• Published 31st Jul 2017
  • 5,321 Views, 339 Comments

Spectrum of Lightning - Seriff Pilcrow



Dive into the secret past of Twilight Velvet—mother of the Princess of Friendship—as she embarks on her first guns-blazing adventure with the Whip-Cracking Crusader. Volume 1 of Daring Did: Tales of an Adventurer's Companion

  • ...
3
 339
 5,321

Chapter 8: Deserts, Caves, and Lightning Raves

“Velvet, look out!”

Twilight Velvet gasped. Her heart fell out of step, her eyes wide, but it was too late.

She looked up just in time to conk her head onto a long gnarled stalactite.

The notebook she'd been carrying with her telekinesis fell to the floor as her magic fizzled, plunging the cavern into darkness. Velvet rubbed her forehead and groaned, the rocky floor of the cavern scraping her rump. When she got up and relit her horn, Daring's frowning visage was the first thing to come into view. In response, Velvet folded her ears and let out a nervous chuckle.

“Sorry, just…writing your notes down for posterity!”

Daring looked away and continued down the cavern, her trademark low-pitched grumble reverberating off the walls. “Keep up or I'm leaving you behind.”

Velvet dusted herself. “Jeez, and I thought you were only pretending not to like me,” she muttered while catching up with Daring, saddlebags shuffling behind her back.

Her motorcycle had taken the duo past rock outcroppings of various sizes, sparse fields populated by spiny desert plants, and wide stretches of nothing but rocks and sand. Now they were starting down a cavern leading down Celestia-Knows-Where, the last outside rays of light disappearing behind another crooked stalactite as the two ponies rounded a corner. Seemed like they were headed to a back door to Tartarus?

The sensation of Daring's wings brushing her loins caused Velvet's fur to stand.

“Headlamp, please.”

Velvet reached into her saddlebags and mouthed the light to Daring. “I can make my horn light brighter, you know,” she said once her mouth was free of the device.

“I'd rather you save your magic for when we really need it.”

A long period of silence followed. Without the distraction of her notebook, Velvet's eyes were more attuned to avoiding the various branched, forked rock formations scattered around the cave.

“So what are we looking for exactly? You didn't tell me back in the train—just that we needed to go here before looking for the Spectrum.”

“Indra's Bow, or at least, a piece of it,” Daring said. “Meadowbrook the Fourth made a beacon artifact to locate the Spectrum in case it got lost. Course, things are never easy, and Gallant True's notebook says that somepony split Indra's Bow into three pieces long ago. He found two in the Orient, but he never found the third.”

Velvet raised her eyebrow. “The Orient? Isn't that across the Luna Oceans? Why are we here then?”

“Because after trying to look for the Spectrum, Gallant True visited this area and noted some odd phenomena, like the rampant thunderstorms at night.” Daring sighed. “He didn't say much in his notes, though, and the local buffalo refused to talk to him about it.”

“Sounds like he hit a dead end,” suggested Velvet.

“Not exactly. It wouldn't be the first time he stopped a quest because there weren't enough plants to satisfy his botanist itch.”

A few yards of walking later, they came upon a deep, vertical shaft. As Daring surveyed its depth with her lamp, Velvet kicked some pebbles down, watching as they were swallowed by the darkness. Though it only took a third of a minute for the sound of the pebbles grinding and clacking on the ground to echo back to Velvet's ears, it was long enough to make her crease her eyebrows.

“Not too high, but I don't want to risk it,” muttered Daring. She took a rope and a grappling hook from Velvet's saddlebags, then dumped a harness on the ground in front of Velvet. “Here, put this on.”

Velvet took the harness with her magic. “I guess this is the part where I clip myself to the small end of the figure-eight belay, right?”

“Sounds like someone's been paying attention in class,” Daring said while winding the rope around two wide rock outcrops. The light from her headlamp flickered as Velvet focused on Daring's hooves and wings. They dexterously crafted knots, bringing order to the once-chaotic tangle of ropes. Velvet recognized none of the knots; Daring hadn't taught her how to make those in the train.

