• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 6,177 Views, 336 Comments

Nocturnality - Kotushk Fier



Just a romantic story between the Night Princess and an OC.

  • ...
11
 336
 6,177

Shining Eyes

Twilight Sparkle and I arrived in Ponyville five minutes early. We spent a few minutes getting used to being on the ground once more, marvelling at the small town. Twilight had Spike on her back, allowing him to wake up without pushing him to walk too much. Their relationship seemed to be a sibling bond, with her being the older sister. Cute. The buildings were small, quaint structures with gingerbread trim. A large building near the town center seemed to be made of cakes and pastries, with a sign proclaiming Sugarcube Corner. We passed by a building that resembled a small castle, elegant and whimsical in its construction. This building seemed to also be a business, as it had a sign calling itself Carousel Boutique. The last major building that caught our eye was a building built right into an immense tree. No, that wasn't quite right. It would be more accurate to say the tree was the building. This building caught Twilight's eyes immediately, for the sign hanging over its door simply said Library. I had to clap my hooves together in front of her face to get her attention back to our task.

Blinking her eyes back into focus, she pulled a large checklist from her saddlebag. Impressive, I think this mare is even more prepared than myself. After looking over her list carefully, she proclaimed it to be too much work if we stuck together. Pulling a quill and inkbottle from her list along with a large piece of parchment, she began to copy part of her list, perusing it twice before giving me the new list. Looking down at it, I was surprised to see she had copied a comprehensive map of Ponyville, along with markers that moved, showing where I could find some ponies. Underneath this magical map, she had given me each pony's duties, so that I could quickly and efficiently check their work. I thanked her for her efforts before packing the map into my saddlebags.

Before parting our ways, however, a bubblegum pink mare bumped into us. After picking herself off the ground, she looked at each of us, stopping when she saw my eyes. She let out a loud gasp, and faster than my eyes could follow she had dashed away. Great, not even thirty minutes in town and my strange eyes had sent a pony running for the hills. How rude. Twilight looked at her list and in the direction the mare had run off, shrugged, and told me to get started. I nodded, drily commenting that I hoped my eyes didn't have that effect on the ponies I was to meet. She assured me that I would be fine, perhaps that pony was the town loony.

So, here I was, making my way to my first charge. Twilight was handling the fanfare music, and tasked me with talking to the party DJ who would be in charge of the after hours music. I walked up to the entrance of her home, a large light blue building with magenta trim. I knocked on the door, my trepidation building as I imagined her opening the door, seeing me, and slamming it in my face. What happened was quite surprising. The door was opened by a white unicorn mare with a shock of electric blue mane, wearing sunglasses. She took one look at me, appraising me, before she reached my eyes. A large grin broke out on her face before she enthusiastically grabbed my hoof and started pumping it up and down.

"You have got to be the most radical customer I've ever seen! Those eyes are seriously sweet man, are they natural?"

"Umm, yes, Miss DJ, they are indeed natural."

"Oh geeze, lighten up man, you're not at Octavia's place now. I'm Vinyl Scratch, stage name DJ Pon-3, that 'ee' is a three. Welcome to my home, I do all sorts of parties, although I am booked for tomorrow night."

"Actually, that's the reason I'm here, Miss Scratch. I-"

"Hey buster! I just told you you're not at a fancy pants Canterlot home here, now drop the Miss!"

"Err... Fine. I'm here about tomorrow night. I have come on the Princesses' orders to oversee preparations for the Summer Sun Festival. I am merely here to check your progress."

"Oh, why didn't ya say so earlier. Come in, come in, I have been working on this sample all day, you can be the first to tell me how it sounds."

I followed her into her home, noticing immediately the abundance of electronic gear she had hooked up. Everywhere I looked there was something new. DJ booths with different discs set up, lights of all shapes, sizes, and colors on her ceiling, various hoofheld lights and even sparkling outfits with miniature lights set right into the fabric. I also saw large collections of vinyl discs for scratch recording. Impressive, but slightly strange. The only music I'd ever heard before was the sing alongs at my dad's workplace and the various classical pieces that could be heard during parties in Canterlot.

She led me into one of the rooms that would normally be used as a bedroom, where the centerpiece was a large booth with at least seven discs being set up. Heh, having magic was useful, I doubt a pegasus or earth pony could achieve this impressive machine. She motioned for me to take a seat on a cushion she placed on the floor as she walked up and behind the booth. Once she had stood up, she gave a loud whoop and began to play her song.

It was loud, it was fast, it was... unexpected. The piece wasn't as overly uncouth or unsophisticated as I had expected. Sure, it wasn't slow and melodious like Canterlot, but it did seem to suit the sun Princess. When she finished, I clapped my hooves together, telling her that I liked it. But... some changes would need to be made. Some of the song seemed unnecessary, and some was just strange. I pointed out my opinions to her, and she actually agreed with me. After reworking the song a couple times, changing it up and rearranging, we both were quite pleased with the result.

After perfecting the song, she offered me something to drink. I politely declined, although my unintentional slip up and calling her Miss again made her threaten to bludgeon me if I didn't take the drink. I decided for my health and future prospects at children to take the drink. As we were sipping on her wonderfully sweetened homemade lemonade, the conversation ended up including my eyes. She asked me if I had been bullied over them in the past. I told her I had, and she seemed to get angry. She started raving about the fact that it wasn't our choice to be born with different eyes, that we weren't monsters just because we were different. When I questioned her on her use of 'we', she slowly took off her sunglasses. She stood in front of me with her eyes closed, trembling slightly as she slowly opened them, revealing a pair of beautiful crimson eyes. After a few moments of staring, she laughed nervously and told me I had broken the record for not running away screaming about vamponies.

I told her that anyone screaming about vamponies could go buck a boulder up a hill, and that got her back to her normal self. She pounded me on the back and proclaimed us to be great friends. Oh... crap...

Author's Note:

A/N: Hey all y'all, hope ya liked this chapter. I added a song into it for fun. Brohoof on y'all, have a great day.