• Published 3rd Jun 2017
  • 494 Views, 0 Comments

Glint Stones: Answers - Middle Ground



Twilight and Spike search for answers in Canterlot.

  • ...
 0
 494

Chapter 4 - Darkness

A new morning came like always with Princess Celestia raising the sun. Twilight woke up to see her do so, and even though the dark clouds were still so thick, the light of the sun still illuminated the land. She got out of bed, fixed up her mane and tail, and looked at the clock. It was 9:08 am, so she left her room to get some breakfast. She left Spike to sleep in for the morning. She made her way to the kitchen to see the maids gathered around, talking with concerned expressions on their faces. They noticed Twilight walk inside and they quickly dispersed to attend their daily duties. Twilight noticed this and was confused.

"Good morning." Twilight's greeting gave the maids a scare. She knew there was something going on.

"Good morning, Princess Twilight...! Would you like some breakfast?! We have apples, bread, or we can make pancakes for you!" The maids quickly presented themselves before Twilight in a row. Twilight became suspicious of their behavior considering how obvious it was.

"Alright, what is going on? You're all acting strange...." The maids all froze when she asked the question.

"Please forgive us, Princess, but Princess Celestia ordered us to not tell you anything...! You will have to ask her!" Twilight became concerned and left the kitchen to meet with Princess Celestia. She ran to the throne room to see only Princess Luna alone, pacing back and forth in concern.

"Princess Luna, what's wrong? Did something happen...?" Princess Luna stopped pacing and noticed Twilight. She quickly kept her distance.

"G-Good morning, Twilight. Have you had breakfast yet? Perhaps I can make some pancakes for us." Princess Luna tried making her way to the kitchen, but Twilight quickly cuts her off.

"Princess Luna, you and your sister are keeping something from me. I want to know." Twilight was beginning to lose her patience with the secrecy. Princess Luna gave a great sigh, knowing she couldn't keep the secrecy going any longer. She then whispered in Twilight's ear and Twilight then dashed out of the throne room and then out of the castle. Spike finally woke up and saw Twilight run out.

Spike yawned, "Good morning, Princess.... Where is Twilight going?" Princess Luna then noticed Spike and then hugged Spike from concerned.

"Princess...?" Spike was confused by this gesture.

"Spike...you need to hear this." It hurt Princess Luna to tell Spike, knowing how young he is. As for Twilight, she ran as fast as she could to the University to see Princess Celestia and the scientists gathered in the room where the black rock was supposed to be. Except this time, there was no black rock to be found. Just a big empty space with red marks on the floor.

"Princess...!" Twilight was exhausted from the mad dash due to not only just waking up, but not eating breakfast. Her heart thumped faster than a drum out of terror. Princess Celestia and the scientists noticed her and became very concerned.

"T-Twilight...you're here. Please...let me-"

"Princess, tell me...! What happened to Moondancer?!" Twilight was in no mood for any more secrets. She wanted answers now.

The lead scientist stepped forth and said, "Princess Twilight, your friend, Moondancer, is gravely injured and is at the hospital right now." Twilight felt her entire body turn cold. She looked back at the red marks on the floor and dread the thought of what those marks were. She then turned and dashed off for the hospital, but Princess Celestia stopped her with her magic.

"Twilight, you need to calm down...!"

"Let me go...! I need to see her right now...!" Twilight struggled to break loose of the magical binding, but Princess Celestia kept a firm hold on her.

"Twilight, I understand your concern, but you must calm yourself! We haven't heard anything from the hospital yet, so they might still be treating her!"

"I can't just sit here and not be there for her...! I have to do something!" Twilight kept struggling, but she was too tired to keep it up for long. Princess Celestia kept her down until Twilight eventually gave up her struggle. Twilight then sat on her rear legs and Princess Celestia released her from the magical hold. Tears ran down Twilight's cheeks, fearing the unthinkable to happen to her dear friend.