“Does this mean I get a Gold Star, Ma'am Daring?” Velvet's voice squeaked, a byproduct of putting on her best little filly impression.

“No.”

“Aw, brighten up a bit!”

“Maybe you'd like some detention, huh? How about that?”

“Ooh, have I been a naughty filly?”

“Yes, and now the naughty little filly needs to pay attention or she'll be a stain on the ground.”

After Daring had set up the anchor and Velvet had looped the rope through her belay and carabiners, Velvet got on her hind legs and tugged the ropes wrapping both sides of her waist. “Left hoof for feeding; right hoof for braking,” she whispered as she inched backwards into the shaft.

An icy draft howled through her ears. Velvet shut her eyes, grit her teeth, and strangled the rope.

“Q-quit being such a wuss. Twilight.” The words came out chattered, both from cold and from fear. “The Fillydelphia Motocross Trials? Pfft, compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Velvet looked down the shaft to face Daring. Maybe some company would help calm the shaky nerves. “Hey, Daring! Isn't there supposed to be a backup rope or–”

Her eyes caught the golden pegasus descending the shaft. Her headlamp was switched off. Her beige pith helmet taunted Velvet before it and its owner were swallowed up in the darkness. Another updraft chilled Velvet's skin and whispered into her ears, even as the rope creaked above her. None of these things fazed Velvet this time, however: she was too busy gazing down the abyss Daring had vanished into, eyebrows furrowed and teeth gritted.

“Oh, I see how it is!” Velvet called down the shaft. “Thanks for looking out for me!” She gripped onto the rope and steadied herself, uttering a string of curses for the rest of the way down.

After she'd reached the bottom and released herself from the rope, Velvet huffed and fell on her back. The rocks on the ground, having gone through years without contact from the outside world, responded to their intruder by chafing the skin on her back. The sensation didn't even register in her mind; she was too busy groaning from her burning, fatigued legs.

“Hey, Vel!” Daring's voice echoed throughout the tunnel. “Get over here! You've got to see this.”

Fighting the fatigue, Velvet picked herself up and scuttled down the cave to the direction of the voice. A moving cone of light peeked out from another crooked stalactite as she rounded a corner. Headlamp—Daring was close by.

She got to Daring in time to see her crack a chemical light stick and toss it aside. A neon green hue illuminated the current portion of the cave: some kind of natural antechamber, given the relatively wide space compared to the earlier narrower corridors. Not every part of the chamber was lit, however. Velvet noted several rock formations—most as tall as she was—scattered throughout the floor and the sharp shadows they cast on the walls. Focusing on one particular shadow, she noted that the rock formations were pony-like not just in height, but in appearance.

“Wow…” Velvet's eyes shimmered, scoping her surroundings while slowing to a walk. “So what exactly are we looking at here? Some kind of ancient civilization's attempt at sculpture?"

Daring shook her head. “Not sculpture.”

Her hoof gestured to one pegasus-shaped rock. Unlike the other rocks, this one wore a brown shirt, though Velvet couldn't tell whether that was the original color. Eyes narrowing, Daring snagged the discolored, tattered fabric. “I'm no sculptor, but I'm pretty sure that if I were, I'd save the tattered clothes for a starving artist like myself, not let my creations wear them.”

“So you're saying…”

“Yes.” Daring directed the beam of her headlamp to the pegasus's vaguely decipherable expression: an agonized scream immortalized in stone.

“We weren't the first ponies to explore this place.”

Daring started down a tunnel, leaving Velvet standing alongside the pegasus rock and ruminating on her words. As the beam from Daring's headlamp began to fade, Velvet's fur stood on end. Her ears picked up a slight buzz in the air—high-pitched, almost like radio static. It would have been a familiar, almost reassuring sound to the technologically inclined unicorn…

…if she knew where the sound was coming from.

And if the sound didn't have the slightest tinge of coherent speech.

The buzz was not a consistent hum of random noise. It had a certain rhythm to it, and Velvet could almost make out consonants in its tone. It was garbled, or otherwise in a language she didn't know. Daring and Velvet didn't have any radios, or heck, anything that the latter could feasibly see as transmitting sound.

