• Published 17th Jun 2017
  • 4,607 Views, 214 Comments

A Ray of Sunlight - BChunter426



Twilight has just transferred to CHS, she's nervous to start at this new school, but a red and yellow haired girl makes the transition easier.

  • ...
15
 214
 4,607

New Friends

Health and history passed without incident or note. Twilight's schedule gave her second lunch on her B-days so she headed to the lunch room. Along the way she ran into Rainbow Dash, the two of them got their lunch and were looking for a table.

"I can't wait to introduce you to the rest of the gang." Rainbow Dash was saying. "I think you'll get along with them just fine. Oh look there they are, let's g- oh no, what is he doing here?"

Twilight looked where Rainbow Dash was leering. At a table across the dining hall was Applejack and Fluttershy, along with two girls Twilight didn't recognize. One of them had a wild mane of pink curls and dressed in a t-shirt with a cartoon character that looked familiar and was talking animatedly to the group. The other had purple hair done in a very stylish wavy fashion, and had on a flowy white top. She was looking very sheepishly back and forth from the group to the bored looking dapper young man next to her, his blonde hair styled just so.

"What's wrong Rainbow?" Twilight asked.

"That guy is Blue Blood, the biggest douche bag I've ever met." Rainbow Dash explained. "I thought they broke up. So what the hell is he doing here?"

The two girls approached the table, and if looks could kill, there would be two bodies at the table. "Hey girls, how's it going? Enjoying lunch?" Rainbow said to the table.

The boy cleared his throat.

"Oh by the way this here is Twilight Sparkle. Twilight, the girl balancing spoons on her face is Pinkie Pie." The pink haired girl jumped at the sound of her name, causing the impressive number of spoons to fall to the table and waved excitedly at Twilight.

"Hi, nice to meet you, I haven't seen you around before." She suddenly gasped very loudly and started talking rapidly. "Oh no did you go to Junior high with us and I never introduced myself, how could I forget to introduce myself to someone at my old school. I was sure I knew everyone."

She looked distressed so Twilight cut in. "No I went to Crystal Prep last year."

"Oh good, I was starting to feel really really bad."

"No worries." Twilight said. Which seemed to put her at ease and she went back to balancing spoons.

"And this is Rarity." Rainbow said motioning to the quiet girl.

"Lovely to meet you darling." She said extending a slim manicured hand.

"You too." Twilight said. "I like your hair"

The girl perked up at that. "Thank you darling. I spent a considerable amount of time on it, thank you for noticing."

"And that's everyone." Rainbow Dash said before sitting down.

The boy stared daggers at Rainbow Dash, making Twilight feel uncomfortable. "Aren't you forgetting someone?" The boy said

"Nope." Rainbow said curtly.

The boy's fists clenched. Rarity chimed in to attempt to smooth things over. "This is Blue Blood, he's my boyfriend."

The energy at the table seemed to change at that. Twilight noticed several reactions to the news. Fluttershy' mouth momentarily arched into a frown and she averted her eyes. Applejack couldn't keep her eyes from rolling in their sockets. Rarity didn't seem to notice this, since her gaze was on Rainbow Dash, whose jaw had clenched so hard you could see the tendons.

"Congratulations." She said coldly.

"Whatever," Blue Blood said before standing up. "I'm going to talk to Coach about when tryouts start. Bring my stuff with you to class."

"Ok, see you there." She looked at him, lips slightly puckered as if expecting a kiss. The boy either didn't notice or ignored her and turned away. Rarity pursed her lips and turned to face the group.

Rainbow Dash wasted no time. "What the hell Rarity? Do you not remember what kind of person he is?"

"Your concern is noted Rainbow Dash, but I swear he's changed. He came to me a few weeks ago and apologized for everything."

"A few weeks, you've been together for a few weeks?" Rainbow said incredulously.

"Yes, I didn't tell you because I knew how you would react." Rarity responded

Rainbow Dash looked around the table. "I can't be the only one mad about this! You all remember how much of a tool he was right? Fluttershy, back me up."

The shy girl seemed to shrink into herself. Rarity looked at her pleadingly. "I, um..." she stammered. "I-if Rarity's happy isn't that what matters?"

"Thank you dear." Rarity said

"Oh come on!" Rainbow Dash said frustrated. "How can you-"

Applejack placed a hand on Rainbow's arm. "It sounds like she's made up her mind. What we should be doing is supportin’ her and bein’ there for her if she needs us."

"Thank you Applejack." Rarity said. "That means a lot to me." She looked at Rainbow Dash.

"Sure, whatever. But expect an ‘I told you so’, when it inevitably turns sour."

"I suppose that's the best I can expect from you." She said. "Now that that unpleasantness is out of the way, Twilight tell us more about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" She responded.

