• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 3,093 Views, 156 Comments

Five Crazy Trials to Date Pinkie Pie - B_25



Spike endures five trials to understand what intimacy with a mare is really like.

  • ...
19
 156
 3,093

VII - Thiller

~ VII ~

Thiller

“Coffee, sir?”

“I... beg your pardon?”

“Would you, uh, like a cup of coffee?”

“I didn't bring any bits with me to work.”

“It's... free of charge.”

The stallion blinked. He rotated on his chair, looking up at me. “Is there something wrong with it? Who's paying?”

“Nothing's wrong it with. Brewed a minute ago.” Couldn't this guy take the coffee without assuming it was poisoned? I get it—situations weird an all that. But if I wanted to harm him, I'd just use my claws are somethin'. “My marefriend and I thought we'd do something kind today.”

“Oh?”

“Also might have wanted an excuse to walk around city hall.”

The stallion's muzzle dropped as he sighed. When he looked back up, he held out his hooves and, quickly, I handed him a cup from the tray. I reached into the pouch tied around my waist.

“Don't bother,” he said, nodding. “I take my coffee as black as midnight on a moonless night. Thank you for this.” He set the cup on his desk, leaving the lid off, steam escaping. “Wish we actually had something to show you folk. Afraid everything's kinda barren around here.”

“Defiantly not a tourist attraction, that's for sure.” I looked up from the cubicle and stared across the ground floor. There really wasn't much to the building. The entrance was grand and vast, the ceiling out of reach with a beautiful staircase. “But to be honest? I enjoy it. Glad I came in here for once.”

“How's that?” The stallion said. He reclined into his backrest. “I come here every day and never gladly. Maybe you're seeing something I'm missing?”

“Nothing that important.” I took a step back, cracking my neck. “I just past by this building and never knew what it was like inside. It's cool. Nothing extraordinary, unless I have an interest in how legal works, but still, all you ponies are neat.”

“What's neater is the ponies we deal with.”

“That so?”

“Check this out.” He turned to his desk, gesturing to a stack of paper atop it. “You want to know what today's case is? Our sprinkler system.”

“Sprinkler's not working?”

“No, they're working. They've just got something in the water.” He pressed a hoof against the bridge of his nose. “A lady came in sick today. Said she use the water from a sprinkler to make tea.” He chuckled, shaking his head. “Wants a settlement. That, or she takes the case to Princess Celestia herself.”

“So much logic and the law.”

“You're telling me.” It was strange to say that I liked the stallion. He dressed nice, shirt and vest matched with a tie, all with a clean face and swept mane. “Can't let this slip through my hooves either. If another silly case makes it to royalty, Mayor Mare will have my life's work collected in a box.”

“Guess I'm lucky in that way,” I said. “If Twilight ever fires me, all my stuff is already packed in my room.” I chuckled, and so did he, something he didn't have to do because the joke wasn't all that funny. “Say, what's your name anyway?”

“...it's not a pleasant one.”

“I got named Spike because Twilight pricked herself with one of my spines.” I scratched the back of my neck. “My last name is also Dragon. Not much surprise you can do.”

There probably was, to be honest. This stallion looked like the kind of guy I would hate on the street. Clean and good looking, posture always tall, eyes alive with the spirit of the sun. Sophistication and he got along well. He looked smart but kind, approachable and attractive—a perfect kind of guy, and everything I was not.

And yet, we hit it off pretty well.

“Name's... Book Eater.”

I arched an eyebrow. “No joke?”

“Parent slacked around even after I was born.” He chuckled, his perfect bangs covering his eyes. He pushed it back with a hoof—a movement that made even my heart race. “When I was a foal, they caught me eating the pages of some book. Got a real kick out of it too.” He lifted his head. “From then on, my life's been one real joke.”

I lowered my head. “Explains why you work for the government.”

“Devoured enough books to handle the paperwork.” Book tucked his lips inward. “Just not enough to handle ponies it seems.”

“Try not to sweat that so much.” I took a step back, holding up the tray, not wanting the rest of the coffee to get cold. “Look, I can't make any promises, but Princess Celestia and I... used to be tight once upon a time. If anything comes of this, I'll make sure she inks out your name, alright?”

“I... don't know what to say.” He shook his head and his stupidly gorgeous mane again. “That's kind of you, but... you have connections to royalty?” He blinked. “You do stuff like this all the time?”

“Nah,” I replied. “Barely get out of my room to be honest with you. If anything, I won't hear the end of it from Celestia.” I sighed heavier than I should. “She'll be annoyed that I haven't talked to her lately.” I looked back at him. “But don't you worry. She'll do the favor.”

“Not really worried about the favor.” Book smiled. “It's just crazy you're friends with royalty, y'know? That you can just write a letter to the princesses, asking for favors and making arrangements.” He chuckled. “You sound very important.”

“Only in my head.” I stepped back. And then again. “I've just had the luck to be around important ponies in my life. As for me? I'm nothing to shake a stick at.” My claw was starting to curl again, but it was strange, for lies weren't spilling from my lips. “Just a useless guy who hangs around.”

“You're important to me, mate.” Book turned, picked up his coffee, turning back to lift it into the air. “Never had royalty bring me a surprise coffee. You really lighten up my day!”

“Y-You're welcome.” I swallowed the lump in my throat. “But I better get off to giving the rest of this coffee. It was, uh, nice meeting you and all that.”

“The same to you.” Book put the coffee back on the table, not making mention of my sudden nervousness. He was a pro, socially speaking. He was better than me in every way, and yet, treated me like an equal. He actually thought it should have worked the opposite way—how wrong he was.

I wasn't the savor of Equestria—my closest kinship to heroism is falling with a crystal heart to my death. Cadence saved the day. When it came to Nightmare Moon, it was Twilight, backed by the Elements of Harmony, who saved her, and then, quite possibly, the world.

I haven't done much because I am not much. I'll listen to Twilight during her peaks of anxiety, or assistant Rarity in creating her cloths—I'm there, always and ready, to listen and help each of the girls. And that help. I don't know how and how much it does, but sometimes, I like to think that, were it not for me, a villain would have torn the group apart, or a girl lost herself to madness.

Then I realized how foolish my thoughts are, and how it's better for me not to think.

“You ever go to Tracks at all?”

I blinked, escaping my thoughts. “What did you say?”

“Tracks. The bar on the edge of Ponyville?”

“Go there almost every night.” I flicked my muzzle up. “You go there?”

“Haven't had the pleasure yet.” Book pointed a hoof upward. “Some of us like to party once the work is done. We're thinking of giving that place a try sometime soon.” He smiled at me. “Perhaps we'll find you there one fine evening.”

“Knowing me? I'm sure you will.” I turned around and faced the door. It lead into the hallway. I felt strangely strong and weak, filled and drained, at the same time. “It's been good talking to you. Really good talking to you. Hold in there, alright.”

I didn't see his face, but I heard his voice.

“The same to you, my friend.”