Velvet's ears folded back, and she began to canter silently towards Daring's direction. Time to haul ass before the demented artist who lurked in this place could reach out and touch them.

It wasn't long before Velvet caught up with Daring and grabbed her shirt. “Hey! Hey, Daring!” Velvet whispered. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

“Some kind of buzzing sound; it was—”

Velvet stopped. The buzzing “voice” was gone, replaced only by the cave's characteristic howling. Meanwhile, Daring turned to Velvet, gave her the stink-eye, and continued walking.

“But…what…where did—”

“Save your hallucinations until after we get out of here, all right?”

Velvet kept up, passing by an earth pony statue as she trailed behind Daring. Maybe Daring was right. Velvet's legs continued to shake despite her best efforts.

Something crossed the lower corner of Velvet's field of view. After passing by another earth pony statue, the unicorn sat on the floor and lit her horn, bathing the cave in dim magenta light. Not too bright—she needed to save her magic after all.

The something, it turned out, was a heavyset statue with cloven hooves. The creature was lying on the floor, three legs on the floor and one leg raised upwards, like it was shielding its eyes. There was a gaping hole on its back—hasty tomb robbers, probably. Two horns protruded from both sides of the statue's head, a dead giveaway to its identity.

“Daring, take a look at this.”

Velvet reflexively shielded herself from the beam of Daring's headlamp as the pegasus walked up to her. She sat beside Velvet and adjusted the beam to cover a wider area, her mouth opening in fascination before she spoke.

“It's…it's a buffalo.”

Daring took her trowel from its holster and dug through the sand around the buffalo's neck, unearthing a light blue necklace. Taking the necklace on the trowel blade, she brought it in for a closer look.

“Look at these turquoise beads. The craftsmareship…this must be 16th century at the oldest.”

While Daring's eyes remained glued to the necklace, Velvet sniffed the air. Her snout wrinkled and her eyebrows furrowed. Her nose traced the strong pungent odor, not unlike one from an electrical generator to one of the branched rock formations by the statue, which she illuminated by upping her horn's light intensity a notch.

Not only was the branched rock hollow, it was also glassy on the inside, twinkling along with Velvet's eyes.

Velvet turned again to the cavity on the buffalo's back.

“Hmm…”

Daring was ambushed from behind.

“Hey!” grunted Daring as Velvet grabbed her head and shoved it down the cavity on the buffalo. “What are you—”

“Smell it,” whispered Velvet.

Daring's face contorted into a confused frown.

“It's good for the heart…”

A growl emanated from Daring's closed mouth and echoed through the cave.

“Seriously, just trust me on this one. It'll make sense.”

The sound of two sniffles told Velvet that Daring had complied. Upon being released from Velvet's hooves, Daring sat up and stared at Velvet.

“Ozone.”

“Bingo!” Velvet touched Daring's snout. “Gold Star!”

Daring creased her eyebrows and glared daggers at Velvet, who responded with a cheeky grin.

“Aaaaanyway… I'm surprised you know what ozone smells like,” said Velvet after putting her hoof down. “I was half-expecting you to ask me what you were sniffing.”

“Pegasus, remember? You're not the only one who can shoot lightning around here.” Daring put a hoof behind her neck. “Haven't done it since I was thirteen, though I still remember the smell.”

“That's not all.” Velvet pointed her horn light at the cavity on the buffalo's back. “See that?”

A shimmer caught both Velvet and Daring's eyes. The latter pony leaned closer, focused the beam of her headlamp, and widened her eyes.

“This is…this is fulgurite!” declared Daring.

“Wha… come again?” Velvet cocked her head.

Daring stood up. “Fulgurite—it's…it's a type of mineraloid formed when lightning strikes sand or rock and melts it into a glass-like tube. I used to make these all the time in the beach when I was a filly.”

With her magic, Velvet swiped a broken piece of the branched rock formation from the ground and levitated it in front of Daring “You mean like this?”

“Sort of.” She put a hoof to her chin and creased her eyebrows at the piece of broken rock. "This fulgurite doesn't look natural, though. Doesn't even look like the result of normal pegasus magic—much too crystalline."

