn't far. She could reach the city limits by motorcycle in around two hours, plus another twenty minutes snaking through the streets to get to her condominium. All she had to do was get cleaned up, buy some magic regenerative cream for her cheek wound, pray to Celestia the police wouldn't come looking for her, and she could leave it all in the past. Now that the notebook was back with its rightful owner, it wasn't like she could obtain more information on the Spectrum of Lightning…or why armed thugs would be so interested in it. The article was going to have to rely entirely on firsthoof account.

Why are things never easy?

The sound of grass crunching underhoof directed Velvet's attention to her rear. She turned to the source of the noise: a sienna mare rolling a bright red motorcycle towards the rock. The mare's cornflower blue uniform, a collared blouse with a translucent skirt, accentuated the bounce in her behind—a better identifier than anything else. Velvet hopped off the rock, approached the attendant, and took Evy by the handlebars, giving the attendant a smile. "Thanks, bud."

The attendant looked down, trying to conceal the flush spreading through her cheeks. "Least I could do. You and your friend saved us back there."

Velvet chuckled. "'Friend?' I only met her today. I don't even know if I'll ever see her again."

"Don't discount that possibility. Friendships have to start somewhere." The blush on the attendant's cheeks had only deepened. "Friendships and...other relationships..."

But Velvet didn't return the blush. "Acutally, sorry, but–"

"I know, I know." The attendant's ears drooped as she turned away. "Your 'barn door doesn't swing that way,' I remember."

"Not just that, actually. I'm...taken. I may have the mouth of a broodmare, but there's only one stallion for me."

Velvet watched the attendant trudge back to the train, then shook her head. She cantered to the attendant and put a hoof on her withers. "But hey, maybe someday, you'll find a mare out there who's right for you."

The attendant looked up at Velvet's eyes. The blush was gone, but the smile had returned. "Thanks."

Velvet gazed at the train and the cop cars converging beside it, their red and blue beacons strobing in the distance. "So what's next for you?"

"Maybe I'll get the police off your tail—let them know you aren't a threat. You and the other pony didn't fire the first shot."

"And they'll believe you? You're just one pony after all."

The attendant straightened the collar of her uniform. "One pony is all it takes to make a difference."

Velvet snorted. "You sound like Wheat Grass." The attendant raised an eyebrow in response, prompting Velvet to clarify. "College roommate."

"I'll keep that in mind." The attendant nodded. "Anyway, good luck with...whatever it is you're doing. And for Celestia's sake, I hope it's not as explosive as this."

"I can't make any promises." Velvet gave the attendant a smirk as she started toward the train.

Upon returning to the rock, Velvet took some pliers out of her saddlebags and leaned towards the fender of her motorcycle. Thankfully, the bullet didn't puncture the wheel, but it had embedded itself two thirds of the way through the mudguard and warped the metal surrounding it. As Velvet grasped the bullet with her pliers and jostled it out, she winced at each screech of protest the metal produced.

“Sorry, Evy, but this is for your own good!”

There was an audible clunk as the stubborn bullet finally relented. The pliers jerked backwards, and Velvet barely dodged the handles as they came dangerously close to giving her another battle scar. After dusting off the soil on her legs, Velvet got up, inspected the hole, and sighed. Evy was going to need some TLC when she got home. At least the bullet hadn't pierced through the wheel. The Rough Saddle Bikes RSB-650 was a hard bastard that lived up to the name of its manufacturer, unlike the glorified lawnmowers of yesteryear, so it was no surprise to Velvet that its mudguard could stop a bullet.

“Look at the bright side, Evy.” Velvet forced a smile. “Some bikes have bullet hole stickers; you've got the real deal.”

A gust of wind from behind swept Velvet's tail forward. Her fur stood on end. Velvet spun around.

A mare in a dark cloak, her muzzle inches from Velvet's own.

Velvet jumped. Her body hit her motorcycle, causing it to fall over onto the grass. Only when she was able to focus on the mare herself did she regain her composure.