She told them about her family and her dad's job causing them to move to the area. She told them a little bit about her brother, who had left for college recently. He had gone to Cloudsdale rather than Faust so he didn’t make the move with them. She mentioned how nervous she had been to start school here and that she was glad that they had taken her into their group.

"But of course darling, I believe you will be a wonderful addition to our little ragtag group."

"Thanks Rarity, so what about the rest of you? I know a little about Fluttershy, we had a chance to talk in P.E. but the rest of you are a mystery."

"I suppose I'll start." Rarity said. "Where to begin? I like to consider myself a bit of a fashion aficionado. I have my mother to thank for that. She actually owns Carousel Boutique so if you need a dress or a gown be sure to come to me. I’m sure I can get you the friends and family discount."

“Thanks Rarity! I’ll remember that.” She smiled.

"Ah reckon I'll go next." Applejack chimed in. "There ain’t much to say, really. Me ‘n mah siblings moved here when ah was little. We live just a bit outside town on our Granny’s farm."

"How many siblings do you have?" Twilight asked.

“Two, Big Mac is our older brother and Applebloom is the young’n. She’s real good friends with Rarity’s little sister Sweetie Belle.”

“Oh yes, those two are peas in a pod as they say.” Rarity beamed.

Twilight smiled. “That’s great that your sisters are friends too. None of Shining Armor’s friends had siblings my age so I had to make friends the old fashioned way, awkward conversation.”

The others chuckled at her joke.

“You’re doing pretty well right now.” Fluttershy said.

“I have had a little more practice since then. So, Applejack do your parents live with you all on the farm too?”

Applejack cleared her throat. “They uh, actually passed away in an accident shortly after Applebloom was born."
Twilight’s breath caught in her throat. “I’m so sorry. I-I didn’t mean to-“

Applejack held up a hand. “It’s alright sugarcube, you didn’t know. It’s just not exactly somethin’ ah like talkin’ about.

“I’m so sorry for your loss. It must have been so hard.”

Rainbow Dash held Applejack's hand. "It was, but I'm alright now." She looked to Rainbow Dash, a little smile on her lips. “Why don’t you go next Rainbow?”

"What else is there to say about me other than I'm the awesomest!" Rainbow Dash said proudly. “Now that we’re friends you have to come and support me at every game, no matter how far away it is. It doesn’t matter that I plan on joining every team the school has to offer. If you don’t I’ll never forgive you!”

Twilight became flustered at her newfound and unasked for responsibilities. “I mean I can try, but what if I have a school activity of my own and can’t make it?”

Rainbow couldn’t hold back any longer and burst into laughter. "Relax Twilight it’s a joke. I would never expect you all to attend every game. Seriously though, I'm a huge sports nut and I'm awesome at all of them. Soccer and basketball are my specialties though"

"As ya can see she's also real humble." Applejack said with a wink.

Twilight couldn't help but smile at the two of them. They really were close friends, they were even comfortable enough with each other to hold hands.

"Ooh, ooh my turn!" Pinkie Pie said excitedly. "I'm Pinkie Pie and I love to throw parties, and make new friends!" She was grinning from ear to ear at this point. "I have three sisters, Limestone, Maud and Marble. My family owns a local landscaping company."

“Oh, what’s it called? My dad mentioned he was thinking of doing some landscaping.”

“It’s called The Rock Farm.”

“I’ll be sure to let my dad know.”

“Thanks Twilight! He won’t regret it, we take a lot of pride in our work.”

"Your families all sound so fun," Twilight said. "I'd love to meet them some day. What about your family Fluttershy?"

"I guess the only other person I haven’t told you about is my brother Zephyr. He’s… a character." She smirked. “Nothing at all like me.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“I’m sure you’ve noticed I’m not exactly the most outspoken person.”

Twilight thought back to when they first met and nodded.

“Zephyr is the exact opposite of that. He’s loud, and loves bragging about himself, no matter how small the accomplishment. And he loves to push my buttons.” The shy girl sighed with exasperation. “He’s very good at being a younger brother.”

Twilight grinned. “I’m sure Shining armor would say the same thing about me. I knew just how to get under his skin and get a reaction just as the parents parents were watching. We younger siblings just seem to be born with that skill.

By this time lunch was almost over, and the group gathered their garbage and threw it away. Rarity grabbed Blue Blood's things and waved goodbye to her friend's. Rainbow Dash clenched her fists.

"She should have left his crap there. Made him learn his lesson." She muttered. "See Twilight, he's a huge douchebag."

"I hate to say it, but yeah, what does she see in him?"

"His family is wealthy and are friends with Rarity's parents, they've also known each other a long time and their parents encouraged them to get together the first time. I don’t know if they had a hand in this newest development though."

"Oh, I see." Twilight said.

"I just hope she sees him for what he really is sooner than later." Rainbow Dash huffed.

"Yeah." Twilight agreed.