“You've got to be kidding me.” Velvet scratched her mane as she connected the dots. “You mean that somehow, lightning was bouncing around the walls of an underground cave?”

“And I have a hunch that whatever made that lightning also turned these creatures into stone.” Daring drove the point home with her hoof.

“Hold up.” Velvet put her hoof to her chin. “I just thought of something. The half-life of ozone in air is several hours or a few days at most. Doesn't that mean that whatever made that lightning is still around?”

A faint buzz filled the air again. Daring's ear twitched.

“Sounds like you weren't hallucinating, kid.”

Velvet backed away, her eyes darting around the ceiling while looking for the source of the buzz. The sensation of something rocky connecting with her leg, followed by a crumbling sound, caused Velvet to turn around.

She'd chipped one of the earth pony statues they passed by earlier.

Something glowed from inside the statue. Velvet galloped towards Daring as the entire statue began to crumble. Multicolored sparks arced all over its surface, while a bright white light with a tinge of yellow billowed out of the growing cracks. One of the sparks burst from the earth pony's chest and struck the statue of a pegasus, then a bison, then a second pegasus. An unholy snarling noise echoed through the cave as a webwork of aetheric electricity blocked the way back to the entrance.

Velvet and Daring crept backwards. The latter bit her lip.

“That's probably bad…”

A blue arc slammed the rock above, showering the ponies with stones. The ponies flinched. A bolt of electricity came hurtling towards them, prompting Daring to take to the air and fly deeper into the tunnel.

“Run!”

Countless discharges thundered and echoed behind the duo. Arcs of various colors snaked forward by jumping between statues and rock formations alike. The earth shook all around Velvet. She struggled to keep her footing. Her ears folded, beaten to submission by the literally thunderous cacophony. A flash revealed a pony statue right beside her, causing her to duck just as an arc connected to it and blew it to pieces.

“Watch it! Don't get close to the other statues!”

A pile of rocks came to view. The only way through was a small hole at the top. Daring flew through easily, while Velvet had to clamber upwards and squeeze through, rocks sliding out from under her hooves.

She slipped. Her body tumbled to the other side of the rock pile.

Daring didn't stop for her. The pegasus disappeared behind a left turn several yards away.

“Wait!”

The sound of crumbling rocks caused Velvet to scamper forward. She'd only gotten a few feet forward when the sound of an arc crackling behind her reached her ears. Something snagged her tail. Velvet rolled on her back to focus on the offending weight.

A white glow seared through Velvet's retinas, covering an increasingly larger area of her tail. In their wake, soft, white and purple fibers solidified into hardened, gnarled masses of brown rock.

“Wha… Ahhh! Holy shit!”

Velvet tried to back away, but her tail seemed to fuse with the floor. Her horn glowed. She grit her teeth and held back a scream as she tried to pull the hairs out with her telekinesis.

Her hair held together. This wasn't going to cut it.

“Damn it! Where's a barber when you need one?!”

Velvet looked up. Give or take a few sparks, the pile of rocks she'd vaulted over seemed to impede most of the thunderous cascade of lightning. With every earth-shaking roar and flash, however, the collective blizzard of sparks made its murderous intentions known. There wasn't much time.

She used a heating spell to separate herself from her rapidly petrifying tail. It worked…too slowly. A quarter of her once long flowing tail had now been turned to stone, and the heating spell hadn't even transected half that distance. Such magic needed to be slow going, as much as it pained Velvet. Too fast, and it would just set her entire tail on fire.

A bolt of lightning shattered a rock, the rubble showering the ground beside Velvet.

“Oh crap! Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap!”

Dust kicked itself up at Velvet's right. Shielding her eyes momentarily, Velvet looked up.

“Velvet, get back!”

“Daring?” Velvet could barely keep herself from hyperventilating. “For Celestia's sake, where were you, taking a bathroom break?! Stop leaving me behind!”

“I told you to lay off the eclairs!"

"Just shut up and GET ME OUTTA HERE!!"