“Dari—”

“Shh…” The pegasus quickly planted a hoof on Velvet's mouth. Velvet's eyebrows widened at first, then furrowed when the bitter taste of countryside dirt reached her brain.

“It's bad enough that some of the ponies there now know I exist because of you. Don't dig yourself deeper, kid.”

As Velvet freed her mouth and lowered Daring Do's foreleg, her eyes scanned Daring's garb. The pith helmet and the green shirt were exchanged for a purple cloak and a lumpy gray hat with a white ribbon. Red thick-rimmed glasses perched over Daring's eyes, the lack of refraction telling Velvet that they lacked a grade.

“First of all, you look like my grandmare!” Velvet hissed. “Second, what do you mean ‘know you exist?’ Are you a spy for S.M.I.L.E. or something?”

“No, S.M.I.L.E. deals with cryptids and changelings. Also, their missions aren't usually that unsubtle.” Daring readjusted her glasses and pointed to the wrecked portion of the train. "You certainly didn't help with making me more covert, though."

“So why the secrecy?”

“My line of work nets me a lot of enemies. You should know. Soon you'll have the scar to prove it.”

Velvet touched the wound on her cheek. The pain was gone, but a light breeze caused the skin around it to feel cool…in both senses of the word.

“At least I'll have one hell of a story to tell by the water cooler! Speaking of which…”

With her magic, Velvet took her notebook and a pen out of her saddlebags and levitated them in front of her. “—you mind if I ask you a few questions? I mean, standard protocol for Scientific Equestrian says that I have to introduce myself to you first, but I think we've already covered that base.”

Daring frowned, both at Velvet and at her notebook. “I don't even know why I came here to see you,” she said as she turned to leave.

“Hey, don't be like that!” chirped Velvet. “I can change names. I can leave out incriminating information. Your secret's safe with me, Supermare!” Velvet declared, gesticulating with her front leg.

There was a moment of silence between the two as the wind rustled the grass and whispered into their ears. A grumble from Daring's pursed lips broke the ice.

“Journalists…” Daring spat on the ground. “Only thing worse than fanboys.”

Not the most creative insult, not that Velvet wasn't used to it. “So, what is it you do exactly? You some kind of soldier of fortune?”

“Archeologist, actually.”

“Really?” Velvet put the back end of her pen near her mouth, raised an eyebrow, then pointed the pen at Daring. “If you're an archeologist, then I'm the doting mother of an Alicorn princess.”

“Let's not forget who made all the notes you'd swiped.”

Velvet blinked a few times and glanced at the ground.

“Touché. So, can you tell me more about where you—”

She looked up just in time to see Daring spreading her wings and turning backwards. “Anyway, nice meeting you,” she said, Velvet noting that the words were said quicker than usual. “I suppose this is the last time we'll be seeing each other, kid.”

“No, I'm coming with you.”

Daring's wings folded back as she stopped, her head turning to the side to scrutinize Velvet.

“Um...” Daring tapped her hoof to her chin. “No.”

Her smile began to fade as Velvet kept a straight face.

“Dear Celestia, you're serious, aren't you?”

“Yeah.” Velvet crossed her front legs.

“But why? You've got a death wish or something?”

A grin played its way across Velvet's muzzle. “I've never felt more alive.” She closed her eyes for a moment before breathing deeply. Finally, she opened them and stared hard into Daring's own. “Is that what it's like for you? Every day feeling like an adventure? Always on the knife's edge?”

Daring put a hoof to her face and growled through her teeth. “You can't—” Daring stomped. “I'm not a foalsitter!” She turned away from Velvet, wings rustling in agitation. “Don't be naive. It's not just armed thugs I have to contend with.” Daring extended her wings. “There's ancient death traps, undead guardians protecting said traps, artifacts that screw with your mind and body, and—”

“Pfft…”

A snicker interrupted Daring's rant. She centered her eyes on Velvet's face, a cheeky grin spreading across it.

“Say that last thing again…” Velvet said.

