• Published 17th Jun 2017
  • 4,607 Views, 214 Comments

A Ray of Sunlight - BChunter426



Twilight has just transferred to CHS, she's nervous to start at this new school, but a red and yellow haired girl makes the transition easier.

  • ...
15
 214
 4,607

A Day With Pinkie

Sunset and Twilight's relationship kept growing as the days passed. They went on a few double dates and group dates with the other couples in their group. Sunset had come clean to the others about her past shortly after her date with Twilight. They were all very accepting and didn't hold it against her. All the while Twilight still hadn't told her parents about herself so she had to tell them half truths as to where she was going with Sunset, and it was starting to weigh on her. She didn't like being dishonest with her parents, but she was still building up the courage to come out to them.

While the other six were double dating and spending more time together, Pinkie had to find ways to keep herself occupied. She was able to spend more time with her sisters, which she was happy about, but she was starting to miss her friends. Twilight felt bad about excluding Pinkie so she made special plans with her. Twilight caught a ride with Pinkie on her scooter after school and they went to Sugar Cube Corner. Pinkie immediately started up a conversation with Mrs. Cake.

"Hi Mrs. Cake! Are you ready for my application?" She slid a piece of paper across the counter.

"Finally turned sixteen I see. Did you and your friends have a party?" She asked.

"You know we did!" Pinkie said with a huge grin.

Twilight smiled at the memory. Grannysmith Apple had let Pinkie set the barn up for her party. Pinkie had made great use of the whole space. She had cleared the center for a dance floor, and hired Vynil to DJ the party. She had tables full of snacks she had made by hand with the help of her friends, including something she had come up with called a cherry-changa. There were also two huge punch bowls, one with a fruit punch and the other had a homemade strawberry lemonade.

The party had been held on Halloween night, and was a combination Halloween/ birthday party since Pinkie's birthday is only a few days into November. Everyone had dressed up and a few people went all out on their costumes. There had been a lot of people that Twilight had known from school. She was able to get to know them better and made a few more friends. Vynil had done a great job choosing the music, she had even played a few originals of her own creation. She really was a talented DJ, and Pinkie was an incredible party planner. They had played a lot of party games and danced and had a night they would all remember.

Back in the present Mrs. Cake looked over Pinkie's application. "You're applying for the baker position?"

"Yep yep yep! I think I could be really good at it." Pinkie beamed.

"Well, how about you come in on Sunday and we'll have you show us what you've got." Mrs. Cake said with a chuckle. "For now though, what can I get for you two?"

They placed their orders, a fruit tart and fruit smoothie with two oatmeal raisin cookies for later for Twilight. Pinkie Pie ordered the seasonal cupcake flavor, chocolate dome, caramel praline cupcake, a wild berry tart and a fresh lemonade. Pinkie found a seat and they enjoyed their treats.

"How do you eat so many sweets? This is about all I can handle." Twilight asked, amazed at her friend's appetite.

"I've always loved sweets and baked goods, when I was little it's almost all I would eat. In fact if I could survive on sweets alone I would!" Pinkie took a big bite of her seasonal cupcake.

Twilight laughed. "I'm sure you would. So what have you been up to? I feel like it's been too long since we've just talked."

"Yeah that happens when you're the only single gal in your group of friends." Pinkie said, a little down-trodden.

"I'm sorry Pinkie, I really don't mean to make you feel left out." Twilight apologized.

"I know," she said a little cheerier now. "It's ok Twilight. I've been able to spend more time with my sisters, so that's been nice!"

"How are they doing?" She asked.

"They're good, Maud is on break at School so she is visiting for a week. She and I are going to make rock candies and see a movie tomorrow!"

"That sounds like a lot of fun." Twilight said with a smile.

They talked about Pinkie's family for a while, then Twilight's. She told Pinkie about her troubles with lying to her parents and about how excited she was about Shining Armor coming to visit in a couple weeks for the holidays. When she brought up the winter formal she noticed Pinkie's mood change.

"Oh yeah, I'd almost forgotten about the dance." Pinkie said stirring the remains of her tart. "I imagine you'll be going with Sunset?"

"I think so, we haven't really talked about it-" Twilight started.

"I bet Rarity and Fluttershy will go together," she continued as if she hadn't heard Twilight. "and AJ and Rainbow. Then there will be just me." She finished with a heavy sigh.

"Hey, don't worry Pinkie. There's still plenty of time before the dance." Twilight said reassuringly.

"I guess that's true." Pinkie said.

"I'm sure someone will ask you to the dance, you're such a catch!" Twilight said "Is there anyone you are especially hopeful for?"