Velvet watched the master's trowel make short work of her tail. Each blow sliced off several hairs, the blade grinding on the ground all the while. A lightning bolt shattered another rock. A piece struck Daring in the ribs, but she barely flinched. Was it adrenaline? Experience? Velvet didn't know.

Taking to the air, the pegasus yanked Velvet's hoof upwards.

“You're good. On your hooves!”

For the next several minutes, Velvet ran on autopilot—tunnel vision, in more ways than one. The shaking of the earth, the intermittent flashes of light, the deafening thunder, the pang on her belly, the fire in her legs—all pushed out of focus. Only one thought stood at the forefront.

Can't…get…left behind again!

She was so dead-set on keeping up with Daring that she failed to notice the ground disappear.

Daring grabbed Velvet's hind legs. “Whoa whoa whoa, stop!”

The blood rushed to Velvet's head. She fell forward and found herself staring at an abyss. The abyss stared back and bore its teeth: a wide collection of sharp stalagmites, complete with a skeleton wedged between.

The tug of Daring's forelegs sent Velvet hurtling back to safety. At the other side of the abyss, the neon green glow of chemical light sticks taunted her. The chasm was too wide to jump across.

"Shit!" Darting her head around, Velvet put her hooves to her mane. "Can't you carry me across?!"

"Not when we're weighed down with these saddlebags, I can't! And we're not leaving our stuff behind!"

Luckily, Daring had other courses of action in mind. She unfurled her whip and snagged it at a gnarled root on the ceiling in one swift, smooth motion. A puff of air escaped Velvet's mouth as Daring shoved the handle of the whip at her side.

“Grab onto it!”

Velvet's eyes traced the handle of the whip to its tip. Sand sifted and fell from a root on the ceiling.

“Are you nuts? That thing isn't going to hold me!”

Thunder and crumbling caused both mares to look down the tunnel where they came from. Rocks and pebbles flew in the air. The flashes of light brightened. The arcs were closing in.

“Argue later!” Daring took flight and flew to the chemical light sticks. “See you on the other side!”

Velvet's ears folded as she was left holding the handle of the whip. Gritting her teeth, she took one last look at the electric tsunami and decided she didn't want an encore of their performance.

Velvet closed her eyes, bent her back knees, and grasped the whip.

She stepped off.

“Oh craaaaaaap!! Oof!”

The wind howled across Velvet's ears for half a second. A hard landing knocked the wind out of her lungs and scraped her forelegs. Velvet instinctively wiggled her back legs.

There was no ground below them.

Daring managed to snatch Velvet's front hoof. Grunting, the pegasus flapped her wings as she pulled Velvet up to her hooves. A flash from the lightning avalanche highlighted the shadow of Daring's whip, twisting out of the root with every strike.

The whip dislodged. It fell into the chasm. Daring's eyes widened.

Reacting quickly, Velvet caught the whip with her magic just before it joined the skeleton in the stalagmites below.

“Unicorn, remember?!” echoed Velvet, her smile and her voice quivering from both fear and adrenaline. “Just making myself useful!”

As the two mares galloped away, the cacophonous cascade of thunderclaps subsided. Seconds passed by without a single flash of light, arc of electricity, or heck, even a gnarled rock formation or petrified creature. The two ponies slowed to a canter, and Velvet could finally hear herself think, not to mention her body trying to put the brakes on her heartbeat.

Velvet leaned on the cave wall and panted. “H-hey,” she huffed out while reaching a hoof towards Daring, “can…can we stop for a while?”

Daring said nothing. She simply stood in place and took her notebook out with her wings. Velvet seized the opportunity and slumped on the wall.

“Having fun?” Daring glanced at Velvet.

Velvet glared daggers—maybe "lightning bolts" would've been more fitting—at Daring. "Oh yeah, sure. Smacked my noggin at a rock, almost became a rock, lost one-fourth of my tail." She sputtered a bit, then attempted to compose herself before showing the still-smoking tail hairs to Daring. "D-do you know how long it took to grow this? Now I won't be able to curl it around Night Light's nape."

Daring rolled her eyes. "Look, I'm sorry."