“Get your mind out of the gutter! I'm not messing around! Point is, it's dangerous out there.” Daring pointed at the horizon. “Go home. If it'll convince you to get off my back, fine! I'll allow you to write that article of yours. Just...try to maintain what little anonymity I can salvage from that wreck." Daring gestured at the smoldering train, then shoved a hoof at Velvet's chest.

"But you coming with me? You'll likely come home in a bodybag...if at all. You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

"And that's exactly it!" Velvet's words stopped Daring from trying to turn away and leave. "You're right. I don't know how deep the rabbit hole is. And what better way to find out than to hop in?"

Geez, listen to yourself! Velvet scolded herself. The hell's wrong with you? And yet...no denying it... Maybe I do want dive in headfirst!

Daring's jaw hung open, then she shook her head and groaned. "Okay…okay, you're nuts. Not just naive, but nuts. Let's put it another way. You're doing this for the thrill, right? If it's thrill you want, why not ride the Wild Blue Yonder at Las Pegasus? Or go bungee jumping over Luna Bay? At least nopony will try to kill you in those places!"

Velvet slid from the rock and plopped onto the ground. "First of all, I'm not nuts. I'm crazy. Big difference. Second, I've already done all of that stuff... plus a lot more." Velvet walked over to her motorcycle and patted her front fairing. "Isn't that right, Evy?"

As Velvet continued to stroke Evy's brilliant red frame, Daring raised an eyebrow.

"Let's not get into specifics, though. She doesn't like being reminded about the Fillydelphia motocross trials." Velvet sat on the ground beside Evy. "You get my point. Motorsports and bungee jumping are one thing. But gunplay? Beating the crap out of bad guys? I don't know how to do those things yet, but I'd sure like to learn!"

Biting her lip, Daring brought one of her hooves to her face. "Twilight...is it? Even if I wanted to babysit you and I didn't work better alone, what good will letting you tag along do? You're just a journalist!" She shot a hoof towards Velvet. "Are you a historian? A fighter? Hell, a fellow archeologist?!"

Velvet extended a hoof towards Daring and motioned her to calm down. “Hey, we make a pretty good team. Remember Birdshot? Hm? No? How about the time you gave me your whip? Besides, couple extra hooves never hurt anypony."

An irritated grunt escaped Daring's clenched teeth as she dug a hoof into the ground and pursed her lips. Velvet, meanwhile, had put the notebook and pen back in her bags and started undoing the curl on her mane. At the corner of Velvet's vision, Daring stared at the sunset and huffed.

“Let's put it another way,” Velvet echoed. “Do you know what kind of thugs you're dealing with?"

"What?" Daring sputtered. "How is that releva–"

"Just answer the question..."

Daring's eyes gravitated to the ground, and she put a hoof to her chin. "I have a hunch, but..."

Several seconds of silence followed. Daring put her hoof down without finishing her sentence.

"I'll take that as a no," Velvet said while removing soot and glass particles from her mane. "Anyway, think about it. If those thugs were able to track me from my hotel in Vanhoover to that train in less than a day, who's to say they can't track me down to my apartment? They could beat the shit out of me and extract information that could undermine your search for the Spectrum. And by then, you won't be around to save me."

"Then don't go home," growled Daring. "I know someone in the south who can let you stay in a safehouse and–"

"Don't you get it?" Velvet creased her eyebrows. "Your solution still requires me to accompany you. And like I said, we make a great team. You really want me to stuff myself inside a dusty old barn in Dodge Junction—wait in fear to learn whether or not I can go home—when I could be helping you save the world? Hell no."

Daring sat on the grass and hung her head. Time to seal the deal.

"If it makes you feel better, I'll do my best to avoid stepping on your hooves." Velvet softened her tone. "I'll be the student. You'll be the master. What you say goes."

Daring sucked in a breath as she basked in the afternoon sun.

“I work alone…”

Velvet hung her head and folded her ears back. So much for her big scoop.

“…normally. In your case, I'll make an exception.”