Pinkie's eyes peered over Twilight's shoulder. Twilight looked in the direction of Pinkie's gaze and saw a boy with curly brown hair and a big black case next to his table. She remembered seeing Pinkie talking with him at the party. He was with some friends and they were all laughing and having a good time. He must have felt their eyes on him because he blushed. His eyes fixed on Pinkie and he smiled timidly and waved.

Pinkie waved back as Twilight turned to face her.

"Who's that?" Twilight asked.

"His name's Cheese Sandwich." Pinkie smiled to herself. "We have a few classes together and we get along super well! I keep thinking he's going to ask me out, but he hasn't yet. I've even been really obvious with my flirting!"

"Maybe he's just shy." Twilight offered.

"Maybe, I'm just tired of waiting around." Pinkie said.

“So, how long have you wanted to work here?” Twilight asked, attempting to lighten the mood.

Pinkie smiled brightly. “I think since the first time I tried one of their pastries. So… since I was five?”

“That’s a long time! At least you knew what you wanted.” Twilight chuckled.

“That day was when I realized the wonderful world of baked goods. As soon as I had that first wild berry fruit tart I was never the same. It changed me Twilight.” Pinkie said with a far off gaze.

Twilight couldn’t help but smile at her friend’s earnestness. Pinkie broke character with a giggle shortly after, unable to remain serious for too long.

“Actually working here is an important first step toward my future plans.”

“What’s that?”

“I want to be an event planner slash caterer. My dream is to plan all sorts of events and parties, from birthdays to conventions! What will set me apart will be that I’ll do my own catering so they won’t have to go through another person as well. There’s still a lot of kinks to work out if I’m going to make it work, but I think I can do it!” She beamed.

“That’s pretty creative! I can tell you right now you have at least one dedicated customer.”

“Thanks Twilight!”

After the duo finished their treats they headed to Pinkie's house. This was the first time Twilight had met Pinkie's family and she was struck by how different she was from the rest. Her parents seemed loving yet stern, in stark contrast with Pinkie's out going, friendly attitude. Her sister Limestone was pretty intense. She seemed like something was always bothering her, but Pinkie knew just how to talk with her to get her to smile. Marble, the youngest and Pinkie’s fraternal twin, reminded Twilight of Fluttershy, she was very soft-spoken and bashful.

“I don’t think I’ve seen you around school. I’ll be sure to say hi if I see you in the halls.”

Marble tapped her toes uncomfortably. “I, um, don’t go to school with you. You see, I have a lot of anxiety and my parents agreed to try homeschooling two years ago to see if it helps.”

“Oh, I see. How has it gone for you?”

“Pretty well.” She gave a small smile. “Therapy has helped a lot too. If everything works out I might join you all next year.”

“I hope we’ll see you there. You’ll have a group of friends when you get there.”

Pinkie seemed to be closest with her sister Maud, but Twilight could not get a read on her no matter how hard she tried. She tried making jokes, regular conversation, nothing seemed to click between them, until she asked about her studies. Maud was an endless wellspring of information about rocks, mountains and rock formations. Any questions you had about rocks and stones she would answer them in her low monotone voice. Twilight had to admit there were some fascinating things to learn about them.

"Boulder and I are going to run some errands, we'll be back in a little while." Maud said after telling them about igneous rock formations.

"Boulder?" Twilight wondered aloud.

Maud reached into a pouch she had on her waist and pulled out a small smooth stone. "Yes, this is boulder. He’s my pet rock. His favorite movie is "127 Hours", because it's about a rock's triumph over man." She paused, then in that same monotone voice. "That was a joke."

Twilight smiled and laughed awkwardly.

Pinkie gave her sister a hug. "We'll see you later sis."

They played video games and ate shepherd's pie with Pinkie's family. When it was time for Twilight to go, Pinkie gave her one of her signature hugs.

"Thanks Twilight, I really needed this." Pinkie said after releasing her friend.

"Any time Pinkie." She addressed the rest of the Pie family. "It was great to meet all of you." She went to her father's car and they went home.

Twilight texted Sunset as soon as she got to her room.

"Hey, are you awake?"

"Yeah, what's up babe?"

Twilight's heart still fluttered every time Sunset called her that.

"Do you know a Cheese Sandwich?"

"I know that I've enjoyed a cheese sandwich on occasion ;)"

"Ha ha very funny. This is serious, I could have sworn you've mentioned a boy named Cheese Sandwich."

"Thank you, I'm glad you can see my comedy genius. But yes, I have music class with him. Why do you ask?"

Twilight proceeded to tell Sunset about what she had heard from Pinkie Pie.

"This is great! I always thought they'd be cute together! I'll see what his deal is tomorrow. But for now I should get back to my homework and then to bed. Goodnight Twi I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight Sunset."

Twilight went to bed in a great mood from the day she had with Pinkie. She was glad she had made special plans and caught up with her.