Velvet chuckled. “But hey, I'm having fun all the same. Ten outta ten.”

Sure, nearly getting electrocuted or turned to stone weren't “fun” in any sense of the word, but Velvet couldn't say no to the sweet, familiar tingle of adrenaline. If only these sorts of rushes would come during the event rather than after…

The sound of shifting rocks shook Velvet back to reality. "Dead end," muttered Daring as she put her notebook away and scoped the tunnel. "Nothing in my uncle's notes about this part of the cave. Lightning statues, yes, but not what was at the end..."

Her eyes chanced upon a loose pile of rocks to her right. Both Daring and Velvet's irises shimmered when a stone fell from the top of the rock pile and revealed a shaft of light.

"Hold on..."

A swift flying kick from Daring's hind legs sent the rock pile collapsing forwards. Warm, yellow rays of light caused Velvet's eyes to shimmer and reinvigorated her aching legs. Heart still pounding in her throat, she got to her hooves. No rest for the weary.

“That wasn't so hard.”

The two mares walked through the newly created hole. Greeting them was a spacious central chamber several stories high and covered in rustic, brownish-orange sandstone. The ghostly howl of the cave was gone, and while there were still several dark areas, for the most part, warm sunlight made the cave well-lit. So much so, in fact, that Daring turned off her headlamp and took her helmet off, allowing it to fall to the ground. As Velvet took the headlamp and placed it in her saddlebags, Daring's eyes surveyed the gentle atmosphere.

“Look at that…” Daring pointed to several holes on the ceiling, shafts of light bursting forth from them. “Natural ventilation and illumination. At least we won't be suffocating in the dark down here."

Lying down on a flat rock and letting her saddlebags slide off her back, Velvet basked in the sunlight. She smiled to herself and closed her eyes as her screaming legs got the rest they so badly craved.

Velvet opened her eyes and looked at Daring. “What is this place?”

“The buffalo say it's a prison for some kind of god,” Daring said as she began to wander around the cavern. “But that was all Gallant had been able to extract. They didn't want to talk about it after that.”

The warmth still tingling her extremities, Velvet scoped the area. Sure, it was barren. Could use a TV, a fridge, and maybe a potted plant or two, but a prison? If this was a prison, I'd hate to think what Tartarus looks like.

"Odd, though..." continued Daring as she approached the sandstone walls, "normally I would expect walls made of grayish limestone like what we saw earlier. Maybe the cave we passed through isn't naturally connected with this one.”

"So you're saying somepony dug a tunnel through this area in order to reach this cave?" said Velvet.

"Sounds about right." Daring shrugged. "With the right magic, even a pre-industrial tribe can cut through rock."

Several minutes of silence followed. Before Velvet knew it, Daring was already several yards away, the cave's acoustics amplifying her grumbles to an audible volume despite the distance. “My uncle never got this far. Hell, I don't even know if Indra's Bow is here.”

The color drained from Velvet's face.

“I'm sorry, what?”

“Yeah, for all we know, Uncle Ad was wrong.” Daring sat on a rock, took off her pith helmet, and flipped through her notebook while putting a hoof to her forehead. “Agh, what am I missing?”

Velvet groaned. “That's it?” Velvet's exclamation echoed through the chamber. “We went through all that messed-up shit in the tunnels just for a dead end?”

"Just a minor setback, is all. We'll think of something." Daring looked up from her book, but Velvet waved her off.

Her eyes chanced upon a small fulgurite lying on the ground. She picked it up with her magic and fiddled around with it. “Oh yeah, brilliant plan, Twilight,” she muttered under her breath, “just follow the mule who doesn't have any idea what the hell's going on.”

The cloaked mare's face came to the forefront of her mind, followed by the lie she'd told Night Light back in Canterlot. Velvet cupped her face in her hooves. Joining Daring was a gamble, and she'd gotten a bad hand. Killing somepony and lying to her fiancé was one thing—make that two things—but to have nothing to show for it? She hadn't come far, and already Velvet didn't want to go home.

So much for her story.

“Son of a bitch!” Velvet punctuated her curse by throwing the fulgurite onto a wall.