“You will?” Velvet perked her ears up. “Sweet! Where do we sta—”

“Hold up,” Daring plugged a hoof on Velvet's mouth. Velvet gagged at another unannounced free sample of Grade A Free Range Extra Virgin countryside dirt. Daring's eyes focused her eyes on her front leg, then at Velvet's creased eyes.

“Sorry.” Daring lowered her hoof and spread her left wing outwards. “If you want to come with me, we're going to lay down some house rules.” A feather from Daring's left wing extended into the air. “First, stick by my side. The last thing I need is another partner running off and getting killed. I'd put a damn leash on you if I could, but you're a pony, not a pet.”

Fluttering her eyelashes at Daring, Velvet contorted her face into a smirk.

“Woof woof.”

As Daring glared at Velvet and frowned, the latter shot a hoof forwards.

“Hey, the way you worded it makes it look you like you're in desperate need to get off on somepony.”

Velvet gave off a giggle and smiled at the still-frowning Daring.

“Anyway”—Daring raised a second feather—“two, once we get this whole thing done, we go our separate ways.”

“Uh huh…”

“Three…”

Daring put a hoof onto her chin and looked down.

“Make yourself useful.”

Velvet stood from the rock and put on her saddlebags. “Sounds like a plan! Partners?” she said, extending her hoof.

Daring simply stood in place, her eyebrows furrowing at Velvet's hoof.

“Do you have an allergy to hoofshakes or something?” A tinge of annoyance lingered in Velvet's tone of voice as her hoof trembled slightly. “Want a hoofbump inst—”

Velvet felt the tug of Daring's hoof on hers.

“Partners.”

The word was said with the gravelly, almost guttural timbre that Velvet had since associated with Daring's non-fighting voice. Velvet most definitely did not squee like a little filly.

Velvet walked to her motorcycle and propped it upright. “So where to?” she said as she put the keys in the ignition and flicked the kill switch on.

Daring craned her head upwards, the sunlight reflecting from her eyes dimming as night fell. The chorus of crickets ever so slightly began to fill the landscape. In the distance, the two mares noted one or two lights from the windows of Canterlot switching on, along with the strobing beacons of the ambulances and police cars near the train.

“It's late,” said Daring. “Maybe it's better if we start tomorrow.”

“If you say so.” Velvet raised her voice, Evy growling to life, then gestured a hoof towards Daring. “Hop on! You can crash at my place.”

A reflexive twitch on Daring's back caused her cloak to fold slightly. “Oh right. Wings.”

“It's fine,” Daring said as she climbed onto the bike. “I can't fly very well in this cloak anyway.”

“Go ahead, take it off.” Velvet now sported a wide grin. “There's nopony watching.”

“Do you have an off button?”

“Nope!”

Daring climbed onto the motorcycle as she shook her head, folding her cloak to avoid the wheels. Velvet took a moment to look at her helmet hanging from the handlebars, the aroma of Eu de Rush Hour still lingering from the lining. Velvet's nose wrinkled. Petty reason, sure. But did she really want to wear the helmet now?

A passing whiff of iron directed Velvet's attention to her prior nosebleed and the jacketed stallion smashing her snout in. Velvet settled into her seat. She'd wash at home; besides, she smelled pretty hot. She caught a glimpse of Daring's impatient expression in the corner of her eye.

“Helmet or I don't drive," said Velvet.

“Whatever happened to wanting to live on the knife's edge?” Daring's last few words were muffled slightly when Velvet slid the helmet over her head.

“There's a difference between being gung-ho and being a dumbass. What about you? Surely you want to die a good death and not blow it on an auto accident?”

Daring took out her sun helmet and knocked on it. “I'm cool, thanks,” she said as she put it on and adjusted the straps.

The tug of Daring's hooves around Velvet's belly caused a small puff of air to escape from her mouth. Normally, such a hold was only reserved for Night Light, but before Velvet could voice her protests, her ears caught the ever so faint, rasp mutterings of her passenger over the din of the motorcycle revving up and speeding out of countryside.

