• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 6,176 Views, 336 Comments

Nocturnality - Kotushk Fier



Just a romantic story between the Night Princess and an OC.

  • ...
11
 336
 6,176

Diurnality

"Novalis, Celestia wants to meet you."

And that is how I ended up here, alone. The second of the Diarchs in Equestria was standing before me, an unreadable look upon her royal features. Her white coat gleamed in the sunlight, which streamed through the high windows within her courtroom. Shafts of light illuminated her armor, glittering and glinting in a subtly dazzling display. The light refracted off the white stone, making it seem almost as if the light danced in her sanctum. Empty of all other ponies, the large white room was quite intimidating, having no furniture aside from her mahogany throne. Her lustrous pastel mane and tail billowed behind her as she slowly began to walk towards me, scrutinizing me with her magenta eyes, full of weight and power. This was the princess who handled judgment of crime and wrongdoing in the world. Her authority, was absolute.

I was nervous, to say the least. Luna assured me that I wasn't going to be punished, but the stare I was receiving right now was oppressive and suffocating. I felt as if all my past sins, even ones I was imagining on the spot, were laid bare before her almighty gaze. She finally came to a stop before me, staring down at me, at which point I literally began to cower before her. Her expression changed slightly, a look of discomfort fleeting across her features before vanishing within the mask she wore. Though at first this was something I ignored, it began to eat at me the longer we stayed like this, until I spoke up.

"Your Highness, if I may, you called me here to speak to me, yet you have been most intimidating. I would like to have... a good conversation?"

The change that came over her features was instantaneous. First came shock, then confusion, then joy. She came to me and enveloped me in a hug, laughing and talking quickly. I couldn't make out much, aside from her happiness that Luna spoke true of me. Apparently my gift for being unable to keep my mouth shut was handy around royalty. Eventually she calmed down enough to speak normally, and release me from her crushing embrace. She began her story simply, without much emphasis or emotion in her voice, but her face spoke volumes.

She told of the time before Discord, when she and her sister roamed far and wide to avoid his clutches. When I asked of his interest in them, she divulged a secret to me. Discord wasn't after both of them, not at first. He was a creation of their father, who had shaped Discord into being to balance the world. Celestia had been betrothed to him, but could not find it within herself to love the creature he had become. As chaos was who he was, his shape had warped and twisted itself, creating the vile and monstrous visage everyone came to know. As she could not love him, he gave into insanity, using his formidable powers to try to coerce her into his marriage. Soon after fleeing his grasp, spies began to report to her that he was now quite deranged, believing to have both sisters to himself. Soon after Luna joined her in exile, and they spent the greater part of two centuries trying to find a way to vanquish him.

When they finally fashioned the Elements of Harmony, they returned to Equestria for their final stand. They were haggard and tired of fleeing, ready to fight or fall. Discord was unrecognizable, his madness consuming his once playful nature and twisting him into a cruel fiend bent on torturing anypony he saw. When they arrived before him he had been encasing ponies in a realm of reality where their every move would trigger a catastrophe, but standing still would allow lava to reach them. While the horrors unleashed by moving never touched them, their fear paralyzed them, leaving them defenseless until Luna and Celestia interrupted him.

Turning slowly to face them, his face at first showed a sick joy until he saw the Elements upon their necks. As he was a Spirit of the world, he recognized the ensorcelled Spirits of Harmony, and his face twisted in rage and scorn. His laughter echoing from his mouth, he began to conjure his reality warping abilities. The castle around them began to melt, and the stone puddles began to coalesce into golems. The golems were strong and slow, with the only intent of capturing the two alicorns trespassing on Discord's territory. While they battled the stone amalgamations, Discord sat upon his throne, cackling and teasing the two mares. Sensing his greatest weakness, arrogance, within him, the two allowed themselves to be captured. Commanding the golems to bring the two before him, he began to give a speech about his vision of the world. He closed his eyes, laying for them a picture of absolute anarchy, where ponies were never able to find peace, where they would suffer as he did. When he raised his arm at a particularly vile dream of his, they had enough. They charged the magic within the Elements, sending their power directly into Discord. But the aim of each mare was different. Luna wanted to vanquish and destroy him, but Celestia wanted to imprison and rehabilitate him. The conflicting ideals joined together with the will of the Elements, encasing Discord in living stone, where he remained to this day.

As she finished her tale I felt conflicting emotions. I had grown up with the story of Discord, but there was never background to it. Everyone merely thought he was a monster, borne from pony nightmares and given life by their fears. To know that he was once merely a creature in love shed new light on the subject. I looked to Celestia, and found tears running from her eyes. I spoke softly, alerting her to the wetness on her face, which she rubbed away with an awkward smile. Talking gently, I asked her if she felt anything towards him. She didn't know. She had given much thought to him over the millenia, and at times she felt the revulsion of her youth, but at other times she knew it was immature to base her opinion on appearance alone. She knew him when he was young, when he was merely mischievous and playful. He never hurt anything with his pranks as a child, but she never saw his love until much later.

Thinking back to the night when I touched the orb, I remembered my brother's prayer. I hadn't spoken to him of it, and now I had no idea what to say to her. I had planned on mentioning him to her, in passing, but I wasn't about to play matchmaker to a mare in confusion, especially when the mare was a princess and the one likely to be heartbroken was my brother. I decided to play it safe, for the time being, and asked her to speak more of herself.

She spoke of her father and mother, whom she knew, but Luna never had. Luna was born and left on Equestria after The Aeternam had gone into sleep, and was two thousand years younger than Celestia. The Aeternam was wise beyond belief, but his wisdom was enigmatic to anypony younger, especially his daughter. Caeli was detached, travelling space to try to find something in the void to fill her own void. Being raised more by her father gave Celestia greater wisdom of the world, but she raised Luna as she had wished to be raised by Caeli, with nurturing love. Because of the lack of motherly love, Celestia had grown accustomed to wearing a mask around most, which was why so many seemed to fear her. She was grateful to me for speaking to her normally. She even told me she was glad to have this... good conversation.

I left her courtroom feeling burdened by my new knowledge of the world. I wracked my brain, trying to find a way to help my brother, losing myself in my thoughts and almost missing my class with Luna. When I realized the time, I galloped to her antechamber, where I found her in the most stunning outfit I had ever seen grace anypony.