• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 6,201 Views, 336 Comments

Nocturnality - Kotushk Fier



Just a romantic story between the Night Princess and an OC.

  • ...
11
 336
 6,201

Paradiso Luna

Under the sun these do dwell, although in the moonlight they grow well. A field of perfection, lit only by the light of the heavenly selection.

My mind raced quickly, attempting to discern this riddle Discord left behind. Under the sun these do dwell, although in the moonlight they grow well... It was obviously a reference to flowers that bloomed only at night. Or was it a nod towards mushrooms? They grew best in the darker areas, untouched by the sun most of the time. A field of perfection, lit only by the light of the heavenly selection... Obviously whatever field this was had a structure to it. But lit by the heavenly selection? Mushrooms usually grew in caves, so they saw barely any light, not just a lack of sunlight. But a normal field is often lit by the sun at some point. So this field was either a trick from Discord, or it... Wait... Of course. OF COURSE!

"OF COURSE!" I shouted in glee without realizing it.

My outburst made Fluttershy squeak and hide behind Rainbow Dash, while the rest of Twilight's friends stared at me in confusion.

"Twilight, does Celestia have a garden in her part of the castle?"

"Yes, she... Wait, does Luna have one, too?"

"Yes, Paradiso Luna, the Garden of the Moon. It's located three doors from her teaching chambers, on the left side of the hall. Now, please go on without me, I need to finish freeing the townsponies."

"If I lend my strength, we can free them faster and go together..."

"No time. The Princesses are captured. I won't be of much help as I am, but you have your full reserves of magic. I have enough to free them, so go on, while you are still fresh."

Twilight bit her lip for a moment before nodding. Turning around she began to gallop out and towards the train station. After a brief hesitation, her new friends nodded at each other before running out to follow her. I had a feeling they'd stick together with her. Hopefully their friendship would be of use to her this night.

Looking away from the entrance, I glanced out across the room, finally accepting the magnitude of my task. Their were a lot of ponies here, and most of them were Earth ponies, who were naturally resistant to Unicorn magic. Deciding to try to make this job easier, I began to free the Unicorns scattered to and fro. I started with Vinyl Scratch, frozen as she was by her booth. Drawing slightly from the vitality of my target, I began to slowly weave my spell around her. Once she was free, I taught her the formula for the spell, including how to control how much she drained the target. When Luna had first shown me the spell, she had stated many times that it had originally been a war spell. Unicorns would encase their target in unbreakable stone, and then drain the target's vitality to break their own spell. An ingenious manipulation of life energies that ensured the Unicorns' status among the elite.

Once our work started, we quickly freed the other Unicorns and taught them the spell. As our ranks swelled, we worked on releasing the Pegasi. Using their aerodynamic metabolisms to bolster our energies, together we released the Earth ponies. Once the population was freed, I gathered the few friends I had made along the way.

"OK, I know that we have a major problem here concerning Discord. For one, he may have the Princesses hostage. Now, I've left this matter in the more capable hooves of Twilight and her friends. Twilight was top of magic school, and her friends will be there to lend support. Now, we need to get this mess here cleaned up, for when the Princesses return. So what say you? Ready to get this show ready for their return?"

As one they nodded and spread out into the crowd. I watched as they tidied up the mess, brought the decorations back into place, and brought out food reserves to replace what had been destroyed. As they worked, I looked over the preparations, hoping my judgment was good enough for our Royal Solar Sister.

Today was not just the celebration of the sun, nor was it merely the longest day of the year. Both of those were merely by products from the fact that this was the Solar Princess' birthing date. This fact had been lost to time, as was the Winter Solstice being the longest night and the birth date of the Lunar Princess.

As the preparation were wrapping up, a loud bang outside the auditorium caused everyone to jump and look around in fear. After calming my shaking heart, I went outside and beheld a wondrous sight. The Celestial Sisters had returned, along with Twilight and her friends. Around each of their necks, save Twilight, were large and beautifully ornate necklaces. The jewels within resembled the respective wearer's Cutie Mark, signifying a deep bond with the wearer. Upon Twilight's head was a magnificent tiara, complete with a massive jewel that also resembled her Cutie Mark. Each of them looked exhausted, but pleased with themselves.

Celestia nuzzled her student gently while Luna walked over to where I stood. She stood by my side for a few moments, making me very uncomfortable before she spoke.

"Twilight and her friends have reawoken an age old power within their friendship."

I nodded my head and looked up at her. She was staring towards her sister without any expression. I gulped as I looked back to my hooves.

"I had expected you to follow her in this battle."

"My apologies, Princess Luna. I woke up late today, and by the time I arrived here, he had already arrived and vanished. I needed to free everypony imprisoned here, but it drained my magic. As such, I asked Twilight to help while she was well rested."

Luna was quiet for awhile before she spoke again.

"And after that? What have you been doing?"

"You sent me here to help oversee the preparations for your sister's celebration. Since Twilight was occupied with Discord, I took that responsibility into my own hooves. After freeing everypony, I organized the few friends I made here, and returned the auditorium to a presentable state. I had high faith in your return, and decided to make sure your return was splendid."

Luna fell silent once more, and after a few moments returned to her sister. She leaned in and whispered into her sister's ear. As one, both sisters stood up straight and proud. Turning towards the auditorium, they strode regally and purposefully into the reception awaiting the Princess of the Sun.

Author's Note:

A/N: As promised, the latest chapter of Nocturnality has arrived. Within are a few choice pieces of world building, as I see the world of Equestria. I hope you enjoy, and as always, brohoof on y'all.