“I hope this one will have a better ending.”


Her legs folded on one of two couches, Twilight Velvet stared out the window of her condominium. Her journal lay on a nearby coffee table, the recollection of the day's events taking up three times the number of pages it took to describe what had happened in the previous week. The gash on her cheek and the nick on her temple felt cooler than before, no doubt the magic regenerative cream doing its work in accelerating the healing process.

“Hey! Hey, Twilight!” a voice echoed from the bathroom. “Which towel should I use?”

“Agh, I forgot to get the towels out of the basket,” Velvet muttered to herself. “Just hang in there, Daring! I'll save you!”

Velvet got out of the couch, retrieved the towels, and walked to the ajar door, steam billowing from behind the door. As Velvet levitated one of the white cloths to Daring, two knocks sounded from the front. Velvet's ears twitched—not so much from the knocking itself, but the voice that soon followed.

“Velvet, honey? You there? Are you alright?”

The agitation in the stallion's voice diffused through the door and into Velvet's now-prickling fur. Impeccable timing. Another two knocks resounded through the room. Velvet darted her head between the main door and the bathroom door. She put her hoof down, marched to the door, and sucked in a breath.

A cloud of magic turned the lock at the door and caused it to creak ever so slightly.

The door flew open.

Velvet stepped back, the handle barely missing her snout. Her eyes met Night Light's shrunken pupils and his tangled mess of a mane. Before she could comment, he leapt forward and pulled her into a tight hug.

“Oh, thank Celestia, you're okay! I heard about what happened in the news. You must have been scared out of your wits!”

Gasping for air, Velvet tried to paw her way out of Night Light's grip. The stallion's hooves brushed against her coat, not to mention the mane curl at the back of her neck. “‘Scared?’ Me? Do you…even know your…fiancée?” she croaked before managing to push Night Light off and pointing a hoof to herself. “It's gonna take more than a few goons to get this bitch to crack!”

Night Light didn't return Velvet's smile. Instead, his eyes focused on the center of Velvet's face, prompting her to cock her head. “Honey, what's wrong?”

Velvet's nose wrinkled at the faint scent of iron and a feeling of something trickling down her snout. She raised her hoof to touch the blood that had resumed flowing from her nose, but Night Light beat her to it. His hoof then gravitated to the right and smeared the cheek wound, Velvet seething slightly from the ensuing sting.

Scheisse!” Night Light's face contorted to a frown as his eyes centered at Velvet's bleeding nose. “You've got blood all over your face! What happened?”

Velvet opened her mouth to speak, but the sound of a door opening from the other side of the room interrupted her. “Let's, uh, let's take it outside.” A toothy, nervous smile materialized on Velvet's face as she took Night Light by the withers and spun him around, making sure to keep his eyes off the bathroom door and her guest. Amid Night Light's annoyed protests, she led him into the hallway and closed the door.

“Velvet, what is going on?” Night Light furrowed his eyebrows. “Please, just tell me. ‘Shoulder to cry on,’ remember?”

Velvet scratched her front hooves, trying to figure out what to say. She couldn't let him in on this. One hanger-on was enough for Daring. She probably wouldn't approve of two.

“I crashed my motorcycle on the way here.”

Night Light settled on his legs and exhaled. “Oh, that's it? It's not a gunshot wound?”

Velvet glanced downward, then back at Night Light. "No... Just...just an unfriendly sidewalk!"

Night Light glanced aside, the corners of his mouth turned upward as he furrowed his eyebrows. “Wouldn't be the first time.”

“Actually—" Velvet tapped her hooves together "—not just that, I…”

The image of the cloaked mare's death flashed in her mind. I can't tell him yet. I'm not ready.

“I've got a big assignment coming up in the next two days. The higher-ups in the magazine want me to go interview a historian down south…” Velvet tried to psych herself up by gesticulating one of her front hooves. “And as you know, a journalist's work is never done!”

A wide, toothy smile spread on Velvet's face. The bottom part of her lip quivered as she stared into Night Light's eyes. She felt a trickle of sweat slide down her temple and hoped Night Light didn't see it.