"How did this happen...? When did it happen...?" Twilight rubbed the tears from her eyes as she tried to compose herself. It was proving to be very difficult.

"I can't say for sure, but maybe you should meet with the one who reported this to the Royal Guard. His name is Dusty. He's the janitor. You'll find his house on 4th Royal Avenue. It is number 104. He'll tell you what happened." Twilight then got on her hooves and made her way out.

"Princess...what should we do now?" The scientists were all concerned and afraid.

"This must be kept a secret from every pony. Whatever happened to Moondancer must never be discussed by anypony. No exceptions." Princess Celestia left the room and the scientists are agreed to keep quiet about this unfortunate event.

Princess Celestia sighed, "Twilight, be sure to eat something before doing so. You cannot think clearly on an empty stomach." Twilight nodded silently and made her way to 4th Royal Avenue. As she made her way into town, she walked over to a café to eat a bagel and then left once she was finished eating. Finally, she arrived at 4th Royal Avenue and then she found the house with the number 104 as instructed. She knocked on the door, hoping Dusty was still home. The door was opened by a gray-colored Earth Pony stallion with a blue mane and tail.

"Um...good morning, miss. Can I help you?" Dusty looked very tired when he opened the door.

"Are you Dusty, the janitor who works at the University?" Twilight had to be sure.

"Yes, I am. Though, I'm just one of a few janitor at the University. Why...?"

"I'm here to ask about what you saw last night. May I come in?" Dusty then opened his tired eyes wide from the mere mention of what he saw.

"Why do you need to know about that...?" Dusty's legs began to tremble like jelly.

"Because the mare who got hurt is my best friend." Twilight felt her heart grow heavy out of sadness. Dusty was surprised to hear this.

Dusty looked through the avenue and whispered, "Alright, you may come inside. We must be quiet though...!" Dusty panicked as he allowed Twilight entry. They went inside to talk about what happened with Dusty serving tea. Dusty's gray coat grew paler and his hooves trembled. Twilight could tell that whatever he saw must have terrified him. She poured herself a cup of tea considering how much Dusty was trembling.

"So...um...what do you want to know?" Dusty tried to pour his own cup of tea, but he could barely keep himself still.

"Maybe...the beginning?"

"Ah...right. The beginning. Well...I was out doing what I usually do at the University. I was doing my night-shift as the janitor, cleaning up the halls and floors. And then I made my way to the room where that big rock was supposed to be to end my shift. But then I saw that young mare in the room. I was about to ask why she was there, but then I saw her place her hoof on the rock and suddenly the rock shattered. And then all the rocks turned into a liquid and formed into another pony! It was a mare who was as tall as the Princess and her eyes were soul-piercing! She had a horn and wings like the Princess too! I was so shocked by this, and THEN this tall mare used her wings to cut up your friend! And then the tall mare vanished.... I carried the young mare in a panic, brought her to the Royal Guard, and then took her to the hospital! At first, they thought I was the one who did that to the mare, but the teachers and students proved my innocence. I told them all that happened and I couldn't sleep the entire night after that. That's it." Dusty then became really tired after telling Twilight everything he knew. Twilight was horrified by what she heard as she finished her tea.

"Did you see what this tall mare look like?"

"Uh...no, I didn't. It was too dark to see. And I was too focused on the mare that got attacked. Sorry...."

"No, it's fine. As long as Moondancer is safe, that's all that matters. Thank you." Twilight began to make her way out of the house.

"Thank you for the tea, Mister Dusty." Twilight then left the house without another word.

"Any time...." Dusty was also worried for Moondancer's health. But there was nothing else he could do. Twilight then began making her way to the hospital, hoping to see Moondancer doing just fine.

"TWILIGHT...!" Twilight then saw Spike running straight at her with tears streaming down his eyes.

"Spike...! Did you-" Spike then grabbed onto Twilight, desperately needing a hug.

"Twilight...is it true?! Is Moondancer hurt?!" Spike was scared to death.

"Yes, Spike.... I'm going to the hospital to see her right now." Twilight held onto Spike to comfort him.