The chamber flashed a bright yellow. A loud, sharp crack bounced around the walls. Every muscle in Velvet's body shook as a multicolored bolt of electricity arced across the chamber and into a higher part of the cave wall. Velvet slammed her eyes shut, the afterimage of the bolt searing through her retinas.

“Velvet, what was that?” Daring said

“Sorry!”

“No, actually… Can you do that again?”

Velvet took another fulgurite and threw it at the wall. Sure enough, it produced another ear-splitting lightning bolt that arced into the higher part of the cave wall. When the thunderous echo subsided, Daring pointed to something on the cave wall—a darkened, smoking patch of rock, cracks forming on its surface.

Daring smiled. “Just another hunch, but ten bits says that is where Indra's Bow is.”

“Wanna bet?” Velvet took a small wallet from her saddlebags as Daring flew to the darkened rock. The pegasus glared at Velvet, causing the latter to form a crooked smile.

“It's your money.”

“Eh, there's a lot more where it came from. Besides, even if I lose, at least I know my time wasn't wasted here.”

Velvet watched Daring fly up to the slab, paw at its surface, then follow up with a quick jab. Pieces of the slab crumbled and fell to the cave floor, leaving behind sizable fissures. "You know, I just realized something," Daring said as she continued to inspect the slab. "Why do you suppose that lightning avalanche a few minutes ago stopped?"

"You saw how the lightning traveled, didn't you?" Velvet took some time to fix her mane curl while answering Daring's question. "It jumps from one statue or fulgurite rock formation to the next, though it also sends out a couple of deviant arcs that just fly to random directions and explode." Velvet's tail reflexively swished. "The lightning does seem to have a thing—dare I say kink—for attacking organic matter, however."

"That...doesn't really answer my question." Daring faced Velvet.

"After that chasm where you made me use your whip, I noticed that there weren't any more of those fulgurite rock formations or statues around. No place for the arcs to connect."

With the curl at the back of her neck now fixed, Velvet stood up and walked towards Daring. "But all that aside, can you get to the artifact?"

Daring pounded the slab one more time. “No can do. This looks like quartzite. You need a battering ram to dislodge it.”

“Or explosives.” Velvet held up a small fulgurite with her magic just as Daring turned to look at her. "I'll stuff these fulgurites into the cracks on the slab, then break the fulgurites apart. The lightning will try to cut its way to the artifact, and boom! Instant fireworks!"

The twinkle that flashed in Velvet's irises caused Daring to fold her ears and frown. “This won't end well.”


“Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!”

Darting around in the air, Daring flapped for all she was worth as Velvet held on for dear life. “Well, you wanted to get in, didn't you?” the unicorn yelled.

Daring dared to look down as she dodged another flying rock. “Where in Celestia's name did you did learn to do this?!”

"Do...what?"

"Calculate explosive energy!"

“I, um, well…”

The shaking subsided as Daring dropped her onto the rocks with a thump. “Never mind.”

“I'm surprised you can carry my weight,” commented Velvet. "Didn't you tell me you weren't a good flyer back in the train?"

“Well, they”—Daring stretched—“say fat is less dense than muscle.”

“And Daring's head is the densest of all,” Velvet shot back.

The slab was gone, replaced by a swirling, pale-brown dust cloud with a glowing center. Velvet's mouth hung open as the glow in the dust cloud jostled out of place and fell to the ground. She raised a hoof, poised to approach it, but Daring barred her with her leg. “Not yet. Wait for it to cool.”

When the dust had settled, the source of the glow made itself known: a flat, brown object with the faintest light escaping through its various engravings. Half of its edges were jagged, while the other half was round, like the object began life as a circular dish, only to be cut somewhere down its lifespan. Velvet and Daring approached the object, the latter scooping it up with her trowel and bringing it to eye level. Velvet's mouth fell agape. It was one thing to view a piece of ancient history in a museum, but to actually discover one for herself? To be close enough to touch it?

Not as thrilling as a cross-country motorbike ride, but it came close.