“Are you sure, Vel?” Night Light furrowed his eyebrows. “I can't imagine what you've gone through. Ponies getting shot, bullets fired near you… And you're just going to go back to work like it never happened?” He paused for a moment. "Granted, this is you we're talking about. You've always been one to stare danger squarely in the face, but still..."

He put a hoof around Velvet's shoulder.

“Try to explain your situation to your boss. She'll understand—give you some time off to clear your head…that kind of stuff.”

“But that's the thing, Nachtlicht!”

Velvet raised a hoof at that last word, but lowered it when Night Light returned the favor by glaring at her and grumbling.

“Sorry, not the best time to call you that. But anyway, that historian I told you about? She found something big.” Velvet stopped for a moment to filter her knowledge of what was in Daring's notebook to sound less incriminating. “This isn't another one of my boring old seminars!” Velvet drove the point home with a hoof. “Remember when I said I would wait for something to hit me? Get me out of the rut? This is it, Night Light. This is finally it.”

Night Light put a hoof to his chin and glanced at the floor.

“Two days, right?”

“Hopefully.”

Lost in thought, both ponies stood without saying a word, the only sounds coming from motorists outside.

Night Light stroked Velvet's cheek and smiled.

“Just keep in touch. Remember what you said back in Vanhoover? ‘I always find a way.’”

Taking Velvet's neck, Night Light brought Velvet's head close to his until their horns touched.

“Good luck kiss?” asked Night Light.

A soft purr rumbled from Velvet's mouth as she caressed Night Light's cheek.

“That means ‘yes’ back in Germaneigh,” Night Light said.

Velvet let out an amused chuckle. “Then show me the ways of your people.”

Their lips touched, and for a few seconds, she felt herself uncoil. There was a release, not of the same kind Velvet got from an adrenaline rush, but of a more soothing kind. The kiss didn't last long, and its backdrop—a hallway with burnt browns and drab greens—could have been more spicy. But it didn't matter for Velvet.

For the first time since the train fiasco, the weight was off her shoulders.

Night Light stepped back. “Feel better?”

Velvet blushed and looked away. “Hell yeah…”

“I'm just glad to see you're all right. Hope it stays that way…”

He took Velvet's hoof with his two front hooves. “…wherever you go.”

Velvet was about to return to her room, but she thought she heard Night Light speak again.

“And honey?"

She turned her head to look at Night Light.

”Motorcycle crashes don't smell like gunpowder.”

All the color drained from Velvet's face. ”But...how...I'm sorry, I...wait...”

”No, stop.” Night Light motioned Velvet to stop sputtering and calm down. ”Whatever it is you're planning to do, I probably don't want to know more. Just...just don't go wandering off beyond where you told me you were going—Southern Equestria, right?”

Velvet nodded wordlessly in response.

”'Two days' time.'” Night Light echoed, a small smile inching its way through. ”Keep yourself safe, my star.”

Night Light gave his fiance one last peck, then disappeared down the stairs. Velvet sighed to herself and opened the door.

She was greeted by a naked Daring's now non-bloodied visage. Before Velvet could question her, Daring poked her head out the door and looked left, then right. “Is he gone?” the pegasus asked.

Velvet sputtered, then pushed Daring back into the room. “How long have you been spying on us?”

The hint of a smile made its way to Daring's mouth. “Guess I'm a 'historian down south' now. You do realize what kind of mental image that brings to mind, right? I can imagine myself as a fat senior sitting on a rocking chair while wearing a ten-gallon hat.”

Velvet snickered. “That far in, huh? Y'know, once we get back to Canterlot after we go to…wherever it is we're going, you two should really get to know each other.”

Daring scratched the back of her neck. “Ehh… I think I'll pass. He's only got eyes for you.”

Daring walked to one of the couches and climbed up, while Velvet, disappointed upon opening the refrigerator and discovering that she had run out of Pinot Noir, helped herself to a glass of chilled Cabernet Sauvignon. Taking the glass with her magic, she walked to the second couch and sat on it.

