• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 6,177 Views, 336 Comments

Nocturnality - Kotushk Fier



Just a romantic story between the Night Princess and an OC.

  • ...
11
 336
 6,177

Dream

I was standing in front of Princess Luna's room, nervous about how much she would be making me work this night. Sure, I loved the night sky, adored it really, but I wasn't sure how that would change if I was suddenly forced to do a massive amount of work concerning it. I knocked lightly on her door, watching as the large, heavy oak door swung in, revealing her antechamber to be empty. I made myself comfortable on the couch, studying the room, trying to see if anything was new. And there was, a small black and silver orb was sitting on her desk, which caught the light and fractured it into a hazy aura. Intrigued by the strange object, I went to the desk to give it a closer inspection. Once I was closer I could feel power emanating from it, resonating in my horn, vibrating through my body in a not uncomfortable manner. Soon I began to hum, although I knew not why, and picked up the fascinating object. When I touched it however, my world exploded.

White light shot from the orb and enveloped me, crushing me into a snow white void. I could hear crying voices, gentle murmurs, and laughing. I could hear what sounded like prayers, beseeching the Princesses to help them, and I could hear thanks given to them as well. After awhile I realized I could focus on the voices, and even some I could recognize. Within this maelstrom of voices, I could make out the voice of my brother, low, and in pain. He wanted to be in the Royal Day Guard, to my surprise. But what really shocked me was his reason. He prayed to Celestia for guidance in his heart, for he loved her, much as I loved Luna. He wanted to be a guard, but not if it would cause problems between himself and Celestia. He was also afraid of his power, saying that his illusion magic made him feel like a changeling, and he felt no one would ever trust him.

I backed away from the orb on Princess Luna's desk, shaking from the overwhelming power of it. A noise from within the room caused my head to snap up, my eyes searching and finally focusing on the night princess. Luna was staring at me strangely, and came over to stand before me. I tried to drop into a bow, apologizing as I did so, but she caught me in her wings and lifted me, gently using her hoof to force me to look into her eyes. Staring into her beautiful blue eyes, I felt myself relax, as I saw no anger, no hatred, not even disappointment. No, rather, I saw surprise. As she set me on the ground, she told me that the orb I just had the pleasure of communing with was her half of a set of ancient orbs. Her sister owned the other one, and they allowed them to listen to their little ponies, allowing them to travel where they needed to do the most good. She also said that she was amazed I was still alive, though. The orbs chose who could listen to them, and of those who have without going insane, I was one of three. Shocked, I belatedly realized that she meant I was the only other one aside from the princesses who the orb had protected from the onslaught of prayers. Falling heavily onto my flank, she began to tell the story of the orbs.

Long ago, before the Elements of Harmony, the Orbs of Praying were created. They were made with the task of trying to help the creator's family, but she had put too much power into them. The orbs exhausted her magical reserves, and when she lay beside them, she tried to touch them, to make sure they worked. The orbs assaulted her, exhausting her further, eventually breaking her mind. When her family found her, they shunned and reviled the orbs, using their magic to send the orbs flying to different ends of the world. Jump ahead 500 years, to Discord's Reign. The world was in the grip of Chaos itself, and everyone was miserable. Celestia and Luna, the last two Alicorns of their race, had distanced themselves from the world, ashamed that even with all their power they could do nothing to help. On the run from Discord, they stumbled into a cave, finding the Orbs nestled within. With shaky hooves, each sister picked up a separate orb, the one that resembled themself. Luna had her black and silver orb, whilst Celestia had a white and gold one. The orbs soothed them, coursing revitalizing power into them, and shielding them from the prayers' assault. Listening to the voices within, the two young Alicorns made a pact, to bring the six top prayers into the world. Ponies across the land prayed that their neighbors would be more Honest. Some wished the shopkeepers to be more Generous. Friends were often in trouble because their friends weren't Kind. Spouses were heartbroken when their life mates weren't Loyal. They wanted more Laughter in the world. They wanted the world to be Magical. Focusing all their might together, the Princesses forged the Elements of Harmony into existence, drawing upon the purest energies in the world, and beseeching the ancient world spirits embodying the different qualities. The Spirits, in turn, engraved themselves willingly into the Elements, focusing more power within them, creating the tools necessary to end the rule of Chaos.

I looked in pure amazement as Luna finished the tale of the Elements. Many knew of their powers, and what they've done, but few ever asked where they came from. To know that the orb I just touched was the key to making the princesses stand and fight was mind boggling. Luna was facing away from me, and refused to look at me after she concluded her story. I walked up to her, inquiring after her, and received a response that shocked me. Luna was ashamed. Both her and her sister were ashamed that they had not fought from the beginning, had run away while others suffered. They were afraid that anyone who knew would hate them. But most of all, they hated themselves for continuing to let themselves rule over us, knowing they didn't deserve it.

I was very negative towards this idea, as you could imagine. They had done so much for all of us, helping us establish order, rescuing us when they could still have ignored us, and raising the sun and moon to give us our much needed day and night. Without the constant cycle, our crops would never grow, without their wisdom, we would all fight and bicker, without THEM, WE WOULD BE LOST!

Luna looked at me when I vented, her eyes wide. I told her how much the ponies of Equestria absolutely adored her and her sister, how much they meant to us, how much they were a part of our lives. We needed them, and nothing would change that. They may have fled in the beginning, but since the fall of Discord, they have steadfastly defended Equestria from outsiders. They helped us rebuild our lives. They WERE our lives. After my tirade, I calmed down enough to realize I had been shouting at a Princess, and I looked to her fearfully.

But instead of anger, I saw joy on her face. Before I knew what was happening, she had rushed over to me, lifting me into a crushing hug. To my surprise, I could feel wetness on my shoulder. She was crying on my shoulder?! In my ear she was whispering thanks to me, thanking me for forgiving and accepting her. I was speechless. There was no class in the world to tell me what to do with a crying, yet happy, princess.

After awhile she calmed down, and released me. Wiping away her tears, she asked me the single most life changing question I had ever been asked. She asked me to be her advisor. Her most trusted advisor. A position in the government that would allow me to be by her side whenever she needed me, a liaison between herself and the more common pony. Her voice in council when she was away.







Of course I said yes.....