• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 6,176 Views, 336 Comments

Nocturnality - Kotushk Fier



Just a romantic story between the Night Princess and an OC.

  • ...
11
 336
 6,176

Messages and Chaos: Part I

I left the spa feeling clean, refreshed, and younger. I hadn't realized how much that tension in my body had been holding me down. I felt like I could win a fight with an Earth pony... not that I was going to test that anytime soon.

I looked down at my map and noticed that Twilight was currently being followed by a pony named Fluttershy. Hmm, so she's making friends too, is she?

Sitting down on a nearby bench, I contemplated what I wanted to do for the evening. I wasn't scheduled to go back to Canterlot until after the parade, which was seemingly doing fine. Oh wait, I have to get my bags! Luna did mention a message for me, and I would think that being asked about it would imply importance...

I made my way back to the library, humming a tune under my breath. Maybe it was an order to return tonight to my studies. Maybe it was... no... not that. Hmm...

Lost in my own thoughts, I almost bumped into Twilight, who was carrying Spike on her back and looking extremely frustrated. Following close behind her was a yellow pegasus with cyan eyes and a pink mane. She was talking adamantly to Spike, who was apparently regaling her with his life story. With the level of interest between the two, I'd say he found a girlfriend. Way to go, Spike!

"Ahem, excuse me Miss Sparkle, I just need to slip by."

At my voice, the yellow mare instantly stopped speaking and, with a frightened squeak, vanished into a bush. Dabuck?

Twilight rolled her eyes, stepping out of my way with a look of annoyance.

I sidled past her, shooting a questioning look at Spike. He simply shrugged his shoulders, holding his claws in the air, showing his lack of understanding as well.

I made my way into the library, which was completely darkened. Before I could even find the light switch, I heard Twilight and the pegasus outside, arguing about putting Spike to bed. Not even thirty seconds later, the door burst open and Twilight rushed inside, chasing the yellow mare carrying Spike. Spike looked dizzy, at least from what I could see before the door shut again.

Shortly after the door closed, the room brightened up as the lights were turned on, and a lot of ponies appeared.

"SURPRISE!"

I damn near had a heart attack!

I recognized the pink mare from earlier, who looked ecstatic in this environment. Alongside her were a cyan pegasus with a flamboyantly multicolored mane (putting my eyes to shame), an orange earth pony with a hat and ponytails, and the sparkling white unicorn from earlier, Rarity.

Looking around more, I noticed a punch table, along with a sheet of cupcakes. There were also games set up, and a music booth. After the initial coronary crisis, I noticed ponies immediately getting to the partying. I even recognized my new companions. Vinyl was revving the music up, while Berry kept the punch bowl refilled. Aloe and Lotus were set aside from the party, with a booth advertising free massages, if you could correctly guess which one you saw the eyes of under a sheet. So unfair. It's hard enough to tell them apart.

Twilight, with an obviously irritated expression, was making her way to the punch table while being followed by the pink pony who seemed to be in charge of everything. She was bouncing around exuberantly, beaming and chattering, completely oblivious to Twilight's obvious annoyance. Suddenly, in the middle of a sentence it looked like, the pink mare let out a loud gasp, much like she had earlier today. After the gasp, she resumed speaking normally. Was that a strange medical condition?

I watched them for a few more moments, until Twilight picked up a bottle to pour in her drink. I noticed it was hot sauce, but before I could warn her she had already taken a drink. She seemed to be set alight from it, and without much ado, ran upstairs. That had to burn. Shortly after, the pink mare picked up the hot sauce and slathered it on a cupcake... And ate the cupcake... Eww...

I trotted over to Vinyl's booth, chatting with her about the selection of music she was giving us tonight. Apparently, this music was her normal fare, and was far more upbeat and hectic. She had a couple switches on her board that controlled strobe lights, even changing their colors. Without even seeming to try, she had the party in her hooves, almost scaring me with how easily she controlled their dancing. She even managed to get a couple ponies eying each other across the room to be pushed together in order to meet and dance. Damn... Scary.

I finished chatting with Vinyl and was about to head downstairs to get my bag when I was stopped by a slightly inebriated Berry Punch. Heh, bartender's been snitching some of the stock, it appears. She simply wanted to thank me for giving her a good conversation earlier. She wasn't used to anypony actually communicating with her as an equal.



I bid her farewell, and finally made it downstairs. The noise of the party drifted away, but my heart was pounding loudly. The time had finally come to see what message the object of my adoration had left me. Fumbling with my magic, I shakily opened my bag and rummaged through in search of her letter. I finally found it in my notebook, bookmarking the page that was reserved for the next lesson. I opened it hastily and read over her neat writing. Scanning the letter twice, I could not believe the words that were on the page. I put the letter down, catching my breath as I looked around the basement. The shadowed corners gave the room an eery feel to my panicked mind. I recalled the letter perfectly, burned into my mind.

My faithful student, Novalis,

You have progressed finely through your studies, and have shown that you have a keen and quick mind, even if you can get distracted easily. You will need your wits in the upcoming days. My sister and I have discerned that an ancient prophecy will be fulfilled, a prophecy that is hidden within a book Celestia gave her own student. While Twilight Sparkle has a knack for prophecy, I can tell that you would be rather skeptical of them. Be warned, the creature Discord will awaken in two days time, and there is nothing my sister nor I can do to prevent this. Nor can we stop his subsequent rampage. The only way we can stop him is for the Elements of Harmony to be rediscovered. I pray that you will be successful, for all Harmony now rests with you and your friends. Goodbye, Novalis. I know you will all succeed, and free me and my sister.

Sincerely,

Royal Princess of Night

and Holder of Providence

of All That lies Within:

Luna ex Somnus et Astra

Twilight was right! This ancient enemy of the Princesses, the one made for and rejected by the solar Princess, would return. I could only imagine the horrible destruction he would cause. Images of blackened towns, ruined castles, and ponies in agony sped through my mind. But the worst image of them all was of Princess Luna in his clutches. The cruelest ministrations he could perform on them. I felt my head becoming light, and my senses grew fuzzy. My vision clouded, blinked, and faded as I fell to the floor.



A/N3: OK, it may not be the best... I probably disappointed on many fronts. But this is how I am choosing to build this story, so please bear with me. I hope that you still enjoyed it. Hell, I hope y'all are still actually reading it. Farewell for now, and brohoof on y'all.

Author's Note:

A/N: Argh, I wish my work had a uniform schedule, and not this randomized bullshit... Sigh... I'm sorry to all of you for my lack of writing, but I hope this chapter is good enough to at least make up a little for it.

A/N2: Well, I finally regained my writing urge. I am dearly appreciative to those who waited. Two months have passed since my last chapter. And either you are all patient and understanding... or... Have left me, haha. Let's see which group YOU fall into. Who will read this chapter?