“Hey, Twilight,” said Daring.

“Yeah?”

“You have weird ideas for nicknames. ‘Nachtlicht?’ Really?”

Velvet took a swig from the long-overdue wine and exhaled, allowing the alcohol to soothe her aching mind. “His parents were Germane immigrants. He doesn't see them eye to eye, if you catch my drift.”

Daring let out a bemused “oh” and nodded while raising her eyebrows. “Germane, eh? Maybe they know about the Solar Cipher.”

“The what?” Velvet cocked her head.

“Eh, something I heard about a while back. But I digress.”

Velvet excused herself to take a shower, then brought the blankets and pillows from her bedroom to the living room. After setting them on Daring's couch, Velvet sat beside her, the pegasus curling up in a blanket. “So…what’s your stake in all this?”

“Huh?” The bedtime burrito’s head jerked up.

“You killed, like, ten ponies in a single afternoon. With that kind of body count, the Spectrum’s probably worth more than the Griffonstone national debt.”

Daring’s limbs wriggled loose from inside the blanket wrap as she sat up. “It’s not about the money.”

“Really?” Velvet furrowed her eyebrows at Daring. “Do tell.”

Like a little filly in class, Velvet sat up straight and put her front hooves together, awaiting more wise words from Professor Daring. “You must’ve already read about my uncle Gallant True and how he attempted to look for the Spectrum many years ago,” Daring started. “Key word: attempted.”

“Wait—” Velvet’s eyes widened, and she shot her hoof upwards. Daring frowned at the near-uppercut. “Sorry…but did your uncle die or—”

“What? No!” Daring crossed her arms. “Lemme finish first!”

Velvet released a breath, momentarily glancing away before letting her mentor continue.

“Anyway, when he went to the Orient to look for the Spectrum, the rainbow eucalyptus trees proved more fascinating to his interests…” Daring put a hoof to her mouth and glanced downward. “ …or at least, that was what I thought at first.”

“Ooh! Intrigue! Suspense!” Velvet smirked as she wiggled her hooves in the air, leaving a confounded Daring grimacing and glaring at her.

“Can I continue?”

Velvet put her hooves down. “Floor's all yours, madam.”

Thank you. So a few days ago, a pegasus approached me while I was visiting my uncle in Vanhoover. Name was Haribon, head of some agricultural city council in the Fillyppines.”

“Sounds fishy,” noted Velvet.

“That's what I thought at first, but hey, he did offer to make a partial payment in cash upfront.” Daring shrugged. “Won't find that in any Abyssinian Prince Scam. Plus, the Spectrum wasn't for his personal collection or something. The southeastern Fillyppine weather facility failed: twenty-five years of foreign occupation and twenty years of dictatorship will do that.”

Velvet connected the dots. “So Haribon wants to use the Spectrum to fix his country's crop problems…”

“Exactly. And the Spectrum is a Fillyppine artifact. This isn't just about money, Velvet. We bring the Fillyppine ponies something they’ve been missing so long, and we get to help their country recover. Two birds with one stone.” Daring's hoof drove the point home.

Velvet’s hoof slowly rose to her chin. “And where does your uncle factor into this?”

“He…wasn't too keen on the quest. Said he had ‘other reasons’ aside from botany this time. I asked him to clarify and he wouldn't say anything else. Must've hit him too close to home…”

Daring's eyes drifted downward. “In retrospect, he may have had a point.”

“What makes you say that?”

“After I left his place and took his notes–”

“Stealing, are we? You're a naughty little filly.”

Daring snorted. “Takes one to know one. Anyway, after that, I went to my hotel room in Vanhoover and got jumped by thugs.”

Velvet's ears perked up.

“They managed to steal mine and Gallant's notes,” continued Daring. “I rounded most of them up pretty quickly, but that last mare was a damn cockroach. Did a barrel roll through a window. I had to comb through a quarter of the city.” A sigh interrupted Daring's recollection. “…and then it turns out they lost my notes.”

