• Published 17th Jun 2017
  • 4,600 Views, 214 Comments

A Ray of Sunlight - BChunter426



Twilight has just transferred to CHS, she's nervous to start at this new school, but a red and yellow haired girl makes the transition easier.

  • ...
15
 214
 4,600

First Day

Well, here it is. My new school. Twilight thought as she opened the door of her dad's car.

She stared at the two story building laid out before her, a little intimidated by its size compared to Crystal Prep. Students were still making their way inside, she let out a heavy sigh.

"Hey kiddo," her dad said softly "I know this sucks, but this job was a huge opportunity. I'll be able to provide much better for you and your mom."

Twilight's dad, Nightlight, had taken a job as a professor at Faust University over the summer. He had to leave his job as a science teacher at Twilight's old school. The family had all moved across town to be closer to the university.

"I know dad," Twilight said. "I'm just going to miss my old school and friends. I had a hard enough time getting to know them, what if I can't make any friends here and I'm doomed to just be that lonely new girl that everyone avoids. Then I'll grow to be an old spinster with seventeen cats. Seventeen cats dad!"

"Whoa whoa whoa, cool your jets!" Her dad said with a chuckle. "Lets deal with day one first. Go in there, put your best foot forward, and I'm sure you'll make friends in no time."

"Maybe," she said, picking at a loose thread on her pants. "But what if they all think I'm weird and awkward?"

"Well they might at first, but do you wanna know a secret?" He leaned in close and whispered. "Everyone's a little weird and awkward.

This made Twilight smile. Her dad always knew how to cheer her up.

"Tell you what, I'll even bribe you. If you go in there, and talk to at least three people and make an effort to make friends I'll get you that new book in that series you love so much."

"Daring Do!?" She exclaimed. "What's to keep me from just saying I met your demands?"

"Because, your mom and I raised you better than that." He said. "Now get out of here, you're going to be late."

"Alright, I'll see you after school!" She called back as she made her way to the building.

The main entrance was a mass of adolescent bodies milling about. Twilight had to squeeze her way through the crowd to find a spot to check her notes she had made the night before. She found her locker number in her notes and started following the numbers posted on the lockers. She was so focused on counting numbers that she didn't see the girl in front of her and walked right into her, dropping her notebook.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." She said as she was bending to pick up her book. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

"Hey, don't sweat it. These halls can get pretty insane. Name's Rainbow Dash, what's yours?" The girl extended her hand.

"Uh Twilight, Twilight Sparkle." She responded, taking her hand.

The girl before her was dressed in skin tight jeans, with a T-shirt of a band Twilight hadn't heard of before, the most striking part of her appearance was her long straight hair depicting the colors of the rainbow.

"Nice to meet you Twilight. Are you new around here? I don't think I've seen you before." Rainbow said.

"Yeah, my family just moved over the summer, so I'm still trying to get my bearings." Twilight said with a weak smile. "I was just heading to my locker when I, quite literally, bumped into you."

"Oh cool, what's your locker number?"

"Two-forty seven." Twilight said.

"Awesome! That's right near mine, I'll show you where it is." Rainbow Dash said excitedly.

"Thanks!" Twilight responded and followed her new acquaintance.

They continued chatting and arrived at Twilight's locker after a few turns and a staircase leading downstairs. Twilight made mental notes all the while so she could relocate it. Rainbow Dash's locker was on the opposite wall and a few to the left. Twilight was excited at the prospect of having someone she kind of knew so nearby.

"Well I've got to get to class, I'll see you around Twilight." She said as she waved good bye.

"Yeah, see you Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called after her.

Twilight looked at her schedule, and checked the complimentary map of the school that was given out. Her stomach fell slightly when she saw her class was on the opposite side of the school. She speed walked to class, barely making it before the bell rang. She looked around the room, the desks were set up in seven rows of six desks going back toward the wall. She took the last available seat next to a girl dressed in a blue and white plaid shirt over a white tank top and jeans. Her blonde hair tied at the end and slung over the front of her shoulder. Her tan cheeks dotted with freckles.

"Cuttin' it a bit close there on your first day sugar cube." Her southern accent threw Twilight off a bit.

"Yeah, my locker is on the opposite side of the school." She responded.

"That's rough." The girl remarked. "By the way, name's Applejack." She extended her hand.

"Twilight." She shook it.

The teacher, Miss Cheerilee, took role and they went through the standard first day activities, introductions and get to know you games. The bell rang an hour and a half later, excusing the students to their next class. Twilight began gathering her things.

"It was a pleasure gettin’ to know you Twilight. Good luck with the rest of your classes." Applejack said.

"Thanks, see you next time." Twilight slung her bag onto her back and headed to her next class.

She had math next, which she wasn't too thrilled about, math wasn't her strongest subject. The class was still filling up when she got there, the class period seemed to last forever, crawling by at a snail's pace. During the free time after the introductions Twilight noticed a girl receive a note. After unfolding it she looked to her left, her red and yellow hair whipping with the rotation of her head. In the brief instance Twilight saw the girl's face she could have sworn she saw a sadness in her aquamarine eyes. The girl crumpled the note and stuffed it in the trash. When she got back to her desk she put her head down on her desk.

The bell rang to let out for lunch, Twilight had first lunch with her A-day schedule. She looked for a spot to sit after getting her tray. As she was scanning the area she saw the girl from her math class sitting alone. She hesitated for a moment before walking over to the table.

"Mind if I sit here?" She asked the girl.

"Uhh, sure." The girl said with a confused look.

"Difficult first day?" Twilight asked.

"You could say that... did someone put you up to this?" She suddenly asked.

"What? No, I just saw you sitting by yourself and wanted to keep you company." Twilight responded. "I'm new to the area and don't know anybody yet. If you want me to go I can."

The girl stared at her for a moment. "You're serious aren't you?"

"Y-yeah," Twilight said nervously. "is that ok?"

She sighed and shook her head. "Yeah, I'm sorry. My head's in a weird place today. What's your name?"

"Twilight."

"I'm Sunset Shimmer, nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Twilight said. The two sat in silence for a moment. "So... do you mind if I ask why you're sitting by yourself?"

"My friends and I had a bit of a falling out over the break, so I'm flying solo for the time being." Sunset admitted.

"I'm sorry to hear that, it must be lonely. Well you won't have to worry about eating lunch alone on A-days at least." She said trying to lighten her mood.

This made Sunset smile. The two girls fell easily into conversation, laughing and discussing school. When the bell rang Sunset was sad to see her new friend go, knowing the rest of the day wouldn't be as good as this moment. The rest of the day passed uneventfully, Twilight's schedule was rounded off by a science class and a study period. She went home feeling good about her first day.


Sunset Shimmer thought about the girl she met at lunch that day, unable to keep from smiling at how well they hit it off. She took the bus to the hotel she was staying in. When she got up to her room she allowed herself to be carefully optimistic about this new year. Maybe she really could have a fresh start.