The five of them went their separate ways then. Twilight realized what her next class was and her heart skipped a beat. There was an extra spring in her step as she made her way to her video productions class.

Twilight entered the classroom and heard her name being called. "Hey Twilight, over here!" She looked in the direction of the voice and saw Sunset Shimmer's hand raised and waving her over.

The classroom was larger than any of the other rooms she had been in as of yet. It was set up with six rows of long tables split down the middle with an aisle to walk down. Computers were set up with enough room for two people to work at each one. Which was good since the room was already pretty full.

Twilight went over to her friend and took a seat on one of the rolling chairs. "Hey, how's it going?" She asked.

"Better now." Sunset said with a smile.

Color rushed to Twilight's face. She started playing with her hair. "Whys that?" She asked, her voice shaking slightly as her heart beat faster.

"I had a run in with one of my ex-friends and she kinda rattled me. But getting to have class with you brightened my mood considerably." She smiled again.

Before Twilight could respond, the final bell rang. Their teacher came to the front of the room and addressed the class.

"Good afternoon everyone. I am your teacher Media Mogul, and welcome to Video Productions One." The teacher went on to explain what they should expect in the class. He explained the types of projects they will be asked to create.

A girl in the back raised her hand. "My name is Cloud Chaser sir. Are we going to be watching movies in class?"

A few students chuckled at that, but Mr. Mogul silenced them by saying. "Good question. No we will not watch any in class, some movie clips yes, but not full features. I will tell you where the clips came from so you can watch the movies on your own time if you so choose. Also, you will be required to film and edit your own videos. So if you have access to a video camera, great. If not, I do have a few available to borrow, but they go quickly. Now, you may have noticed there are not enough computers for everyone to have their own so some of you will have to partner up."

Sunset's hand grabbed onto Twilight's and they both chuckled, but neither of them pulled their hands away.

"So if you have a friend in here and are willing to volunteer let me know after class."

The class went well after that, they played the usual fare of get to know you games, except they also told their three favorite movies. After class Twilight and Sunset approached their teacher and told him they would work together. He thanked them and said he looked forward to seeing what they would make.

"Oh, should we put our name down soon to rent a camera?" Sunset asked.

"Nah, my dad has a camera I'm sure he'd let us use." Twilight assured her. "Do you need to get anything from your locker?"

"No I've got everything I need, but if you need to get something I can come with you. I like talking with you."

Smiling, Twilight said. "Me too... ok, lets go to my locker."

They walked together, talking about their days and what they were hoping to get out of school this year. As they neared Twilight's locker Rainbow Dash called out.

"Hey Twilight, who's your friend?"

She turned and said. "Oh hey Rainbow Dash. This is Sunset Shimmer."

A look of concern crossed Rainbow's face. "Hi, I'm Rainbow Dash."

Nervously Sunset responded. "Sunset Shimmer, nice to meet you. Twilight told me about your group, you all seem really nice."

"Yeah. Oh Twilight I forgot to tell you something, it's kinda private though." She shot a glance towards Sunset.

"Oh, ok. Um, if you wanna wait here I'll walk to the bus zone with you." Twilight said

"Sure, I'll just wait here." She said rubbing her arm.

"Great, I won't keep her long." Rainbow said tugging Twilight along around a corner.

"What's this all about?" Twilight asked. "And what was with that face you made after I introduced you two?"

"Listen Twilight, I don't want to alarm you or anything, but I've heard some things about that girl. I don't know how truthful they are but they make me nervous."

"What kinds of things?" Twilight asked, feeling nervous now.

Rainbow hesitated. "N-never mind, forget I said anything. It's probably nothing, I just overheard some people talking in one of my classes."

"O-Kay?" She said quizzically.

"Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow Twilight."

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."

She rejoined Sunset Shimmer a moment later. "Hey, are you alright?" Sunset asked.

"Huh, yeah."

"What did she need to tell you?" She asked nervously.

"Well, she told me..." she looked into Sunset's eyes, seeing anxiety behind their brilliant color. "Um, she just wanted to let me know that it is in fact a communal shower and not separate stalls in the locker room."

"Oh, really?" Sunset asked.

"Yeah, I was nervous about it so I had Rainbow Dash check for me." Twilight said.

Sunset suppressed a laugh. "You're such a dork. By the way, I was wondering... would you wanna come over and hang out today?"

"Yeah, let me just call my mom and let her know where I'm going to be."

She called her mother, who said it would be fine, but to be home by eight for dinner.

"Thanks Mom!" She said before hanging up. "I'm good to go."

"Sweet, follow me."

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, I hope you're enjoying my story, I know the pacing has been a little slow, but I want the developments to feel natural. And don't worry I won't be going day by day through the school year. Anyway, feel free to leave feedback. And tell others that might enjoy this story. I'll try to update regularly. Happy reading!
-BChunter426