“Like our fates are intertwined.” Velvet’s eyes sparkled, and her voice adopted a lilt. “Next thing you know, we’ll be able to send instant mail by writing on our forelegs.”

Daring raised an eyebrow. “And your current fiance?”

Velvet gave a crooked smirk. “Two forelegs; two soulmates,” she said as she raised the appendages in question.

Daring rolled her eyes. “Oh my word, you sound like my fans.”

“Hey, what kind of fans are ever going to get up close to you like this?” Velvet’s forelegs dropped back to the couch. “So anyway, what were you doing in Vanhoover?”

“What do you think? Doing the aerial sixty-nine with Birdshot?”

“It's possible. I'd have trouble passing up on the opportunity myself…” Velvet's eyes shifted upwards, then back towards Daring, mouth spreading into a shit-eating grin. “Maybe I should ask Night Light…”

“You're terrible.” Daring nodded, then stared out the window and into the cloudy, midnight blue sky. “Seriously, though, folks like Birdshot and all those other thugs can’t get their hooves on the Spectrum. Not because I wouldn’t get paid—”

“Glad to know your priorities are in order!” Velvet nudged Daring’s shoulder.

Daring stifled a chuckle. “Of course a Canterlotian like you would say that. But think of it this way: instead of a train shootout, imagine a tornado picking it off the ground…or some kind of magic-imbued lightning strike turning everything and everypony inside into stone. The Spectrum is not for thugs.”

Velvet inched away, the air around the room getting cold. It wasn’t so much what Daring said and more the sudden change in her tone.

“Sorry,” muttered Daring, “just…needed to underline what you’re getting into here. You’re gonna be getting your hooves dirty and bloody.”

Velvet’s ears folded back. “Does it ever bother you: the killing?”

The fur on Velvet’s hooves stood on end as Daring breathed out a sigh. “Look, what kind of pony would I be if it didn’t bother me?” A shrug capped off her words. “But that’s my line of work for you. If you’re not prepared to draw first, sometimes, you don’t get to draw at all. Especially with guys like those thugs.” Daring settled into her blankets. “So I ask you again: you sure you still want to do this?

Velvet shrugged and gave a small smile. “Like you said, it’s for a good cause, and like I said, we make a great team. And hey, it’s a new experience: saving the world and all. I’m all for new experiences! So what now?”

Daring motioned to the clock on the wall. “We're taking a train to Appleloosa after sunrise. You think you can bring your motorcycle?”

“I guess so.”

“Good, because the last thing we need is a two-day walk across the desert. You don't have the stamina.” Daring punctuated the last sentence by poking at Velvet's belly.

“Ooh!” Velvet seethed, taking Daring's potshot in stride. “Going for a low blow, huh?”

“What are you talking about? That was distinctly above the belt; I wouldn't want to give you any ideas.” Daring smirked.

Velvet snickered. “Cheeky bastard.”

She took one of the blankets and stretched it over herself as she lay on the couch and flicked the lights off with her magic. The only things illuminating the room now were the lights of other city dwellers emanating from the Canterlot skyline—a mix of ornate alabaster spires and reflective glass skyscrapers. “Aren't you going to stay in your bed?” asked Daring.

“Nah, I'm keeping you company for the night.”

“Comforting. Next thing I know, you'll be smashing my legs with a mallet and forcing me to write your fanfics.”

A long period of silence followed, with Daring's relaxed breathing signaling that she was asleep. The bright lights of the Canterlot skyline reflected on Velvet's eyes as she curled in her blanket. It had been a long day. Her aching muscles longed for some real rest, unlike the unfriendly knockout the Jacketed Stallion dealt her in the train. The thought of all the things she'd done because of Daring—she'd actually lied to Night Light, assuming he didn't already know everything and he was just playing dumb—and the things she would be doing with Daring in the next two days tried to intrude her mind, but the call of sleep pushed it all aside.

Sleep today, rest today. Angst tomorrow.