“Fifteenth century.” Daring held Indra's Bow in her wings while putting a hoof on her chin. “These circular swirling patterns suggest Marwari ancestry, but–”

“‘Marwari?’”

“You know, land of curry, chakrams, that kind of stuff.”

Velvet nodded her head and let out a half-bewildered “Oh.”

Her attention was turned to various, faded bumps on the piece. “Check these out. Looks like somepony was trying to go for the jewel-encrusted route without the jewels.”

“Huh,” muttered Daring. “Most pre-industrial art from the Marwari region contains gems. Maybe Meadowbrook the Fourth couldn't get her hooves on it for whatever reason.”

A screech echoed through the cave. The investigation was cut short. Velvet and Daring flinched, a familiar sound filling the air.

There was that buzzing voice again.

Dropping the piece, Daring stood on her hind legs and unfurled her whip. Both her and Velvet's heads darted around, scanning the chamber for the source of the noise.

A bright glow crossed the upper corner of Velvet's vision.

“Daring, over there!”

It had only been a couple of seconds, but Velvet could have sworn she'd seen another pony. A bright glow coming from their fur overpowered even the sunlight coming into the holes on the ceiling. Even after the mystery mare slipped out of sight, the arcs it left in its wake welded themselves into Velvet's and Daring's minds.

"Who...what...was that?" asked Velvet.

Daring took the piece of Indra's Bow and put it in her saddlebag. “Our cue to scram. I sure as hell don't want to meet that pony a second time and get turned to stone.”

As Daring made her way back to the entrance, Velvet took her own saddlebags from the rock she had been sitting on. She turned her head towards the natural skylights, now free of any trace of the mystery mare, and cupped her hooves on her mouth.

“I'm sure you have an electric personality, but we sort of have a prior engagement!”

Daring whacked Velvet upside the head.

“Ow! That hurt!”


As with most journeys, the return trip was usually the uneventful part. Having been acquainted with the tunnel's hazards and having triggered the majority of the fulgurite rock formations and statues, Velvet and Daring had gotten back through the tunnels without much hassle, filling up much of their time with small talk. The thrill of a find was still fresh on Velvet's mind, not to mention the fact that she was a part of it. These manifested themselves in the humming of the theme song from some old film she'd seen once. Only once—except for that minecart chase scene: she had that on repeat in her VHS for weeks.

Do do do-doooo do do dooooo...

“So how did you do that thing with your whip earlier?”

“Manipulating the air around the whip with my passive pegasus magic.” Daring gestured a hoof in the air. Velvet's fur stood, tickled by swirling air currents that told the rules of classic fluid dynamics to piss off. “Useful for wrapping it around objects.”

“I can think of more interesting uses for it, if you catch my drift.” Velvet smirked, then bumped a shoulder into Daring. “Top or bottom?”

“I…uh…I'm not into that sort of thing. Other stallions, on the other hoof….”

A long moment passed, interrupted only by the echoing drip of groundwater.

“Say”—Daring turned to Velvet—“you're worried about Eve… uh… whatever her name is?”

“It's Evy,” corrected Velvet, placing emphasis on the last syllable.

“I'll try to keep that in mind.”

Velvet rolled her eyes. “Try.” As if.

“Relax,” continued Daring “We're in the middle of the desert. It's not like there are carjackers…or motorbike-jackers, in this case, lurking in the bushes.”

“There's hardly even any bushes.”

“Exactly!” Daring laughed.

Velvet's ears twitched. A metallic click echoed behind her.

She had to jinx it, didn't she?

An orange light appeared from the corner of the tunnel ahead of them, followed by the sound of hooves and shuffling clothing. At the corner of Velvet's vision, Daring reached for her trowel.

The cold touch of hard steel pressing on the backs of their heads dissuaded them from such interventions.

“On the ground, now.” A stallion's voice, icy as the guns being pointed at their heads, caused Velvet's breathing to quicken. She looked at Daring for an answer, and the pegasus looked back, raised her front legs and sat on her hind legs. More ponies came out of the corner, all training their guns onto Velvet and Daring.

Velvet's mouth quivered.

“F-friends of yours?”