"I'm coming too...!"

"Are you sure, Spike? It might be too much for you...." Twilight became concerned for Spike's emotional state.

Spike then quickly rubbed tears from his eyes and replied, "Yes, I'm sure." Spike did his best to keep the tears from coming back. Twilight nodded and they both made their way to the hospital. They finally arrived at the hospital and stepped to the front desk.

"Excuse me, my name is Twilight Sparkle and this is Spike. I'm here to check up on my friend, Moondancer." The nurse then began looking through the papers to find Moondancer's name.

"Ah yes, the one who arrived last night. You two...might not like what you see. Are you sure you're ready to see her?" Twilight and Spike nodded. They had to go see Moondancer to make sure she was alright.

"Alright, follow me." The nurse then lead Twilight and Spike to a room on the second floor with the number 7 on the door.

"When we go inside, I would like you to please keep your voices down. She is...in a very delicate state right now." The nurse opened the door. Twilight and Spike stepped on through to see Moondancer's older sister sitting at her bedside.

"Twilight...you're here. And Spike too." She had a very sad look on her face.

"Moon Shine...you're here too." Twilight and Spike sat on the opposite side of Moondancer's bedside. They all looked at Moondancer who was in a deep slumber, covered in bandages.

"Moon Shine, what's wrong with her? Why isn't she waking up...?" Spike was so scared to see Moondancer in such a state.

"She is in a coma, Spike. She won't wake up for some time now." Moon Shine then placed her forehead on Moondancer's in sadness.

"Why...? Why would anypony do something so horrible to her? What did she do to deserve this...?" Tears ran down her cheeks from the heart-wrenching sight. Twilight and Spike had nothing to say to make her feel better. At this point, all they could do was hope Moondancer would pull through.

"Spike...let's go. They need some time alone." Twilight then began to leave the room. Spike didn't want to leave, but he did anyway. They then left the hospital and left for the castle to meet with the Princesses. They arrived at the castle and entered the throne room to see Princess Celestia and her sister speaking to a large group of Royal Guard ponies.

"Now that I have told you of what happened, I want you to be on constant alert. Double the patrols, double the security, double anything and everything. And do not, under any circumstances, speak a word of this to anypony. Do you understand?" Twilight and Spike knew that this was very serious if Princess Celestia would give such a command.

"Yes, Princess!" The Royal Guard ponies then left throne room to do as they were commanded. Twilight and Spike then stepped forward to meet with the Princesses. They were both very sad; Princess Celestia gave Twilight a much needed hug while Princess Luna gave Spike a hug as well.

"Twilight, did you meet with Dusty today?" Princess Celestia then stopped hugging Twilight.

"Yes, I did. He told me about last night."

"Did he tell you anything that might help us?"

"He told me that the black rock turned into another pony and attacked Moondancer. I guess you already know that...."

"Yes, we do."

"He also told me something...unbelievable."

"That the one who attacked your friend had a horn and wings, yes?" Twilight was surprised to find out that even the Princesses knew of this.

"Princess, I need to know.... Are there other Alicorns besides us?" Twilight trembled at the thought of an evil Alicorn in Equestria. Even Spike was scared.

Princess Celestia gave a troubled sigh and replied, "I...do not know. All I do know is that whoever or whatever did this to your friend is still out there. Hiding in the darkness. And the only ponies who might know the answer are the ones who were trapped in the black rock."

"The Spellbind Brothers...?"

"Yes, Spike. And if they have truly forgotten their memories, then we must help them remember." Twilight and Spike agreed with Princess Celestia. It could be the only way to solve this mystery.

"Twilight, I need you and Spike to return to Ponyville and rest for a few days. When you are ready, Twilight, I will need you to bring the Spellbind Brothers to us so that we may find our answers." Twilight knew this could turn out really bad. And this was only the beginning. Twilight and Spike both knew something was going on and this was the only way to know what that is. It was time to return home.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment